Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavee point criticise judge for telling truth

Options
  • 28-04-2018 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

Funny how silent pavee point and their mouthpiece have been recently regarding horrendous criminal acts by travellers.

Suddenly a judge gives them a few truths that they don't like and mouthpiece Collins is up in arms.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticised-for-offensive-and-inappropriate-comments-about-travelling-community-36851440.html

Mr. Collins - if you are reading this, over 15% of the male prison population are travellers. Care to comment on that?

That to me would suggest a community that is rife with violence and criminality.

But your deafening silence on the very substantial number of criminals within the traveller group is rather amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well maybe not president, but at least someone is talking about this scourge.

I believe Mr Kilrane was right to question why this crap goes on, I've never seen a fight at a funeral or a wedding (as a non member of the traveller community), EVER.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticised-for-offensive-and-inappropriate-comments-about-travelling-community-36851440.html

We criticise Judges a lot, and most of the time with reason, but this dude stands out for me in that he is questioning like it is.

It's time to say "No More" imo, the laws of the land are for all, and not just for some.

This is also a complete joke, court services cop on - "The other cases were put back to April 25 2019"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Protected ethnic minority status should be revoked. That is purely an excuse to get away with their Wild West style of living.

Even the somewhat well known actor John Connors shows what a chip on his shoulder he has with Twitter and displays the perpetual persecution mentality which fuels a travelling person’s misguided righteousness they use to justify their lawless way of living.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems to these groups "offensive" and "inappropriate" equals "pretty bloody accurate".

This part: "These comments also highlight the need for anti-racism training for judges which would include the fact that a person’s ethnicity is not relevant in court proceedings. No ethnic group is immune to criminal activity". Indeed so, however the facts are your particular ethnic group is disproportionally represented in criminal activity. These are again facts. Facts which the Gardai and judges who have to deal with such cases on a weekly basis are all too aware of.

For fun have an oul read of the last bit...

“I want to explain a bit of our story to the Inspector,” he said before outlining that there had been a problem with the headstone with two female family members wanting a bigger one than the four foot high one allowed at Sligo Cemetery.
    There was friction as a result.

The defendant was the first to give the undertaking followed by Thomas Conroy (44) of 23 Ard Rua, Claremorris who was charged with assaulting Michael and Nora Sweeney; Michael Sweeney (38), Brookfield, Ballinode who was charged with assaulting Michael Sweeney; Tom Sweeney (40) of Kilmore Heights, Kilkelly who was charged with assaulting Michael Sweeney; Edward Sweeney (30) of Hollymount who was charged with assaulting Michael Sweeney; Martin Sweeney (37) 3 Mulberry Park, Ballinode who was charged with assaulting Kate Sweeney; Patrick Sweeney (30), Hollymount who was charged with assaulting Michael Sweeney.

The court heard that another defendant, Martin Ard Rua Conroy (23) of 23 Ard Rua, Claremorris who is charged with assaulting Michael Sweeney was in hospital and his case was adjourned for a week.

They started thumping the heads off each other over the height of a bloody gravestone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I recall being in court one morning, and there was a few members of a large extended family there, bandaged and patched up in various places, all attendees of a fairly large wedding a few days before.

Anyway, the judge asked one of the lads to give his version of event's as to how the fight broke out, and got so badly out of hand.

The first lad up was the best man, and he said that the fight erupted for the rather mundane reason that he had the cheek to have a slow dance with the bride, and the groom was dancing with a bridesmaid.

Your man goes on to tell the judge that right in the middle of the dance, the groom - (completely out of nowhere) runs up and kicks the bride right "in the fanny judge"

The judge looked like he was going to explode, he peered over his glasses at your man, and just straight up asked him if he expected the court to believe him that the row that had caused the hospitalization of a good few members of various families, several hundred thousand euros of damages to the local hotel, and the attendance of various units of emergency services was the result of a dance.

"Are you telling me, that you were dancing with the bride, and the groom came out of nowhere and kicked her between the legs sir"? He asked.

"I am judge" he said.

"And he broke these 3 fingers at the same time" he said, raising his heavily bandaged right hand to show the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thanks Johnny, thats a good start to the day. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭johnml

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Funny how silent pavee point and their mouthpiece have been recently regarding horrendous criminal acts by travellers

Mr. Collins - if you are reading this, over 15% of the male prison population are travellers. Care to comment on that?

It's racism from An Garda Siochana! They're arresting innocent travellers going about their work! And 'racist' judges are imprisoning them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Education is key.

Zero tolerance approach also to tax evasion and dodgy tarmacadam drive ways....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Where's the "grabs popcorn" guy?

Where's the "grabs popcorn" guy?

You can be that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

29% of them have been locked up at some stage of their lives not 15%

There are 30,000 "travellers" in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well maybe not president, but at least someone is talking about this scourge.

I believe Mr Kilrane was right to question why this crap goes on, I've never seen a fight at a funeral or a wedding (as a non member of the traveller community), EVER.

We criticise Judges a lot, and most of the time with reason, but this dude stands out for me in that he is questioning like it is.

It's time to say "No More" imo, the laws of the land are for all, and not just for some.

This is also a complete joke, court services cop on - "The other cases were put back to April 25 2019"

I worked at a popular, upper end, wedding venue, that hosted approximately 115 weddings a year, for 8 years, so have seen approx 1000 weddings, including ones I have attended. 2 were traveller weddings. 1 settled couple, 1 English Irish Traveller.

Ive had hassle, threats, fighting, blood, glassings, garda and ambulances called than I care for. Approximately once a month something major happened. But nothing at the traveller weddings.

Most of the hassle was from Armagh or Tyrone crowds.

Wibbs wrote: »

They started thumping the heads off each other over the height of a bloody gravestone.

Not only that Wibbs, but it would seem that the bit of a kerfuffle was the result of some people deciding what rules do or don't apply to them.
    outlining that there had been a problem with the headstone with two female family members wanting a bigger one than the four foot high one allowed at Sligo Cemetery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Has anyone ever been in the cemetery there or in Ballymote... It's ridiculous what they have as a headstone/grave.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

I worked at a popular, upper end, wedding venue, that hosted approximately 115 weddings a year, for 8 years, so have seen approx 1000 weddings, including ones I have attended. 2 were traveller weddings. 1 settled couple, 1 English Irish Traveller.

Ive had hassle, threats, fighting, blood, glassings, garda and ambulances called than I care for. Approximately once a month something major happened. But nothing at the traveller weddings.

Most of the hassle was from Armagh or Tyrone crowds.

I am confused now, on one hand there is a absolute mountain of evidence to support the fact that travellers are overly violent especially at family events like weddings and funerals etc but then on the other hand we have your anecdote, I don't know what to believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-criticised-for-offensive-and-inappropriate-comments-about-travelling-community-36851440.html

It was unusual for a judge to say violence is a problem at traveller funerals , but his openness is welcomed. The comments that large numbers of Gardai attending such funerals is rediculous.

"Judge Kilrane asks about the numbers of gardaí that sometimes attend Traveller funerals and I would suggest that this is done on the assumption that there will be violence – which is prejudice in itself."

3rd or 4th thread in less than an hour.

3rd or 4th thread in less than any hour.

Can we make it to 10 ?

Can we make it to 10 ?

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pavee Point - issuing comments when it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Were the other threads locked?

While I'm not always the biggest fan of judges I suppose you'd have to say this fellow will know better than the average punter given the job he's in.

boombang wrote: »
    Were the other threads locked?

While I'm not always the biggest fan of judges I suppose you'd have to say this fellow will know better than the average punter given the job he's in.

I didnt actually see the other threads before putting this up. Anyhow your right. . Never seen or heard of fights at funerals only travellers Gardai are like the rest of us an easy time im sure they wouldnt be going to such gatherings if it werent necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

testicles wrote: »
    Those people are worse than travellers to be fair. They spent 30 years beating the ****e out of their neighbours because of perceived slights about religion.

Just look at the crowd Armagh and Tyrone get at GAA games thumping and abusing each other . On trains etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    I am confused now, on one hand there is a absolute mountain of evidence to support the fact that travellers are overly violent especially at family events like weddings and funerals etc but then on the other hand we have your anecdote, I don't know what to believe!

I'm not denying they have a problem, and when they get violent, they get going. I saw (in the same hotel) a group come in for dinner, and at one point, one woman lifted a steak knife and slashed her fella across the face, and when the bar manager went to them, yer man said "I've got 3 witnesses to say I fell down your stairs"

I'm just pointing out they're not alone in being ****ty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

His comments were said to be offensive by pavee point purely because they’re true and they don’t like being told what an uncultured shower of criminals travellers really are.

It’s no co-incidence that pubs and hotels close their doors when they know there is a traveller funeral in town. Traveller regularly complain they have to book christenings weddings etc under false names as hotel will refuse bookings if they realise it’s for a bunch of traveller who will likely thrash the place and leave unpaid bills and rightly so!!!

Travelers deserve all the contempt they get. When they start acting civilised and contributing the society they will then start to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anyone ever been in the cemetery there or in Ballymote... It's ridiculous what they have as a headstone/grave.

that is their way of honouring their dead. Their right and not to be mocked for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm just pointing out they're not alone in being ****ty people.

Does anyone think they are?
    Someone posted 15% of male prisoners are travellers. Obviously the other 85% are not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Graces7 wrote: »
    that is their way of honouring their dead. Their right and not to be mocked for it

It's not their right if the rules of the property owner prohibit that though. That said, travellers aren't alone in thinking graveyard rules don't apply to them. There is a graveyard not too far from me which is meant to have a modest headstone at the top of each grave with each grave itself just simple lawn. But many families clearly ignore the rules. And I know it seems like people should be allowed to make a grave into the memorial they see fit. But the rules are there for a reason and breaking them makes the maintenance of the graveyard much more difficult for the caretakers and dishonours the families who specifically chose a simple graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some cultures are better than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

psinno wrote: »
    Does anyone think they are?
    Someone posted 15% of male prisoners are travellers. Obviously the other 85% are not.

But if they make up 2% of the population (I'm only guessing, not sure what % of the population class themselves as 'travellers'), then they have an unusually high percentage in prison compared to the national average.

Advertisement