Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Because most women of 46 don't just drop dead and Dolores was a public figure so we have perhaps an even greater need to know why.

We don’t have a need to know. We don’t need to know why all 46 year olds die, why Dolores? Because she’s a celebrity- that’s all- it’s rubbernecking

Once the necessary people and officials know that it. They can relay any public need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

He was known to you so that would be understandable.

Why do random people need to know how Dolores died?

I already said who do

Because there are many 46 year olds in Ireland, some of them probably curious as to why a fellow 46 year old person would suddenly drop dead.

A quote from legendary Philosopher, Phil Dunphy:
    When someone your age dies, what's the first thing you want to know? Died of what? You just want to hear if it's something that can't happen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We don’t have a need to know. We don’t need to know why all 46 year olds die, why Dolores? Because she’s a celebrity- that’s all- it’s rubbernecking

Once the necessary people and officials know that it. They can relay any public need
    Correct, or else not publish the details if so requested.
    It's private business.

Because there are many 46 year olds in Ireland, some of them probably curious as to why a fellow 46 year old person would suddenly drop dead.

A quote from legendary Philosopher, Phil Dunphy:
    When someone your age dies, what's the first thing you want to know? Died of what? You just want to hear if it's something that can't happen to you.

How one 46 year old died is of little use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

The death of a 46 year old mother is a tragedy.

However, the traditional media and social media coverage is way over the top. Heaven help us when A-list celebrities like Bono kick the bucket.

How she died is also of relevance; if there’s a sinister reason, she should not be glorified.

The death of a 46 year old mother is a tragedy.

However, the traditional media and social media coverage is way over the top. Heaven help us when A-list celebrities like Bono kick the bucket.

How she died is also of relevance; if there’s a sinister reason, she should not be glorified.

???

Her life and music deserves to be celebrated

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aivilo

I disagree. By glossing over or covering up deaths due to suicide or drug use, a huge disservice is done to the people who succumb to same, and their family and friends.

When someone who seemingly has it all - money, fame, a family, physically healthy, is still so unhappy they feel the need to end it all or use drugs, that should be a clue that we need to stop sweeping these things under the rug and find more effective measures to help people with depression and addiction, not to mention the fact it is one of the highest causes of death for young men and women.

Now, I'm probably biased because I have had five friends in the last 2 years die from either suicide or drugs, and I suffer from depression myself, and I understand that sometimes the family will want it kept private, and there is a fear of 'suicide clusters', but I think underreporting it will lead to more suicides in the long run. If people out there are considering suicide, maybe witnessing the pain that suicides cause to the people left behind will make them reconsider.

A former classmate of mine recently died from an overdose and the mother spoke about mental health support at the funeral and it had a very powerful effect. Because mental health supports in this country are IME, crap. My 21 year old neighbor directly across the street threw himself into the river in the center of town ten years back, and the next door neighbor, an elderly woman, did the same in 2016. It's too widespread to not be up front about it any more IMO

Well said . Brushing it under the carpet helps no one.

aivilo wrote: »
    Well said . Brushing it under the carpet helps no one.

Its not "brushing under the carpet"

Its reporting responsibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I don't have any need to know how she died. I'm not her family or friend. Every time a celebrity dies we don't need to know why. She had kids so while you're chomping at the bit about how she died please think of them. They have no mother in their lives now, when they get married, have kids themselves, go to college or anything their mother won't be there in person. I'm not sure if both Dolores's parents are still alive but they'll have to bury their daughter when it should be the other way around. Maybe people here should just post their favourite song from her and say why it's their favourite.

This song meant a lot.

Was 16, my head wasn't working right, headaches, diagnosed with depression, paranoia and I was in a bad place. 6 months later collapsed i school with hydrocephalus. Life saving surgery in Beaumont after having CAT scan in Tullamore to decide if I could be saved.

My inner turmoil expressed brilliantly in this acoustic version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I haven't really listened to much Cranberry's music recently. I spent an hour yesterday going through their playlist on Spotify. Dreams and Linger just absolutely screams 90s Ireland to me. Two great songs and so much nostalgia. And of course Zombie is a powerful classic.

Her voice was incredible and so versatile. Going from a gentle lilt to a strong wail is really amazing to hear.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Jesus that's so sad for anyone to do that to themselves,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The first video for 'Dreams', I think they shot the second video for an international market.

This was the video I was talking about. Dolores was so beautiful, a young me couldn't comprehend her beauty. Saw it on either the Beatbox, or Dave Fanning.

Lets not forget her kids. A 20, 16 and 12 year old have lost their Mam. Imagine, telling your friends that your mother is Dolores O' Riordan. The person that was the lead singer of the band that brought Ode to my family, Dreams, Salvation and of course Zombie to the world. Condolences to Don Burton too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

When you're gone is their best song imo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I understand that people don't want it to be a whitewash of the issues she may have had, but surely there is a time and a place.

She was a mother to three children which should be the main concern. They have lost their mother. I have to say I wouldn't have been that big of a fan of cranberries. Did I know who they were ? Yes Did I know the well known songs ? Yes but I didn't but any of their albums but I appreciated her as a singer as she had an amazing voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts

I love Zombie. Everything about it is amazing. The lyrics, the music, the video and of course Dolores's voice. I'd listen to it for ages and still wouldn't get bored of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Two of her absolute best. Thanks for the memories Dolores xx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Was very sad to hear. Eminem just recently sampled Zombie on one of the songs on his new album too

Etnies wrote: »
    Was very sad to hear. Eminem just recently sampled Zombie on one of the songs on his new album too

Yeah, it was featured in Pitch Perfect 3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

A real shame this, terrific voice, terrific band.

Grew up with my sister blaring The Cranberries in the next room, probably my earliest musical memory kind of, could say they really defined Irish music on radio in the 90s in Ireland. Not many Irish artists that really stand out like that anymore. Everything sounds like Coldplay these days, with the exception of Hozier, quite like him.

Had not seen much of her in recent years except for the spell on the Voice of Ireland, didn't think she belonged on it though, I never liked these gimicky talent programmes of people always covering other peoples songs, those silly talent shows are for washed up artists turned judges and Delores was nowhere near washed up, bags of talent, she'd be the type that always has more music in her. I do remember thinking they needed that break years ago, a lot was demanded out of the band years ago, lots or touring and recording. They must have been wrecked from it all. Was good to hear they re-united and they'd be returning to form. Won't come to be now. It's really sad.

Condolences to her family and friends and bandmates.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    A real shame this, terrific voice, terrific band.

Grew up with my sister blaring The Cranberries in the next room, probably my earliest musical memory kind of, could say they really defined Irish music on radio in the 90s in Ireland. Not many Irish artists that really stand out like that anymore. Everything sounds like Coldplay these days, with the exception of Hozier, quite like him.

Had not seen much of her in recent years except for the spell on the Voice of Ireland, didn't think she belonged on it though, I never liked these gimicky talent programmes of people always covering other peoples songs, those silly talent shows are for washed up artists turned judges and Delores was nowhere near washed up, bags of talent, she'd be the type that always has more music in her. I do remember thinking they needed that break years ago, a lot was demanded out of the band years ago, lots or touring and recording. They must have been wrecked from it all. Was good ton hear they re-united and they'd be returning to form. Won't come to be now. It's really sad.

Condolences to her family and friends and bandmates.

I think she came to that show with a similar approach to the UK version. That show has actual, still popular musicians as judges. RTE, on the other hand, had discount 'I used to be famous' people...and Brian Kennedy.

It wasn't a low point in my eyes, I mean it wasn't Tara Blaise getting nobody to turn around in the Voice of Ireland, or a former singer in OTT getting a conviction for groping as well as being broke, and having to go on the Voice of Ireland.
    Or Bryan Kennedy going mental on Come Dine with me Ireland.

It was great to see how impactful her music was-My So Called Life used the Cranberries prominently. And Dolores had a cameo in Click...a terrible film, but she looks great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I was in Limerick on Tuesday waiting on someone so went to City Hall to sign the book of condolences. I didn't expect it to be so emotional.( I also didn't expect to be one of the first, place was full of TV cameras and photographers). I had lots I wanted to write but barely got to scratch my name with a very shakey hand as I felt so overwhelmed.

I was 50 last week so loved listening to The Cranberries really loud in the kitchen jumping around with my kids. I saw Dolores and Sinead O Connor as amazing role models for young Irish women. For my 30th birthday my kids gave me a signed photo of The Cranberries and they bought me all their CDs. We all where on holidays together this summer and had The Cranberries blaring each night while playing board games. Its amazing that you only really appreciate how great they where when you play all the songs together and realise you know all of them word for word.

I also didn't appreciate how big they were world wide...my daughter texted me the news of her death at the same time the hotel I stayed in last week (in France for my birthday) posted it on Instagram. I was wondering how the heck they knew about her...apparently she stayed with them a lot.

She will be missed and I am very sorry I never got to see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A friend of mine captured a short video of buskers at an underground station in Kuala Lumpur yesterday playing Zombie. Yesterday's newspaper here had a full page on her death and how important the Cranberries were. Truly a global success.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Not a fan but hats off!

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

dball wrote: »

The last photo was taken in London in May last year. It was during what turned out to be the last every Cranberries gig

I was lucky enough to have been at the gig

Some brilliant photos

• Advertisement

Funeral arrangements announced.

DOLORES O'RIORDAN

Late of Ballybricken, Bohermore and Canada.
    Daughter of the late Terry.
    Former member of the Cranberries.
    Very deeply regretted by her loving mother Eileen, children Taylor, Molly and Dakota and their father,
    Sister Angela, brothers Terence, Brendan, Donal, Joseph and P.J., brother-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, other relatives and a large circle of friends.
    May She Rest In Peace
    Public reposal on Sunday (January 21st) at St. Joseph's Church, O'Connell Avenue, Limerick, from 12.30pm to 4.00pm. Reposing at Cross' Funeral Home, Ballyneety, Monday (January 22nd) from 4pm followed by removal at 8pm to St. Ailbes' Church, Ballybricken. Requiem Mass, Tuesday (January 23rd) at 11.30am followed by private family Burial

Advertisement