Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What kind of terrain are you taking it on, it has no problem on forest pathways, rough enough. It's not built for cross country. Fine on anything you'd normally come across day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

What kind of terrain are you taking it on, it has no problem on forest pathways, rough enough. It's not built for cross country. Fine on anything you'd normally come across day to day.
    Have you got solid tyres fitted?

I'm only going to use mine in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just the ones that come with it I doubt there solid as you can pump them. I'll dig out the box later and see what the spare ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ddonn1979

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Have you got solid tyres fitted?

I'm only going to use mine in the city.

Same here. Won’t be going anywhere near rough terrain. Although we are talking Dublin roads and pavements. Ali express have the Xiaomi for €336 including 2-5 day delivery from Poland with DPD. Only white though. The Kugoo is €316. Looks to be with same company. Both come with 15 buyer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

I've being meaning to update this for a while now.

I got the Ninebot by Segway ES4 just before xmas. It's a heavy beast and a bit awkward when folded up. The extra battery takes the weight to 14kg (std ES2 is 12.5kg). All the weight is on the front quite high up so it does feel a bit unstable.
    I was able to get up to the max stated speed no problems, 30km/h, and found it climbs hills great. I didn't take any notice of the range I was getting so can't comment on that.
    It has suspension front and back with solid tyres but I still found some roads are very uncomfortable.
    I have little confidence in the reliability of this scooter though. I have about 100km up on mine and it died on me. Some sort of electrical fault. Its back in the shop now who have not been great at all unfortunately. They have it approx 10 days now and never called to give me an update. When I call them they state they are waiting on the manufacture to get back to them with a solution!!
    I would be interested to hear of anybody else with the Ninebot.

• Advertisement

Frank11 wrote: »
    I've being meaning to update this for a while now.

I got the Ninebot by Segway ES4 just before xmas. It's a heavy beast and a bit awkward when folded up. The extra battery takes the weight to 14kg (std ES2 is 12.5kg). All the weight is on the front quite high up so it does feel a bit unstable.
    I was able to get up to the max stated speed no problems, 30km/h, and found it climbs hills great. I didn't take any notice of the range I was getting so can't comment on that.
    It has suspension front and back with solid tyres but I still found some roads are very uncomfortable.
    I have little confidence in the reliability of this scooter though. I have about 100km up on mine and it died on me. Some sort of electrical fault. Its back in the shop now who have not been great at all unfortunately. They have it approx 10 days now and never called to give me an update. When I call them they state they are waiting on the manufacture to get back to them with a solution!!
    I would be interested to hear of anybody else with the Ninebot.

Sorry, can’t help you but interesting you posted that. I had my mind made up on the Segway as it was a name I knew. I looked at the reviews in more detail abd there was a lot of complaints about build quality (handlebar alignment was a big one) but more importantly after sales service.
    Hopefully you will get it sorted. Those things are not cheap

ddonn1979 wrote: »
    Same here. Won’t be going anywhere near rough terrain. Although we are talking Dublin roads and pavements. Ali express have the Xiaomi for €336 including 2-5 day delivery from Poland with DPD. Only white though. The Kugoo is €316. Looks to be with same company. Both come with 15 buyer protection.

I ordered the kugoo last night on geekbuying with PayPal. 288 delivered with the code antodeco posted one or two pages back.

What’s 15 buyer protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SteM

I ordered the kugoo last night on geekbuying with PayPal. 288 delivered with the code antodeco posted one or two pages back.

What’s 15 buyer protection?

If you buy it from AliExpress you get 15 day buyer protection.

ddonn1979 wrote: »
    Sorry, can’t help you but interesting you posted that. I had my mind made up on the Segway as it was a name I knew. I looked at the reviews in more detail abd there was a lot of complaints about build quality (handlebar alignment was a big one) but more importantly after sales service.
    Hopefully you will get it sorted. Those things are not cheap
    I also read that there is issues with the light affecting the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Reason I thought of getting one is seeing someone storing in the over head on the train.

Be careful mine fell over on the train. Had it folded with the stand down. The rear fender fell off. It’s a pain now at the moment to get parts with Chinese New Year.

• Advertisement

CFC007 wrote: »
    Be careful mine fell over on the train. Had it folded with the stand down. The rear fender fell off. It’s a pain now at the moment to get parts with Chinese New Year.
    Something to keep in mind.
    What one do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Something to keep in mind.
    What one do you have?

M365.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonatddavid

Thanks CFC007.
    Thinking of buying this one and have just read a few pages of this thread... Would you recommend purchasing based off your experience? My terrain would be normal enough and is there anything specific you have found I should be aware of. Thanks

antodeco wrote: »
    I have a Kugoo S1. I received it on Friday. Took 5 days to arrive, which isn't bad considering the challenging weather in England.

First thoughts on it so far are good (I have nothing to compare it with however). Took it out yesterday for short bursts, and took a while to get used to. Got up to 36kmh on a flat surface.

Gave it a proper run today, around Parkwest. Wet weather riding is quite different. I had a fall after 5/10 minutes. Hit the brakes as was slightly downhill on a greasy redbrick path, and back slipped out and down I went. Besides for a bruised ego, nothing major (did take a chunk out of the scooter).

The braking takes a bit of getting used to. Thumb brake does front brake, and rear brake is operated by you standing on the rear mud guard. Cruise control randomly seems to kick in. Have learnt that if you hit the accelerator again, it turns it off (as does the thumb brake only).

I went off road today (proper off road, mud trails and very uneven grass surfaces), and it dealt with them quite well. Had to give an extra push with my foot every now and again, and got some wheel slippage on the very wet grass and mud, but didn't get stuck /quote]
    Have you had a chance to use it anymore after the fall??

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Read on Bloomberg that Ninebot manufactures about 80% of the scooter/hoverboards/etc that come out of china including the ones sold by Xiaomi. can dig up the article but sure you can google it.
    it doesnt necessarily mean that they're all the same quality

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Have you had a chance to use it anymore after the fall??

Just the half hour off road after the fall!

Haven't been on it since as not using it for commuting yet. Will wait until the weather is just a little better and I've had more practice on it!

Just the half hour off road after the fall!

Haven't been on it since as not using it for commuting yet. Will wait until the weather is just a little better and I've had more practice on it!

Bit nervous the commute myself. Have never been on one before but knowing myself I’ll probably do it first day as long as there is no ice/snow. Just keep to a low speed, especially if it’s wet...

Feel like a kid here waiting for a new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anybody know of any where you can look at / test electric scooters.

Have looked at many Youtube vids, but there is nothing like seeing them for real.

I'm from the southeast so Waterford,Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny would be handy, but I'm fairly regularly up around Kildare and Naas.

Edit. Already checked a few 3 Mobile Shops, they only seem to take orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

eagerv wrote: »

Have looked at many Youtube vids, but there is nothing like seeing them for real.

I'm from the southeast so Waterford,Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny would be handy, but I'm fairly regularly up around Kildare and Naas.

The only place I know of that allows you to take one for a test period is https://www.cyclebike.ie/. They have a shop just off Capel Street. I know it's Dublin but you might be up at some stage and take one out for a few hours.

eagerv wrote: »

If you're up in Dublin, give me a shout and you can have a go of mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭eagerv

If you're up in Dublin, give me a shout and you can have a go of mine!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I discovered the best use of the m365 yesterday. My daughter who is 9 has one(grandparent Christmas gift, don't ask). She was out playing at the end of the road and the missus said time to get her in, and the usual, I'm in my pj's line:rolleyes:, you'll have to get her. So the scooter caught my eye in the hall. Whipped it out and zoomed down the road to her horror, she wasn't impressed. Light was great at night time I was very surprised as I'd only turned it on during the day before.
    Anyway ill happily go get her in the evenings now. Great excuse to use it:D
    I toyed with getting one myself to nip to the shops, has anyone found a good solution to transporting these things around a supermarket or anything?

iamtony wrote: »
    anyone found a good solution to transporting these things around a supermarket or anything?
    Attach it to the back of the trolley and use it as a mobility trolley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

Really want one of these, feels like a proper toy for big boys moment! Not even sure how much use I would get out of it but I want one all the same.

someone convince me not to buy one because I’m very close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sono wrote: »
    Really want one of these, feels like a proper toy for big boys moment! Not even sure how much use I would get out of it but I want one all the same.

someone convince me not to buy one because I’m very close!

Buy one...
    :p

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

Bit nervous the commute myself. Have never been on one before but knowing myself I’ll probably do it first day as long as there is no ice/snow. Just keep to a low speed, especially if it’s wet...

Feel like a kid here waiting for a new toy.

Any sign of yours Zuburban?

How do people find riding these around in public ? where do ye ride them ? footpaths , cycle lanes, road ?

How do people find riding these around in public ? where do ye ride them ? footpaths , cycle lanes, road ?

Seems to be anywhere. I see people in the bus lanes. Even saw a man on one flying up the bus lane in Ballsbridge with his 6 or 7 year old standing behind him 🙄

• Advertisement

Got my Kugoo s1 today. Battery half full so gave it a bit of a go. You can definatly feel the bumps even with the suspension so I reckon the reviews of putting solid tyres on a m365 are spot as it has no suspension.

I got up to 25km with ease although I’m not sure I’ll get to the advertised 30. One thing that’s bothering me is how hard it is to fold it. I’m hoping I just haven’t got the technique down cause it is really hard to do.

Advertisement