Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene III - The Lost World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    "sure! Who's you? I'm Retula.

Hey listen, this witch, is she just like a pure gold ball breaker or is she righteous evil? And can you point the way?"
    "I'm Bramal, the witch is pretty evil, turned a poor young fella into a goat last week....I'll show you the way."

He suddenly runs out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Retula follows, pocketing her gold and shiny pearl.

The pair leg it out to the swamp outside town, where a house lies floating in the air above. The house itself is constructed purely from vines.

"Here it is Retula" Bramal says, slightly more cogent than he was in the shop.

"Thanks Bramal. You're a real gent. You did so much more than point me in the right direction. So suspiciously much more. I'll see you in the morning with more sapphires. Night night! Unless you wanna come up with me?"

She eyes the vines

"Say, this witch doesn't have a hairy backed sister does she...?"

"Say, this witch doesn't have a hairy backed sister does she...?"
    He thinks.

"No, or at least her sisters were dead before I was born

See you tomorrow Retty, I don't want to head in, too dangerous!"

• Advertisement

Send the raven to look in a window, see if Witchy is up

A hand stretching like rubber flies out from the window and grabs Hetyaro.

He is knocked unconcious by a frying pan as he is pulled into the window.

"so I take it you're up? Evening! Bramal sent me. You gonna throw your hair down or something?"

Edit : ooc!
    If there's something to aim for, can I try to combine Thorn Whip and Newton's laws to pull myself up?

"I can sense you woman...not many older than me and you serve a darker master than mine. The evil witch of the swamp shtick probably won't mean much to you"

The house lowers and the front door opens. An old woman with jet black hair steps out, she is very well dressed in a red gown and a necklace with three large jade jewels.

"Come on in then"

"thanks. Sorry, I didn't bring anything, like a bottle of wine, Bramal kind of dragged me here in a bit of a hurry. But you hit my bird with a frying pan so quitsies?

So hey, howdja do the stretchy arm thing? That was way cool!"

She takes a look around the room and a good look at the witch, and tries doing some sensing if her own.

• Advertisement

The witch is a warlock like Retula, the magical power she possesses has been granted, forced onto her soul, it is not a natural part of her being as it is for Therai. Nor does her distortion of the web of magic exhibit the meticulous care and learned subtlety of a wizard.

"Sorry about the bird...." she bows and speaks to the air "...apologies for insulting you by proxy Raven Queen"

She sits in a comfy chair near the fire place, currently unlit, a similar one lies opposite to a small table.

"Tea, scones? The arm trick is a gift from my master"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

"ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz" Therai scratches his ear in his sleep.

"that would be lovely, thanks. Sorry to barge in so late, Bramal was just supposed to give me directions but he got a little carried away. He said you might be a good person to talk to about crafting with interesting materials?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fourier wrote: »
    One of the other bards, a 'Gunther of Tallberone', buys him some wine and sits down.

"There is a job many of us bards would like to see done, provided you are interested?"
    "Tell me all Gunthar. I have associates that will help...for the right coin. What do we seek, what do we risk and what do we achieve?"
    "And another thing, I seem to have picked up a rapier on my travels and have grown quite fond of it but it needs some attention, a little gilding, a honing of the edge, perhaps a dial that turns up to 11. Is there a worthy weaponsmith in the town?"
    "Also, would you be interested in playing at the Woodshock festival? Stellar lineup, a really interesting new band of crayfish and I am in negotiations with a Djinn on financing the whole thing. Can I add your name to the playlist?"
    In a hoarse whisper, just barely audible above the actors and players,
    "and can I score some leaf here?"

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

"My friend..." Gunthar leans in "...the weed is available at the bar, you're from where? Near Zassan perhaps. We do not follow their laws, or almost any laws at all in fact save the ones of basic dignity.

Now as for the job, well the village had a senior bard at one point, but she disappeared, Lystra. We'd want you to look into it. She had a house in the center of town.

Oh, and put me down for that festival"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"My friend..." Gunthar leans in "...the weed is available at the bar, you're from where? Near Zassan perhaps. We do not follow their laws, or almost any laws at all in fact save the ones of basic dignity.

Now as for the job, well the village had a senior bard at one point, but she disappeared, Lystra. We'd want you to look into it. She had a house in the center of town.

Oh, and put me down for that festival"
    "You can get leaf over the counter?!? I'd heard rumours but never thought i'd see the day. Hand on a moment, I'll be right back."
    Mags stocks up on SwampSkunk Nuggets and returns to the table, mellowing with every step.

"Lystra. OK, can you tell me any more about her?"

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    "Lystra. OK, can you tell me any more about her?"
    "A few of the local folk didn't take well to her when she arrived in town a few years back. This hatred was mostly drummed up by the local cleric as Lystra's songs were powerful enough to cure many diseases common in these parts. He would have seen her as cutting into his business somewhat.

She was doing her typical evening berry gathering at the edge of town a few weeks back, when she never returned."

"that would be lovely, thanks. Sorry to barge in so late, Bramal was just supposed to give me directions but he got a little carried away. He said you might be a good person to talk to about crafting with interesting materials?"
    "That I am, practicing for nearly sixty years, but you, you're over two hundred years old...if I am sensing correctly, what has your life been like, I must know."

"That I am, practicing for nearly sixty years, but you, you're over two hundred years old...if I am sensing correctly, what has your life been like, I must know."

"TWO HUNDRED? Ha! As if! Look at these cheeks!"
    She pinch-snaps her face, revelling in the elasticity of youth.
    "Betty, I'm 73! If I were any younger I'd have a tail and live inside a ball-sack! 200 is like half dead, I mean what would you do for all that time? It's putting me to sleep just thinking about it. But. well look, things happened and I had to kind of move on and grow up n stuff. It can't all be hop-scotch and pillow fights and necking in the darkmantle caves forever. Can it? I mean it's not like there are a lot of jobs or prospects in the Shadowfell, it's mostly cutting people and piercings and war and transference of various bodily fluids so maybe it can but *she* gave *me* a job so like, that's totally behind me now - I have responsibilities n stuff?"
    She gestures at her prone bird.

"So hey! I can shoot some kind of shadowfire out of my hands and whip things. What can you do? And who's your boss?"

She picks up the bird and starts nursing him back to consciousness.

Hetyaro begins to perk up.

"My body is malleable, like rubber, outside of that the summoning of piercing flames...." she walks over and begins heating some tea "...and I can manipulate people to a small extent. My Patron is a higher devil, Zariel, she has lost her position in the aristocracy of the hells, so the pact was agreed because she foresaw that I would be involved in some event that upsets the power structure of hell, provided I'm powerful enough when the time comes.

Apparently there are many such individuals she has these bets on and grafting the power to our souls takes great effort, she hasn't 'uplifted' me in quite some time."

• Advertisement

"well you're sitting in this house! Of course you're not getting uplifted - dont get me wrong, it's lovely inside and scarey as **** outside, why would you wanna leave, but c'mon - they ain't payin' less you playin'. You can't expect a boon for free! But if you're out there taking names you can negotiate, you can switch up the deal.

I mean what can you possibly achieve for your patron sitting here other than catching suckers who're jonsing so hard for power they'll walk right in, sit right down and let you rip every shred of magic out of them without ever noticing what's happening? I mean c'mon, you think a moron like that is just gonna knock on your door? Duhdoy!

So anyway, I need to buy some charcoal, incense, that kind of thing - can you hook me up?"

"Yes....I'll give them to you for free....if you take me on as a retainer" she says placing the scones and tea down on the table.

Retula feels a strange sense of unease...the Raven Queen is thinking about this and whether to allow it. Retula and the witch are aware their patrons are communicating, though it is clear the Raven Queen is the greater being.

A moment passes.

She decides to leave it up to Retula.

Therai wakes up after his long rest. The inn staff bringing him beer and sandwiches.

"Sorry to bother you sir..." one of the staff asks "...but what race are ye?"

"...but what race are ye?"
    "Humanish. Somewhere in the past one of my ancestors got very intimate with a devil and few generations later here I am."

Therai yawns and stretches "What do you make the beds out of here? I feel so rested it's like I've been sleeping for days."

"Yes....I'll give them to you for free....if you take me on as a retainer" she says placing the scones and tea down on the table.

Retula feels a strange sense of unease...the Raven Queen is thinking about this and whether to allow it. Retula and the witch are aware their patrons are communicating, though it is clear the Raven Queen is the greater being.

A moment passes.

She decides to leave it up to Retula.

"Me and my big mouth! What's in it for me, apart from saving a tiny bit of gold up front and always being able to reach things on the top shelf? What's in it for you? What's your patron getting out of it? I mean the Queen is pretty fair, "

She leans in and whispers conspiratorialy "she kind of only asks me for things I'd probably do anyway but don't tell anyone!"

Sitting back again, "but a devil! I mean I'll have to square your behaviour with the team. Are gonna be burning babies or throwing clerics down wells?"

Evade wrote: »
    "Humanish. Somewhere in the past one of my ancestors got very intimate with a devil and few generations later here I am."
    "Our local healer is a devil servant, many of us here wouldn't be alive without devilish power, much maligned people in my view."
    Therai yawns and stretches "What do you make the beds out of here? I feel so rested it's like I've been sleeping for days."
    "We use feathers from velociraptors in the jungle. A finer sleep you shall never find."

"I'll have to get one for myself when I settle down. Would you be able to recommend some local merchants? I'm looking for someone to buy some gems, a locksmith, and a wizard. Oh, and a quiet graveyard."

"Me and my big mouth! What's in it for me, apart from saving a tiny bit of gold up front and always being able to reach things on the top shelf? What's in it for you? What's your patron getting out of it? I mean the Queen is pretty fair, "

She leans in and whispers conspiratorialy "she kind of only asks me for things I'd probably do anyway but don't tell anyone!"
    She smiles while not looking directly at Retula.

"Same here..." she whispers "...though I sometimes wonder if that is why they use the pacts, our selfish goals align with some small component of their plan."

Grabbing a scone and munching, she continues.

"Why do I get...well, you brought it up, I'm stagnating here. I need to get out and see the world, take some risks, or I'll never get stronger...still I don't like to leave the village in the lurch. This town was blessed for a long time, three healers, virtually nobody was sick.

My magic tends to work only on wounds, but the priest can heal diseases. However his religion, the ancestral one of this area, is harsh on the locals. The bard has gone missing, though is still alive according to my patron, I'd prefer to get her back. All she did was charge a promise to turn up to her next performance.

What do you get? Look, I know your type...lost civilizations, ancient temples, treasure, slaying monsters. From a sense of heroism or greed it varies...but regardless, you're a dungeon delver, a tomb raider, I can tell. My abilities will help."
    Sitting back again, "but a devil! I mean I'll have to square your behaviour with the team. Are gonna be burning babies or throwing clerics down wells?"
    "No, no. I don't worship Zariel, it's purely business."

"I'll have to get one for myself when I settle down. Would you be able to recommend some local merchants? I'm looking for someone to buy some gems, a locksmith, and a wizard. Oh, and a quiet graveyard."
    The man makes a quizzical look at the last request, but doesn't inquire.

"Alfredo's will service you regarding locks. Bramal is the local gem trader, both their shops are their..." he points out the window to both shops, brightly lit in the morning sun "...the graveyard outside of town is usually quiet, I suppose. As for a wizard...you would have to go to Carnea, the city down by the harbour, they have a collegium of magic."

• Advertisement

"screw it. Welcome aboard! Ok, I'm well overdue a sleep but I help you find the bard, you help me ... Uh... well I dunno we'll think of something. I'll come by tomorrow morning and pick you up.

Hey, you do much ritualising? I'm just getting started myself, could use some pointers."

Advertisement