Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Gumbo wrote: »
    If I wanted to bring my 2017 install closer in line with the regulations, I need an isolator switch.

Am incorrect in saying I need my sparks to install a 40a isolator switch?

Is this sufficient if I pick it up for a REC to install along the cable run and within 2m of the EVSE location?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-cprsd440-4-pole-rotary-isolator-switch-40a/3198r?_requestid=107237

Yeah that's perfect.

Probably better off giving your local Electrical wholesaler a ring. Screwfix, while great, can be a bit pricey for some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

good informative video on what to look out for when getting a home charge point installed.

https://youtu.be/mzAi1hMUaDw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah that's perfect.

Probably better off giving your local Electrical wholesaler a ring. Screwfix, while great, can be a bit pricey for some things.

Completely agree.
    I get 99% of my stuff from REW in Finglas.

Just handy to throw a screw fix link to give an idea of what I’m talking about.

Screw fix is handy for when your stuck on a Sunday morning and something need finishing that day!

Thank you.

who_ru wrote: »
    good informative video on what to look out for when getting a home charge point installed.

https://youtu.be/mzAi1hMUaDw

Following his channel a while now.
    He doesn’t seem to fit an isolator externally beside the chargepoint.

Is that a different UK reg thing or simply because the Zappi (which he fits 99% of the time) has built in protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Dav010 wrote: »
    Respect Risteard, market sets the rate, charging below market rate is bad business.

In your experience, what is the best charger in terms of reliability/smart etc?, what one would you put in your own house?
    EO & Wallbox units are nice. Personally might go for something like an EO Genius although it's really intended for commercial installation.

• Advertisement

If I wanted to bring my 2017 install closer in line with the regulations, I need an isolator switch.

Am incorrect in saying I need my sparks to install a 40a isolator switch?

Is this sufficient if I pick it up for a REC to install along the cable run and within 2m of the EVSE location?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-cprsd440-4-pole-rotary-isolator-switch-40a/3198r?_requestid=107237
    Used those before and to be fair they're not bad for the money. But you should be careful about what the rating is for different types of load. So it's possible you might need a 63A rather than 40A depending. Not to forget that you have a long duration load when charging.

Remember that if the REC supplies the equipment you are liable to pay VAT at the rate of services rather than goods (subject to the two-thirds rule). So there's probably little sense sourcing it yourself. (It also complicates warranty etc. on the equipment.)

Following his channel a while now.
    He doesn’t seem to fit an isolator externally beside the chargepoint.

Is that a different UK reg thing or simply because the Zappi (which he fits 99% of the time) has built in protection?
    An isolator is not required by BS 7671 or IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

€1800 but mine involved lifting the path outside my house and mounting it on a pole cemented into the ground.

Was that across a public footpath? Did you have any issues getting permission from the council/management company?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Was that across a public footpath? Did you have any issues getting permission from the council/management company?

A world of difference between crossing a council path and a management company path.
    If crossing a council path you need their permission and then planning permission which can’t be done as you don’t own the land etc

MC path is easier to get permission from them.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Used those before and to be fair they're not bad for the money. But you should be careful about what the rating is for different types of load. So it's possible you might need a 63A rather than 40A depending. Not to forget that you have a long duration load when charging.

Remember that if the REC supplies the equipment you are liable to pay VAT at the rate of services rather than goods (subject to the two-thirds rule). So there's probably little sense sourcing it yourself. (It also complicates warranty etc. on the equipment.)

Thanks.
    When you say the rating for different types of loads can you expand on this please. I’m trying to understand it rather than question you if you get me.

I have a 32a draw from the car and that could be for hours on end, at any given time. Let’s say 10 hours max but I’ve never charged it that long before.

The house has no other priority loads like showers etc
    Biggest draws other than the charger would be the washing machine/dish washer or maybe the timber dryer in the shed.

Also have a 4.7kw PV array that feeds in some excess.

What would cause you to put in a 63a isolated for example over a 40a?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    When you say the rating for different types of loads can you expand on this please. I’m trying to understand it rather than question you if you get me.

I have a 32a draw from the car and that could be for hours on end, at any given time. Let’s say 10 hours max but I’ve never charged it that long before.

The house has no other priority loads like showers etc
    Biggest draws other than the charger would be the washing machine/dish washer or maybe the timber dryer in the shed.

Also have a 4.7kw PV array that feeds in some excess.

What would cause you to put in a 63a isolated for example over a 40a?

Thanks.
    The 40A stated rating will be for certain types of load, and may need to be derated for other types of load. You should read all the data on this with the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

A world of difference between crossing a council path and a management company path.
    If crossing a council path you need their permission and then planning permission which can’t be done as you don’t own the land etc

MC path is easier to get permission from them.

Yeah I can see how going across council land could be trickier, but it's hard to believe it's impossible in this day and age, especially considering the current government. I hope it's a "depends on the council" type of situation as I know they're all different and some can be more difficult to deal with than others

I imagine they would be inviting a lot of bad press by being seen to block EV adoption. Hopefully adding a charger will be added to the list of exempt works (within reason) so that'll at least remove the planning permission requirement.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The 40A stated rating will be for certain types of load, and may need to be derated for other types of load. You should read all the data on this with the product.

To be honest I’ll just tell him I want an isolator switch and let him worry about the data etc

I’m just trying to get a better understanding of it that’s all.

Yeah I can see how going across council land could be trickier, but it's hard to believe it's impossible in this day and age, especially considering the current government. I hope it's a "depends on the council" type of situation as I know they're all different and some can be more difficult to deal with than others

I imagine they would be inviting a lot of bad press by being seen to block EV adoption. Hopefully adding a charger will be added to the list of exempt works (within reason) so that'll at least remove the planning permission requirement.

Not any time soon.
    Liability is a big issue. Somebody coring through the path and possibly taking council services with them.

Then street furniture. The charger is yours, but who owns the ole it’s attached to. Who is liable if it fell on someone or some kid stuck their fingers into it.

To keep the process up to date, i'll outline my parents process here and update once complete.

QUBEV 32a/7kw Home Charger purchased from here - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

For some reason I got it for £206 through their Amazon Shop so €231 Delivered to my door.

Fitted yesterday by Safe Electric Electrician. His costs were €600 for labour and materials.

So total Outlay so far is €831.

Certificates and Grant form sent to SEAI this morning so I will update once the Grant comes through or any further info the request.
    Its a shame they don't allow email or online upload as if anything goes missing in the post, the Certs are originals so you then have to chase the Electrician for replacements.

Charger installed on 27th January.
    Forms sent to SEAI on 28th January.

Grant of €600 hit the account today. Nearly 2 months to the day.
    No complaints here, Covid and the associated delays that it’s costing but 2 months is not that bad.

Anyway, I said I’d update and close out the above post once payment arrived.

No complaints here, Covid and the associated delays that it’s costing but 2 months is not that bad.

It's not too bad. I'm waiting on an OLEV grant payment for an installation in December, which was approved earlier in the month and should be paid within the next 3 months (as a guideline but not guaranteed). I haven't even had an installation in January approved yet - it will likely be next month.

So SEAI really aren't that bad! And they don't prevent the installer from getting the money at the time - but OLEV do!

It's not too bad. I'm waiting on an OLEV grant payment for an installation in December, which was approved earlier in the month and should be paid within the next 3 months (as a guideline but not guaranteed). I haven't even had an installation in January approved yet - it will likely be next month.

So SEAI really aren't that bad! And they don't prevent the installer from getting the money at the time - but OLEV do!

That’s annoying. I thought the OLEV was more streamlined. Maybe it is but for the bone owner rather than the installer.

Does it turn you off doing them?

That’s annoying. I thought the OLEV was more streamlined. Maybe it is but for the bone owner rather than the installer.

Does it turn you off doing them?

Being honest it does put you off but I still prefer to offer the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Looking for a type 1 to type 2 charge cable.. was there some crowd mentioned here in uk that do.them.at a good price? Cheers

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Looking for a type 1 to type 2 charge cable.. was there some crowd mentioned here in uk that do.them.at a good price? Cheers

EO have one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

gomamochi1 wrote: »

I used these guys a few years back https://evcables.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Anyone know any active discount codes for Evonestop?

podge3 wrote: »
    Anyone know any active discount codes for Evonestop?

What are you buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

What are you buying?
    An EV charge point.

podge3 wrote: »
    An EV charge point.

I’m not aware of my discount codes at the moment. I recently bought a charger from them in January.

If it was a cable, there’s a speakev forum discount on thirdrock energies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve just ordered a Wallbox pulsar plus, is there any need to get a power boost management module?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AidenL

I’m 8 weeks waiting for a charger grant refund at the moment, despite 4-6 weeks being stated as the timeline.

Anyone else experiencing delays with SEAI!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m 8 weeks waiting for a charger grant refund at the moment, despite 4-6 weeks being stated as the timeline.

See post above. I’m waiting 4 weeks at this stage. Not expecting anything for another month or so with Easter break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine took 10 weeks during first lockdown last year.

It will come eventually...

• Advertisement

Normal.
    Have a look at my posts to give accurate up to date timeline.

Advertisement