Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Energywise are another company in Cork that install them. Supplied and Installed a Zappi for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

mark23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have talked to a few companies and all seem to install charger from fuse board. Is it possible to install from meter box instead to avoid cabling? How thick is the cabling from the fuseboard to the charge point anyway?

Mark
    A rec is a registered electrical contractor

The preferred option is still from the distribution board

Read through this newsletter

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As @meercat says, it's only as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

mark23 wrote: »
    I have talked to a few companies and all seem to install charger from fuse board.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes. It’s only a new regulation since last week that you can come from the meter cabinet.
    meercat wrote: »
    The preferred option is still from the distribution board
    Risteard81 wrote: »
    As @meercat says, it's only as a last resort.

Why is it to be a "last resort"?
    Surely it's safe, or not? :confused:.

Kramer wrote: »

To answer my own question, I guess this is probably a good enough reason:
    In situations where this solution is utilised and in order to comply with rule 134.1.7 it is critical to create an awareness that switching off the main isolator at the customers distribution board will not isolate the EV Charger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 whodeeny

Surely it's safe, or not? :confused:.

Had two electricians out this week. Both said it can come off the meter box now instead of the main distribution board and quoted as such.

One of the electricians said he knew it had been coming for a long time, Safe Electric apparently been talking about it for a while but just officially clarified it in the newsletter this month.

I would say ask the electrician who comes out to do the home survey, they should know about the meter box option if they're at all familiar with installing EV chargers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To answer my own question, I guess this is probably a good enough reason:

Similar to Solar PV installations where large stickers are placed in the CU stating “Dual Supply” and a location of the secondary supply.

Maybe something along these lines. A big warning sticker inside the CU and also a warning plate on the EVSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Got a quote for supply and fit of an EO Mini Pro 2 for 1100, including CT clamp for load management.

Same price as Electric Ireland, but is that good value?

Unit itself seems to cost €700-€800 from what I can see. So €300-€400 install doesn't seem outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whodeeny wrote: »
    Only thing I'm wary of is that Electric Ireland apparently are installing the Mini Pro Gen 1 with the Juicenet app (even though they advertise the Mini Pro 2 on their website). I've heard this app is pretty unreliable.

where did you hear that?

I dont think they are installing the pro at all, they are installing the EO Mini with the smart home hub (or at least thats what i got).

Its EO's own app which is basic but works fine.

Cyrus wrote: »
    where did you hear that?

I dont think they are installing the pro at all, they are installing the EO Mini with the smart home hub (or at least thats what i got).

It's the EO Mini Pro 2 they are offering

EO Mini Pro 2

• Advertisement

It's the EO Mini Pro 2 they are offering

EO Mini Pro 2

must have changed it so because when i ordered the pro from EI last year i got this set up (which works great btw)

https://ecarinfra.ie/products/eo-mini-smart-home

must have changed it so because when i ordered the pro from EI last year i got this set up (which works great btw)

https://ecarinfra.ie/products/eo-mini-smart-home

Looks like the only difference is the Pro Mini 2 doesn't have a hub and connects straight to wifi?

Looks like the only difference is the Pro Mini 2 doesn't have a hub and connects straight to wifi?

must be?

not sure how smart you can make these things :D as long as it load balances and i can set it to charge on the night rate i dont need much else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

Hi, apologies in advance if this has been discussed - I did a search of the thread but couldn't find it.
    I have a zappi charger and Kona EV. I have the zappi setup to charge at night-meter hours and for the most part everything works as expected.
    However, from time to time the charger trips the switch and as a result the car doesn't get charged.
    This can be a right pain in the ass in the morning when the car isn't charged enough and I have to go moving child car seats to the ICE!
    It happened against last night/this morning, and the car doesn't seem to have charged at all (GOM was same this morning as last night) so it seems to trip the switch when it hits 1am and the charger should kick in.
    Anyone else have this issue and know what's causing it and how to get around it? I can try setting the hours on the car instead of the zappi, but then you need to remember to override it if using a public charger etc - not a big deal really but would still like to find out what's causing the issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

spakman wrote: »
    Hi, apologies in advance if this has been discussed - I did a search of the thread but couldn't find it.
    I have a zappi charger and Kona EV. I have the zappi setup to charge at night-meter hours and for the most part everything works as expected.
    However, from time to time the charger trips the switch and as a result the car doesn't get charged.
    This can be a right pain in the ass in the morning when the car isn't charged enough and I have to go moving child car seats to the ICE!
    It happened against last night/this morning, and the car doesn't seem to have charged at all (GOM was same this morning as last night) so it seems to trip the switch when it hits 1am and the charger should kick in.
    Anyone else have this issue and know what's causing it and how to get around it? I can try setting the hours on the car instead of the zappi, but then you need to remember to override it if using a public charger etc - not a big deal really but would still like to find out what's causing the issue.

There are known issues with Kona and Zappi, see here to see if this is your problem, if not then contact MyEnergi, they are very open/informative over the phone

https://myenergi.com/kona/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

slave1 wrote: »
    There are known issues with Kona and Zappi, see here to see if this is your problem, if not then contact MyEnergi, they are very open/informative over the phone

https://myenergi.com/kona/

Thanks - yeah, that seems to be the issue alright. This is my scenario:
    but this high load situation probably also occurs when you use a manual boost, or when you set smart boost to switch from Eco to Fast during the night. If it's a smart boost, that will probably be during the night, and you won't even notice that the fuse was tripped until you wake up the next morning.

Sounds like I need to stop using smart boost on the zappi and just use the timer on the car instead.
    Anyone else with a zappi and Kona or e-Niro should do likewise because it can cause much more serious issues than the inconvenience of a tripped switch!
    This can cause:

- The main fuses to the property to blow – these will need to be replaced by the electricity distribution or supply company at a cost to the customer
    - Damage to the zappi – the zappi will need to be repaired or replaced
    - Possible damage to the EV

The article also says Hyundai have a firware release to address the issue. Any updates I've been notified have been applied, so either they haven't rolled it out here yet, or it's not working on my car at least.
    There's also a zappi firmware update for it, so I'll try that also https://myenergi.com/updating-your-firmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whodeeny

where did you hear that?

Their website says Mini Pro 2, but when I phoned them they told me it was the Mini Pro Generation 1. The guy I spoke to asked his manager if they could source and supply and Mini Pro Gen 2 and was told no.

Called Electric Ireland back this morning to get more detail, but the lady on the phone didn't seem know much at all. She told me you just connect directly to the unit with your phone and you don't use an app, which sounds totally wrong compared to all the information on the internet.

P.S. Just called EO to try to figure this one out. He told me the only thing available is the EO Mini Pro 2, and the original EO Mini Pro + Home Hub has been discontinued since last September so he'd be surprised if anyone was still selling this. Regardless, the Juicenet app is apparently gone and now everyhing is done through EO's app. Maybe just crossed wires at Electric Ireland's sales team...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

spakman wrote: »

You will need an electrician to diagnose that for you. Could be a faulty trip switch or moisture getting in or bad contact or anything really.

As pointed out there is a known issue with Kona and Zappi but thats limited to 3-ph connections so not likely related to you so I would discount that entirely unless you have a 3ph Zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Hi folks getting charge point. Have a friend who is reg electrician. What is the cheapest 7.2kw /22kw unit to buy at present? Anyone bought them online abroad? Seem to be cheaper this way. TIA

physioman wrote: »
    Hi folks getting charge point. Have a friend who is reg electrician. What is the cheapest 7.2kw /22kw unit to buy at present? Anyone bought them online abroad? Seem to be cheaper this way. TIA

Cheapest plug and charge is the QUBEV from EVONESTOP in the UK.
    I got one for my parents in January for €231 delivered.

Alternatively, you can buy a second hand unit on Facebook, adverts or DoneDeal etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi Guys,
    Looking into getting either a phev or full electric car this year.
    Main question,
    I live in a terraced house with a foothpath running outside my door.
    I have a porch area that I would plan on getting a charge box fitted ( is tihs possible? )
    also, I planned on using one of those heavy cable mats that bands etc. use so nobody would trip over the cable.
    And, as it would be at the side of the street, could any Joe soap pull up and charge his car off my box if I were away?
    Thanks

vectra wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Looking into getting either a phev or full electric car this year.
    Main question,
    I live in a terraced house with a foothpath running outside my door.
    I have a porch area that I would plan on getting a charge box fitted ( is tihs possible? )
    also, I planned on using one of those heavy cable mats that bands etc. use so nobody would trip over the cable.
    And, as it would be at the side of the street, could any Joe soap pull up and charge his car off my box if I were away?
    Thanks

Public path (Council) or Management Company owned?
    Either will require permission from one of the above.

You cannot have a cable across the path, even with a mat. You’ll be liable for injury from trips and falls.

You also can’t get the grant of the cable has to cross the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Public path (Council) or Management Company owned?
    Either will require permission from one of the above.

You cannot have a cable across the path, even with a mat. You’ll be liable for injury from trips and falls.

You also can’t get the grant of the cable has to cross the path.

Council footpath.
    So I guess that puts paid to looking at either of the above cars then :(
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

vectra wrote: »
    Council footpath.
    So I guess that puts paid to looking at either of the above cars then :(
    Thanks.

It can be done, you'd be installing a pillar on the kerbside to mount the charger and running the cable under the pavement to your house. So more expensive unfortunately

To answer your question about anyone pulling up to charge, you can get chargers with RFID readers so only you can use it. I almost wouldn't bother unless it becomes a problem, the likelihood of someone stealing your electricity is pretty minimal. More likely someone would mistake it for a public charger and a sign saying "Private charge point" seems a simpler and cheaper solution

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It can be done, you'd be installing a pillar on the kerbside to mount the charger and running the cable under the pavement to your house. So more expensive unfortunately

To answer your question about anyone pulling up to charge, you can get chargers with RFID readers so only you can use it. I almost wouldn't bother unless it becomes a problem, the likelihood of someone stealing your electricity is pretty minimal. More likely someone would mistake it for a public charger and a sign saying "Private charge point" seems a simpler and cheaper solution

Needs permission from the council.
    Doubt it will happen unfortunately.

If it was private and management company lands, then possible doing it your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Needs permission from the council.
    Doubt it will happen unfortunately.

If it was private and management company lands, then possible doing it your way.

I would have thought the council would be okay with it assuming it was within the planning laws. They really shouldn't be blocking people from going electric given the current focus on curbing emissions

If they refuse you can always start complaining to local councillors, news groups and resident groups, some negative press might get the ball rolling

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I would have thought the council would be okay with it assuming it was within the planning laws. They really shouldn't be blocking people from going electric given the current focus on curbing emissions

If they refuse you can always start complaining to local councillors, news groups and resident groups, some negative press might get the ball rolling

Council won’t allow you to place a private bollard (pole) on public land. Insurances, liability issues.

I agree it needs to be addressed alright.
    You also can’t go for planning as you don’t own the land in which you want to place the charging pole.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    A standard install is €450 +VAT......

I thought that was expensive enough, but VW have hit new heights of charging :eek:.
    ID. Charger from €494 ID. Charger + Installation from.......€1,329 before SEAI Grant)

So that's €835 installation! That could be as little as 90 minutes, 4 metres of cable & a single hole drilled, if the charge point is near the consumer unit at the front door, as many are. At most, it's up to 15m cable & 2 holes drilled.

Adding a priority switch adds another €240, taking a simple install to almost €1100, charge point excluded :eek:.

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2021/march/210301_RB_ID4MY21.pdf

It's like the California gold rush in the 1800s :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I thought that was expensive enough, but VW have hit new heights of charging :eek:.

So that's €835 installation! That could be as little as 90 minutes, 4 metres of cable & a single hole drilled, if the charge point is near the consumer unit at the front door, as many are. At most, it's up to 15m cable & 2 holes drilled.

Adding a priority switch adds another €240, taking a simple install to almost €1100, charge point excluded :eek:.

https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2021/march/210301_RB_ID4MY21.pdf

It's like the California gold rush in the 1800s :D.

I'd read that again there mate. Think you've picked it up wrong.

Edit: Nope. I was wrong. Some money if you can get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 asimp11

Why do people think this can be done on the cheap? If you get a pro install done your safe electric electrician must check your earth bonding, test your electrode (earth spike), add a new CU unit in most cases as not to overload your existing installation, add an IP isolator. Also because you're adding a new fixed equipment circuit a periodical inspection and certificate must be done for controlled works. If all this is not done it's an illegal install. You could always go for an external IP rated 13amp socket for less than 100 quid and no paperwork but you won't get a full charge.

Advertisement