Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

bazz26 wrote: »
    Dealers will always price your trade-in low, they won't give you money for any extras and tell they don't add any value. They will then sell it on high though to illustrate the extras over other "lesser" spec models. Maximising profit is their whole business model. :)

I think I did get that from a few one was even like yes we can't give anything for the extras on your car then I was like the price on X car is a little strong compared to others then I got yes but there are a lot of extras on that car :pac:

Or I also love when they want to talk about everything in terms of monthly repayment figures and just through loads out in an aim to confuse those who aren't the best at maths. The sad thing is there are probably some people when the say oh that will cost you €300 per month over 5 years actually but the car there and then never actually working out the loan interest or cost to change trade in offered etc.

One salesman was even a bit upset I wasn't taking out a 5 year hp loan or PCP. I never even mentioned finance to him at any point and they just started quoting all figures based on a 5 year hp loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wailin wrote: »
    Christ, that presenter, whoever he is, is a bit of a knob.

He is not the worst. 2 million plus subscribers so must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He is not the worst. 2 million plus subscribers so must be doing something right.

He went through a phase of not putting on that stupid voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Off topic completely but I seen a video of that Chris lad from Cork. Seems he owns a EP3 now as the last time I seen a video of him he was in a ek9. I wonder which he prefers.

He had a mivec colt after the ek9 too.

iirc his ek9 was broken into at some point and he sold it not long after that.

As for the type r debate what ya want is a eg, ek or dc2 with a k series engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

On the Android store, app called car scanner ELM obd2

Seems to do a decent job, seems to be able to find more than torque !

Was able to pull up a warning message on my car that torque couldn't. Where others think only Volvo dealer software would work for

Basically the lad who serviced my car threw too much oil into her , so no big deal, not an engine light but is a message on dash (like door open, etc)

So good app I think

Also has a deep scan function that seems to go deep into the roots of the car ! Takes ages though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    I think I did get that from a few one was even like yes we can't give anything for the extras on your car then I was like the price on X car is a little strong compared to others then I got yes but there are a lot of extras on that car :pac:

Or I also love when they want to talk about everything in terms of monthly repayment figures and just through loads out in an aim to confuse those who aren't the best at maths. The sad thing is there are probably some people when the say oh that will cost you €300 per month over 5 years actually but the car there and then never actually working out the loan interest or cost to change trade in offered etc.

One salesman was even a bit upset I wasn't taking out a 5 year hp loan or PCP. I never even mentioned finance to him at any point and they just started quoting all figures based on a 5 year hp loan.

Throw a thread up in buying CIP, be much easier.

Plenty of lads here have a genuine interest in helping you out so it's worth it...smell a test drive meet:D

Throw a thread up in buying CIP, be much easier.

Plenty of lads here have a genuine interest in helping you out so it's worth it...smell a test drive meet:D

Yes I had one on buying a second weekend car and everyone said I was mad :pac:

Yes no I need to think about what I am going to do on the whole thing. As I was planning on buying a house mid next year. But if going down the second weekend car route would wait till maybe I have a house got where I can store it. Plus banks might look at it as being a bit weird having two cars and paying two insurances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yes I had one on buying a second weekend car and everyone said I was mad :pac:

Yes no I need to think about what I am going to do on the whole thing. As I was planning on buying a house mid next year. But if going down the second weekend car route would wait till maybe I have a house got where I can store it. Plus banks might look at it as being a bit weird having two cars and paying two insurances etc.

If you are buying a house next year, keep that A4 under your arse. I had to get rid of the nice car to buy a house and I am only now, 4 years later in the position to buy a nice car again. That said I did buy the 2nd car so I probably put the nice car on hold a little longer than I thought.

Do you mind me asking CIP, are you paying rent and bills at the moment? Because if you are and can afford the new car, great but be wary because the banks will only lend based on what you have left after being stressed tested and car repayments can effect that hugely. In my opinion your twenties are the time to save and put things in place to make sure you are in a good place later on, not to throw 10s of 1000s into depreciation. Nothing wrong with that but I did the house buying thing at 27/28 and am in a far better off position than my buddies trying to buy now in our 30s.

If you are buying a house next year, keep that A4 under your arse. I had to get rid of the nice car to buy a house and I am only now, 4 years later in the position to buy a nice car again. That said I did buy the 2nd car so I probably put the nice car on hold a little longer than I thought.

Do you mind me asking CIP, are you paying rent and bills at the moment? Because if you are and can afford the new car, great but be wary because the banks will only lend based on what you have left after being stressed tested and car repayments can effect that hugely. In my opinion your twenties are the time to save and put things in place to make sure you are in a good place later on, not to throw 10s of 1000s into depreciation. Nothing wrong with that but I did the house buying thing at 27/28 and am in a far better off position than my buddies trying to buy now in our 30s.

Agree with what your saying. Yes I pay bills and rent but it’s Kilkenny so nothing compared to Dublin rates. Now I have kind of convinced myself that the A4 should easily stay reliable for the next few years I am a bit happier to keep it. Would definitely be the better thing to do from a house buying point of view. Plus it’s fully paid for in the next couple of months. As you mentioned a lot of people sold their cars to buy houses so I can’t complain.

Whatever car I would of bought I would of planned to have it paid for before taking out a mortgage which I kind of expected you would have to do especially as a single person going for a mortgage. Only turning 25 though so kind of still feel possibly a bit young to be buying a house. I know I seem like a mess with money but outside of cars I am fairly stable.

I started on a fairly average graduate salary in 2016 and worked hard to get up the ladder (but also had some luck) and landed a fairly decent job early last year. Think I need to go meet with a bank on the whole mortgage thing although I do have a fairly good idea on deposits, stress testing, max borrowing limits etc.

Agree with what your saying. Yes I pay bills and rent but it’s Kilkenny so nothing compared to Dublin rates. Now I have kind of convinced myself that the A4 should easily stay reliable for the next few years I am a bit happier to keep it. Would definitely be the better thing to do from a house buying point of view. Plus it’s fully paid for in the next couple of months. As you mentioned a lot of people sold their cars to buy houses so I can’t complain.

Whatever car I would of bought I would of planned to have it paid for before taking out a mortgage which I kind of expected you would have to do especially as a single person going for a mortgage. Only turning 25 though so kind of still feel possibly a bit young to be buying a house. I know I seem like a mess with money but outside of cars I am fairly stable.

I started on a fairly average graduate salary in 2016 and worked hard to get up the ladder (but also had some luck) and landed a fairly decent job early last year. Think I need to go meet with a bank on the whole mortgage thing although I do have a fairly good idea on deposits, stress testing, max borrowing limits etc.

The feeling of sitting with a cold bottle of beer on your own couch in your own house that you have sweated and toiled for is better than any car. And I say that having driven an M2 and an M4 around Mondello this weekend!!!! You've all your life to enjoy cars, get the basics sorted first and you can spend what you like a little more guilt free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Buy a new car if you want to change but worrying about the reliability of a three year old car should not be a serious concern.

I can't understand how someone could be worried about the reliability of a car and then be aghast at being offered €19k trade ins for the same car :pac:

All jokes aside CIP, you reliability concerns about a fresh A4 are really strange ...... especially if you consider you are an engineer of some sort or other iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+1 on this, I'm in my 30's and am currently doing the mortgage thing for a second time having bought an apartment a couple of years ago.

I got rid of all my nice cars (except a jdm corona that is in storage) to appease the bank... but there is nothing like the feeling of having a crate load of beers on a friday sitting in the back of your vintage pickup looking up at the stars, in a field you own.

You can then buy whatever cars you want and build a garage on your own land to store them. At least thats my reason for moving again. In the last 24 months I've sold a rolls royce, a plymouth, ford f250, couple of peugeots and golfs, 2 bmw 535ds, a nissan leaf and an Ioniq Ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just bought 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 RFT tyres online this morning for the 530d. My wallet is GB£690 lighter and the existing ones have 2.5 mm of thread left on them. However prices have been a lot higher over the last few months and they dropped over GB£100 from last week. Wasn't chancing them raising in price again so will store them away until the end of the year. Local prices were just off the scale.

bazz26 wrote: »
    ............the existing ones have 2.5 mm of thread left on them. ............. will store them away until the end of the year. ............

You get 6 months out of a mm of thread on a 530d?

Augeo wrote: »

Pedantic Pat!

Pedantic Pat!

Not at all.
    Just a query............... the chap commented that there's 2.5mm of thread there so just wondered would that actually last the 6 months to the end of the year.
    But cheers for the sentiment ;)

They are on the car 18 months so possibly a little bit longer but I'll change them when I find the car starting to struggle for grip more rather than just waiting for them to to hit the minimum thread depth. I put the foot down when I want/need to but generally I'm not a hard driver.

Fronts on the Sorento ............ nearly 5mm wear over 40k kms...........
    rears.......... just over 3mm wear over 40k kms............ the AWD does seem to shovel drive to the rears more often then I'd expect. Although I had a Ford Edge for a month ish that has a dash display showing when drive was going to the rear and it was indeed surprisingly often.

Swapped around now so at 60k kms I'll replace all 4, that'll be January I expect.

I'd not be heavy footed at all and maybe 33% of my driving is quiet motorway sitting at the limit.

My wheels are staggered so swapping back to front is not an option and even if I could the fronts don't have much more on them either. Have insurance renewal coming up later in the year anyway so suits my pocket to get the cost of new tyres out of the way now.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Buy a new car if you want to change but worrying about the reliability of a three year old car should not be a serious concern.
    I can't understand how someone could be worried about the reliability of a car and then be aghast at being offered €19k trade ins for the same car :pac:

All jokes aside CIP, you reliability concerns about a fresh A4 are really strange ...... especially if you consider you are an engineer of some sort or other iirc.

Well infairness I only had it a few weeks and it needed a full clutch kit so you can't exactly call it 100% reliable in my ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well infairness I only had it a few weeks and it needed a full clutch kit so you can't exactly call it 100% reliable in my ownership.

Clutch is a wear and tear item, although I wouldn't have expected it to go that early. Previous owner must have drove the ring out of it! :eek:

What were you thinking spending €40k on a luxury saloon and getting a manual anyway?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Clutch is a wear and tear item, although I wouldn't have expected it to go that early. Previous owner must have drove the ring out of it! :eek:

What were you thinking spending €40k on a luxury saloon and getting a manual anyway?

I didn’t have any interest in Autos back when I bought it only decided I’d like an auto recently after driving them a bit. Some people are just bad for riding clutch on hills and all that kind of stuff. I don’t think it was driven that hard as there was next to no wear on brakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I didn’t have any interest in Autos back when I bought it only decided I’d like an auto recently after driving them a bit. Some people are just bad for riding clutch on hills and all that kind of stuff. I don’t think it was driven that hard as there was next to no wear on brakes etc.

New pads! :pac:

I’d be getting onto them. No excuse for butchering with the prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Am liking these new plates :cool::D

Not to everyone's taste but I do not like the German style plates at all. These are neat and tidy with a sporty look. Really does make a difference to the car with all that dealer nonsense removed.

48173410302_7b85a996ff_c.jpg

Have you considered normal plates, would really make it stand out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Never thought I'd have boy racer plates on any car I owned. But there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Having been round the block over the years with plates, I have to say the standard pressed metal, spaced evenly and keeping things legit are top of the list. Ditching the advert surrounds for bonus points and using some 3M/No more nails double sided tape to fit - perfect.

• Advertisement

ciarsd wrote: »
    Having been round the block over the years with plates, I have to say the standard pressed metal, spaced evenly and keeping things legit are top of the list. Ditching the advert surrounds for bonus points and using some 3M/No more nails double sided tape to fit - perfect.

Couldn't agree more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement