Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Chumpski wrote: »
    So about to pull the trigger on buying a 2020 Kia E-Niro. In the specs, it mentions `High-power on board charger 11 Kw`.

This means that the car charges faster from home?

Would anybody be able to recommend a home charger for the E-Niro that takes advantage of this?

(if this is the wrong thread, please let me know and ill ask elsewhere)

Thanks.

Unfortunately you won't get faster home charging than 7 kW unless you have 3 phase supply, which is unlikely as most homes are on single phase - unless, for example, it's a relatively new build with heat pump.

The 11 kW charge rate is available generally on public AC charge points that have a max of 22 kW.

Edited to add that I got a "dumb" EO tethered charge point from Electric Ireland which cost €899 but only €299 after the €600 grant - that's including installation. By "dumb" I mean that it doesn't have app control but this isn't necessary as the car itself can be controlled remotely with the Uvo app

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I might have a phase three supply as I do live in a house with a heat pump and its fairly new. How do I check?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I might have a phase three supply as I do live in a house with a heat pump and its fairly new. How do I check?

It's highly unlikely but if you open your meter cabinet, there will be 3 fuses before the meter if you have three phase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Unless you have an industrial workshop out the back, there's almost zero chance. Three phase would have 3 live cables plus one negative from the ESB.

For me, the 11kw charging ability has been an absolute godsend on free public AC chargers. You basically get over 50% extra charge into the car per hour

No free AC chargers any more though, but the AC points are still very convenient.

• Advertisement

On Kia Irelands website they say the car is 38,700 new after grants, but its higher in all the dealers I've called so far. When pressed they say delivery charges etc.

Is this common when buying new cars? Does this sound right that the dealer charges more than the manufacturer says it is?

Possible to talk it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

On Kia Irelands website they say the car is 38,700 new after grants, but its higher in all the dealers I've called so far. When pressed they say delivery charges etc.

Is this common when buying new cars? Does this sound right that the dealer charges more than the manufacturer says it is?

Possible to talk it down?

Yes, its common. Most website prices have small print that says it "excludes delivery and related charges".

That extra is basically the dealers profit so you can, of course, negotiate that down but it will depend on the car you are buying and whether you are trading something in and whether the car is in high demand etc.

Also being quoted a few hundred extra for paint if I want anything other than the default color (what the default color is I'm not sure). Also normal?

Also being quoted a few hundred extra for paint if I want anything other than the default color (what the default color is I'm not sure). Also normal?

Yup, usually normal too but depends on manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cathal44

Hi guys. Purchased my new e-Niro just over 3 weeks ago and found this thread very informative prior to purchase. Really like the car but have one issue that maybe you can advise on.
    Received the car at the garage at 99% charge and 455km range. Charging since at home with a new Garo home charger. I leave the battery drop to about 20% and then charge to 100% overnight. However every time I charge my range at 100% has been continually dropping. First 419km, then 397km, 387km and 378km this morning. No air con or anything turned on that might reduce the range. I can only think that this is a battery issue and that I should go back to my Kia dealer. Just wondering if there might be anything that I might be missing before I do that. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Cathal44 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Purchased my new e-Niro just over 3 weeks ago and found this thread very informative prior to purchase. Really like the car but have one issue that maybe you can advise on.
    Received the car at the garage at 99% charge and 455km range. Charging since at home with a new Garo home charger. I leave the battery drop to about 20% and then charge to 100% overnight. However every time I charge my range at 100% has been continually dropping. First 419km, then 397km, 387km and 378km this morning. No air con or anything turned on that might reduce the range. I can only think that this is a battery issue and that I should go back to my Kia dealer. Just wondering if there might be anything that I might be missing before I do that. Thanks.

What would your normal drive be? Mostly motorway?

graememk wrote: »
    What would your normal drive be? Mostly motorway?

It’s mixed. I work about 5km from home and some days it can be just local driving on minor roads. Other days I drive modest distances as part of my work on primary roads but not motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The range is an estimate based on your driving since the previous charge - go by the battery percentage instead. I think the official line is that you need to charge it something like 10 times before it predicts more accurately.

tk123 wrote: »
    The range is an estimate based on your driving since the previous charge - go by the battery percentage instead. I think the official line is that you need to charge it something like 10 times before it predicts more accurately.

That makes sense. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

think its normal. my niro is relatively new too only few months old. received from garage, had 455 km of range , then gradually drops. you have to consider ambient temperature too, as that would affect range + many factors - driving style, aircon/heat, weather conditions...

Range falls too with lower temperatures

What is your usage per 100km or what is your usage of Driving Style for % of Economical, Normal or Dynamic on the instrument display

Like this - https://images.app.goo.gl/mMcoqG28VknJnRRD9

1150km on the clock.
    Average 17.9 kWh/100km
    93% economical 7% normal 0% dynamic

I totally get it now. I didn’t realise it took my individual driving into account to such an extent. Thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

17.9kWh/100km in a 64kWh battery whittles down to 357km on a full battery.

1150km on the clock.
    Average 17.9 kWh/100km
    93% economical 7% normal 0% dynamic

I totally get it now. I didn’t realise it took my individual driving into account to such an extent. Thanks.

Yes, you certainly sound like you are really enjoying driving it. I think we can safely say that the car is not in Eco mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

In case you haven't seen this yet:

Kia Launches Public Charging Service In Europe

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/kia-launches-public-charging-service-in-europe-for-bevs-and-phevs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Can we purchase a 3 year service plan now? (when we bought our car in June the dealer couldn't price it - told me he'd get back to me when it's available - stopped responding to me completely since)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It seems KIA expects battery coolant change every 47kkm.

from https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/2708691029372168/
    Just been told Kia are suggesting the battery coolant is changed at 47,000km on the e-Niro. It's nearly €50 a litre and takes 14 litres.
    It's yet to be put in writing to the dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

September1 wrote: »

from https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/2708691029372168/

I hope they're paying for it, cos I'm not.

Do other liquid cooled battery cars have this stipulation? I've never heard of it before.

Ah I'd check that from official Non Kia Ireland sources, I remember when I got the Leaf the Dealer had put a "Next Service Due" in 15,000 Kms when in fact it was 30,000 Kms on the 2015 Leaf, absolute snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Big fail by Kia. Won’t be such long waiting lists any more

I've never heard of coolant lasting such little time, if it can last 160,000 kms in the Prius........

September1 wrote: »

VW's new EV's have a 2yr service interval with unlimited mileage. The idea that the eNiro needs new coolant every 47k km's sounds like BS to me.

47k km is a very specific figure to give... why not every 3yrs or 40k km's whichever comes first etc. It just sounds odd to say "every 47k km's".

It should also be clear what is and isnt required by just looking at the maintenance book that comes with the car.... anyone with an eNiro have the book and can take a look?

KCross wrote: »
    VW's new EV's have a 2yr service interval with unlimited mileage. The idea that the eNiro needs new coolant every 47k km's sounds like BS to me.

47k km is a very specific figure to give... why not every 3yrs or 40k km's whichever comes first etc. It just sounds odd to say "every 47k km's".

It should also be clear what is and isnt required by just looking at the maintenance book that comes with the car.... anyone with an eNiro have the book and can take a look?

I can have a look, but the book is out in the garage and is as big as Stephen King's "The Stand" :D It may take a while.

At least one of them is a fantastic read. I'll leave you to guess which one. :p

I can have a look, but the book is out in the garage and is as big as Stephen King's "The Stand" :D It may take a while.

At least one of them is a fantastic read. I'll leave you to guess which one. :p

:D

Usually though there is a much smaller "Maintenance Schedule" book which the dealer will stamp for each service. That also usually shows you what the service schedule is and whats required for each service..... try that book first before looking at the novel!

• Advertisement

The manual refers to normal water in the coolant system with glycol antifreeze.

This page suggests the same.

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/news/fcd02e7

Must be very expensive water.

Looks like more FUD.

Advertisement