Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point criticise judge for telling truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is the part I loved from that wankbag Collins:

'"These comments also highlight the need for anti-racism training for judges which would include the fact that a person’s ethnicity is not relevant in court proceedings. No ethnic group is immune to criminal activity.'

Except when it is to defend their rights as travellers. I'll remember to remind him of his own comments next time this is brought up as a defence by one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

NIMAN wrote: »
    But if they make up 2% of the population (I'm only guessing, not sure what % of the population class themselves as 'travellers'), then they have an unusually high percentage in prison compared to the national average.

I think it's 0.5 to 1%.

So they're between 15 and 30 times more likely to be incarcerated.

While judges see a lot of criminals in their courts, they may be of the opinion that certain members of the community cause more trouble then others, from their experiences, they are supposed to be impartial.
    They are supposed to judge each case on its on evidence.
    So, I am not saying that kilraine is wrong or right in his analysis of cases he has seen before him, it's actually not his role to use his past experiences in one case.
    If you know what I mean?
    Say, for example, I am up in front of him for an offence, it wouldn't be correct for him to assume because I come from a certain estate, or background, that I am representative of everyone else from that estate/background.

I appreciate he may have personal experience, we all do, but when it comes to his job, he shouldn't reference it. It does reflect badly.

This is purely an observation on his job, & not any kind of commentary on travellers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Graces7 wrote: »
    that is their way of honouring their dead. Their right and not to be mocked for it

Please show me where I in any way mocked it..

But in all honesty how can one that doesn't work afford so much???

85% unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

psinno wrote: »
    Does anyone think they are?
    Someone posted 15% of male prisoners are travellers. Obviously the other 85% are not.

If that’s a defense, it’s a poor one. Look up what per capita means and crunch the numbers vs the general population.

You’ll get the usual defenders on here (who defend everything indefensible, tbh) saying travellers get less opportunities etc oh and the usual comparison with African Americans and all but what in the blue hell has that got to do with knocking the stuffing out of each other at weddings and funerals? How are settled people or society to blame for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Please show me where I in any way mocked it..

But in all honesty how can one that doesn't work afford so much???

85% unemployed.

I think we all know the answer to that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm not denying they have a problem, and when they get violent, they get going. I saw (in the same hotel) a group come in for dinner, and at one point, one woman lifted a steak knife and slashed her fella across the face, and when the bar manager went to them, yer man said "I've got 3 witnesses to say I fell down your stairs"

I'm just pointing out they're not alone in being ****ty people.

Falling down the stairs type injuries are often mistaken with steak knife slashes across ones face:confused:

Not the brightest of lads was he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Poor auld Marty, even he must be getting embarrassed at this stage:

"These comments stereotype Travellers as inherently violent which is completely unfair as there are many events that take place in the Traveller community where there is no violence".   

*Rollseyes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What race are travellers exactly?

They look white to me.

A few of them seem to carry that dark Irish gene. Many in my locality are actually quite good looking.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has anyone ever been in the cemetery there or in Ballymote... It's ridiculous what they have as a headstone/grave.
    that is their way of honouring their dead. Their right and not to be mocked for it
    There is a difference between honouring the dead tastefully and the relatively recent practice of erecting something Del Boy Trotter would put up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

NIMAN wrote: »
    But if they make up 2% of the population (I'm only guessing, not sure what % of the population class themselves as 'travellers'), then they have an unusually high percentage in prison compared to the national average.

They are massively more likely to be in jail than non travellers. I think it is actually worse with female travellers than males iirc. I was replying to someone saying he was making the point that not all bad people are travellers by pointing out everyone knows that. Everyone also knows that as a group travellers are much more likely to be bad people [with being in jail a very easily measurable proxy for being a bad person]. You can also see it in domestic violence rates for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

IMO it is nothing to do with honouring their dead. It is a status symbol. Travellers flaunt their wealth wherever possible to other members of their community. Hence the weddings, communions, funeral extravaganzas. It's an opportunity to show how successful your own family and 'breed' (their word, not mine) are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There is a difference between honouring the dead tastefully and the relatively recent practice of erecting something Del Boy Trotter would put up!

Do they glow in the dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

psinno wrote: »
    Does anyone think they are?
    Someone posted 15% of male prisoners are travellers. Obviously the other 85% are not.

On average 15% of the male adult prison population in 2016 were travellers.
    For females it was 22%.

But prisoners change - its not the same people every year / month.

In excess of 30% of travellers have been in prison at some stage of their life. And that's just the convicted ones that got a prison sentence - many people get probation act applied.

Imagine if that was applied to the normal population - it would mean that 1.25 million people (out of 3.7m adults) would have to have a prison record to get to the average of travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

CeilingFly wrote: »
    On average 15% of the male adult prison population in 2016 were travellers.
    For females it was 22%.

But prisoners change - its not the same people every year / month.

In excess of 30% of travellers have been in prison at some stage of their life. And that's just the convicted ones that got a prison sentence - many people get probation act applied.

Imagine if that was applied to the normal population - it would mean that 1.25 million people (out of 3.7m adults) would have to have a prison record to get to the average of travellers.

But it's definitely nothing to do with the fact they feel laws just don't apply to them.

It's all just because they are being marginalized and the judiciary is overly biased in their dealings with travelers.

or at least that's what Pavee point would have you believe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What race are travellers exactly.

Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I think the problem isn't the travellers but authorities who tolerate their criminality.

I see John Connors on the front of the Star today acting as fair play man at a bareknuckle scrap. For a man who whines about being stereotyped he does a hell of a job living up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

There's a graveyard in a town near me that has a massive traveller headstone that is draped with a set of glow in the dark rosary beads that are the size of a tow chain. I've seen people standing at the wall at night taking photographs of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I see John Connors on the front of the Star today acting as fair play man at a bareknuckle scrap. For a man who whines about being stereotyped he does a hell of a job living up to it.

I'm sure he'll be on some chat show next weekend to explain to us how it is the "settled community's" fault that he was there.

• Advertisement

Connors doesn't do the travelling community any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,149 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But its their culture, same as flegs, putting racist/sectarian signs on bonfires and marching where you're not welcome in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I thought Pavee Point had closed down cause they haven't been in the news lately.
    They didn't have much to say on the 2 travellers whose sentence was increased during the week - the 2 scumbag thieves that caused the elderly man to have a heart attack and die when he caught them robbing his house.
    Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

What race are travellers exactly?

They look white to me.

A few of them seem to carry that dark Irish gene. Many in my locality are actually quite good looking.

They are Irish. My sister told me years ago that testing done on travellers genes or dna shows that they are Irish, not of Roma or whatever descent. They are a sub-culture within Irish people not an ethnic minority of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Defunkd wrote: »
    They are a sub-culture within Irish people not an ethnic minority of their own.

seems opinions are somewhat varied on that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mfceiling wrote: »
    I thought Pavee Point had closed down cause they haven't been in the news lately.
    They didn't have much to say on the 2 travellers whose sentence was increased during the week - the 2 scumbag thieves that caused the elderly man to have a heart attack and die when he caught them robbing his house.
    Funny that.

One of them was a proper Orc looking motherfcuker:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/thieving-cousins-who-were-jailed-12433745

Imagine meeting up with your cousin for a lovely day of burglary.

They are Irish. My sister told me years ago that testing done on travellers genes or dna shows that they are Irish, not of Roma or whatever descent. They are a sub-culture within Irish people not an ethnic minority of their own.

If travellers can get "ethnic status" there is no reason why the likes of the hutch and kinahan gangs can't get "ethnic status" because they're also a sub-culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Apparently they are as different genetically from settled Irish as the Spanish are.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/travellers-as-genetically-different-from-settled-irish-as-spanish-1.2969515

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Birneybau wrote: »
    One of them was a proper Orc looking motherfcuker:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/thieving-cousins-who-were-jailed-12433745

Imagine meeting up with your cousin for a lovely day of burglary.

love the white shirt Nike Air jumper combo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 h 7

Knackers smell, they are inbred. Anywhere they set up camp, they always cause trouble. They are a menace in society and a virus in life.

Advertisement