Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My husband is a fussy eater, I need help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 em looueding

Is this a joke?
    Get a grip lady.
    Show him Google cooking
    Then go out for a long time... a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is only one possible explanation for this situation to have been allowed develop :

The op's husband is amazing in the sack.
    He's the most passionate, attentive, creative, loving, athletic, selfless lover imaginable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Happy as Larry

My question is: Why did you not discover that he's that fussy about food BEFORE you married him? My suggestion is: get rid!!! Or let him starve......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He's the most passionate, attentive, creative, loving, athletic, selfless

Not a single one of these traits seem likely from the OPs descriptions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yaris11811

I feel very sorry for you with a husband being a fussy eater. You should not be upsetting yourself after all your are pregnant. The best solution for you is to send your husband to cookery lessons and take more care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 daveedu17

Let him eat cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Is this a joke?
    Get a grip lady.
    Show him Google cooking
    Then go out for a long time... a very long time

1 post count,
    Did you just join to comment that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cmoidd, I see that you are French, and consider it normal for you to do all the home-making etc, but to be fair in the French families I know the husband appreciate their wives and help them.

Your husband is more suited to Afghanistan than Ireland or France!

OP, on a more serious note, I genuinely think that your husband needs to read this thread.

I can understand that you can't show it to him as he would turn his upset and embarrassment towards you. But what if he were to see it by "accident"?

It could be a serious wake up call. He might take it in and say nothing to you but try to somewhat amend his ways. If he were to approach you about it, you just say that you were at your wit's end and didn't know who you could talk to without embarrassing him so you turned to strangers, online.

I think you should leave this thread open on a computer and give him time and space to find it and read it.

I suspect he has no idea how selfish and unreasonable he is being. He needs to read what you have said on this thread, whatever about all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

OP, I have a friend who refused to eat anything before the age of five except mashed potatoes (with a dip in the top for a knob of butter). Now a fabulous cook.

This person's family ate beautifully - but the little one was indulged until the time came when growing out of this diet came naturally.

You could always do this for your husband: lovingly make him his mutton stew with potatoes, steak and carrots and potatoes, bacon and cabbage and potatoes, and… well, that's it, really - oh, wait, roast chicken and potatoes - and put the leftovers in the freezer and heat them up again in rotation.

You and anyone else in the family can eat your coquilles st jacques à la bretonne, sole bonne femme, etc while he eats his mutton stew.

He may never change, or he may get sense. Either way, the big baby will get his way and your arguments will end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 cmoidd

:confused::confused::confused: Too much? How old is your son? If he was in école maternelle in France, he'd be having that kind of meal every day for lunch! Forget little-by-little: tell your son the recipes are changing from right now ... your son will accept it pretty quickly, and then it'll be clear to both of them that it's the older male who's being a baby when it comes to food. :p

My son is 4, he is "à l'école maternelle", he is starting junior infant in september
    Yes i know kids usually love sausages and ham, but he doesn't... i tried few time he just won't eat, he is trying, even when i force him he ends up vomitting... it's really difficult with him too, i don't know what to do...
    Bambi wrote: »
    I don't have any solutions but I knew a few lads who were like this, only liked a few specific meals, usually junk food or spuds and only drank one thing, like coke

They were, predictably, idiots. I assume they all copped on eventually or died from dietary conditions

It's funny you mention that, he also drink 2 L of diet coke a day... :D
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've read about almost all of this thread. A lot of posters have told you to ask him what he wants to eat. Reminds me of my husband shortly after we got married in the 70's and we were in our 20's. When I asked him what type of food he would like for the next days dinner he got very angry and said "just cook it and whatever it is I'll eat it!" I was shocked at his response that day. But, I believe I know what made him respond in that way then. He wasn't raised by his parents, he lived with relatives most of his single life. He would come home from work, and sit down and eat whatever was handed to him. He was never asked what he would like. And he probably never even knew what he was eating and neither did he ask. He never had to do any shopping so doesn't know what is needed to cook a meal. Your husband could be the same. When you asked your husband what he wants, he really doesn't know what is beef or lamb or pork. When my husband is in the butchers with me the only thing he can recognise is sausages!! He is a little better these days, but not much. Occasionally he can still say, "what's this we're having". :rolleyes:

I don't know if your husband is Irish, but he sounds like a very old fashioned Irish man. They have never been involved in domestic life at all and it is all foreign to them. And worse, on top of that, they don't want to be involved. My advice is to get him to talk, about his life before you met him. Did his mother cook, was she a decent cook? Has he brothers or sisters who might be able to give you ideas? Surely most Irishmen will eat a chicken curry, beef stew, chops, roasts, shepherds pie? All simple Irish food. Is he Irish?

The one thing you must accept is that this is NOT your fault. It isn't always possible to change someone who doesn't want to change.

My last thought......I hope this is not a wind up!

Sounds like my husband alright... and yes he is Irish
    His mother cooked all the meal for entire familly, but wasn't a good cook, he hated it but had no choice than eat it
    He does like curry, chops and roast, it's just i don't know what to put on the side, i can't just give him roast potatoes or chips everyday, he won't eat veggies or mash potatoes
    the_syco wrote: »
    I'm wondering why it's an issue now? Have you changed diets?

He was always a bit fussy, but it's gotten worst since we moved into our house a month ago, we were in an apartment in the city center, now we're further away from town, with not much shop around, sometimes when he was in a mood for something he just went to aldi (2 min from the apartment, that was the dream to have aldi as a corner shop) but now he just got lazy i guess
    Uncharted wrote: »
    We're getting near breakfast time now OP.....

I hope you are being really quiet sneaking through the kitchen while you prepare the King's breakfast.
    Pregnant women can be rather noisy stomping around.

You know how he needs his sleep....

Most of the time he is making in own breakfast, and this morning, he was in good mood, i guess this chat trotted in his head overnight, and he was nice this morning, he was talking to me again, asked how i slept, and prepared breakfast for our son. Things are starting to change the right way

Before he left for work, he asked if i could cook him burger for after work, and said pleaaase, he was bit sacarstic, but that's the way he is, to make his point, but i don't care, he has pride, it's hard for him to change his habits, so i'm pleased how this morning went ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Is he from Roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

cmoidd wrote: »
    His mother cooked all the meal for entire familly, but wasn't a good cook....

Why do you believe that she wasn't a good cook? Is it based only on what he says or has did she ever cook for you?

If it is only based on what he says I would take that with a pinch of salt considering how fussy he is.

His mother cooked all the meal for entire familly, but wasn't a good cook, he hated it but had no choice than eat it)

Aha. So his row with you is a continuation of his rows with his mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

M

Most of the time he is making in own breakfast, and this morning, he was in good mood, i guess this chat trotted in his head overnight, and he was nice this morning, he was talking to me again, asked how i slept, and prepared breakfast for our son. Things are starting to change the right way

Before he left for work, he asked if i could cook him burger for after work, and said pleaaase, he was bit sacarstic, but that's the way he is, to make his point, but i don't care, he has pride, it's hard for him to change his habits, so i'm pleased how this morning went ;)

Can I just say that if you call that being in a good mood and happy to put up with using please in a sarcastic manner then you need to look at your relationship .I am of a much older generation and at no stage would I put up with even a tiny bit of what I am reading in your posts .Mutual respect and mutual manners and mutual understanding is how a relationship will work .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yes i know kids usually love sausages and ham, but he doesn't... i tried few time he just won't eat, he is trying, even when i force him he ends up vomitting... it's really difficult with him too, i don't know what to do...

How long have you not lived in France? Children of that age here don't get chicken nuggets and sausages for lunch. They get proper "adult" food, and as soon as they were able to eat solids, all of mine (four) were given a mini-sized portion of whatever their mam and I were having.

Since then, anytime I've had other children to feed, the same rules apply in my house (or theirs, if I'm babysitting :) ) - chicken nuggets, cheese puffs and diet coke never make it as far as the shopping trolley, never mind the kitchen.

Just make "ordinary" food - properly cooked pasta (al dente) with a variety of sauces on the side, not mixed in (let your son do the mixing if he wants); potatoes (mash or rissolé) with a choice of raw or cooked carrots, green beans sautéd in butter, or cherry tomatoes, and a tiny piece of real meat or fish of your choice.

More than anything, though, make sure you get him involved in preparing the food - yes, even chopping veg with a sharp knife :D - and setting the table (for three, or even four so that he's already looking after his baby bother/sister!) And take him shopping - let him see real food and help choose it. By the sounds of it, you yourself have forgotten how to be French! ;)

More than anything, though, make sure you get him involved in preparing the food - yes, even chopping veg with a sharp knife :D - and setting the table (for three, or even four so that he's already looking after his baby bother/sister!) And take him shopping - let him see real food and help choose it.

This is absolutely spot on. Get the kids interested - get them talking to their teachers about nutrition, maybe get them doing a school project on nutrition, on where the different crops come from originally and how they spread https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_origins - even get them doing some growing: Lidl is offering little seed-and-soil kits as free gifts at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That lad needs to grow the **** up .
    How can an adult not have even the basis knowledge to cook a few meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

yabadabado wrote:
    That lad needs to grow the **** up . How can an adult not have even the basis knowledge to cook a few meals.

I think it's more sinister than that. He's trying to make her feel he is totally dependent on her.

Blaming her for him eating a bag of cheese puffs is very dark in my view.

OP, on a more serious note, I genuinely think that your husband needs to read this thread.

I can understand that you can't show it to him as he would turn his upset and embarrassment towards you. But what if he were to see it by "accident"?

It could be a serious wake up call. He might take it in and say nothing to you but try to somewhat amend his ways. If he were to approach you about it, you just say that you were at your wit's end and didn't know who you could talk to without embarrassing him so you turned to strangers, online.

I think you should leave this thread open on a computer and give him time and space to find it and read it.

I suspect he has no idea how selfish and unreasonable he is being. He needs to read what you have said on this thread, whatever about all the replies.

Oh no, noway, i would let him see this thread, that would ruin him!
    Yesterday he went on my tablet, i'm not sure i closed all the pages, and in the locked screen they were notifications email, i hope somehow he didn't see it... he was extra cranky when i came back home on the evening, so maybe he saw it... i make sure i close all the page of my computer and turn it off when i'm not around, too afraid he would see it... I didn't know it would go that far, i just thought it was going to be some people give me some recipe ideas...
    Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Is he from Roscommon?

No, why do you think that?

• Advertisement

Oh no, noway, i would let him see this thread, that would ruin him!
    Yesterday he went on my tablet, i'm not sure i closed all the pages, and in the locked screen they were notifications email, i hope somehow he didn't see it... he was extra cranky when i came back home on the evening, so maybe he saw it... i make sure i close all the page of my computer and turn it off when i'm not around, too afraid he would see it... I didn't know it would go that far, i just thought it was going to be some people give me some recipe ideas...

Maybe he did see it and maybe that's why he ate the dinner last night as was making a bit of an effort this morning.

I still think he needs to see it, if he hasn't already.
    Showing it to him could be seen as you wanting to hurt him but if he was never supposed to see it, then you can't be blamed.

Anyway, I hope things continue to improve.
    Let's face it, he's probably never going to be an adventurous eater but hopefully he can be less selfish, demanding and unreasonable in the future.

This is serious and is about much more than food. Don't give up trying to make improvements. If things continue the way they are, it won't end well.

How long have you not lived in France? Children of that age here don't get chicken nuggets and sausages for lunch. They get proper "adult" food, and as soon as they were able to eat solids, all of mine (four) were given a mini-sized portion of whatever their mam and I were having.

Since then, anytime I've had other children to feed, the same rules apply in my house (or theirs, if I'm babysitting :) ) - chicken nuggets, cheese puffs and diet coke never make it as far as the shopping trolley, never mind the kitchen.

Just make "ordinary" food - properly cooked pasta (al dente) with a variety of sauces on the side, not mixed in (let your son do the mixing if he wants); potatoes (mash or rissolé) with a choice of raw or cooked carrots, green beans sautéd in butter, or cherry tomatoes, and a tiny piece of real meat or fish of your choice.

More than anything, though, make sure you get him involved in preparing the food - yes, even chopping veg with a sharp knife :D - and setting the table (for three, or even four so that he's already looking after his baby bother/sister!) And take him shopping - let him see real food and help choose it. By the sounds of it, you yourself have forgotten how to be French! ;)

I've been living in ireland for 10 years now... i guessed i forgot how to be french, my mother did one meal for everyone sometimes 2 because my dad is also a fussy heater but noway as bad as my husband, and we didn't have a say,we either ate what she made for everyone or what my dad was eating, but she is a great cook, i always loved what she was making, and doing it here in ireland when i found the proper ingredients (not easy sometimes)
    But what i meant to do if he is vomitting? doesn't it means he REALLY don't like the food?
    Today i made pasta with ham and carrot for him, he did ate all the pasta 2 bit of ham, but it was really hard and few bits of carrot! :eek: i was surprise he actually ate them! and told him no snacks before 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jellybaby1 wrote:
    He wasn't raised by his parents, he lived with relatives most of his single life. He would come home from work, and sit down and eat whatever was handed to him. He was never asked what he would like. And he probably never even knew what he was eating and neither did he ask. He never had to do any shopping so doesn't know what is needed to cook a meal. Your husband could be the same. When you asked your husband what he wants, he really doesn't know what is beef or lamb or pork. When my husband is in the butchers with me the only thing he can recognise is sausages!! He is a little better these days, but not much. Occasionally he can still say, "what's this we're having".

Sorry, but this is bollox. The vast majority of people in this country grew up getting their dinner handed to them every day with little or no choice in what was on the plate. Everyone I know still managed to grow into an adult who's well aware of what's need to get a meal onto a plate.

Honest to jaysis, how any of you are putting up with these ridiculously infantilised men is utterly beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

yabadabado wrote:
    That lad needs to grow the **** up . How can an adult not have even the basis knowledge to cook a few meals.

You'd be surprised alright, guy works with me , aged 50ish, still goes to his folks for dinner. Never once seen him cook anything even basic in the kitchen.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is bollox. The vast majority of people in this country grew up getting their dinner handed to them every day with little or no choice in what was on the plate. Everyone I know still managed to grow into an adult who's well aware of what's need to get a meal onto a plate.

Honest to jaysis, how any of you are putting up with these ridiculously infantilised men is utterly beyond me.

I was an extremely fussy eater as a child. My parents were both good cooks and we had good, plain food at home every day. Even so, I hated most veg. I'd eat green beans, carrots and sweetcorn - that was it. So, I ate meat or (reluctantly) fish, potatoes and one of my three veg. I wouldn't take gravy or eat anything in a sauce (brown beef and Irish stew being the exceptions). I complained about onions and tomatoes in a shepherd's pie (ate around them). The only separate meal I had done for me was when my mum cooked a chicken curry - I got chicken and chips.

The point I'm making is that I wasn't really pandered to (much) but I was still extremely fussy. Around the age of 18, I think I copped on that I was missing out on so much that everyone else was enjoying. I moved away from home and started to cook meals like I had at home but also started to experiment.
    I never looked back. I used to be a fussy eater, now I'm a food snob:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭pgj2015

he will have you wiping his ass next, go into a charity shop and buy all the cook books they have, you will probably get 10 of them for 10 euro, give them to your husband and let him work it out, cooking in not rocket science. it should be illegal for a "man" like your husband to have a child, what happens if you die? will he feed your son mcdonalds every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Dial Hard wrote: »

My father and his 5 brothers were all ruined by their mother. They never had to lift a finger growing up, the sisters were made to do everything for them.
    Make their beds clean their football boots after training. The girls were made to wait for their dinner until after the boys were finished, so basically they got leftovers.

Im amazed that they even talk to the boys and dont utterly resent them for what their mother made them do.

The men who are all in the 60's and 70's now would struggle to do the most basic of household chores and for sure dont know how to turn the oven on.

I really dont know how they all managed to find women for whom this is acceptable, but they are all still married and still being picked up after and fed.

I dread to think what my father will do if my mother passes first.

Not just boys. When I married, back in the Neolithic, all I could do was make boiled and scrambled eggs, and a couple of fancy French dishes.

But I learned fast.

So can husbands…

Does he have male friends who can cook, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

OP just for your child I find that most children adore carrot rapée and you could even get him involved making the dressing. Kids love mixing and stirring so some mustard, lemon, balsamic vinegar (whatever flavours are preferred). Also, cucumber is a favourite of childrens.

Another sneaky way to get vegetables into the diet is to get a spiralizer. I now make courgette into noodles...don't even tell him it is a vegetable! If you are having pasta make it wholegrain to add extra fibre and nutrients.

Chopped apple, strawberries, bananas, oranges etc should become the new sweets. I call them "natures sweets". Even get him involved by making a fruit salad with you. Once again, kids love that :)

You can also make healthy pancakes from wholewheat flour and replacing the egg with a mushed up banana and adding blueberries. Very filling and good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The hubby needs a boot up the bum. :mad:
    He doesn't deserve you OP, sounds like he is just looking for a surrogate mammy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement