Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex RTÉ producer sentenced to 18 months in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

McCrack wrote: »
    There are many examples in the UK of child abusers being brought before the courts because of the good work being voluntarily done by these groups. Our own RTE man sure.

no, it's because the police have enough evidence once they do further investigations. the groups have effectively a non-part to play in this, only handing some evidence for which the police do the actual work.
    And ive no doubt either that the publicity that these arrests generate has deterred other abusers from trying to groom children online for their own perverse enjoyment

i'd very much doubt it. they can go elsewhere online where they are less likely to be caught. i'd suggest this is more wishful thinking rather then reality.
    That’s terrible. Gardai should be thankful for the help. These concerned citizens aren’t breaking any laws by detaining paedos. How many have been charged with “wasting police time” (which is illegal and chargeable) in NI or ROI??

thankfully, gardai are not thankful for the "help" of untrained non-concerned citizens with to much time on their hands and who really, get in the way of the gardai's work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Strazdas wrote: »
    Do you know how many people have been charged in the ROI and NI after one of these "citizen's arrest" by vigilante groups? I can give you the precise figure : zero (meaning they are completely wasting police time and resources).

Even if they not charged at least they are exposed to the public.

Most people would want to know if there was a sex beast living in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Even if they not charged at least they are exposed to the public.

Most people would want to know if there was a sex beast living in their area.

In truth, I've a feeling these groups couldn't care less whether the person is charged or not by the police or ever brought to court. It seems to be all about naming and shaming the suspect perverts and streaming it live on Facebook.

The danger here of course is that they could target innocent people, or one of these confrontations could spiral out of control and see someone seriously injured or killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This Phil guy who was interviewed the other night is a hero.

Paedos should just do the decent thing and kill themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Paedos should just do the decent thing and kill themselves.

First they should seek help, then if that fails - for me they deserve a death penalty if they do something sicko.

How something so evil can rock their boats is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Schwanz wrote: »
    First they should seek help, then if that fails - for me they deserve a death penalty if they do something sicko.

How something so evil can rock their boats is beyond me.

There was a programme on channel 4 a few years ago where they interviewed one of them.

I nearly vomited listening to him talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In truth, I've a feeling these groups couldn't care less whether the person is charged or not by the police or ever brought to court. It seems to be all about naming and shaming the suspect perverts and streaming it live on Facebook.

The danger here of course is that they could target innocent people, or one of these confrontations could spiral out of control and see someone seriously injured or killed.

They wait for people to make contact with their decoys so how can they be targeting anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Moving away from phoefiles and under age sex, you could see these groups widen our, the men who pay prostitutes for sex is now a crime on the island of Ireland, people will be named and shamed, a big fine and maybe a term in jail. Its so easy to catch men in this way, just wait outside of a building and wait for the catch.
    We all better keep It in our underpants.

Moving away from phoefiles and under age sex, you could see these groups widen our, the men who pay prostitutes for sex is now a crime on the island of Ireland, people will be named and shamed, a big fine and maybe a term in jail. Its so easy to catch men in this way, just wait outside of a building and wait for the catch.
    We all better keep It in our underpants.

Nobody cares what consenting adults do amongst themselves.

This Phil guy who was interviewed the other night is a hero.

the police and prosecutors are the heroes. they actually get the cases to court.

• Advertisement

the police and prosecutors are the heroes. they actually get the cases to court.

Are you talking about the same Police in the UK who turned a blind eye to the mass rape of English girls by Pakistan gangs ?

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Are you talking about the same Police in the UK who turned a blind eye to the mass rape of English girls by Pakistan gangs ?

not all police officers across the uk will be responsible for that. those who are should be jailed indefinitely.

not all police officers across the uk will be responsible for that. those who are should be jailed indefinitely.

It shows that the Police in the UK are not up to the job of protecting children.

There is a disturbing trend in the left wing media to downplay or even normalise pedophilia.

So does Hollywood.

I only recently found out that the Indiana Jones character is a Paedophile.

Craven wasn't even on the cops radar, in other words they knew nothing about him so if it was up to them there wouldn't be a case to bring to court.

Explain that one to me whenever you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Some people around here think these exposure groups are usurping the role and function of the police when that is not so.

Another poster refers to them as "vigilantes" and when one actually looks up the precise definition of what a vigilante actually is we see that they could not possibly be when they are acting within the law and Ive referenced the legislation previously for this jurisdiction.

The reality is these exposure groups are most certainly acting with lawful authority. When they have enough evidence and identify their target they make an arrest. They then call the police and hand the target over to police custody.

The police then commence their investigation and submit a file to the prosecuting authority. A court appearance will follow with due process.

Its no different to a retail security officer witnessing a theft (being an arrestable offence), following the person out of the shop, stopping them outside, arresting them and calling the police. Same idea, no usurption of the police function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

18mths is a slap on the wrist for this sort of thing though IMO

I think the court got it right in a situation where there was no previous convictions and no actual contact with a child

I think the public outing and disgust, losing his job and I suspect his marriage will far outweigh any loss of liberty punishment

And good enough for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think the court got it right in a situation where there was no previous convictions and no actual contact with a child

I think the public outing and disgust, losing his job and I suspect his marriage will far outweigh any loss of liberty punishment

And good enough for him

No actual contact with a child in this instance. Who knows how many he fiddled previously. His FB profile showed he’d travelled to a lot of known paedo-tourism places. 18 months is a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And good enough for him

I'd agree with this post. You can't punish on the grounds he's been to certain countries so may have done this or that. Anyway, his life is fcuked on these shores. You can see the toll it's taken on him physically. Good enough for the vile POS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Some people around here think these exposure groups are usurping the role and function of the police when that is not so.

Another poster refers to them as "vigilantes" and when one actually looks up the precise definition of what a vigilante actually is we see that they could not possibly be when they are acting within the law and Ive referenced the legislation previously for this jurisdiction.

The reality is these exposure groups are most certainly acting with lawful authority. When they have enough evidence and identify their target they make an arrest. They then call the police and hand the target over to police custody.

The police then commence their investigation and submit a file to the prosecuting authority. A court appearance will follow with due process.

Its no different to a retail security officer witnessing a theft (being an arrestable offence), following the person out of the shop, stopping them outside, arresting them and calling the police. Same idea, no usurption of the police function.

You are referring to what is happening in England only. No person in the ROI and NI has ever been charged on the back of such an event (and I suspect the reason is that the authorities north and south regard such stings as illegal or that the "evidence" would be completely inadmisible in an Irish court).

BBC NI reported recently that senior officers in the PSNI have warned such groups to cease their activities immediately and that they will not work with them in any way.

The process is the exact same here-

Identify target, arrest target, call Garda, hand custody of target over to Garda, Garda investigation, initial District Court appearance, bail, file to DPP, green light, summons, judicial process takes over

You are referring to what is happening in England only. No person in the ROI and NI has ever been charged on the back of such an event (and I suspect the reason is that the authorities north and south regard such stings as illegal or that the "evidence" would be completely inadmisible in an Irish court).

BBC NI reported recently that senior officers in the PSNI have warned such groups to cease their activities immediately and that they will not work with them in any way.

But you're leaving out one important point here, the cops don't even know what these guys are up to in most cases.

You and others might not like the methods they use but a paedo the public knows about and is reported to the police/guards is better than one who never gets caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

For a long time I’ve argued that lessons in basic judicial procedures should be part of secondary school education.
    I’m often horrified when I hear otherwise sensible sane adults commenting on what they think their rights are as either victim or perpetrator.
    These vigilante gangs are pure poison.
    I doubt if they have very much empathy or sympathy for victims of paedophilia.
    They’re just angry angry vicious bullies who have found legitimate easily trapped targets for their pursuits.
    Disgusting.

splinter65 wrote: »
    For a long time I’ve argued that lessons in basic judicial procedures should be part of secondary school education.
    I’m often horrified when I hear otherwise sensible sane adults commenting on what they think their rights are as either victim or perpetrator.
    These vigilante gangs are pure poison.
    I doubt if they have very much empathy or sympathy for victims of paedophilia.
    They’re just angry angry vicious bullies who have found legitimate easily trapped targets for their pursuits.
    Disgusting.

Craven and others like him are the ones who make the first contact with the fake profiles they set up.

He was also in contact with real children on FB, sent a pic of his cock to what he thought was a 13 year old girl and travelled to Leeds to sleep with her and yet you are angry with the people who outed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You will always get apologists in any thread on Boards. Never thought it would get to the point of paedo apologists though. Sickening.

Craven and others like him are the ones who make the first contact with the fake profiles they set up.

He was also in contact with real children on FB, sent a pic of his cock to what he thought was a 13 year old girl and travelled to Leeds to sleep with her and yet you are angry with the people who outed him.

Paedophiles are a stain on humanity. They need to be hunted down captured and put somewhere where they can’t hurt anyone else.
    But not by a bunch of thugs with all their own unresolved issues.
    If a paedophile thinks he’s going to be trapped like this he’ll just find a further more underground way to get access to kids.
    And the vigilante will have to find another “deserving” victim for there bullying urges.
    Shoplifters?

You will always get apologists in any thread on Boards. Never thought it would get to the point of pardo apologists though. Sickening.

If you can point out where I apologized for a paedophile then please go ahead. Otherwise you can withdraw your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Always amazed by the fact that when we call out these phoney thugs for what they are - we are "Peado apologists".

• Advertisement

Always amazed by the fact that when we call out these phoney thugs for what they are - we are "Peado apologists".

You see you have just insulted a group of people that voluntarily give their time to identify and publicly expose dangerous and harmful men that want to sexually abuse children.

A thug by definition is a violent criminal. It is clear from the video recording that violence is not used or threatened. Their actions are perfectly lawful.

I think you need to reassess your opinion

Advertisement