Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

The Nal wrote: »
    She spoke about her struggles, in public, at length. It was a big part of her life and it came through in her music.

She had no issue talking about it when she was alive.

It was part of who she was. For fúcks sake.

Perhaps but does the media like The Mirror have to hint so strongly at suicide before a post mortem?. Jumping the gun.
    Typical rag tabloid media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Perhaps but does the media like The Mirror have to hint so strongly at suicide before a post mortem?. Jumping the gun.
    Typical rag tabloid media.

True, but she admitted to a suicide attempt a few years ago. We're all thinking it, lets face it.

Just on a broader level, I'm sick of this snowflake approach to just insisting everything is nice even if the truth is clearly otherwise.

People on social media who I know only knew Linger and Zombie apparently completely inconsolable at the moment. What a bunch of attention seeking cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

People on social media who I know only knew Linger and Zombie apparently completely inconsolable at the moment. What a bunch of attention seeking cúnts.

The rush to gush is a sickening trait of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

True, but she admitted to a suicide attempt a few years ago. We're all thinking it, lets face it.

Just on a broader level, I'm sick of this snowflake approach to just insisting everything is nice even if the truth is clearly otherwise.

The irony is strong with The Nal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Hoboo wrote: »
    The rush to gush is a sickening trait of society.

The rush to moan about the gush is equally sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched Empire Records again the other night, two great tracks on it by the band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Reporting of Suicide if a very sensitive area as it can see a spike in suicides.

The Samaritans have guidelines on it.

I find this site v poor regarding careless talk v suicide

I don’t get people’s obsession with how she died. She died. That’s enough. There’s no need for the great unwashed to know why imho.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    The rush to moan about the gush is equally sickening.

And the rush to moan about the moan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

And the rush to moan about the moan?

It’s the modern world. We are a nation of moaners criers and complainers. I think lots of people feel naturally sad when they hear of the death of a young mother particularly in these kind of public tragic circumstances.
    As young people are wont to do, there are loads that just want to be seen to conform with reaction to the “trending” news event “ Wow! So sad! RIP”
    In rock music history not many small town girls got to front a band singing in a local accent playing guitar and selling 7 million records of one album in the US.
    I wasnt a fan of The Cranberries or her particular style of singing, like anyone else I find “Linger” pleasant but Zombie is a channel changer for me when I hear it on the radio.
    But of course I appreciate that many others enjoyed it greatly and feel sad today as I have done so many times recently when beloved music greats of mine have died.
    Joe Duffy of course is going completely ott I fear as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Reporting of Suicide if a very sensitive area as it can see a spike in suicides.

I don’t get people’s obsession with how she died. She died. That’s enough. There’s no need for the great unwashed to know why imho.

Aye, it's of no significance to me and it shouldn't be to many others how it happened

• Advertisement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/our-public-grieving-over-dead-celebrities-has-reached-insufferab/

Great article, regardless of the paper. Will probably hit a few nerves but its spot on.

Great unwashed of which you are part of. You will comment on it regardless. The irony.

Also media did not waste a breath reporting on Chris Cornell's or Chester Bennington's suicides. RIP to both. Great voices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/our-public-grieving-over-dead-celebrities-has-reached-insufferab/

Great article, regardless of the paper. Will probably hit a few nerves but its spot on.

I went in to that article expecting to defend these people but it hits the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Wasn't a huge fan but always thought this was a great tune, and its stuck on repeat in my head all day. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The irony is strong with The Nal.

Id think that will sail over his head

Great unwashed of which you are part of. You will comment on it regardless. The irony.

Also media did not waste a breath reporting on Chris Cornell's or Chester Bennington's suicides. RIP to both. Great voices.

I know I am. I don’t need to know how she died. It’s immaterial- she’s dead.

Those close to her and medical professionals will- that’s it

Those close to her and medical professionals will- that’s it

OK, but why announce it with certain celebs and not others?. Seems bizarre.

OK, but why announce it with certain celebs and not others?. Seems bizarre.

A paper never refused ink- and social media is worse!

21Savage wrote: »
    I went in to that article expecting to defend these people but it hits the nail on the head.

He glossed over the Princess Di grief fest - funny that...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Never liked the music but fair play to them for being so huge around the world. I didn't realize she was so young, thought she was older. Makes it even sadder.

I didn't realize she was so young either. She doesn't look old but it feels like she's been around for so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hope she is happy and at peace now. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

There was so much about her later life that I did not know about, have now read about today.

I only knew her as a shy girl starting out in the business.. all her troubles which she bravely talked about. If only she knew how much she was loved by music lovers all over the world, it would've helped her get through the darker days.. the amount of people who speak so well of her is amazing.

It is still very sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I disagree. By glossing over or covering up deaths due to suicide or drug use, a huge disservice is done to the people who succumb to same, and their family and friends.

When someone who seemingly has it all - money, fame, a family, physically healthy, is still so unhappy they feel the need to end it all or use drugs, that should be a clue that we need to stop sweeping these things under the rug and find more effective measures to help people with depression and addiction, not to mention the fact it is one of the highest causes of death for young men and women.

Now, I'm probably biased because I have had five friends in the last 2 years die from either suicide or drugs, and I suffer from depression myself, and I understand that sometimes the family will want it kept private, and there is a fear of 'suicide clusters', but I think underreporting it will lead to more suicides in the long run. If people out there are considering suicide, maybe witnessing the pain that suicides cause to the people left behind will make them reconsider.

A former classmate of mine recently died from an overdose and the mother spoke about mental health support at the funeral and it had a very powerful effect. Because mental health supports in this country are IME, crap. My 21 year old neighbor directly across the street threw himself into the river in the center of town ten years back, and the next door neighbor, an elderly woman, did the same in 2016. It's too widespread to not be up front about it any more IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

She was a relatively young woman of 46 and an international rock star, people are curious. "She's dead and that's it" doesn't make sense and human instinct is to want to know why, what happened? I don't think there's anything perverse or weird or violating in that.

I disagree. By glossing over or covering up deaths due to suicide or drug use, a huge disservice is done to the people who succumb to same, and their family and friends.

When someone who seemingly has it all - money, fame, a family, physically healthy, is still so unhappy they feel the need to end it all or use drugs, that should be a clue that we need to stop sweeping these things under the rug and find more effective measures to help people with depression and addiction, not to mention the fact it is one of the highest causes of death for young men and women.

Now, I'm probably biased because I have had five friends in the last 2 years die from either suicide or drugs, and I suffer from depression myself, and I understand that sometimes the family will want it kept private, and there is a fear of 'suicide clusters', but I think underreporting it will lead to more suicides in the long run. If people out there are considering suicide, maybe witnessing the pain that suicides cause to the people left behind will make them reconsider.

A former classmate of mine recently died from an overdose and the mother spoke about mental health support at the funeral and it had a very powerful effect. Because mental health supports in this country are IME, crap. My 21 year old neighbor directly across the street threw himself into the river in the center of town ten years back, and the next door neighbor, an elderly woman, did the same in 2016. It's too widespread to not be up front about it any more IMO

I’d take the expert advice of professionals in the Samaritans over your ‘Strongly held belief’ tbf

The Facebook Lionising of dead friends leads to a rise in suicide as those at risk think they’d be appreciatited more dead.

I have suffered with Anxiety and Depression for over 25 years. My uncle died by suicide, I know locals that died. So I’m not being cold about it either

Bambi985 wrote: »
    She was a relatively young woman of 46 and an international rock star, people are curious. "She's dead and that's it" doesn't make sense and human instinct is to want to know why, what happened? I don't think there's anything perverse or weird or violating in that.

Why? Curiosity killed the cat

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭supernova5

I can cast my mind back to February 1993 when living in Oakland California and this most alternative of alternative rock stations based in San Francisco were playing "Linger" and DJ's referring to "this quaint little Irish band called The Cranberries.
    being Irish, pride was bursting through my veins to hear this hauntingly beautiful and superbly crafted tune being played on what was such an out there cutting edge radio channel
    back in those days google and the internet were essentially non existent and I'm trying my utmost to find out more about this band
    I immediately went searching music shops and eventually found one who just got in a batch of "Everybody Else is doing it, so why can't we"

what a lot of people don't realise is how big this band became practically overnight in many parts of the world

trying to hold back the tears here now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

It's not immaterial though. Naturally when someone of young age dies of unexplained circumstances you want those circumstances damn well explained, because that could easily be you. A lad I knew died, same age as me (23 at the time). I wanted to know how someone so young could just die while I appear to be healthy. Would you still say my desire to know the circumstances of his death were immaterial?

He died of a stroke btw.

It's not immaterial though. Naturally when someone of young age dies of unexplained circumstances you want those circumstances damn well explained, because that could easily be you. A lad I knew died, same age as me (23 at the time). I wanted to know how someone so young could just die while I appear to be healthy. Would you still say my desire to know the circumstances of his death were immaterial?

He died of a stroke btw.

He was known to you so that would be understandable.

Why do random people need to know how Dolores died?

I already said who do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Why? Curiosity killed the cat

Because most women of 46 don't just drop dead and Dolores was a public figure so we have perhaps an even greater need to know why.

Advertisement