Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

JPA wrote: »
    No, there is a communication breakdown between Kia and the AA. Your relationship is with KIA and KIA assist, so go through them.

The agent has his information in front of him, not his fault if he wasn't told about it.

Also, vast majority of insurance covers breakdown assist.

I didn't have any business with KIA Assist thankfully so I don't plan talking to them.
    I wanted to cancel my AA policy simply and that's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

graememk wrote:
    There is a YouTube video showing the engineer mode on the new niro got anyone who is interested.

Is there anything useful in going into engineering mode?

Redlim wrote: »
    That was me. I'm hoping that I don't get the same full year renewal hike that you had. You have me a little worried now! Any luck getting a quote from Aviva?

Fully comprehensive (that's the cover I always pick):
    - Full pay: 636 (I never pay in full)
    - Part pay: 750 (that's what I'd pick)

So no 3xx EUR offer for me at Aviva. (middle-aged driver, B10, 0 points, Aviva Home Insurance holder - so this is with additional discount for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

xboxdad wrote: »

So no 3xx EUR offer for me at Aviva. (middle-aged driver, B10, 0 points, Aviva Home Insurance holder - so this is with additional discount for that)

Did you add another driver? Can bring the price down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you have an account with Bank of Ireland you could try them for a quote - they give you a discount for having an account and I get a second discount on top of that because we have 'Bank of Ireland at Work' where they have a little stand in the canteen every few months (pre pandemic!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Oh that's quite high, do you have an additional driver added that might bring it down? Are you in an urban area or work in a job that may have a higher risk loading?

JPA wrote: »
    Did you add another driver? Can bring the price down a lot.

Yes.

Redlim wrote: »
    Oh that's quite high, do you have an additional driver added that might bring it down? Are you in an urban area or work in a job that may have a higher risk loading?

Yes (additional driver).
    It's Dublin
    No risky job

I tried chill, 123 too. The best quotes all came back as 6xx.
    Now awaiting a response from EV Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Try Blue Insurance, 201 eNiro €340 for myself and the wife fully comp with full no claims protection.

• Advertisement

icom wrote: »
    Try Blue Insurance, 201 eNiro €340 for myself and the wife fully comp with full no claims protection.

• 1 YearComprehensive
    • €1091.65
    • Doesn't even include NCB protection :)

• 1 YearThird Party, Fire & Theft
    • €914.13

Will wait for a response from EV Insurance and see what they say.
    If it's still not much lower than 6xx, I'm keeping Allianz. Not worth the hassle I went through today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Girl 2011

Interesting. Didn't see anything that reports on the voltage of the 12V battery (couldn't enable engineer mode anyway, as none of the buttons are working on the radio :(). On a positive note, since the radio stopped working correctly, the battery seems to be holding steady at around 12.68V. Every cloud!

What's the purpose / what do you use this mode for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

Girl 2011 wrote: »

It has long been hoped that there are options in the Engineering Menu, which could be turned on or off, or that there was more interesting information available in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Guys whats your experience with UVO app? Im a bit concerned with its poor functionality, in particular regular remote air con start fails. Only works on second attempt usually. I wonder is there a way to fix this issue?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Guys whats your experience with UVO app? Im a bit concerned with its poor functionality, in particular regular remote air con start fails. Only works on second attempt usually. I wonder is there a way to fix this issue?

I get the failed message, but if I refresh the status page its on. Without having to send a second request

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Girl 2011 wrote: »
    It's not really meant for owners/consumers, and is aimed at those doing diagnostics when there's a problem. In my case, it looks like it would be quicker to use a multimeter anyway.
    Battery voltage still holding steady at 12.5v since radio buttons/controls stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

championc wrote: »
    It has long been hoped that there are options in the Engineering Menu, which could be turned on or off, or that there was more interesting information available in there.
    Yes, but in reality it's barely any different to the Dealer Mode that's been known about for a while.

Battery voltage still holding steady at 12.5v since radio buttons/controls stopped working.
    ...and we're back down to 4.5V (and a lifeless vehicle), in just under 24 hours. Had hoped to avoid going back to the Kia garage (via Kia Assist), but going from 12.5V to 4.5V in 24 hours, seems like a pretty significant battery drain - more than can be reasonably managed by keeping the 12V battery regularly charged? Between the broken radio, driver's side keyless entry and rapid draining battery, I think I'm going to have to send it back again. :( Anyone think it's worth charging the 12V battery again and giving it another go, or is this a clear case of going back to the garage?

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone think it's worth charging the 12V battery again and giving it another go, or is this a clear case of going back to the garage?

Are you expecting a different outcome if you do? I see no reason why it would suddenly start working.

Why do Kia keep giving it back to you if the drain is so regular and quick to show itself. Surely if they "fix it" then they could keep it parked up for a day and then test it themselves.

Sounds like you've numerous problems with the car from new. I wonder at what point can you just get your money back, or an entirely new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would be spitting venom if this was my brand new car.

• Advertisement

Are you expecting a different outcome if you do? I see no reason why it would suddenly start working.

Why do Kia keep giving it back to you if the drain is so regular and quick to show itself. Surely if they "fix it" then they could keep it parked up for a day and then test it themselves.
    They kept it overnight before returning it to me and it was fine the next day. The following morning, it was dead. I invested in a jump starter kit when I was away on holidays, had to use it a couple of times and then had a week of uninterrupted driving bliss (albeit with the replacement radio controls not working). It's pretty inconsistent. It has only been in with the garage once (albeit for 2.5 weeks). I guess my question really is: does a battery drain from 12.5V to 4.5V overnight indicate that the 12V battery is fooked or should I invest in or borrow a smart charger and give it one last go? Sending the car to the garage is not straightforward and requires negotiation with a number of parties (Kia Ireland (Kia Assist/AA), Enterprise (for replacement car), and the Kia garage itself.

Sounds like you've numerous problems with the car from new. I wonder at what point can you just get your money back, or an entirely new car?

Yeah once a battery gets a deep discharge (for whatever reason) it's done,

You will be able to charge it and get going again to get to the Kia garage. Without getting assist out.

If I had any of the faults you have I'd be at the garage. That's what warranty is for!

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah once a battery gets a deep discharge (for whatever reason) it's done,

You will be able to charge it and get going again to get to the Kia garage. Without getting assist out.

If I had any of the faults you have I'd be at the garage. That's what warranty is for!
    Cheers. That's what I'm thinking. I could definitely get it started and get it to the Kia garage, but you only get a replacement vehicle if yours is towed away by Kia Assist (as I understand it - open to correction?). Would be great to avoid Kia assist, if I could get a replacement vehicle from the garage. Will give them a call.

4.5 volts, don't bother trying smart charger, that battery is history.

Is it still the original battery ? if it went down to 4.5 volts the first time it would be unlikely to recover.

Needs a new battery.

I just checked my own. It's reading 12.47v and, due to unlocking it I assume, it was then drawing 3.35a. i'm sure it must be very difficult to monitor the battery with the bonnet down and the car all locked up. Sorry but I'm not pulling my dash apart to check if the 3.35a is coming from the radio or not.

So the best question is possibly as to what was the current draw that the garage measured from the supposedly faulty radio unit ?

It could simply be a bad battery. I had a battery on my old Bimmer. It charged to about 12.7v, but when I connected it to the car, it didn't even have enough juice to power it's radio.

Thankfully my Noco Genius Boost GB20 should arrive tomorrow.

Cheers. That's what I'm thinking. I could definitely get it started and get it to the Kia garage, but you only get a replacement vehicle if yours is towed away by Kia Assist (as I understand it - open to correction?). Would be great to avoid Kia assist, if I could get a replacement vehicle from the garage. Will give them a call.

Yeah call the garage, it's their problem, besides they will just pass the cost onto Kia as it's a warranty issue.

When testing battery voltage if you think the battery is iffy it needs to be checked when there is a load on it, so it may show 4.5 volts with a multimeter, it may drop to practically nothing when something is connected.

Do you know if the battery was ever replaced? After the first incident

4.5 volts, don't bother trying smart charger, that battery is history.

Is it still the original battery ? if it went down to 4.5 volts the first time it would be unlikely to recover.

Needs a new battery.
    Yep, original battery. This is the second time I've seen it down at 4.5V. Originally figure my multimeter must be kacked, so got a new one. Apparently it's not mu multimeter that's kacked.
    championc wrote:
    Thankfully my Noco Genius Boost GB20 should arrive tomorrow.
    It's a great piece of kit. Shame that we have to use them, but they work when you need them!

Yep, original battery. This is the second time I've seen it down at 4.5V. Originally figure my multimeter must be kacked, so got a new one. Apparently it's not mu multimeter that's kacked.

Call Kia and get them to transport it to the dealer, get a replacement car until they guarantee it's fixed. That battery is toast at 4.5 volts.

Pic of amps attached

And at 4.5v, irreparable damage may have been done to the battery. Simply request a replacement battery

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Pic of amps attached

And at 4.5v, irreparable damage may have been done to the battery. Simply request a replacement battery

Ohh i must get myself one of them clamp meters

I have found the car "wakes up" as soon as you walk up to it, as the dash cam in the car turns on when the mirrors fold out.

I wonder for how long it stays awake, It knows the bonnet is open or not so it might not shutdown if its open.

Advertisement