Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

CIP4 wrote: »
    No well they wouldn’t budge at all it was a Leon Cupra. Tbh I am thinking the Golf GTI is a far better all round car better spec better interior. It has good performance when you want it but can just be driven normally when wanted. ...............

Have you driven one?
    A short while ago who were reckoning you wanted 300bhp as a GTi would be too tame for you. I'd agree with you in a way after spending a weekend in a GTi recently where I was able to really let it stretch it's legs.
    But then you get iirc 40k kms out of front tyres on the A4 so it seems you're not at all heavy footed?
    Will you really track your own new GTi on the ring too?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Has anyone gotten their car reupholstered in leather here as an aftermarket upgrade? I'm looking to import a Tiguan and there's an amount of cloth/fleece spec cars with everything else I'm looking for, I'm not sure the budget could extend to an R-Line (It nearly definitely won't, much and all as I'd love one) so I'm looking at other possibilities to get leather, as I have it now and i don't think I could hack going back to cloth seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You'd spend a lot more retrofitting leather onto cloth seats compared to ponying up for a model with them already.

You'd spend a lot more retrofitting leather onto cloth seats compared to ponying up for a model with them already.

The price differential is looking to be in the region of €6-7k from what I can see browsing on Autotrader, £3k or so Sterling differential and then an additional €3k or so VRT, I suppose I figured getting a car done out in leather could be achievable for a good bit less than that, though I've no idea what it would come down to in costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Rather than a retrim I would go for an interior from a breakers. I did this years ago and got a full leather interior, door cards trim pieces as well as electric heated seats for about 500 quid. It's oem too. I don't think I'd buy a car with a retrim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 parttimeadult

oodles19 wrote: »
    The price differential is looking to be in the region of €6-7k from what I can see browsing on Autotrader, £3k or so Sterling differential and then an additional €3k or so VRT, I suppose I figured getting a car done out in leather could be achievable for a good bit less than that, though I've no idea what it would come down to in costs..

Look into getting an interior out of a broken one in the UK maybe?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Rather than a retrim I would go for an interior from a breakers. I did this years ago and got a full leather interior, door cards trim pieces as well as electric heated seats for about 500 quid. It's oem too. I don't think I'd buy a car with a retrim.

That's an idea actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

oodles19 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten their car reupholstered in leather here as an aftermarket upgrade? I'm looking to import a Tiguan and there's an amount of cloth/fleece spec cars with everything else I'm looking for, I'm not sure the budget could extend to an R-Line (It nearly definitely won't, much and all as I'd love one) so I'm looking at other possibilities to get leather, as I have it now and i don't think I could hack going back to cloth seats!

Had it done to numerous cars over the years, and at least 1 Tiguan Allspace in the past year or so.

Generally to factory standard, and quite often better. If you didn't know it wasn't factory fit, you wouldn't know it's not factory fit, and there's a much nicer leather smell in the car than you'd get with factory fit.

It's around the same cost as the factory option on a new car. If looking at used though, the price between one with leather and one without isn't going to be as big as on a new car.

Not sure what retail pricing is, but around €2,000 would be a good guess.

http://nolanautocare.ie/contact-us would be my first choice, if they are taking on non-trade work at the moment. Used them previously for quite a few jobs - used to do S-Max/Galaxy for us fairly frequently as it was a €3,500 factory option, but €2,000 ish from Nolan's.

http://www.autoglaze.ie/contact.htm do a lot of work for Main dealers / importers and I've been in a good few vehicles they'd retrofitted leather to, and it's top quality work.

€2k for a full leather retrofit is very, very good!

There's also a crowd in Kilkenny - A&T Style in Hebron Industrial Estate.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Had it done to numerous cars over the years, and at least 1 Tiguan Allspace in the past year or so.

Generally to factory standard, and quite often better. If you didn't know it wasn't factory fit, you wouldn't know it's not factory fit, and there's a much nicer leather smell in the car than you'd get with factory fit.

It's around the same cost as the factory option on a new car. If looking at used though, the price between one with leather and one without isn't going to be as big as on a new car.

Not sure what retail pricing is, but around €2,000 would be a good guess.

http://nolanautocare.ie/contact-us would be my first choice, if they are taking on non-trade work at the moment. Used them previously for quite a few jobs - used to do S-Max/Galaxy for us fairly frequently as it was a €3,500 factory option, but €2,000 ish from Nolan's.

http://www.autoglaze.ie/contact.htm do a lot of work for Main dealers / importers and I've been in a good few vehicles they'd retrofitted leather to, and it's top quality work.

That's some great info there!! I'll be sure to get in touch and see what I would be looking at on price. Thanks very much for the steer, I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Alanstrainor, think I just saw your e46 fueling up in Portmarnock. Looked well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Stupid question here about the leather retrofit - but how do they manage the following......

1) airbags in the seat.....

2) manufacturer warranty....

3) the insurance - ie is it a modification.

One massive advantage of a retrofit would be if you can choose a colour - so black cloth might be replaced by cream leather - do they allow that or is it generic colours

Old diesel wrote: »
    Stupid question here about the leather retrofit - but how do they manage the following......

1) airbags in the seat.....

2) manufacturer warranty....

3) the insurance - ie is it a modification.

One massive advantage of a retrofit would be if you can choose a colour - so black cloth might be replaced by cream leather - do they allow that or is it generic colours

1. They disconnect the wiring, remove the seat and incorporate the airbags into the leather as the manufacturer would.

2. There wouldn't be any manufacturer warranty on the new leather but whoever does the job would provide their own warranty.

3. It's not a performance modification and has no bearing on it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Old diesel wrote: »

Generally, you can have whatever colour you want within reason, keep in mind cream leather often comes with cream dash, carpets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Go take a drive in one, they're hoonigan fun :D

Between Leon Cupra and i30N myself for next year, drove Cupra before, but not i30N. I watched a lot of videos on i30N and almost all of them praise it. The sound alone makes me want it more. :D
    If it's the last petrol car, before we all green, might as well bonkers all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Unfortunately nothing is simple you can’t just buy a golf GTI brand new and get it next week which I was possibly naively thinking that there would be 10 of them sitting in Dublin ready to go which isn’t the case. Not sure why I always assumed the likes of VW Ireland kept a decent stock of cars in Ireland for those that didn’t want to go the factory order route.

If you express an interest with the VW dealers, they'd ring you with the incoming cars before they go up online. I went to test drive one 2 weeks ago and it was sold before I got to, dealer took my details, he's rang twice saying such and such car with this spec is coming in, you can put a deposit down now and we can refund if you're not happy on viewing. I thought that was decent enough.
    Between Leon Cupra and i30N myself for next year, drove Cupra before, but not i30N. I watched a lot of videos on i30N and almost all of them praise it. The sound alone makes me want it more. :D
    If it's the last petrol car, before we all green, might as well bonkers all the way?

Similar to my thinking - might as well go out with a bang....

...even though we all know the government proposal is years away and not very well thought out, good excuse to get a guzzler all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The N is pure bonkers fun, and makes you feel like a kid everytime you drive it! The giggles from the pops and bangs is all worth the shocking fuel economy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The N is pure bonkers fun, and makes you feel like a kid everytime you drive it! The giggles from the pops and bangs is all worth the shocking fuel economy :pac:
    I'm surprised at the 0-60 time for the power it puts out. I would have thought a sub 5 seconds would be achievable.
    Does sound cool though.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the 0-60 time for the power it puts out. I would have thought a sub 5 seconds would be achievable.
    Does sound cool though.

Front wheel drive and manual are the issue there. The 4wd dsg stuff makes a huge difference. Arguably makes them less fun.

I'm not sure if any fwd hatches can do 60 in less than 5 secs.

Car getting serviced today so sitting in a BM showroom in Derry. The metal up here is so different from the showroom in Sligo. New X5 m50d would be a nice school runner. So many little touches in it. The cup holders can be chilled or heated and they glow red or blue accordingly.

Sat in a new M4 comp pack and it's very old hat inside compared to the new generation interiors, it's just the same as my 2014 3 series interior pretty much.

New white kitted out 3 series here too, nice enough looking machine inside and out. The new z4 looks well too, they have a blue m40i out in the sun with the roof down. Would be a great car to rent on holiday somewhere but not sure I could ever drive around in one at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Car getting serviced today so sitting in a BM showroom in Derry. The metal up here is so different from the showroom in Sligo. New X5 m50d would be a nice school runner. So many little touches in it. The cup holders can be chilled or heated and they glow red or blue accordingly.

Sat in a new M4 comp pack and it's very old hat inside compared to the new generation interiors, it's just the same as my 2014 3 series interior pretty much.

New white kitted out 3 series here too, nice enough looking machine inside and out. The new z4 looks well too, they have a blue m40i out in the sun with the roof down. Would be a great car to rent on holiday somewhere but not sure I could ever drive around in one at home.
    that wouldn't be hard since theirs only authorized service agent now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Front wheel drive and manual are the issue there. The 4wd dsg stuff makes a huge difference. Arguably makes them less fun.

I'm not sure if any fwd hatches can do 60 in less than 5 secs.
    Just realised what I typed, I meant sub 6 seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Whatever about buying secondhand a good depreciated rate i couldn't live with the 130 interior if bought new or for near new pricing, i drove one when i had my S3 and the quality of the materials used on the 10 year old S3 was far superior to that of the Demo i30, also the pops and bangs are too thinny and fabricated sounding i'd grow tired to of them very quickly.

Seriously fast and capable car though, rolling it was every bit as fast as my stage1 S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is there much of a saving going north for the service or is it just more convenient?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is there much of a saving going north for the service or is it just more convenient?

Better coffee :)

Didn't price check, would say they are similar. I've had the car serviced in Sligo too but jKC much nicer environment. Just as handy for me too.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just realised what I typed, I meant sub 6 seconds :)

Carwow put up a video today. Both Renault and VW have similar engine specs I think. Nothing surprising in the result but shows the difference off the line the 4wd makes.

In the rolling race he seems confused that the vw left the Mégane but I think he forgot about the dsg changes making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

The car search is turning into a nightmare. Went to go look at a Cupra today by the time I got there it had been sold. My preference would be a Golf GTI PP but you can’t order new ones now well you can but they aren’t guaranteeing you’ll get one.

Then you have used ones. Which there are very few off and I am getting crippled on trade in price on them and most dealers seem to have this take it or leave attitude possibly down to:
    1. The ‘boom’ is back so people now have allusions they have loads of money and should buy hot hatched instead of the diesels they were buying.
    2. The new emissions limits are pushing people into buying up what’s around.
    3. Being so close to 192 dealers are busy and it’s just a bad time to look.
    4. My A4 is a very undesirable trade in car.

I could just be keeping the A4 at this point as I can’t stomach some of the trade in values being thrown around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The car search is turning into a nightmare. Went to go look at a Cupra today by the time I got there it had been sold. My preference would be a Golf GTI PP but you can’t order new ones now well you can but they aren’t guaranteeing you’ll get one.

Then you have used ones. Which there are very few off and I am getting crippled on trade in price on them and most dealers seem to have this take it or leave attitude possibly down to:
    1. The ‘boom’ is back so people now have allusions they have loads of money and should buy hot hatched instead of the diesels they were buying.

I could just be keeping the A4 at this point as I can’t stomach some of the trade in values being thrown around.

Waiting for a 2020 plate would be a no brainer at this stage of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Your A4 is a far from undesireable car. Boom is definitely not back as far as irish car sales are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Keep the A4, buy something fun for the weekend is one option.

Or try and sell the A4 privately and make do for a week or so if you're caught out between that and the new one. You'll have much better leverage on the price then.

EDIT - stolen from another thread:

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/201902084739691

That's been there a little bit so there might be scope for bargaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement