Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Anyone know why RTÉ were reading out an apology on the radio tonight? Just heard the end of it but didn’t quite make out the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone know why RTÉ were reading out an apology on the radio tonight? Just heard the end of it but didn’t quite make out the details.

For giving Tubridy the late late

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

screamer wrote: »
    Does it matter really anymore....no
    A tragic end. She achieved much, was beloved by her fans, an icon, a mother, an extraordinary example of overcoming an awful start in life, and she dies in such a tragic way. I feel even more sorry for her mum and her kids knowing what happened to her but at least it's been ruled accidental so hopefully they'll take some teeny shred of solace from that. Rip Dolores.

I suppose that's the silver lining, really. That it was not deliberate. If someone takes their own life, it leaves people with questions.
    Many questions.

Like Burt Reynolds died today as well, and I'm saddened by that news too. Seems sad to see those two lives fall side by side today, despite their deaths being months apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

seamus wrote: »
    Probably silly to try and speculate on her intent though tbh.

Hammered drunk and on prescription medication, a bath in your pyjamas might sound like a good idea.

Seriously.

Her death has been ruled accidental and I accept that verdict however her actions were sadly reckless in the extreme

In other words not giving a **** and getting intoxicated to the point of oblivion along with having taken certain medications in a bath

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

McCrack wrote: »
    Her death has been ruled accidental and I accept that verdict however her actions were sadly reckless in the extreme

In other words not giving a **** and getting intoxicated to the point of oblivion along with having taken certain medications in a bath
    Sadly that's a reality with a lot of people who.havr mental health problems.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Sadly that's a reality with a lot of people who.havr mental health problems.

Yep-you need a support network. You really do. When you go reckless on alcohol or other narcotics, then it shows a something is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Yep-you need a support network. You really do. When you go reckless on alcohol or other narcotics, then it shows a something is up.

with respect, (and I'm talking very generally here and not at all about Dolores)...there are plenty people that have really good support networks but they still succumb to addiction, or mental health issues, self harm or suicide.
    I'm only making that point because even with all the professional, personal, family or spiritual help in the world things and people still go sadly wrong....
    It's important that we acknowledge that for the people left behind, who in reality may have done all that could be done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hard to work what happened in the time she tried calling her mam at 3am until she was found at 9.15.

Very sad ending

with respect, (and I'm talking very generally here and not at all about Dolores)...there are plenty people that have really good support networks but they still succumb to addiction, or mental health issues, self harm or suicide.
    I'm only making that point because even with all the professional, personal, family or spiritual help in the world things and people still go sadly wrong....
    It's important that we acknowledge that for the people left behind, who in reality may have done all that could be done...

Oh I've no doubt about that, just from my own personal experiences, and from family, and neighbours etc etc. It's easy to fall off the wagon, for sure, or fall into other problems. And that's just the regular joe on the street.

Now add fame, wealth, media scrutiny, marriage troubles, children, public and private life, as well as mental illness and suddenly it's much more difficult to maintain your wellbeing. It's easy to fall into substance use, be it drugs or alcohol.
    Hence my comments about the support network. She was on her own, in a hotel room, probably hadn't left her room in days. (Again, not uncommmon with depression).
    The hotel mini bar was as good as a fountain of alcohol. And when you're in that dark place, any substance is pretty much gonna numb you to existence.

The family did all they could, for sure, and I don't believe Dolores wanted to end her life. This genuinely seems like an accident. Just one of those lonely moments that can end tragically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think it is nonsense that the coroner put her death purely down to alcohol. Said she was '4 times over the drink driving limit'. So what, that's only a few pints.

It was the pills that got her unfortunately.

Nobody falls asleep in the bathtub fully clothed and drowns after some vodka. It was prescription pills that sent her under. Hate that anyone 'offical' won't acknowledge that.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think some people are seriously misunderstanding the level of alcohol which was involved, and are completely misinterpreting the '4 times over the legal drink drive limit'.

First of all, her BAC was .330g, which is 4 times the UK drink drive limit, but it's actually the best part of x7 over the Irish limit.

Secondly, some people are doing the math and equating this to how much they themselves might drink on a night out, and coming to the conclusion that it's not actually enough to put someone unconscious.

That's completely incorrect.

One could take the alcohol which was consumed (I think it was reported that it was the minibar contents and a 350ml bottle of Champagne) and consume it over the course of a full evening, and yes, in that case it may not tally with someone losing consciousness. But if one took the same quantity but consumed it in a much shorter period of time, then the outcome will be completely different.

BAC of .330g is extremely high, take a look at where it is on the scale ...

.020 - Light to moderate drinkers begin to feel some effects
    .040 - Most people begin to feel relaxed
    .060 - Judgment is somewhat impaired
    .080 - Definite impairment of muscle coordination and driving skills. This is the legal intoxication level in most states.
    .100 - Clear deterioration of reaction time and control. This is legally drunk in all states.
    .120 - Vomiting usually occurs
    .150 - Balance and movement are impaired. Here the equivalent of a 1/2 pint of whiskey is circulating in the blood stream.
    .200 - Most people begin to experience blackouts
    .300 - Many people lose consciousness
    .400 - Most people lose consciousness and some die
    .450 - Breathing stops. This is a fatal dose for most people.

Think it is nonsense that the coroner put her death purely down to alcohol. Said she was '4 times over the drink driving limit'. So what, that's only a few pints.

Nobody falls asleep in the bathtub fully clothed and drowns after some vodka. It was prescription pills that sent her under. Hate that anyone 'offical' won't acknowledge that.

The drugs in her system were in line with what was prescribed for her. Combined with high alcohol intake and we know the result. Rest In Peace, talented lady.

The drugs in her system were in line with what was prescribed for her. Combined with high alcohol intake and we know the result. Rest In Peace, talented lady.

Exactly. Have you ever suffered the effects of taking too much alcohol and even an over the counter cold medicine? I have, and yikes, was it a mess. (I shoulda learned from a friend-she took an aspirin or something one night for a headache. Had 2 drinks, and was sick as a dog. And yes, it was just an aspirin. Nobody spiked her drink. Her friends looked after her the whole night.)

Prescription medication and alcohol, especially antidepressants, can be disastrous when mixed together. You could be comatose after one or two drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good news, State Pathologist Marie Cassidy is retiring. You're a certainty for the job with that kind of insight.

is this a way of sliding a personal antipathy to psychiatric medications into the thread?

As far as I know, nobody knows what dosage of drug she was on, and you're absolutely right that the medication may have been relevant, it's probably more the case that there was an alcohol-drug interaction which contributed to this catastrophe, isn't it? you can't just declare "it was the medicine!" with zero proof at all, contrary to the pathologist's findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

9*
    is this a way of sliding a personal antipathy to psychiatric medications into the thread?

As far as I know, nobody knows what dosage of drug she was on, and you're absolutely right that the medication may have been relevant, it's probably more the case that there was an alcohol-drug interaction which contributed to this catastrophe, isn't it? you can't just declare "it was the medicine!" with zero proof at all, contrary to the pathologist's findings.

I just think putting the blame purely on alcohol is a cop out.

It said that the amount of prescription drugs in her system was a 'therapeutic dose'. That could be a big cocktail of medication that makes someone so out of it they have a bath fully clothed and fall asleep.

The blame is a combination of drugs and alcohol. Not just alcohol. That's my opinion.

Advertisement