Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My husband is a fussy eater, I need help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The hubby needs a boot up the bum. :mad:
    He doesn't deserve you OP, sounds like he is just looking for a surrogate mammy.

I can't think of any mammy that would put up with his selfish behavour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think his weird food habits are the least of your problems. He sounds like a complete child. What kind of example is this setting your son?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I can't think of any mammy that would put up with his selfish behavour
    His own probably did, hence his behaviour today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

His own probably did, hence his behaviour today.

True ! But why any woman would put up with his nonsense is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cmoidd wrote: »
    If only it was this simple. He will get upset... it’s what I did yesterday, I cooked a lovely chicken stew for today, then prepared a raclette cheese with potatoes and ham for my supper, I wouldn’t eat it. So I didn’t prepare anything for him. And asked him to make his own dinner, while I was done cooking, tired, it’s a bit of work... seating at the table about to start my supper, he came in the kitchen and said what’s for me? I said I don’t know, pick what you want. And he got upset....
    then later on after story time for our son, he cane to me saying, he felt puky and it was because of me, I didn’t cook anything for him so he had to eat an entire big bag cheese puff...

tell him to grow up or fu(k off and sort his own food out

what an ungrateful sod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I think it is time for this thread to be closed. The OP has had more than enough replies of varying degrees of helpfulness. There really is nothing more to be said on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I think it is time for this thread to be closed. The OP has had more than enough replies of varying degrees of helpfulness. There really is nothing more to be said on the subject.

Surely you want to follow this mans journey from Happy Meals to fine dining?

Based on the OPs early successes I predict that by July he will be requesting foie gras to dip his chips into

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He does like curry, chops and roast, it's just i don't know what to put on the side, i can't just give him roast potatoes or chips everyday, he won't eat veggies or mash potatoes

Jaysus! The constipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

OP, when you speak of your husband it's as if you are referring to a 6 year old, not an adult.

There are a lot more issues than food but you can't see them.

A friend of mine, he has a very restricted diet (health issues). He cooks his own meals. Sunday eve, he'll cook for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, he cooks for Thursday and Friday. Simple.

Tell your husband that is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All I know is, my wife has a friend whose husband displayed this kind of childish, odd, immature and controlling behaviour. I didnt know the guy really, but by all accounts it crept gradually into their relationship in a way that didnt alarm her too much at once.

One (rare) night she was out with my wife and others and it turned into a type of intervention, when they described the totality of the way he was treating her, compared to a typical norm. Soon after, she left him.

It doesnt matter whether you have kids or what your financial or other dependence is, no one should have to tolerate that and, after some anguish, you can be properly happy apart from him. It aint going to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

but I guess he is the one working, I should be the lovely housewife cooking nice lovely meal for him... but i’m Not

Thought that the femanazi had banned that sort of thing. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    All I know is, my wife has a friend whose husband displayed this kind of childish, odd, immature and controlling behaviour. I didnt know the guy really, but by all accounts it crept gradually into their relationship in a way that didnt alarm her too much at once.

One (rare) night she was out with my wife and others and it turned into a type of intervention, when they described the totality of the way he was treating her, compared to a typical norm. Soon after, she left him.

It doesnt matter whether you have kids or what your financial or other dependence is, no one should have to tolerate that and, after some anguish, you can be properly happy apart from him. It aint going to improve.

That escalated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can we stick to food related advice please? I'm sure the OP would have posted in the Relationship Issues forum if she'd wanted advice about her relationship ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

cmoidd wrote:
    Can you help me find food he might like, and can cook for him He doesn’t like any kind of cheese, except melted on pizza He doesn’t like any kind of vegetables, maybe lettuce but only if he has no choice About potatoes he will only eat them if they are roasted in the oven or if it’s chips He hates stew He won’t eat pasta, except if it’s spaghetti He can tolerate rice but not more than once a week and, when he will see it he will make this face and say “ewwww†He is sick of toast too[/quot

Firstly, maybe your husband chooses to behave in such ways when it comes to food but maybe there maybe undiagnosed autism? I have similar issues with food (a female in my 30s) and a younger male relative has similar behaviours as myself yet he has been diagnosed. Anyway I don't eat cheese or cream (or anything I think may contain it) mashed or roast potatoes, chunky chips, a lot of veg. My diet is limited and it is hard, especially when out for dinner. I have really tried to expand my taste buds since having children and have found some new things such as couscous tolerable so when my family are eating potatoes, I sometimes have this.
    Here's an example of dishes I like: Chicken curry, Spaghetti Bolognese or Linguine with chicken (just made with passatta and chicken stock, herbs etc no dairy), chilli con carne, paella with chicken and mussels, Roast beef/chicken with potato croquettes. I also tried sweet potato fries and although I wouldn't eat them every week, they're an ok change. I also regularly make spicy garlic prawns (prawns made with olive oil, chilli and garlic only) with baguettes and homemade soup, with a lot of veg but needs to be made with chicken stock and blended.
    I hope this helps and little. I can understand how frustrating it would be to cook for a fussy eater, I get frustrated with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

yes unfortunately many men with mental disorders are dickheads, women tend to cry and men tend to be a dickhead and get angry for stupid things. Also men have more problem to admit they have a problem

Nothing in the behaviour the OP is describing suggests this is anything to do with mental illness, unless being a spoiled, controlling, ungrateful d1ckhead is now classed as a mental disorder.

OP, to be honest there isn't much people on an internet forum can tell you about what you 'should' cook for him, or what he 'should' eat. I think you have bigger issues to deal with than just what to make him for dinner by the sounds of it. This isn't a food issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cmoidd

Thanks again everyone for all your advices and recipe ideas :)

Little update, for lunch he came back from work fairly late, I had prepared him the burger he requested, he reheated himself and ate in the sofa, but I guess it was fine because our son and I had already eaten earlier

For the evening, I wasn't really hungry and him neither, so we agreed not to eat, we had a late snack, so I cooked for our son, and i staid with him at the table, so it felt a bit like a family time, but then my husband came and ask, are you still not hungry? I told him not really, why are you ? A bit, would you mind make the pastry puff you wanted to do earlier? So nicely asked and with the actual situation I agreed. My son loved played chef to help me prepare it, my husband tried 3 times to ask if we could eat on the coach because our son had already ate, it was tempting, but the 3 times I was firm and said no, we could have a chat even if the little man isn't here. So we end up eating at the table, so an other success I would say. And when our son saw us at the table he came join us to have a chat with us too. So it was a family dinner after all

Everything seems to go the right way :)

I'm so glad we had this chat yesterday

Just a little disappointment, I asked what are you cooking for us Sunday? He said euhhh nothing, I'm not cooking! So I'm not here yet, but we're getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bellyache mccheesepuff is getting away with blue murder here.comes in and reheats food and toddles off then to eat on his couch.
    He then demands to be fed again later and has to be told 3 times to eat at the table.old bellyache mccheesepuff needs a serious dose of manners.
    Does he realize how lucky he is to walk in off the street and have food left up to him?
    And then refused to cook on Sunday saying eww?
    Holy sh1t balls is all I can say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Sometimes it's easier to cook with someone than to cook a whole meal by yourself, when you're not used to cooking… Maybe you can get him into cooking by working with him on some days?

Fabulous advance! Proud of you both!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Doctors room ghost, think very carefully before posting again in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I was talking to my wife about this thread and my 4 year old pipes up and said "she should tell him he will eat if he is hungry and if he doesnt eat the dinner she made he can go to bed hungry, then he will learn his lesson"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Some people have a weird relationship with food. I have a friend who has this problem. He is very much a manly man but I have seen him turn pale when he is pressured to eat in public (partys etc). It's not about the eating in public thats the problem its the food itself. But it's not the food itself either, if that makes sense. It's the act of eating I think that is the problem. I think sometimes people link the act of eating with something unpleasant or disgusting and that effects their enjoyment of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Neeeed updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I didn't realise it was that much of big deal, the way i am with him, i know it wasn't right the way he is acting sometimes but should we not cook for our husband? For me it is normal, it's kind of my duties
    But by reading all your comment maybe i should be harder on him

OP, my husband works full time and I’m currently on maternity leave. He still does the cooking 50% of the time. And after I had the baby he cooked the dinner every day for 8 weeks because I was looking after the baby. I think you need to get him onboard with cooking now because you’re going to need help once you have your baby. Minding a newborn, a toddler and cooking for you, a different meal for him and another one for your son is just not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

I'm shocked at his attitude and demeanour more so than the fussy eating. If you just get him to go shopping and buy burgers/ pizza etc all that stuff he wants and make you're own nice food and pop one in the oven if you can be bothered given his lack of gratitude. I personally would not be waiting on someone hand and foot like how you are for him, whether or not he works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Shemale wrote: »
    I was talking to my wife about this thread and my 4 year old pipes up and said "she should tell him he will eat if he is hungry and if he doesnt eat the dinner she made he can go to bed hungry, then he will learn his lesson"
    Out of the mouths of babes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

This thread has been going on for days now. He must be starving at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

you married a dickhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

There's an interesting book called It's Never Too Late to Have a Happy Childhood - words of wisdom. We all come into adulthood with all kinds of bits and scraps of weirdness left over from our childhood, and as adults we gradually grow out of them.

Anyway, back to food advice. Give glazed carrots a try: peel and slice carrots and put them in just enough water to cover them, adding salt, butter and sugar. Boil the water away (adding a few drops from the kettle if necessary) until the carrots are soft, and pour away any remaining bits of boiling water. They're delicious, and like sweeties! Salty and buttery and sugary, and all those flavours intensifying the taste of the carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

The more I of this thread I read,the more I smell BS.....
    This just cannot all be true.
    Maybe in 1968......Not in 2018.
    If it is, you are as big of a failure as your husband.

Sorry OP.

• Advertisement

traveller0101 and Uncharted - if you haven't got something constructive to add then don't post at all. Consider this a warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement