Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gutted about this, one of the top female voices ever

The government should do something good now, send the countries private jet out to bring her home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Good auld Cranberries tunes on 2FM. I turned Zombie up full blast. Wanted to share with my English neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wow, so young. RIP.

Really disliked her singing voice myself. It hurt my soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Wow, so young. RIP.

Really disliked her singing voice myself. It hurt my soul.

Your post adds nothing of value so why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I liked her voice when she kept it quiet like in the song Linger, but I hated it when the yodelling started, like on the song Zombie. Overall, I'm sorry to hear she died. Too young. And she has kids too. God rest her.

• Advertisement

Your post adds nothing of value so why bother.

The expressing shock and saying RIP added nothing? Nothing different to what many have posted. I don’t have to like her voice and anyone in the public eye would have known that they wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste. And her voice certainly wasn’t. Don’t be so defensive on behalf of somebody else.

Britney?
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Pop music I know. But a huge star. Mega huge. Lucky to survive a very public meltdown spread out over 12months or so.

True but she did survive, and seems to be doing rather well these days. So mentioning her alongside Dolores and Karen Carpenter reads a bit strange because the RIP at the end implies that she (Britney) also died. Amy Winehouse may have been a more "fitting" example to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The band of my youth and what a unique voice she had. Zombie was always my go to song getting ready for the disco. May she rest in peace xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dang, that's awful. Zombie is definitely my personal favorite, could listen to it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Just a few years younger than her, its no age at all to be dead. Loved her voice and their music, grew up with it in the 90's. Had their albums on tape and when the time came to upgrade to CD's for some reason I could never find them all in the shops here. I came across the CD versions eventually on a skiing holiday in Andorra years ago and bought them all in one go. The inlay is in Spanish but I didn't mind that.

The second biggest band after U2 to ever come out of this island. They were massive back in the day.

The irony of people calling her "The Queen of Limerick" tonight when just a few months ago other people were using the same title to mock her troubled mind.

RIP and thoughts to her children and family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The expressing shock and saying RIP added nothing? Nothing different to what many have posted. I don’t have to like her voice and anyone in the public eye would have known that they wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste. And her voice certainly wasn’t. Don’t be so defensive on behalf of somebody else.

Of course you don't. But the poor woman is only dead a few hours and this is a thread in which to sympathize and remember her.

It's not the time or place for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is very sad news. The Cranberries were the soundtrack of the 90s for a lot of people and some of their songs were still on my regular playlist.

My thoughts are with her family and whatever about her recent difficulties, she has left a legacy that they should be very proud of

Of course you don't. But the poor woman is only dead a few hours and this is a thread in which to sympathize and remember her.

It was pretty mild and nothing she wouldn’t have been steeled against in life. I acknowledged the sadness of a prominent Irish figure’s youngish death while acknowledging that I wasn’t a fan. There was much worse things I could have said. A lot of posts on this thread don’t really add much. Should they?

Though the odd time I've mentioned not liking her voice or the band’s music in real life, the OTT reactions I’d get. Jaysus. :eek: Comments about my lack of taste etc. Some people be mighty defensive when it comes to that band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I wouldn't call that criticism. If anything it was utter respect as that poster acknowledged her passing even though she wasn't a fan.
    It's ok to not like something these days isn't it?
    Or is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

This one is especially hard to take, The Cranberries were my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,898 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great voice,
    Great songs
    and always always interesting to listen to.
    RIP Dolores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

So sad. Her music was amazing. ' linger' it still gives me shivers down my spine. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I, too, am taken aback by the sudden death of Dolores O'Riordan.

Dolores had a unique and haunting voice. The Cranberries were a very talented band. It was no mean achievement for them to break America. I did not realise how popular their music was in so many far-flung corners of the world.

I have their first two CDs in my possession. In the case of Everything... (the first album), Linger and Dreams are the standout tracks. But it is the second one - No Need to Argue - that I really like. The beauty and brilliance of Ode to The Family, I Can't Be With You, Twenty One and The Icicle Melts, with the striking voice of Dolores. I feel that the lyrics were very much heartfelt, as indeed were the lyrics of Zombie, although musically I just find it okay. Sorry!

I suppose I was not a through-and-through fan but, at the same time, I had a lot of admiration for The Cranberries. I admired the lyrics and honesty and openness of Dolores O'Riordan and how she performed her songs, whenever I saw or heard her. She was, undoubtedly, a genuine role model for young women and a musical icon.

It is so sad to lose her at such a young age when she could have given so much more again. RIP Dolores O'Riordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

oh this is just too sad. The Cranberries bring back memories of such a particular time in my life. RIP Dolores.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Shocking news. I hope 2018 doesn’t turn into another 2016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've had a sh*t 24 hours.. My daughter found her beloved hamster Ollie dead last night, it tore her poor heart apart (and a little of mine too). I buried Ollie this morning, then this news that Dolores was dead.

So we (my daughter and I) went to Judo training tonight, I'd a fantastic night coaching and preparing (same thing really) a student for a fight in a few weeks.

Then home and a few bottles of Tyskie, might follow them with a naggin of vodka ~ listening to The Cranberries, and dreading tomorrow when one of my dogs goes into surgery to remove her third Mass Cell Tumor.

'Ups and downs, smiles and frowns' :):(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

She was one of a kind. Loved the fact she sang in her own irish accent and became world famous doing so. No changing her accent to an american one like so many irish bands do now. Loved her on the Irish Voice in recent times (I only watched it for her) seeing her impart her knowledge of the industry to young aspiring singers. She was brilliant on it. Tragic that whether by accident or design she has checked out already. I loved teh story of how her & her husband got together on the Duran Duran tour as well (heard her talking about it in an interview before) how he would send her flowers every night of the tour til he won her heart. A bright light that burned out too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

People just loved here.

That sort of little sister / friend, that insecurity, ballsy too.

The lyrics were simple and chords simple too - but just everything worked - amazing voice.

I absolutely love end of dreams from here.

And now I tell you openly
    You have my heart so don't hurt me
    You're what I couldn't find
    A totally amazing mind
    So understanding and so kind
    You're everything to me

Oh my life is changing everyday
    In every possible way
    And oh my dreams
    It's never quite as it seems
    'Cause you're a dream to me
    Dream to me

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

RIP, serious talent, condolences to her family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Didn't like their music at all, but RIP, the media love inserting 'troubled' or 'tragic' in front of the names of certain celebrities but the real mystery are the ones who have a cakewalk life, she deserved better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

dd972 wrote: »
    Didn't like their music at all, but RIP, the media love inserting 'troubled' or 'tragic' in front of the names of certain celebrities but the real mystery are the ones who have a cakewalk life, she deserved better than this.

Exactly.she was just a shy person who had her ups and downs like everyone else. People like her make me very proud to be Irish,she was cool,intelligent,humble and brave. RIP to a great woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RIP Dolores. Super voice. Too young.

https://youtu.be/QJ7vgnWARNA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

RIP Dolores. I think Linger is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard sung

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Is Ode to my family played that often now on the radio ect. Feel like I haven't heard that song in years since tonight. Great song btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Did she show her @rse in a see-through wedding dress?

That's the memory that lingers in my head anyway.
    First thing I thought of.

A talented individual, a bit on the quirky side to say the least.

And out of respect I will not make any Zombie joke.

RIP etc etc

Also I was wondering about these type of threads in general it normally just ends up with a line of RIP's after each other.

Is that respectful? I am not so sure.
    It is one of the odd quirks of the internet.
    Does it really matter what strangers say about a dead celebrities death?
    I am not so sure either.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement