Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

All the other singers who died over the past few years, didn't affect me, but tears comes to my eyes when I listen to her music, or hear her talk as people look back on her career.
    There is so much love for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

RIP Dolores, Thanks for all the memories. Asleep at last......Your music lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,663 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

139282611.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=400&h=225&crop=1

Like a comet
    Blazing 'cross the evening sky
    Gone too soon

Like a rainbow
    Fading in the twinkling of an eye
    Gone too soon

Shiny and sparkly
    And splendidly bright
    Here one day
    Gone one night

Gone too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Very said. Very talented. Out of every Irish music act, the Cranberries video of Zombie has the most views on Youtube

Talented vocalist. Very very sad. RIP Dolores

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wasn't really a Cranberries fan. I liked one or two of their songs but they weren't really my cuppa. Having said that, I liked that Dolores was something different to the usual pop puppets and that she wasn't afraid to be her own woman. I feel for her family and lived ones, especially her children. She was far too young to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Soundtrack to my youth, have only rediscovered The Cranberries lately while introducing them to my nieces and nephews. What a voice, what passion and what an inspiration to young Irish girls at the time. My brother had nirvana, I had Dolores. Rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

She was only 46, I wonder what happened her!?
    I liked a couple of The Cranberries songs.
    R.i.P

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Terrible news. Loved listening to the Cranberries in the car and have done so for many, many years. Read that she was just 46. Was thinking my baby sister would have been 46 by now had she not passed away 2 years ago. Looked it up and Dolores was born 7 days before my sister. Both women died so young and both left 3 children, 2 girls and a boy, behind. I'm very sad typing this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Very sad loss. Their music was one of the earliest bands I became aware of, it was in films and tv shows like My So Called Life.
    Slowly but surely their music grabbed me, especially Dreams (her voice, her etherealness, she had a mysticism about her in the music video). I was young, i wasn't too familiar with rock, but the Cranberries pulled me in.
    I didn't know they were Irish, not at first. But i learned. To me they were my generations U2.

Absolutely saddened by her passing. Condolences to her family and friends. Very sad.

• Advertisement

I can't believe how young Delores was when she passed. I didn't realise that she was only out of her teens when the band hit the big-time back in the early 90s.

Her voice was wholly unique and the moment you heard it you knew it was her. Similar to the likes of Sinead O'Connor and Shane MacGowan in that respect. Iconic Irish singers whose voice is unmistakable, whether you like that unique tone or not.

We definitely lost one of the good ones in Delores. RIP. Condolences to her family and those who knew and loved her personally.

'Ode to My Family' is my own favourite...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My abiding memory of the cranberries (and highlights their popularity outside of Ireland) always makes me smile. I was working on a summer camp in Spain, and I was in the bathroom on the campsite filling water balloons, when “dreams” came on the radio. It was bizarre to be in the middle of Spain and an Irish song came on a Spanish station.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Never liked the music but fair play to them for being so huge around the world. I didn't realize she was so young, thought she was older. Makes it even sadder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

EazyD wrote: »
    This one is especially hard to take, The Cranberries were my childhood.

Mine too - if you grew up in the 90s they were part of the soundtrack of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

RobertKK wrote: »
    All the other singers who died over the past few years, didn't affect me, but tears comes to my eyes when I listen to her music, or hear her talk as people look back on her career.
    There is so much love for her.

Hers one of only two deaths that stopped me in my tracks in the last two years, George Michael being the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i see the hacks in the media are already bringing up the poor womans history,
    i wish they'd show some respect, she has kids at home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Hers one of only two deaths that stopped me in my tracks in the last two years, George Michael being the other.

Him and Bowie were the two that stopped me dead in my tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Never liked the music but fair play to them for being so huge around the world. I didn't realize she was so young, thought she was older. Makes it even sadder.

I would have thought 50+ too but then their heyday was 20ish years ago and I never thought she was over 30 then.

It’s always so disconcerting when someone young or youngish dies suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Very sad news, I always remember the video for Zombie being a constant on MTV growing up.  Hearing the news made me go and listen to them last night, some songs I haven't heard in years.  Ode to my family is such a beautiful song.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Just listened to my old no need to argue album, love it still !! Shed a tear, no other artist 's death has done that to me ! Teenage memories I suppose.
    I have decided to leave you forever and the daffodils look lovely today. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sad news indeed.

For a while there in the mid 90's The Cranberries looked like they were going to be as big as U2. Zombie is the one most remember but Linger is an understated gem of a song.

Useless but maybe an interesting factoid to some, they were due to open for some Nrvana gigs in Ireland in late 1991 but the shows were cancelled at the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Very sad news, I always remember the video for Zombie being a constant on MTV growing up.  Hearing the news made me go and listen to them last night, some songs I haven't heard in years.  Ode to my family is such a beautiful song.

RIP

Me too, I've been listening to their earlier 90s stuff since yesterday evening, god they really had some gems. Keep coming back to Linger, When you're Gone, Zombie, Fire & Soul and I Will Always. I hope her passing leads to a new audience for The Cranberries' music, or even a deeper appreciation for how bloody great they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dolores used her voice like a musical instrument , Unique and beautiful .Ar dheis De go raibh a hanam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The voice of my teenage years .
    Thank you and may you rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Book of Condolence - Dolores O'Riordan

In memory of Dolores O’Riordan, Limerick City and County Council has opened a book of condolence. RIP.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/your-council/books-condolence/book-condolence-dolores-oriordan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The Met have said there’s nothing suspicious in her death so at least her family will be spared the horror of someone having harmed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

AnneFrank wrote: »

Wouldn't it be worse to have a white washed story?
    Does the story of her life have to be airbrushed to make it seem like plain sailing, sweetness and light?
    Like today's facebook pages where only one side of a story is shown.

When Dolores was in her pomp she was great at playing the media game and getting attention for her career.
    There are two sides to every story.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wouldn't it be worse to have a white washed story?
    Does the story of her life have to be airbrushed to make it seem like plain sailing, sweetness and light?
    Like today's facebook pages where only one side of a story is shown.

When Dolores was in her pomp she was great at playing the media game and getting attention for her career.
    There are two sides to every story.

This is true. You can’t rewrite history.
    The opprobrium the public poured on her head when she attacked the staff on the airplane and the Gardai that came to meet it was indicative of her unpopularity at the time.
    It’s very dishonest to pretend now that she had no flaws.
    I think in time her story should be a warning to kids who dream in suburban bedrooms of rock stardom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

AnneFrank wrote: »

She spoke about her struggles, in public, at length. It was a big part of her life and it came through in her music.

She had no issue talking about it when she was alive.

It was part of who she was. For fúcks sake.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    She spoke about her struggles, in public, at length. It was a big part of her life and it came through in her music.

She had no issue talking about it when she was alive.

It was part of who she was. For fúcks sake.

Her demons were part of what made the music so great - same with the likes of Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington etc - they write about what they know - unfortunately this can take them to some very dark places and they don't always come out!
    It's why so many of us identify with their music....it reaches inside our souls and speaks to us.

Advertisement