Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point criticise judge for telling truth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Poor auld Marty, even he must be getting embarrassed at this stage:

"These comments stereotype Travellers as inherently violent which is completely unfair as there are many events that take place in the Traveller community where there is no violence".   

*Rollseyes

Ah jaysus, are we now going to have to start handing out gold stars to them now?

"Well done lads, you managed a basic social situation without baeting the head off each other!"

Thought they were meant to be a hard working, salt of the earth type, not a child trying not to wet the bed every night! Maybe the reason we've not seen so much from Pavee Point is because they've run out of finger paint to make their press releases. Maybe the Gov can do a whip around for some Pritt-stick, some coloured paper and a few tubes of glitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What are these events they speak of and are us settled folk allowed attend¿¿¿

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see John Connors on the front of the Star today acting as fair play man at a bareknuckle scrap. For a man who whines about being stereotyped he does a hell of a job living up to it.

Ah he has a thread all to himself. Enjoy...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057861371/1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Graces7 wrote: »
    that is their way of honouring their dead. Their right and not to be mocked for it

Expensive headstones that manage to look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well maybe not president, but at least someone is talking about this scourge.

I believe Mr Kilrane was right to question why this crap goes on, I've never seen a fight at a funeral or a wedding (as a non member of the traveller community), EVER.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticised-for-offensive-and-inappropriate-comments-about-travelling-community-36851440.html

We criticise Judges a lot, and most of the time with reason, but this dude stands out for me in that he is questioning like it is.

It's time to say "No More" imo, the laws of the land are for all, and not just for some.

This is also a complete joke, court services cop on - "The other cases were put back to April 25 2019"

If he ran I'd vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Birneybau wrote: »

One of them was a proper Orc looking motherfcuker:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/thieving-cousins-who-were-jailed-12433745

Imagine meeting up with your cousin for a lovely day of burglary.

The winning combination of inbreeding and fetal alcohol syndrome that gives that distinctive mouth breeding, heavybrowed, small-eyed look, and the associated “cultural” behaviour issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Look at you all in your ivory towers acting as if you've never beaten the shite out of someone at a funeral. What's the point in even going to a funeral if you don't engage in some bare knuckle boxing?

And don't tell me you've never had a fight at a Christening. These are the best fights I've ever been in. I've even developed my own style. I grab the baby in my hands and throw it at the parents like I'm tossing a caber.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Look at you all in your ivory towers acting as if you've never beaten the shite out of someone at a funeral. What's the point in even going to a funeral if you don't engage in some bare knuckle boxing?

And don't tell me you've never had a fight at a Christening. These are the best fights I've ever been in. I've even developed my own style. I grab the baby in my hands and throw it at the parents like I'm tossing a caber.

Each table at our wedding had a slash hook for after the speeches

• Site Banned Posts: 13 regular_slob

while this judge is unlikely to be forced to step down , i can see the media really taking him to task , travellers are probably the biggest sacred cow in the media when it comes to minorities

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

while this judge is unlikely to be forced to step down , i can see the media really taking him to task , travellers are probably the biggest sacred cow in the media when it comes to minorities

Lol they are in my bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 13 regular_slob

Lol they are in my bollocks.

they absolutely are , john connors is a darling of the media here , feel good stories involving travellers always highlight the ethnicity , crime stories involving travellers on rte neglect to inform us that it was travellers involved

then there are the individual journalists who champion travellers for there cultural richness along with admonishing broader irish society for showing prejudice towards travellers ( vincent browne being the key figure ) , was listening to a discussion on newstalk not long ago and all three contributors called for education in schools to involve educating people about travellers , not a mention of anything related to criminality or dysfunctionality within the traveller community itself , the sole narrative in the media when it comes to travellers is one of the majority settled community are simply racist and also that the government doesnt spend enough resources on travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

they absolutely are , john connors is a darling of the media here , feel good stories involving travellers always highlight the ethnicity , crime stories involving travellers on rte neglect to inform us that it was travellers involved

then there are the individual journalists who champion travellers for there cultural richness along with admonishing broader irish society for showing prejudice towards travellers ( vincent browne being the key figure ) , was listening to a discussion on newstalk not long ago and all three contributors called for education in schools to involve educating people about travellers , not a mention of anything related to criminality or dysfunctionality within the traveller community itself , the sole narrative in the media when it comes to travellers is one of the majority settled community are simply racist and also that the government doesnt spend enough resources on travellers

That's what I was getting at tbh, I can usually determine if a story involves a traveller within the first few paragraphs, as I find the media (printed media in particular) love dropping little nuggets of information that leaves the reader with no doubt that travellers are involved.

Something along the lines of "the goods where recovered in the South Dublin area" would be the opening line, but a few sentences on might be "when the gards searched a halting site".

Maybe it just seems that way to me, but I definitely don't find them being over sympathetic to them.

The ones that have the least interaction with them shout the loudest in the media

No halting sites in the city centre or donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Funny how silent pavee point and their mouthpiece have been recently regarding horrendous criminal acts by travellers.

Suddenly a judge gives them a few truths that they don't like and mouthpiece Collins is up in arms.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticised-for-offensive-and-inappropriate-comments-about-travelling-community-36851440.html

Mr. Collins - if you are reading this, over 15% of the male prison population are travellers. Care to comment on that?

That to me would suggest a community that is rife with violence and criminality.

But your deafening silence on the very substantial number of criminals within the traveller group is rather amazing.

it's not up to pavee point or mr collins to deal with that issue publically. it's for the authorities to deal with. and deal with it they must.
    Protected ethnic minority status should be revoked. That is purely an excuse to get away with their Wild West style of living.

can't be done, it was implemented to try and protect them from discrimination. the status is necessary. up to the authorities to enforce the law and for government to insure the gardai, courts and prison service have the resources and funding needed to do the job they do.
    His comments were said to be offensive by pavee point purely because they’re true and they don’t like being told what an uncultured shower of criminals travellers really are.

It’s no co-incidence that pubs and hotels close their doors when they know there is a traveller funeral in town. Traveller regularly complain they have to book christenings weddings etc under false names as hotel will refuse bookings if they realise it’s for a bunch of traveller who will likely thrash the place and leave unpaid bills and rightly so!!!

Travelers deserve all the contempt they get. When they start acting civilised and contributing the society they will then start to be accepted.

nope, they will be excepted regardless, as all of them won't be involved in criminality. the only people responsible for discrimination against any minority group are those doing the discrimination.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

And who voices our concerns of discrimination towards us and the many many many thefts, attacks and just plain dodgy jobs done etc.

Revenue and Gardai need a zero tolerance approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mfceiling wrote: »
    I thought Pavee Point had closed down cause they haven't been in the news lately.
    They didn't have much to say on the 2 travellers whose sentence was increased during the week - the 2 scumbag thieves that caused the elderly man to have a heart attack and die when he caught them robbing his house.
    Funny that.

perhapse pavee point rightly agree those people deserve jail time. i know i certainly think they didn't get half enough dispite the increase.
    Dr Brown wrote: »
    If travellers can get "ethnic status" there is no reason why the likes of the hutch and kinahan gangs can't get "ethnic status" because they're also a sub-culture.

the fact that the likes of the hutch and kinahan gangs are actual criminal gangs, and the fact they aren't different to the rest of us, would be a couple of major reasons why they rightly can't get and won't be given ethnic status. it's not going to happen, ever.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

it's not up to pavee point or mr collins to deal with that issue publically. it's for the authorities to deal with. and deal with it they must.

can't be done, it was implemented to try and protect them from discrimination. the status is necessary. up to the authorities to enforce the law and for government to insure the gardai, courts and prison service have the resources and funding needed to do the job they do.

nope, they will be excepted regardless, as all of them won't be involved in criminality. the only people responsible for discrimination against any minority group are those doing the discrimination.

Agree totally. Some of the posts here are shocking. I watched today some of the UK youtubes re the evictions there eg Dale Farm.

The discrimination here is disturbing, especially re graves .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And who voices our concerns of discrimination towards us and the many many many thefts, attacks and just plain dodgy jobs done etc.

Revenue and Gardai need a zero tolerance approach.

???

I see Citizen Smith is up out of the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Im sure travellers are sick of their income taxes going to towards Gardai security operations.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree totally. Some of the posts here are shocking. I watched today some of the UK youtubes re the evictions there eg Dale Farm.

The discrimination here is disturbing, especially re graves .

Go to a graveyard and see these absolutely vulgar and a big two finger salute to us that contribute to society.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    I am confused now, on one hand there is a absolute mountain of evidence to support the fact that travellers are overly violent especially at family events like weddings and funerals etc but then on the other hand we have your anecdote, I don't know what to believe!

an his sample set is 2 weddings from 1000...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Go to a graveyard and see these absolutely vulgar and a big two finger salute to us that contribute to society.....

My father is buried in an area with quite a few travellers graves around him . A lot seem to be very young children and young adults.
    I don't find them in the slightest bit vulgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I worked at a popular, upper end, wedding venue, that hosted approximately 115 weddings a year, for 8 years, so have seen approx 1000 weddings, including ones I have attended. 2 were traveller weddings. 1 settled couple, 1 English Irish Traveller.

Ive had hassle, threats, fighting, blood, glassings, garda and ambulances called than I care for. Approximately once a month something major happened. But nothing at the traveller weddings.

Most of the hassle was from Armagh or Tyrone crowds.

For a second there I though you were making the point the settled folk are just as bad as travellers if not worse, but your last line there explains it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The ones that have the least interaction with them shout the loudest in the media

In my experience over the years I have found 100% of travellers to be criminals.

There may be some "good" travellers but I have yet to find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has ever been the case. Those defending travellers have invariably never lived beside a halting site nor had large numbers illegally camped next to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

This has ever been the case. Those defending travellers have invariably never lived beside a halting site nor had large numbers illegally camped next to them.

Its bit like the people who say that multiculturalism is great but they live in an all white area and call everybody "racist" who doesn't think its a good idea.

I have on a number of occasions seen towns closed off and Guards drafted in from around the country due to trouble expected to kick off at a traveller funeral. In my younger days I worked as a monumental sculptor and dug my fair share of graves, the only time I saw members of our boys in blue at a funeral was if it was for a member of the travelling community. Hell, more than once the armed response were in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Im sure travellers are sick of their income taxes going to towards Gardai security operations.

Ohh mercy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Increase the size of the gardai dog unit a hundred fold and give them leeway to make operational decisions on the ground vis a vis releasing their land sharks to nibble on misbehaving degenerates at social occasions.

Advertisement