Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

I think the a4 is the funnest so far....not hard to beat really in the fun dept :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You’ll have to tell us more than that!
    Come on. What’s the deal?

Predictably enough Golf GTI PP 245BHP DSG. At one point or another I went between S3, Golf R / GTI and Leon Cupra.

I think the GTI really is the best all rounder it can do the just get me to my destination as quietly uneventfully as possible as well as being able to drive it on and have fun and everything in between. It doesn't have the power of the other but I think it has plenty all the same.

My Dad had a Mk7 golf van 1.6tdi for about 4 years and its hard to put your finger on it but while it was literally bottom spec and engine as the range goes there was always just something really nice about it that other cars didn't have.

Lately I just kept thinking I can't go through my whole 20s without owning a proper hot hatch. Seems to be genuinely getting difficult to get nice newer hot hatches which I am putting down to the boom and fear that they will soon be gone well in current petrol engine form anyway. Most seem to be flying out as quickly as they are being traded in not just the Golf but all of them. That didnt help when trying to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Great choice.
    Are you getting a brand new car from stock or used?
    What's the spec?

Great choice.
    Are you getting a brand new car from stock or used?
    What's the spec?

I originally tried to either order one or get a new one from stock. There are none in stock and ordering one from the factory was a bit iffy with mk7.5 production soon ending. So seen an ad for one coming in in July on trade in 181 guy that owned it bought a TCR. So was kind of in talks with the salesman before it came in and once it came in managed to haggle a deal and snapped it up as if I didn’t buy it I am sure some one else would of by the end of the week.

Spec apart from the performance pack, it has technology pack, upgraded 19 inch Brescia alloys and a panoramic sunroof which I really wanted something with a sunroof as I have never had one. So it’s far from having every option on it but at the same time if I had been buying brand new there wouldn’t of been a whole lot more I would have added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Well wear when you get it.
    Look forward to some pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    I originally tried to either order one or get a new one from stock. There are none in stock and ordering one from the factory was a bit iffy with mk7.5 production soon ending. So seen an ad for one coming in in July on trade in 181 guy that owned it bought a TCR. So was kind of in talks with the salesman before it came in and once it came in managed to haggle a deal and snapped it up as if I didn’t buy it I am sure some one else would of by the end of the week.

Spec apart from the performance pack, it has technology pack, upgraded 19 inch Brescia alloys and a panoramic sunroof which I really wanted something with a sunroof as I have never had one. So it’s far from having every option on it but at the same time if I had been buying brand new there wouldn’t of been a whole lot more I would have added.

Tech pack, 19s and pano roof make that a very decent spec imo, well wear.

What colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CIP4 wrote: »
    Being honest I didn't have much intention of buying anything...
    :D

Not your ornery onager

Well wear when you get it.
    Look forward to some pictures.

Either Saturday or early next week.
    Tech pack, 19s and pano roof make that a very decent spec imo, well wear.

What colour?

White. Which I think suits it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaay. Best car choice you’ve ever made CIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well gratz Cip, how long until you will start crying that it's not Audi and be on the hunt again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well gratz Cip, how long until you will start crying that it's not Audi and be on the hunt again. :D

Shhhh - cheap GTI for someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Well wear CIP great choice. Welcome to the mk7 club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Well wear cip. I thought after all this search you were going to get a diesel A4. Fair play for being a bit adventurous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Nice one CIP. The white suits the GTI's red bits, and the sunroof sets them off well too.
    Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Still undecided on a car. Have ruled out, Insignia, Mazda 6, S40. Still in contention : Avensis, Passat, Octavia, Mondeo. Have around 6k to spend. So would be a 2011 or 2012.
    Any thoughts? Am leaning towards an Avensis, but the Octavia looks to be a similar car with better fuel economy (1.6 diesel).
    Have a pain in my head looking at cars now. If I get stopped in the one I'm driving I'll be put off the road! 07 Saab 93.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Still undecided on a car. Have ruled out, Insignia, Mazda 6, S40. Still in contention : Avensis, Passat, Octavia, Mondeo. Have around 6k to spend. So would be a 2011 or 2012.
    Any thoughts? Am leaning towards an Avensis, but the Octavia looks to be a similar car with better fuel economy (1.6 diesel).
    Have a pain in my head looking at cars now. If I get stopped in the one I'm driving I'll be put off the road! 07 Saab 93.
    Any links to the ads your looking at? They seek cheap but I'm admittedly not tuned in to prices right now.

Both of those cars can throw up expensive issues. I drive a 2013 Avensis and had to replace the injectors 12 months ago. Having said that I find it comfortable and spacious. I do a lot of long journeys and find it more comfortable than a colleagues Octavia. It'll come down to personal choice I'd think but would need to see the cars you're looking at.

What mileage was on it when you got injectors done? And how much?

What mileage was on it when you got injectors done? And how much?

It was on 120k kms. I had all 4 done and some other bits as it was under warranty. You could have them done 1 by 1 for about 400e.

With the 1.6TDI you'll get a egr failure and know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stay clear of 1.6 bag and at least go 2.0.

Stay clear of 1.6 bag and at least go 2.0.

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

It's ****e. And the emissions updates didn't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

I'd say you were unlucky with the injectors I've 162k km on mine with no problems I'd recommend an avensis no problems

ofcork wrote: »
    I'd say you were unlucky with the injectors I've 162k km on mine with no problems I'd recommend an avensis no problems

Nah it's a common fault that should have been sorted under a recall. I love mine and have no complaints. The garage looked after me at the time so I've literally no complaints. 169k on it now

I've never heard about it very reliable compared to others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Why?

Very underpowered in bigger cars and they've a narrow power band too.

Fuel economy on them drops considerably if driven at 120km/h+ on motorways.

A touch under 120km/h is their sweet spot.

If going for an avensis go for a facelift 2012 one.

I've never heard about it very reliable compared to others though.

I'd replace line with another, preferably an estate. Having a decent spec makes them a comfortable place to be.

The 2016 facelift are a nice place to be too.

The 2016 facelift are a nice place to be too.

But BMW diesel engine.....

I assume the 2l is still the Toyota engine?

• Advertisement

I assume the 2l is still the Toyota engine?

Nope. Both are BMW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement