Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex RTÉ producer sentenced to 18 months in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

would you not like to know that some person down the road is a sex offender so you can make sure your kids are kept away from them?

What about the sex offenders in the area that nobody knows about? At least the known sex offenders are being somewhat monitored ,remotely, by AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

pilly wrote: »
    So if there are sex offenders in every single area what's the point in knowing?

In the U.S. there seems to be offenders in every area. I'm not suggesting people leaving kids with every and anyone who doesn't appear on the sex offenders register. I do think the sex offenders register is a good idea...why not be aware that they pose a threat to children?

you are assuming that they are all strangers. You wouldn't like to know if somebody that you were acquainted with was a sex offender?

If you don’t leave your dependent kids alone with other adults then you don’t have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

splinter65 wrote: »
    What about the sex offenders in the area that nobody knows about?

The more information you have the better precautions you can take. i would have thought that was obvious.
    At least the known sex offenders are being somewhat monitored ,remotely, by AGS?

they are? they are free to move around. I would be beyond shocked if the gardai were monitoring them at all. In what way do you think the gardai can monitor them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

In the U.S. there seems to be offenders in every area. I'm not suggesting people leaving kids with every and anyone who doesn't appear on the sex offenders register. I do think the sex offenders register is a good idea...why not be aware that they pose a threat to children?

Because it leads to paranoia. Also attacks and intimidation. Do you honestly think Irish people with access to that information wouldn't attack people? And they can always get it mixed up and attack innocent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you don’t leave your dependent kids alone with other adults then you don’t have to worry.

unless you are standing next to them 24 hours a day you cant guarantee that.

pilly wrote: »
    Because it leads to paranoia. Also attacks and intimidation. Do you honestly think Irish people with access to that information wouldn't attack people? And they can always get it mixed up and attack innocent people.

The flipside of that argument is that by not making the public aware of them leaves them free to attack/abuse other kids. Why should they get to serve half of a Medicore, concurrent sentence, and rock out of jail ready to groom a new set of victims.

In my opinion, the laws and legislations surrounding the whole area of sexual abuse in Ireland is archaic, and stems from a time when some higher ups turned a blind eye to paedophilia. I think the laws need to be updated , as a deterrent for would-be offenders.

The more information you have the better precautions you can take. i would have thought that was obvious.

they are? they are free to move around. I would be beyond shocked if the gardai were monitoring them at all. In what way do you think the gardai can monitor them?

I don’t have a problem with public access to the sex offenders list. Who cares a damn about any of them or their rights and entitlements?
    The problem I have is that a huge swathe of parents appear to be under the impression that all sex offenders are on this list and that they only have to be wary of those people.
    There’s no doubt AGS know all the offenders on the list in their area. This in itself curtails the activities of your known sex offender. It is a type of low level monitoring.

[quote="splinter65;106448004"
    The problem I have is that a huge swathe of parents appear to be under the impression that all sex offenders are on this list and that they only have to be wary of those people.
    [/quote]

I would really hope that's not the case.

unless you are standing next to them 24 hours a day you cant guarantee that.

You can’t garuntee anything. And I’m anti hysteria/paranoia/helicoptering.
    You’ve got to literally brainwash your kids from an early age that no adult ever ever needs to put their hands on them. And if an adult wants to give you sweets or any kind of treats then you have to say please and thank you but you don’t have to do anything in return. All that stuff. You’ve got to hammer it home until they are shouting “ shut up mammy”.
    You’ve got to make sure every single day that they know that they can and must tell you everything and anything they want to tell you and that you can and will fix it.

• Advertisement

I would really hope that's not the case.

I’m afraid you’d be shocked if you heard some of the rubbish I listen too.

I’m afraid you’d be shocked if you heard some of the rubbish I listen too.

Sounds like it would be shocking enough alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The punishment seems very insufficient to me but I suppose his real punishment was being posted online by that Facebook group

shamrock55 wrote: »
    He was hardly meeting her to play tiddlywinks,the intent was there,why do we have to wait till something bad happens,this creep was only after one thing and I'd have no problem even hanging the prick

Yeh it sucks, but the sentence has to be less for attempt to commit a crime than actually committing the crime..its just logical sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

wakka12 wrote: »
    The punishment seems very insufficient to me but I suppose his real punishment was being posted online by that Facebook group

His life is ruined whatever way you look at it.

That photo of how much he aged in 4 months is absolutely mad! Shows what stress does to your health

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Did anyone see the interview last night on the Pat Kenny show? It seems that anyone who questions these vigilante's methods is a paedophile sympathizer which is absolutely ridiculous. If they really cared or are serious about protecting children why don't they just hand the evidence over to the police without broadcasting it live all over facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Did anyone see the interview last night on the Pat Kenny show? It seems that anyone who questions these vigilante's methods is a paedophile sympathizer which is absolutely ridiculous. If they really cared or are serious about protecting children why don't they just hand the evidence over to the police without broadcasting it live all over facebook?

it's basically an attempt by the members of these groups and their supporters to silence anyone who disagrees with them because they know they have no actual argument. thankfully it doesn't work. they have the same trend in relation to any other issue, where they accuse people of being of the opposite extreme view.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Completely agree. Even though Im glad he's going to jail, Im still critical of the groups methods, and , their motivations. Just because you're critical of the group, who in my opinion seem like bad people mostly, and I believe safety of children is a good bit down their list of priorities , doesnt mean I think the man shouldn't be punished for what he did, the two opinions are not mutually exclusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

because just like here the police would do little or nothing if they could get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Feisar wrote: »
    In this instance there was no child though. So may I ask, what did is the actual offence here?

I'm in no way trying to defend this lad or say he shouldn't be locked up. I'm just trying to understand the actual crime committed.

If the cops set up a drug sting, with another cop posing as the buyer. So there is no actual buyers what is the actual offence there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Because as seen time and time again, the cops will do little or nothing. Have you had to call them recently??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do the Police view these vigilante groups?

I'm sure they are not best pleased about civilians involving themselves in police business.

I'm all for citizens doing voluntary investigative work but I believe they should hand over their findings and evidence to the Police once complete.

Filming themselves confronting the accused for youtube and social media likes, not to mention potential financial gain through these platforms is dishonorable behaviour.

I also think the people they target is a bit sad. Most of the people they catch are extremely stupid, some seem to be verging on actual retardation. They're also always ugly and old..and always show their face to the fake little girl.so no 13-14 year old girl will ever meet them. I think thats kind of cruel honestly.

The RTE guy is an exception to this as he seems at least average intelligence and was blackmailing children. Got what was coming
    But many of the people I saw videos of hadn't a brain stem between them,and simply would not have their where with all to even trick a 13-14 year old to meet them

The ones who are an actual threat to children safety would never be stupid enough to be caught by this justice group. They're picking the easiest catch possible for likes/moment of fame
    If they were trying to catch real predators they wouldn't be on Plenty of fish/Okcupid, and also targetting people on a website that requires members to be 18+ means they were not seeking to meet children, and decoy picture is always of a girl over 18, which means the target was never even actually speaking to a child
    It all just stinks a bit and is undeniably unethical

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Chrongen wrote: »
    A proven fallacy. The fact is that the harsher the prison the higher the recidivism.

Another fact: capital punishment cuts recidivism to 0%

Because as seen time and time again, the cops will do little or nothing. Have you had to call them recently??

come on now. i think we both know that isn't the reason. we all know the reasons are. fishing for likes and fame. to subvert the innocent until proven guilty rule and to insure the life of the accused is ruined, regardless of guilt or innocence. if the accused is found guilty then fair enough fcuk them but not before hand.
    Another fact: capital punishment cuts recidivism to 0%

so does life in prison. which over all can be less costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I applaud what they do.

Police generally react after the damage is done.

Pedo hunters identify and expose these predators before the damage is done. Their actions as ive explained previously are perfectly lawful.

The RTE man is a great catch and one to be applauded by any right thinking person.

McCrack wrote: »
    I applaud what they do.

Pedo hunters identify and expose these predators before the damage is done. Their actions as ive explained previously are perfectly lawful.

The RTE man is a great catch and one to be applauded by any right thinking person.

police react before the damage is done when the evidence comes to light and or where they have the resources. these "paedophile hunters" are not acting in the interests of the public but themselves. they have to set up fake pages to catch these people, so aren't really doing any investigative work. technically, they are only exposing "alleged" paedophiles because they haven't been found guilty yet when exposed. some of their actions are lawful but only just i'd wager.
    the police will get the full credit for the investigations into these people, even if they were handed some of the evidence by these groups. not giving the groups credit will cause them to eventually go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

McCrack wrote: »
    I applaud what they do.

Without the pedo hunters that scumbag from RTE would be still out there free to abuse kids.

You can question their methods but you can't question their results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

police react before the damage is done when the evidence comes to light and or where they have the resources. these "paedophile hunters" are not acting in the interests of the public but themselves. they have to set up fake pages to catch these people, so aren't really doing any investigative work. technically, they are only exposing "alleged" paedophiles because they haven't been found guilty yet when exposed. some of their actions are lawful but only just i'd wager.
    the police will get the full credit for the investigations into these people, even if they were handed some of the evidence by these groups. not giving the groups credit will cause them to eventually go away.

Unfortunately the reality is by the time evidence comes to light by the police the sexual abuse has already occured.

By its very nature the abuse will only come to police attention after it has been committed.

The pedo hunters identify and expose potential threats before they have the opportunity to carry out their abuse.

Advertisement