Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My husband is a fussy eater, I need help

Options
  • 10-05-2018 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi everyone,

My husband is a fussy eater, and so does is our son... he probably takes that from his daddy...

It’s becoming a nightmare, we always fight because of food 😭

He doesn’t like anything...
    I’m French and love food, but he won’t try anything I make, he calls it “weird” food
    when I ask him, what do you want to eat? He says Food! So I asked him, which kind of food? He says cooked food. I then says can you be more specific, and here the fight begins, he doesn’t know... I need to pull some kind of food from my hat, but whatever I propose he is either not in a mood for it or doesn’t like it... and then he is upset with me because I’m out of ideas,and he ends up just snacking...

I don’t know what to do with him... he is worst than a child!!!!

The worst is the evening, he doesn’t want to eat at the table, he wants something quick and easy to eat
    So I usually make something like Porridge or toasted sandwiches with ham or hotdogs... but Mr is sick of it, and complaining I always cook the same, but in the same time he won’t eat anything!!! It’s hard enough it has to be something he can eat in the sofa

The problem is when I finally found something he likes, he then eats it all the time and gets sick of it!
    He used to love wrap with lettuce and breaded chicken, now just seeing a wrap make him nauseous
    He used to love spaghetti bolonese, so I did it twice a week, now he won’t eat it, same with omelette

Can you help me find food he might like, and can cook for him
    He doesn’t like any kind of cheese, except melted on pizza
    He doesn’t like any kind of vegetables, maybe lettuce but only if he has no choice
    About potatoes he will only eat them if they are roasted in the oven or if it’s chips
    He hates stew
    He won’t eat pasta, except if it’s spaghetti
    He can tolerate rice but not more than once a week and, when he will see it he will make this face and say “ewwww”
    He is sick of toast too

Do you have any suggestions for me, i’m sick of fighting over food... and i’m 7 month and half pregnant, so I have something else to worry about than food!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Get him to cook his own food

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

If he is Irish or northern european he probably like only potatoes, or american "food" like mcdonalds. And tea with milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Noo has it. Let him take over cooking for the family. From time to time you can make something just to vary the fairly bland diet that he is likely to serve up (at least until he becomes a bit more adventurous); if he doesn't eat what you make it's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cmoidd

Noo wrote: »
    Get him to cook his own food

If only it was this simple. He will get upset... it’s what I did yesterday, I cooked a lovely chicken stew for today, then prepared a raclette cheese with potatoes and ham for my supper, I wouldn’t eat it. So I didn’t prepare anything for him. And asked him to make his own dinner, while I was done cooking, tired, it’s a bit of work... seating at the table about to start my supper, he came in the kitchen and said what’s for me? I said I don’t know, pick what you want. And he got upset....
    then later on after story time for our son, he cane to me saying, he felt puky and it was because of me, I didn’t cook anything for him so he had to eat an entire big bag cheese puff...

Das Reich wrote: »
    If he is Irish or northern european he probably like only potatoes, or american "food" like mcdonalds. And tea with milk.

He is Irish yes, and only eat American food, like pizza, burger, nuggets
    Fast food...

• Advertisement

He can't cook? How come he wasn't dead when you met him?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Noo has it. Let him take over cooking for the family. From time to time you can make something just to vary the fairly bland diet that he is likely to serve up (at least until he becomes a bit more adventurous); if he doesn't eat what you make it's no big deal.

Unfortunately, no way he will do that! In my deepest dream maybe...
    At the end of the day he is always tired...
    but in fairness me too, it’s not easy being 7 months and half pregnant...
    but I guess he is the one working, I should be the lovely housewife cooking nice lovely meal for him... but i’m Not

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

If I was giving you advice on how to make a toddler eat, then I'd suggest the "take it or leave it" approach. When the child is hungry enough, then they will eat what is in front of them and there is no pandering to special diets.

I would approach this problem with your grown up toddler the same way.

Imagine a grown man blaming you because he felt sick after he choose to eat a big bag of cheesy puffs. Hilarious. However, its not at all funny as this is your husband who is acting out in this spoilt and babyish way.

He can't cook? How come he wasn't dead when you met him?

When I met him, he was a student, had one meal a day, takeaway
    And was happy with it

And nowadays when i’m away to France, he only eat pizza for lunch and biscuits or microwave popcorn on the evenings...

Your husband needs to grow up, I think.

He has a choice: he can learn to cook the stuff he likes to eat, or he can be dependent on others to cook for him, in which case he gets to eat the stuff they like to cook.

What he can't do is demand that others cook what he likes for him, while he refuses to say what he likes.

I realise this creates a problem for you; to bring this situation to an end your husband needs to take some responsiblity and make some choices but, until he's ready to do that, he's not ready to do that.

You could have a word with his mother. Not that I would dream of criticising anyone's parenting style, but your husband obviously got this attitude - that it is the responsibility of others to know what food he will like and to cook it for him - from somewhere, and I'm guessing that the reason he wasn't dead when you met him was that, up to that point, his mother mostly cooked for him, and he liked what she cooked. So find out what she cooked and produce your own variation on that two or three nights a week.

• Advertisement

Jogathon wrote: »
    If I was giving you advice on how to make a toddler eat, then I'd suggest the "take it or leave it" approach. When the child is hungry enough, then they will eat what is in front of them and there is no pandering to special diets.

I would approach this problem with your grown up toddler the same way.

Imagine a grown man blaming you because he felt sick after he choose to eat a big bag of cheesy puffs. Hilarious. However, its not at all funny as this is your husband who is acting out in this spoilt and babyish way.

I know!!! It’s crazy!!! Worst than a child, but I would like things to change, introduce him to new food, cook something he might like, if he is willing to try
    Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

cmoidd wrote: »
    He is Irish yes, and only eat American food, like pizza, burger, nuggets
    Fast food...

So he eats only **** and says the food you do is "weird"?

It is a European approach. I prefer the Brazilian approach, take your belt and hold it till the child clean the plate affraid of being belted.

Your husband needs to grow up, I think.

He has a choice: he can learn to cook the stuff he likes to eat, or he can be dependent on others to cook for him, in which case he gets to eat the stuff they like to cook.

What he can't do is demand that others cook what he likes for him, while he refuses to say what he likes.

I realise this creates a problem for you; to bring this situation to an end your husband needs to take some responsiblity and make some choices but, until he's ready to do that, he's not ready to do that.

You could have a word with his mother. Not that I would dream of criticising anyone's parenting style, but your husband obviously got this attitude - that it is the responsibility of others to know what food he will like and to cook it for him - from somewhere, and I'm guessing that the reason he wasn't dead when you met him was that, up to that point, his mother mostly cooked for him, and he liked what she cooked. So find out what she cooked and produce your own variation on that two or three nights a week.

I understand, what you’re saying, he has to stop depending on someone
    And be ready to accept new food, how can I help him do that?

unfortunately I can’t ask his mother she passed away a couple of years ago, and she was cooking for her entire family.

But my husband always says she was a terrible cook, and never really liked what she was making, he ate it because he had no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know!!! It’s crazy!!! Worst than a child, but I would like things to change, introduce him to new food, cook something he might like, if he is willing to try
    Any suggestions??

Stop enabling him would be a start.

Don't cook for him make it a point and tell him why. You mothering him it's enabling his attitude and it's not healthy for him or you.

You should be spending your time on the child's diet and not man boy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not what I'd normally recommend, but some home cooked foods that emulate take always or greasy spoon might wean him onto being more adventurous in time .

Fried egg ,Sausages and chips and bachelors beans.
    Homemade burger and chips.
    Bangers and mash
    Roast Chicken and chips and mushy peas.
    Chicken Caesar salad
    Fish fingers beans and mash or chips.
    Chicken wings with franks hot sauce and butter mixed in.
    Fajitas (aldi Lidl or old El Paso kit) , with chicken ,(peppers,mushroom, onion mixed in)
    Hot Nachos with chilli mince and melted cheese on top.
    Boiled bacon cabbage and mash, (cabbage cooked in the bacon water)

Roast a chicken/ lamb leg or beef and have nice carved hot meat sandwiches .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

I understand, what you’re saying, he has to stop depending on someone
    And be ready to accept new food, how can I help him do that?
    You can't. This won't happen until he decides it's going to happen.
    unfortunately I can’t ask his mother she passed away a couple of years ago, and she was cooking for her entire family.

But my husband always says she was a terrible cook, and never really liked what she was making, he ate it because he had no choice
    And there's your answer, delivered from beyond the grave, and through the man himself! He'll eat what you cook too, if he has no choice. He'll make the odd protest, like eating crap and blaming you for it, but he can't live off Cheesy Wotsits forever.

As long as he refuses to negotiate with you over what he would like to eat, or to learn to cook it himself, he has no choice but to eat what you prepare.

I suggest maybe telling him that you're going to do a bit of weekly menu planning. You'd appreciate his input, but only in the form of suggestions about what he would like to eat, not about what he wouldn't. That gives him an easy path to taking some responsibility for meeting his own food requirements. As I say, you can't force him to take it. If he won't take it, then prepare what you think you and your son ought to be eating, and let your husband eat it or not as he pleases. After a couple of weeks of living off extruded cornstarch products, he may see advantages in contributing some menu suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

It's all very childish isn't it? Liking different food should not be such an issue. It's already been said, let him feed himself. I don't know why it's got to this insulting your cooking and calling your taste weird.

Leave him to his burger and chips or whatever he wants. He sounds ungrateful and rude. I don't know why he didn't suggest sorting his own food out a long time ago. Maybe he's been waiting for you to change to his junk food diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Show him this thread. When he reads through it might make him realise:
    a) the effort and energy you put into cooking and the level of frustration you have
    b) what an ungrateful a-hole he is being.

Having said that, if food is just one issue in a dominating relationship I imagine you wouldnt dream of showing him this. In which case maybe you need to consider the bigger picture......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hi everyone,

My husband is a fussy eater, and so does is our son... he probably takes that from his daddy...

It’s becoming a nightmare, we always fight because of food 😭

He doesn’t like anything...
    I’m French and love food, but he won’t try anything I make, he calls it “weird” food
    when I ask him, what do you want to eat? He says Food! So I asked him, which kind of food? He says cooked food. I then says can you be more specific, and here the fight begins, he doesn’t know... I need to pull some kind of food from my hat, but whatever I propose he is either not in a mood for it or doesn’t like it... and then he is upset with me because I’m out of ideas,and he ends up just snacking...

I don’t know what to do with him... he is worst than a child!!!!

The worst is the evening, he doesn’t want to eat at the table, he wants something quick and easy to eat
    So I usually make something like Porridge or toasted sandwiches with ham or hotdogs... but Mr is sick of it, and complaining I always cook the same, but in the same time he won’t eat anything!!! It’s hard enough it has to be something he can eat in the sofa

The problem is when I finally found something he likes, he then eats it all the time and gets sick of it!
    He used to love wrap with lettuce and breaded chicken, now just seeing a wrap make him nauseous
    He used to love spaghetti bolonese, so I did it twice a week, now he won’t eat it, same with omelette

Can you help me find food he might like, and can cook for him
    He doesn’t like any kind of cheese, except melted on pizza
    He doesn’t like any kind of vegetables, maybe lettuce but only if he has no choice
    About potatoes he will only eat them if they are roasted in the oven or if it’s chips
    He hates stew
    He won’t eat pasta, except if it’s spaghetti
    He can tolerate rice but not more than once a week and, when he will see it he will make this face and say “ewwww”
    He is sick of toast too

Do you have any suggestions for me, i’m sick of fighting over food... and i’m 7 month and half pregnant, so I have something else to worry about than food!!!

Thanks

My first thought on reading is that maybe you should take it to the personal issues as it seems like a behavioural problem. Your husband sounds like a child moreso than a grown man.

You shouldn't have to put up with such nonsense. The fact that he is getting upset is a bit concerning.

He is being a total ungrateful a-hole to a wife who is going above and beyond for him.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Is this in personal issues forum? How can you expect people to suggest what foods to give your husband when he acts so immaturely and unreasonably?
    It seems to me that you have been more than accomadating so what else can you do?
    Child psychologist perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’ll be honest, there’s no way I’d tolerate this. This is the behaviour of a 2 year old toddler, not a grown man who’s about to become a father again. It’s absolutely pathetic behaviour from an adult, and a terrible way to treat his wife. How are you coping with all of this, how does it make you feel?

Given that he is such a man-child, perhaps you can try applying techniques for toddlers to him? Perhaps the folks in the parenting forum might have suggestions for getting fussy kids to eat more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Tell him to eat it, make his own or go hungry. And to stop being a complete dickhead. For every day he eats your dinner and moans about it, exclude him from what you make the following day. No human over 3 years old should behave like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I bet he doesn't do any housework or tidy up after himself either. What you have here is a spoilt and manipulative man. I think it's a control issue for him, even if he doesn't realise it.
    I have a few ideas which may help but not knowing the person, they may be of no use. But you have to do something to make family life better before the baby arrives.

Start by insisting on all meals at a properly set table, with no television or phones. Prepare meals which are nutritious and varied, eat for a set period of time and then clear up. Explain that you want to teach your child proper eating habits and you need him to give good example.

Then refuse to discuss or think about food till the next meal. You are teaching two babies how to behave and the bigger one needs to toe the line.

Don't comment if he complains. Maybe buy a book on basic nutrition and let him read about the need to have a balanced diet with the correct minerals and vitamins.

Try to set up a new routine before baby arrives, otherwise you will not cope.

Get him to do the shopping using a detailed shopping list based on a weekly menu plan. If he has never cooked he might actually enjoy it if he had some lessons.

Children tend to eat veg if the are involved in growing it. could you have a tiny veg patch and grow some lettuce and scallions and maybe a few herbs.

Get him some multivitamin and mineral tablets as he must be deficient in these as a result of his diet.

You are his wife, not mother or slave. Good luck and hope things change for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

What about a hypnotist? I'm actually serious, I've heard of this being done before, and it does work with some People.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I think his problem is not with food, people that behave like that many time have some kind of depression or mood disorder. An adult person shouldn't be so upset regarding food, there something else wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Tl;dr

You married a typical Irish man child. Life's too short and I never get why people martyrdom themselves in such a relationship.

A relationship is a two person give and take, not a one take all. If I went on like that my wife would rightly put me in my place as I would for her.

Figure out what you want from him, lay it out clearly to him and if it doesn't change in a given time move on.

Life is short but it can be fierce long married to a person like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He will get upset... said what’s for me?...I said I don’t know, pick what you want. And he got upset....

then later on after story time for our son, he cane to me saying, he felt puky and it was because of me, I didn’t cook anything for him so he had to eat an entire big bag cheese puff...

Is this your son or your husband? It's very childish and manipulative behaviour. I wonder if you would put up with it if your son behaved like that.

It's clear that he doesn't appreciate how hard you work to cook good food for him. He doesn't know what he wants so he needs to start by learning about food. He needs to be able to do the weekly shop and plan out what he family wants for the week.

Rather than making meals day to day, try getting him tonight down and plan out the food for the week. Get him to say what dinners he likes and agree get him to come with you to do the weekly shop.

He needs to learn about food because it's not fair to expect you to be a mind reader when he can't tell you what he wants. The first thing is he needs to learn about food so he knows what he wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement