Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Your A4 is a far from undesireable car. Boom is definitely not back as far as irish car sales are concerned.

Yes being honest the way things are at the minute just thinking of leaving it for a while not like I’m going to lose much more on the A4.
    Keep the A4, buy something fun for the weekend is one option.

Or try and sell the A4 privately and make do for a week or so if you're caught out between that and the new one. You'll have much better leverage on the price then..

I was thinking that way depreciation would be well flattened out on the A4 at this point. While it’s not that terribly powerful and isn’t an Auto outside of that I can’t really fault it. Tbh anyone that gets into the car is always genuinely impressed by it. Part of what was driving me to change is the fear that it would start to become unreliable but really the fact I have minded it and it’s always been serviced on time should stand to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Ah CIP, it's a 3 year old car. You don't need to bring in reliability issues to justify changing the car because realistically there won't be any. Not as if it's a 250k miler serviced by the lad up the road for 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

CIP, would you get an m140/135i in budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a Honda s2000 CIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Buy a Honda s2000 CIP

I reckon that would be too old for him.

• Advertisement

I reckon that would be too old for him.

I would give my right arm for one.... They are some machine... Toy car for weekend and summer....

I also wish I had one. They were cheap a few years ago. Rising in price at the minute.

Off topic completely but I seen a video of that Chris lad from Cork. Seems he owns a EP3 now as the last time I seen a video of him he was in a ek9. I wonder which he prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

CIP, would you get an m140/135i in budget?

I posted this car earlier today in the golf GTI thread. Would be well worth a drive.
    3.0 six cylinder and would have rarity value that should help depreciation.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/used-2018-181-bmw-1-series-m140i-5dr-dublin-fpa-201902084739691

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Off topic completely but I seen a video of that Chris lad from Cork. Seems he owns a EP3 now as the last time I seen a video of him he was in a ek9. I wonder which he prefers.

I'd pick the EK. EP3 & DC5 are nowhere near as much fun as an EK9 or DC2 to drive.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'd pick the EK. EP3 & DC5 are nowhere near as much fun as an EK9 or DC2 to drive.

I always wanted a DC2 came close a while ago but it was a SiR and not Type R so let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Waiting for my insurance renewal in the post any day now. Just done an online quote with liberty, €435 fully comp, driving a dull car isn't all bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Why are you looking to change car cip? If it's for more power I don't think buying a new/ish hot hatch is a great idea as I think you'll either get bored of it, or fed up with the fuel bill in a year's time. Ask me how I know....

Problem you'll face then is the same problem you're seeing now which is painful high depreciation, easily 10 plus grand in a year.

The car you have now is great as you say. It's fresh, economical and refined with plenty of tech.

The thing to do here is keep the A4 as the daily and buy something fun if you want something else from driving, whatever that is to you. You could buy an mx5, integra, civic, beat, E36/46 M3, E39 M5, s2000, Clio sport, Mégane sport, type r, Impreza, Evo, MK2, e30, Capri, robin reliant....whatever tickles you. All of those have zero depreciation, none what so ever. Buy it, drive it, if it doesn't work out then sell it with nothing lost. Reliability doesn't matter as it's your 2nd car. Driving a 300bhp modern car is boring. You'll get used to it after a week. It's great having the power and handy at times, but it's not exciting. (All imo of course)

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Why are you looking to change car cip? If it's for more power I don't think buying a new/ish hot hatch is a great idea as I think you'll either get bored of it, or fed up with the fuel bill in a year's time. Ask me how I know....

Problem you'll face then is the same problem you're seeing now which is painful high depreciation, easily 10 plus grand in a year.

The car you have now is great as you say. It's fresh, economical and refined with plenty of tech.

The thing to do here is keep the A4 as the daily and buy something fun if you want something else from driving, whatever that is to you. You could buy an mx5, integra, civic, beat, E36/46 M3, E39 M5, s2000, Clio sport, Mégane sport, type r, Impreza, Evo, MK2, e30, Capri, robin reliant....whatever tickles you. All of those have zero depreciation, none what so ever. Buy it drive, doesn't work out then sell it with nothing lost. Reliability doesn't matter as it's your 2nd car. Driving a 300bhp modern car is boring. You'll get used to it after a week. It's great having the power and handy at times, but it's not exciting. (All imo of course)

Yes what you are saying makes sense. Its something I have been thinking off alright that I am being badly hit by depreciation currently trying to trade and if I buy one of these hot hatches and get sick of it after a year I will be back in the same position with depreciation in a year if not worse than currently.

I can think of a few examples of people who went down a path of constantly changing cars getting more expensive each time and they then looked back after 10-15 years and had spent an absolute scary amount of money on cars I swore I would never be like that but seem to be starting to head down that path. As I have said before just because you can afford a new car doesn't make it a good buy.

There are a lot of good performance cars out there for 5k that would make great second cars.

I'm stuck with a ****box Mégane I wants more powr, can't afford change... Then car is badly damaged after crash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Waiting for my insurance renewal in the post any day now. Just done an online quote with liberty, €435 fully comp, driving a dull car isn't all bad :)

Jesus, there’s no justice.

Dunno how much dealers are offering you CIP but when my dad was car shopping recently I saw this.... Yours is a year older?

483986.png

I think you're mad to go Golf Gti....you reckoned yourself you wanted something mad and that a gti wouldn't cut the mustard...then seemed to be going gti as it's an all rounder.

A golf is a step down from an A4 in many ways...a gti is still a Golf.

And....if you get 40k kms from front tyres on a turbo petrol A4 that does go well enough I'm thinking you aren't really into sinking the shoe TBH.

You can go to the track etc as you did recently whenever suits really :cool:

Augeo wrote: »
    Dunno how much dealers are offering you CIP but when my dad was car shopping recently I saw this.... Yours is a year older?

I think you're mad to go Golf Gti....you reckoned yourself you wanted something mad and that a gti wouldn't cut the mustard...then seemed to be going gti as it's an all rounder.

A golf is a step down from an A4 in many ways...a gti is still a Golf.

And....if you get 40k kms from front tyres on a turbo petrol A4 that does go well enough I'm thinking you aren't really into sinking the shoe TBH.

You can go to the track etc as you did recently whenever suits really :cool:

Yes the worst I got was 19k the best was 22k (against new cars). See I suppose that’s what I am competing against even though in a way there is no comparison with mine that one is an English one sport is a kind of mid spec one B9 was actually worse spec than Irish ones. Mine is an S-line spec which had about 7k worth of factory options. The one you linked doesn’t even have a colored driver display which all the Irish ones had. The seats are also terrible in the English ones.

But one of the issues I reckon with the price of my one is all these ‘cheap’ low spec English ones have been brought in and my car is now forced to compete with them as we all know dealers don’t pay for extras.

I hear you about the spec but at a high level...

171 1.4t petrol manual a4
    16? 1.4t petrol manual a4

The is300h my ole lad bought was about 2 or 3k less then the sport ones with that had less miles but he didn't care...you do get what you pay for but you said it yourself about spec and dealers. 7k new extras aren't overly going to impact trade in price unfortunately.

To be fair you didn't pay a 7k premium for them either, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just keep it and remap the hole off it.

• Advertisement

I hear you about the spec but at a high level...

171 1.4t petrol manual a4
    16? 1.4t petrol manual a4

The is300h my ole lad bought was about 2 or 3k less then the sport ones with that had less miles but he didn't care...you do get what you pay for but you said it yourself about spec and dealers. 7k new extras aren't overly going to impact trade in price unfortunately.

To be fair you didn't pay a 7k premium for them either, I hope.

It’s a 161. But yes get what your saying I didn’t pay the extra for them. Ah no the fact I have been to quite a few dealers at this point and the trade ins are reasonably consistent would tell me that’s all the car is worth well on a trade in.

Might just bring the A4 to the ring to fcuk save the money :pac:

Well you couldn't bring it to a track but you can Avis rent a 911 for 1k for a weekend in Munich :cool:

Out of interest, what spec is on yours?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Out of interest, what spec is on yours?

Well with the price of Audi extras they add up quickly but these are the factory extras it has:

MMI Nav plus with touch track pad and larger display
    Virtual cockpit
    Upgraded S-Line flat bottomed steering wheel
    Storage pack
    Electric folding mirrors (€550 option I have never actually seen another B9 with them)
    Daytona grey pearl effect paint
    Audi drive select
    High beam assist

I feel like I am forgetting something else but that’s basically it.

Mmmmm.....uninspiring enough really for 7k

Mmmmm.....uninspiring enough really for 7k

Well it is an A4 don’t think anyone would spec anything too mad on it. The S-Line spec has a few nice extras you wouldn’t see on other VAG cars pointless ones but nice all the same.

Yeah I'd say the steering wheel, extra storage, paint, hba, drive select all add zero to the trade in. The flashy cockpit and infotainment probably helps though as it's the first thing a potential buyer sees and probably adds a bit of a woah factor for people that didn't know about it. Dealers though will price it on engine, gearbox, year, milage and trim level.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers will always price your trade-in low, they won't give you money for any extras and tell they don't add any value. They will then sell it on high though to illustrate the extras over other "lesser" spec models. Maximising profit is their whole business model. :)

I see the new Supra makes more power than advertised. Some of you may have heard this already but I didn't as I wasn't really following it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Christ, that presenter, whoever he is, is a bit of a knob.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement