Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Speaking of which I seen a Duster and a i40 sporting German plates lately...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Truckermal wrote: »
    Speaking of which I seen a Duster and a i40 sporting German plates lately...:rolleyes:

They have become popular with the nomads too. I think their day hath passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were only cool for a very short time when it was difficult to get them IMO. At least 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Fair play, in my experience it's much easier to go back, explain why you've an issue, and give them a second chance, if they're honest and genuine they'll admit fault and fix. Nobody's perfect and we can call mistakes from time to time, it's how they dealt with is what separates a good garage from a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I've seen references to German plates in the Motors thread before. What are they, and why might it be considered strange to see them on a Duster or an i40?

• Advertisement

Brian Scan wrote: »
    I've seen references to German plates in the Motors thread before. What are they, and why might it be considered strange to see them on a Duster or an i40?

German number plates use a similar style to Irish ones (blue flag, white background, same size characters) but have a different font which is pretty distinctive. It is designed for easy identification and less chance of being misinterpreted as a different number/letter.

The plates also have 2 stickers for safety test and registration seal.

Because the German font is within regulation sizes for Ireland, there’s nothing illegal about having German font plates as long as the spacing is correct, and it has the county name at the top etc.

If someone puts fake test/registration stickers on, then the plate is not legal anymore, same with leaving out the county name, or the heiphens between the year/county/number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

German plates:

german2-600x600.jpg

Usually made up for (illegal) use on German cars in Ireland. Dacia and Hyundai aren't German.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    German number plates use a similar style to Irish ones (blue flag, white background, same size characters) but have a different font which is pretty distinctive. It is designed for easy identification and less chance of being misinterpreted as a different number/letter.

Thanks, Colm.

OSI wrote: »

For a period they were a bit of a scene fad for drivers of cars made by German manufacturers as a sort homage to their origins and because many thought they looked better. It's considered strange on the likes of a Hyundai or Dacia because neither brand has any connection to Germany, so the typical reason of the plates being an homage to the brands homeland is meaningless.

I think they look daft as fook on Skoda too, Skoda being a VAG brand of course.

German plates:

german2-600x600.jpg

Usually made up for (illegal) use on German cars in Ireland. Dacia and Hyundai aren't German.
    OSI wrote: »
    They're number plates done in a style similar to that of the number plates used in Germany, eg:

422460520.jpg

For a period they were a bit of a scene fad for drivers of cars made by German manufacturers as a sort homage to their origins and because many thought they looked better. It's considered strange on the likes of a Hyundai or Dacia because neither brand has any connection to Germany, so the typical reason of the plates being an homage to the brands homeland is meaningless.

Thanks for that.

I'm amused by the fact that the thought police think they should only be used on cars of German origin, almost as if all German cars were designed round the plates.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I'm amused by the fact that the thought police think they should only be used on cars of German origin, almost as if all German cars were designed round the plates.

No, the Gardai (and the law) say that anything other than standard Irish plates are illegal in Ireland.

Thanks for that.

No, the Gardai (and the law) say that anything other than standard Irish plates are illegal in Ireland.

I think he's on about folk who think (thought police :) ) they are daft on anything but German makes, as opposed to the actual AGS.

Augeo wrote: »
    I think he's on about folk who think (thought police :) ) they are daft on anything but German makes, as opposed to the actual AGS.

Ah yesh...I shees it now :pac:

Once the plate meets the standards laid out with regards spacing etc it’s legal. There’s no standard plate as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Except there is no standard plate, only dimensions that must be adhered to :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Except there is no standard plate, only dimensions that must be adhered to :cool:

So the standard goes as :

3 letters IRL with 12 yellow stars above them on blue background - illegal if not on the plate

Dashes between year - county - reg number, illegal if not on the plate

County name in Irish on top of the plate, illegal if not on the plate

Any other markings, signs, etc. illegal if ON the plate

You can read it all here, just scroll down to the plate section.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print

Augeo wrote: »

I see there have been quite a few threads on the German plates question before. Apologies for resurrecting the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Not feeling the love for my fancy new plates....(haughty sniff).

Change of topic. Anyone change brake shoes on rear drum brakes? Is it handy? I did the front discs and pads on the Jimny, rear shoes need to be done next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Wailin wrote: »
    Not feeling the love for my fancy new plates....(haughty sniff).

Change of topic. Anyone change brake shoes on rear drum brakes? Is it handy? I did the front discs and pads on the Jimny, rear shoes need to be done next.

I feel it for ya ;)

F8RBRT7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

New (to us) car time, going is the 2010 Megane dci which I really liked and in comes a 132 Rav4.

Hopefully the days of a fecked back and a baby with concussion from hitting the roof are behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I always get a laugh out of German plates.

Paying homage to the car's roots is funny these days, since so much of it is built in Romania, Hungary, Poland and other low cost countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I always get a laugh out of German plates.

Paying homage to the car's roots is funny these days, since so much of it is built in Romania, Hungary, Poland and other low cost countries.

It annoys me when they're put on the wrong car though. I hate seeing them on Jags for example.

Anybody notice the use of salesman videos for garages on the likes of Facebook. Arm waving, shouting, that sort of thing?

Is there some company doing these videos for them (lots have drone footage etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It annoys me when they're put on the wrong car though. I hate seeing them on Jags for example.

You'd be fairly annoyed if you go to Germany then :O :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Anybody notice the use of salesman videos for garages on the likes of Facebook. Arm waving, shouting, that sort of thing?

Is there some company doing these videos for them (lots have drone footage etc)

There was an ad a couple of years ago that went viral, with a salesman shouting and being ridiculous. Was pretty successful as an ad, and I presume it's copying that.

I think it was a Cork SEAT dealer, but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

That was Finbarr galvins in bandon a lot of garages have copied since.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ba_barabus wrote: »
    New (to us) car time, going is the 2010 Megane dci which I really liked and in comes a 132 Rav4.

Hopefully the days of a fecked back and a baby with concussion from hitting the roof are behind us.

Have exactly same issue, I have to get in a special way not to nock myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Big day in the Golf yesterday and not only because it was 16 degrees at 8am :pac:

20190702-082821.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I may have slightly kinda bought a new car :)

Even after all the mortgage talk :o Infairness this is the longest I ever spent looking as I was looking on and off since January. Being honest I didn't have much intention of buying anything the end of the weekend was just sick of the whole progress and dealing with garages but then one fell into place with me getting a fairly ok deal on it so I am happy.

While it won't be the fanciest car I have ever owned think it will be the funnest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

You’ll have to tell us more than that!
    Come on. What’s the deal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement