Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O'Riordan RIP (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

eezipc wrote: »
    I don't think people realise how famous the Cranberries were. My wife is Russian and The Cranberries was the only Irish band she knew. She was vaguely familiar of U2, but in the 90's the Cranberries were massive all over the world.

Have to echo that,I was in Cuba last year and heard them everyday.they love the Cranberries over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Yep, they are massive in Thailand, played in every bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Oh, this one hit me in the gut when i got the breaking alert. She was a brilliant front woman of a band who were huge internationally. She leaves behind a wonderful legacy.

So sad for her children and family, 46 is no age. RIP Dolores.

Think I'll stick on their concert in Paris to remember her. They were at their peak here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I only got to see her perform once, it was the launch of the City of Culture in 2014...she only played for about 20 mins...

What was evident was her incredible voice, she played Zombie first and blew me away!

What I will remember from that night, in the wind and cold of Merchants Quay, was when she was introducing "Linger"...she mentioned that she wrote it when she was in school in Laurel Hill...she wrote it as a schoolgirl about her first broken heart, in a very typical unassuming manner she just said "It (as in the song) went across the sea and beyond, but it is back home tonight!"....it was of course a massive hit that launched The Cranberries, that song has been performed in stadiums across the world...it occurred to me that night what kind of a journey that woman and indeed the band have had...global stadium tours, 40 million album sales etc...the whole band were always very unassuming down to earth bunch....

She was always a very proud Limerick woman, and she was always warmly received by the people of Limerick...may she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I was driving home and nearly had to stop the car I was so shocked when I heard the news. I loved The Cranberries. They have songs that I'd regard as some of the best of all time. Really sad news she was so so young. Thoughts with her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

What I will remember from that night, in the wind and cold of Merchants Quay, was when she was introducing "Linger"...she mentioned that she wrote it when she was in school in Laurel Hill...she wrote it as a schoolgirl about her first broken heart, in a very typical unassuming manner she just said "It (as in the song) went across the sea and beyond, but it is back home tonight!"....it was of course a massive hit that launched The Cranberries, that song has been performed in stadiums across the world...it occurred to me that night what kind of a journey that woman and indeed the band have had...global stadium tours, 40 million album sales etc...the whole band were always very unassuming down to earth bunch....

She was always a very proud Limerick woman, and she was always warmly received by the people of Limerick...may she rest in peace.

What was evident was her incredible voice, she played Zombie first and blew me away!

I only got to see her perform once, it was the launch of the City of Culture in 2014...she only played for about 20 mins...

What a lovely post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mod-Redacted and banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Me and my best friend in secondary school bonded by swapping their albums with each other and talking about which songs were our favourites. I had all the albums on tape and loved them so much that I bought them again on cd. Great memories.

Sad when someone so young passes away. RIP Dolores. Her poor kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Dolores passing is very sad, a huge talent. I had the pleasure of seeing them when they started in small gigs and then big gigs. Brilliant performer and singer. My sincere condolences to her family - RIP Dolores.

Remember Noel going to Hogans Car sales on the Dublin Road in Limerick to check out some cars. The owner of the place fobbed him off. The secretary mentioned to him afterwards who he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was never a fan of the Cranberries, although they did have a few classic songs.

Very very sad news, younger than myself and the thing I find most sad is that she's leaving 3 kids behind.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Poor troubled soul.
    The rock music industry is like a voracious monster. It wants to devour you and spit you back out again.
    Anyone a little bit fragile seems to be decimated sooner or later.
    I just happen to know that until recently she was leading a very lonely existence with little or no contact with her nearest and dearest.
    If you make some bad mistakes in the celebrity world it doesn’t matter how talented you are or how you were once feted, no body wants to know you when your lying in the gutter.
    Fame and fortune are heavy crowns to carry for some, Britney Spears, Karen Carpenter, Dolores O’Riordan. RIP

Awful news. To die suddenly like that at just 46 is horrible. :( Sorry I never got to see her perform live.
    Absolutely. You go to Asia and the Cranberries are played everywhere. Zombie did become a pretty iconic song of the 90s, pretty much one of defining songs of that period.

I spent a few months in China and remember thinking how strange it was to hear Zombie being belted out in a karaoke bar in Nanjing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Very young age, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Janey, only 46. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

R.I.P. Dolores. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't be a fan of her music but she was so young and has three children so music aside it's a tragic loss for the family. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Thanks Dolores for all you brilliant music ripIMAG10260_zps84thq299.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

splinter65 wrote: »
    Britney Spears, Karen Carpenter, Dolores O’Riordan. RIP

Britney?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Im stunned, yet not stunned, but still want to be stunned. Its so sad. So very sad.

I'm the same age as Dolores and only discovered The Cranberries in the early 90s like most. I was and am a big Duran Duran fan. While following the progress of the Cranberries, what a big joy it was to see them support Duran Duran on the American tour during '93. It helped them break America and they went on to outshine Duran Duran in that decade and fair play. For me personally it was great to see a successful band come out of Ireland and make it. Combining it with my fave band from my pre and early teens made it a funny little special thing for me. Dolores met her Husband Don on that tour. He was Duran Durans tour manager. Once I bought their debut album, I never strayed. Saw them live many times but my favourite show was the Summer of 2000 in Dublin Castle. Such maturity at that stage.

RIP Dolores. Here's my little link with you in a vast musical world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP. Very sorry to hear

eezipc wrote: »
    I don't think people realise how famous the Cranberries were. My wife is Russian and The Cranberries was the only Irish band she knew. She was vaguely familiar of U2, but in the 90's the Cranberries were massive all over the world.

A friend was in Texas in 1991.He went to a record store and it stated the Cranberries were British. He let them know that they weren't.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what illness did she get

I was only a child in 90s so would not of been aware of them during there hay day.

Linger was a classic reeling in the years song

A little bit of a history lesson so- see IT link below. I think simply it was just too much work being involved with a band that reached cult status with an audience just a few years younger than she was- and she had to take a break around 1996.

Fame was very much "thrust" upon her- I don't think she was ever someone who craved that type of attention. She was, primarily a musician/artist/singer, first and foremost.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/dolores-o-riordan-i-got-sick-had-a-meltdown-it-was-too-much-work-that-caused-it-1.3045158

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very sad to hear - growing up in the 90s, The Cranberries are one of those bands that molded my music tastes, still hold a special place in my heart today, and hearing Dolores O'Riordans distinct vocals will never fail to bring me back to my childhood.

Rest In Peace

The YouTube comments on any of The Cranberries videos today show how well known and loved she was and the rest of the band all over the world. Its a sad day for Limerick and of course the world of music. Makes it that bit more special for me that I got to see her live in Limerick on NYE 2013. RIP Dolores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

On Letterman, aged 23. A force of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

So sad to hear, strange I've being playing The Cranberries and Sinead O Connor non stop since Christmas.
    A bad day for Irish rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Britney?

Pop music I know. But a huge star. Mega huge. Lucky to survive a very public meltdown spread out over 12months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

This has hit me bad. Absolutely loved their music and especially her voice.
    I was lucky enough to see the cranberries live 3 times and each time was fantastic. Her voice really was one of a kind and instantly recognisable.
    I don't think most Irish people realise how big the band were worldwide. I remember hearing them in Hong Kong and Thailand and couldn't believe it. Asians, Irish and English all bouncing live Limerick natives when they came on.
    The gig in the Bord Gais last may was brilliant and thankfully I travelled u to see it, her voice with the acustic set was one to remember. Noel was giving it socks too.
    R.I.P Delores,
    The Queen of Limerick
    Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

the cranberries "saw us" played the stables in UL in late 90 / early 91...... the first time I saw them I was "annoyed" as I wanted to play"cool music" on the juke box, which obviously was not in use. 5 minutes later I was mesmorised, equal parts in awe and in love.
    I never lost my grá for her and her amazing voice......
    She was the same age as me.....bless her family and friends

Advertisement