Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You'll still hear them with somewhat reasonable regularity on radio, in supermarkets and in pubs in New York and Toronto.

Zombie and Linger are two of those songs that I don't think I've ever met a single person in the whole world had not heard.

Regularly hear several of their songs on the radio and in shops etc here in vegas. Pretty much every other day. I never really realised just how popular they are internationally.

RIP. A very nice person by all accounts. I'll always remember the story about her where she bought lunch for an entire restaurant and gave everyone there, customers and employees, tickets and backstage passes for that nights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Shame. Used work for her on and off, great woman to pay and very generous to boot.
    46. You just never know.

RIP Dolores you were a talented artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’m in shock - one of my favorite singers. In Your Head is one the greatest songs ever imo.

RIP Dolores ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Zombies is nothing short of iconic, Dreams is a lovely tune. A loss, may she Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I rate Dreams as the most perfect pop song I’ve ever heard. That voice just sweeps through me like a beautiful zephyr every time. At their best the Cranberries were a very slick outfit.

Shocked to hear the news, going to be a Cranberries setlist all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately she was a troubled soul.May she now rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

After just learning about it in the last 20 minutes; I'm really stunned by this news. I was not a big fan of her music but 46 is far too young to die at this age.

I just heard from the BBC that she died suddenly without further details being explained for now. God almighty; that is unbearable news for her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

Ode to my family, fantastic song, amazing voice rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Ah god what an incredible loss :(

She was a troubled, beautiful soul and her voice was magic, the musicality in it. So many 90s memories. This one always gaved me chills

You know I'm such a fool for ya... RIP Dolores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Zombie is on the Pitch Perfect 3 soundtrack - I was explaining to my kids yesterday who the Cranberries were. Shocking news, RIP Dolores.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Everybody else is doing is, so why can't we? was the soundtrack of my youth. My sister was five years older than me and she used to lock herself in her room and listen to that album over and over and I, not being cool enough to be let in, used to sit in the frame of the door with my ear pressed against it listening to the music.
    An absolute gem of an album that had spirit, soul, a heart and lungs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Shocked and saddened to hear of this news. I only heard it when I got back from work and turned on the 6 O’Clock news on TV. 46 is far too young to go - my mam was also only 46 when she died suddenly. :(

RIP Dolores - you may be gone in person but your music will live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

RIP Dolores . She had a beautiful stunning voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Stunning voice and a legendary Irish singer. Way, way too young to go!

RIP and condolences to family, friends and bandmates.

She'll always be an Irish legend and one of the absolute classic voices that I think we'll be hearing for decades, if not centuries to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Cant believe it.

Was a massive fan of the band in the mid 90s (college years) she had an absolutely fantastic voice.

46 is no age at all to die.

Rip Dolores. Sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ are reporting now that she died suddenly after being in a recording session in London. :(

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0115/933523-dolores-oriordan-dies-suddenly-in-london/

PTH2009 wrote: »
    RIP

very underrated singer from a very underrated band

one of Ireland's best artistic exports

I think her illness at the height of their fame prevented further inroads on the International stage- so much to give and such talent. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

RIP Dolores , so young , so talented , sad news to hear .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Had my first shift at the bish disco in Galway in the late 90s to this song:

His name was Shane from Portumna :pac:

So so many 90s moments flooding back to me, some of their bigger songs are real, visceral childhood memories for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

spurshero wrote: »
    Does it matter. Rip

It does mather a lot of us would like to know what happened MR PC

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think her illness at the height of their fame prevented further inroads on the International stage- so much to give and such talent. RIP

what illness did she get

I was only a child in 90s so would not of been aware of them during there hay day.

Linger was a classic reeling in the years song

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

On the news there about how absolutely devistating it is. It's unexpected and sad for her family, but i think it's hyperbole to describe it as "devistating for Limerick"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Was only talking to her last week...met her through work. Gentle and polite.

Regret I didn't tell her how much I liked her work now, I got completely tongue tied when I realised who she was.

Awful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So very sad to hear. Great band and she had a great vice and great songs. So sad

R.I.P. Dolores. Gone too soon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus that's a shock. Really saddened by this. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

doylefe wrote: »
    On the news there about how absolutely devistating it is. It's unexpected and sad for her family, but i think it's hyperbole to describe it as "devistating for Limerick"

For all of us students back in Limerick then, the Cranberries, the Mirrors etc. were the local bands we all went to see whenever they played.. the Cranberries were a big part of the place, we all drank in all the same pubs and she and the lads were very much a part of the town. So for those of us who were there and remember the Limerick music scene.. yes, Limerick will be devastated.. I can't get Limerick and those times out of my head now.

I don't think of Dolores as troubled or ill, but of a young girl full of life, a sparkle in her eye and that beautiful, unique, wonderful voice of hers.. and those three lads, so quiet and reserved, they all worked so hard.. music was their passion and they made it.

What a loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

doylefe wrote: »

I know an awful lot of people in Limerick who ARE devestated at this news.
    Why wouldn't they be? She was an idol to a whole generation from there and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

eezipc wrote: »
    I don't think people realise how famous the Cranberries were. My wife is Russian and The Cranberries was the only Irish band she knew. She was vaguely familiar of U2, but in the 90's the Cranberries were massive all over the world.

I used to live in an isolated fishing village on a Mediterranean island, with mainly the local fishermen for friends. Even though they only spoke their own dialect, we managed to communicate and many's an evening they spent playing Zombie over and over again on the pub jukebox for me, their little 'lost' Irish girl :(
    RIP Dolores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Queen of Limerick R.I.P.

Advertisement