Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Is the 12v battery drain really that much of an issue with the eNiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

chewed wrote: »
    Is the 12v battery drain really that much of an issue with the eNiro?
    In my case, the problem was likely exacerbated by the fact that we were due to pick up our car during peak Covid phase 1 (mid March), so after travelling across the world on a transport carrier, the car sat idle for 2 months, while all the garages were closed. Twinned with a fault in the vehicle which caused a sizable 12V battery drain when the vehicle was idle, it became a significant issue, with daily call outs to Kia Assist (the AA) to jump start the vehicle, and ultimately, investment in a Jump start kit.

The problem has almost entirely been resolved at this point - the root cause of the drain was not the console/entertainment system (misdiagnosed and seems to have been replaced twice), but rather the smart junction box. Kia have supplied the garage with a replacement 12V battery also, just need to find some time to drop out to get it swapped, and hopefully this chapter is closed.

If your vehicle doesn't have a similar fault that causes a battery drain, and it is driven regularly, then I wouldn't imagine you'll run into problems with the 12V battery and shouldn't need to jump start it (though there are pretty common reports of having to jump start the eNiro on other eV forums). But, if you do keep jump leads in your car for 'just in case', this jump start kit is sooo much more convenient and of course can be used on other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

And of course, the GB20 is a power bank with a USB out socket, so can charge a mobile phone. It also has a useful torch type light

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem has almost entirely been resolved at this point - the root cause of the drain was not the console/entertainment system (misdiagnosed and seems to have been replaced twice), but rather the smart junction box. Kia have supplied the garage with a replacement 12V battery also, just need to find some time to drop out to get it swapped, and hopefully this chapter is closed.
    Interesting .. what is this smart junction box you mention, and what was done to remedy the fault? Was it replaced with an updated version?

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting .. what is this smart junction box you mention, and what was done to remedy the fault? Was it replaced with an updated version?
    It's the fuse box within the cabin, just below right of the steering wheel (assuming it's the same layout for the phev). Replaced with equivalent but working part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Anyone looked at getting a tow bar fitted to their eniro? Not for towing a trailer or caravan but I need it so I can carry 4 bikes on a bike rack (which I already have from my previous car ). I would not be travelling more than 100km with the bikes and don't plan to go over 100k.
    Obviously this will be a drain on the battery but is there any technical or safety reason why it could be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Anyone looked at getting a tow bar fitted to their eniro? Not for towing a trailer or caravan but I need it so I can carry 4 bikes on a bike rack (which I already have from my previous car ). I would not be travelling more than 100km with the bikes and don't plan to go over 100k.
    Obviously this will be a drain on the battery but is there any technical or safety reason why it could be an issue?

There appears to be one listed as an official Kia accessory for some mainland Europe countries, e.g. Netherlands, but not for Ireland or the UK. So it seems it's definitely doable but at what cost or effort I don't know. Might be worthwhile messaging Kia Ireland.

It'd be great if it was possible here also as having the bikes behind the car rather than on the roof will help a lot efficiency wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Messaged Kia to find out if they were giving out any deals for the Ionnity network. Anyone hear of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Try here, they have one listed "for e-Niro only".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s basically a grey area for warranty as well as insurance. Once Kia hear towbar they assume you’re towing and can’t seem to accept its for accessories. I went as far as buying one for my dogs step like I had on my hybrid Niro and previous car - my own fault for not checking first. The dealer was great and went back and forth with Kia for me explaining it was for the dog step which would only be present when he was getting in and out etc etc but any issues with the drive train down the line they’d blame the bar. :(. I’ve yet to get an official answer from Kia.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    It’s basically a grey area for warranty as well as insurance. Once Kia hear towbar they assume you’re towing and can’t seem to accept its for accessories. I went as far as buying one for my dogs step like I had on my hybrid Niro and previous car - my own fault for not checking first. The dealer was great and went back and forth with Kia for me explaining it was for the dog step which would only be present when he was getting in and out etc etc but any issues with the drive train down the line they’d blame the bar. :(. I’ve yet to get an official answer from Kia.
    Does it require 'surgery', or is it reversible?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does it require 'surgery', or is it reversible?

It’s reversible which sorts Kia’s warranty questions I guess.. insurance wanted it done by a registered fitter when we had done a diy job to try it for positioning which included boring/adjusting the mounting holes on the hitch itself and that’s where I decided it wasn’t worth the risk so didn’t continue with it. I didn’t think a mechanic would touch it after we had made adjustments. The one I did ask advice from was a friend of friend and told me insurance would be void even if he certified it so I lost my nerve :( Really disappointing as it made me regret changing cars a little now

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Girl 2011

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Messaged Kia to find out if they were giving out any deals for the Ionnity network. Anyone hear of anything?

What's he difference with ionnity and the esb charge points? Saw them at a petrol service station other day? How do you sign up to use ionnity

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Have the car 3 months and it has been faultless, better than i had expected. Not allowing a towbar to be fitted is a real bummer for me now.
    I'm sure when I bought the car the dealer said a firm in Dublin was fitting tow bars and definitely said nothing about warranty issues in the future.
    Will look into it sometime next week.
    In the meantime can you get a 4 bike rear mounted carrier.. I can only find 3 bike carriers https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-rear-3-cycle-car-rack/rp-prod167351

Changing subject... have seen 2 VW ID. 3 cars parked up over the weekend. I know comparing to the eniro is not a like for like comparison but my heavily biased personal opinion was not impressed.
    Apart from the nice 19 or 20 inch alloys it looks like a cheaper version of a VW Golf. Looks quite small from the outside and the interior dash etc looks like it was designed by an intern from Fisher Price.
    Maybe it was hyped up too much and yes it's cheaper than the eniro but VW is supposed to be a better brand than Kia but not for me this time.

Does the id3 allow you to fit a tow bar? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Girl 2011 wrote: »
    What's he difference with ionnity and the esb charge points? Saw them at a petrol service station other day? How do you sign up to use ionnity
    ESB is currently 29c per kwh while Ionnity without a payplan in place from your car manufacturer is 79c per kwh.
    All the Ionnity chargers will give 150kw max per charge while most ESB chargers are 22KW or 48KW max. They do have, I think 3, 150KW chargers in place.
    Just goto Ionnity itself to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hi,

Im about to buy a 2020 E-Niro. I think its the 3 Trim (I think that's the only trim available in Ireland?).

Should I hold off for the 2021 E-Niro in January? Any details on what might be different in next years model/trims?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hi,

Im about to buy a 2020 E-Niro. I think its the 3 Trim (I think that's the only trim available in Ireland?).

Should I hold off for the 2021 E-Niro in January? Any details on what might be different in next years model/trims?

No word on any changes to the Irish spec.

Ireland has nothing to do with the UK. Ireland deals directly with Euro HQ in Frankfurt. So just because the UK are bringing in a new series of templates of included specs, doesn't have any bearing on Ireland.

I'd say, for Jan deliveries, orders would possibly need to be made quite soon since transportation is about 5 weeks and add 2 weeks for sitting pre shipment, so Jan cars would be built at the latest in early Nov

So all I’m reading about the 3/4/4+ trim doesn’t apply here? What are the specs for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Chumpski wrote: »
    So all I’m reading about the 3/4/4+ trim doesn’t apply here? What are the specs for Ireland?

https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/e-niro/specifications/

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »

I see, sorry it’s confusing seeing all written about the UK trims. Thanks guys.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Where does the Irish version sit Vs the UK ones? Would it be a 3/4/4+? Or is own spec entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It’s it’s own spec. Nothing to do with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the Niro larger than money other EVs on the market with the exception of SUVs?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the Niro larger than money other EVs on the market with the exception of SUVs?

By battery or storage space or length and height ? Battery is 64kw, which is one of the biggest, but equal to the Kona. But it's storage space is larger than the Kona and some on UK forums have mentioned that the ride is better than the Kona

championc wrote: »
    By battery or storage space or length and height ? Battery is 64kw, which is one of the biggest, but equal to the Kona. But it's storage space is larger than the Kona and some on UK forums have mentioned that the ride is better than the Kona

I feel the Kona looks cheap inside but maybe I’m being unfair

Gael23 wrote: »
    I feel the Kona looks cheap inside but maybe I’m being unfair

And looks like a bl00dy spaceship

Kona isn't that nice inside, too much cheap silver that I thought went out in the 00's on home entertainment equipment, TV's et. Plastics are a bit gammy etc, perhaps the colours have a lot to do with it.

I thought the E-soul was better inside.

Kona isn't that nice inside, too much cheap silver that I thought went out in the 00's on home entertainment equipment, TV's et. Plastics are a bit gammy etc, perhaps the colours have a lot to do with it.

I thought the E-soul was better inside.

Do they still have that blue plastic dash?

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »

So about to pull the trigger on buying a 2020 Kia E-Niro. In the specs, it mentions `High-power on board charger 11 Kw`.

This means that the car charges faster from home?

Would anybody be able to recommend a home charger for the E-Niro that takes advantage of this?

(if this is the wrong thread, please let me know and ill ask elsewhere)

Thanks.

Advertisement