Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I would imagine the U.K continuing with the outdated practice of changing the clocks twice a year.

I would hope the Irish Government keep us on summer time and not worry about the North or use the North as an excuse to keep us changing the clocks twice a year this would be ridiculous.

I'm more north than the North. :P

granted your far enough away for it not to be an issue to you

Yeah I can see the UK going that way.. Empire and all that. But having an hour time difference on the island would be such a pain in the ass for anyone near the border. Esp for people working cross border.

Other half does, and my work hours are flexible. if it came to it we'd prob just stick to UK time at home.

Dont get me wrong the whole daylight savings is silly, Sooner got rid of the better.

graememk wrote: »
    I'm more north than the North. :P

granted your far enough away for it not to be an issue to you

Yeah I can see the UK going that way.. Empire and all that. But having an hour time difference on the island would be such a pain in the ass for anyone near the border. Esp for people working cross border.

Other half does, and my work hours are flexible. if it came to it we'd prob just stick to UK time at home.

Dont get me wrong the whole daylight savings is silly, Sooner got rid of the better.

Yeah I understand but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few lol :p

lol no I'm just a real believer of keeping the clocks on summer time because loosing the hour of daylight if they are to keep us on winter time forever would be just severely depressing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

From memory, the gov said that they would take an all island approach. But of course, there's no reason for the Irish gov not to lead in this regard, rather than being led

championc wrote: »
    From memory, the gov said that they would take an all island approach. But of course, there's no reason for the Irish gov not to lead in this regard, rather than being led

The Irish Government need to think about the needs of the Republic first, if the majority voted to stay on Summer time then we need to push the Government to do what's right for the Republic and keep us on Summer time, if the British want to keep changing the clocks twice a year that's their business the Irish Government must do what's right for the Republic.

An all Island approach means the Irish Government will only do what's in the interest of the 6 Counties and this in my opinion would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Is this the Kia Niro forum? :confused:

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Is this the Kia Niro forum? :confused:

Back seat modding ? :D

Back seat modding ? :D

True, but hes not wrong! We're quite the ways off topic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Is using the 3 pin to type 2 cable at home a bad idea for the Kia Eniro for either the long term health of the battery and car?

Would it be a bad idea for either reliability or cost for the electricity supply for the house?

(The reason I ask is that I'm in a terraced house with my fuse box in an awkward location at the back of the house which means an awkward install for a home charger, running cabling on the outside of multiple walls. Im trying to think of alternative solutions, like an external 3 pin plug outside the house).

Chumpski wrote: »
    Is using the 3 pin to type 2 cable at home a bad idea for the Kia Eniro for either the long term health of the battery and car?

Would it be a bad idea for either reliability or cost for the electricity supply for the house?

(The reason I ask is that I'm in a terraced house with my fuse box in an awkward location at the back of the house which means an awkward install for a home charger, running cabling on the outside of multiple walls. Im trying to think of alternative solutions, like an external 3 pin plug outside the house).

Nothing wrong with what you propose. You just need to make sure that the outdoor socket wiring is sufficient to carry a 3kw continuous load. Mind you, you'd need to keep it fairly topped up since you'd never get it from 20% to full in one night.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Think there are more losses when using a granny charger too. You'd not be able to charge only on a night rate. Youd have to plug in every night too. IMO it isn't a long term solution. 12 hours of charging would get you about 24kWh at best about 40% in an eNiro.

Could you run cabling through the attic and to the front of the house? It'd be awkward either way though. That distance you'd be using 10sqr cabling, which isn't very flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It wont negatively affect the car or battery.

Possibly and why its generally not recommended as a long term solution
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112650425&postcount=171

Usually you can run a cable up into the attic and down the front wall at wall plate level. It should be possible, you just need an electrician willing to spend the time.

It would be worth it in the long run, particularly since you have a long range EV which is going to need higher levels of power to get a full charge during the 9hr night rate.

Think there are more losses when using a granny charger too. You'd not be able to charge only on a night rate. Youd have to plug in every night too. IMO it isn't a long term solution. 12 hours of charging would get you about 24kWh at best about 40% in an eNiro.

Could you run cabling through the attic and to the front of the house? It'd be awkward either way though. That distance you'd be using 10sqr cabling, which isn't very flexible.

We can't run cabling down the front of the house as its a new build with all houses having agreed to not modify the outside. To be honest, id rather not have a chunky cable coming down the outer wall either as I cant camoflauge it with paint due to brick pattern on the wall.

Also, not happy about having ugly cabling going through multiple rooms in the house too.

What do you mean by losses in a granny cable (sorry new to EVs and charging)?

KCross wrote: »
    It wont negatively affect the car or battery.

Possibly and why its generally not recommended as a long term solution
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112650425&postcount=171

Usually you can run a cable up into the attic and down the front wall at wall plate level. It should be possible, you just need an electrician willing to spend the time.

It would be worth it in the long run, particularly since you have a long range EV which is going to need higher levels of power to get a full charge during the 9hr night rate.

Yup, we would love to have a proper charger, just the house has to be ripped up to accommodate it is the problem.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing your post with experiences using the 3 pin long term.

We can't run cabling down the front of the house as its a new build with all houses having agreed to not modify the outside. To be honest, id rather not have a chunky cable coming down the outer wall either as I cant camoflauge it with paint due to brick pattern on the wall.

Also, not happy about having ugly cabling going through multiple rooms in the house too.

How about running the cable down behind a downpipe?

If you cant run the cable down the outside wall maybe you can drill into the cavity and fetch the cable up into the attic from there? Its a bit harder but still possible.

Ultimately you need to get an electrician onsite and get him to survey the place and give you options.
    What do you mean by losses in a granny cable (sorry new to EVs and charging)?

The charger in the car is designed to give its max efficiency at a particular power level. The granny cable is well below that max efficiency power level so it costs a little extra to charge the car that way but its not something you'd need to worry about really in pure money terms. Pocket change.

Yup, had an electrician onsite this week and he recommended a route in the house, going through 3 rooms and a hallway and told us the outside wasn't possible. Crazy but I cant see an alternative route myself considering the outer wall, I don't think we can have a cable running down it.

Yup, had an electrician onsite this week and he recommended a route in the house, going through 3 rooms and a hallway and told us the outside wasn't possible. Crazy but I cant see an alternative route myself considering the outer wall, I don't think we can have a cable running down it.

I wouldn't of thought "agreeing to not modify the outside" was intended for something so minor. More that residents don't paint red brickwork, add a porch or stick a satellite on the front of the house.

Bad design of a new build (no existing cabling or trunking for EV, fuse box at the rear) shouldn't hold you responsible to jump through hoops. Is it a managed property or was it just a general request to not adapt the front of houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Places like that will soon be faced with no option but to allow a charge point to be installed. It's not feasible to ban them. But have a chat with whoever made this rule as it may not be the kind of modification they don't want to allow. They may be fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows the major differences between the 2019 and 2020 eNiro?

There seems to be a few 2019 models in the UK on sale for around €30k, even with VRT added on they're somewhat cheaper than the €38k for a new one here

I'm wondering if there's any significant difference between the 2 models that would make the 2020 one worth the cost?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows the major differences between the 2019 and 2020 eNiro?

There seems to be a few 2019 models in the UK on sale for around €30k, even with VRT added on they're somewhat cheaper than the €38k for a new one here

I'm wondering if there's any significant difference between the 2 models that would make the 2020 one worth the cost?

Think the new one is over 40k here now.

Think the new one is over 40k here now.

Really??? It's 38,234 on the website, assuming 1k delivery that takes us up to 39k, hope there isn't anything else

Even with the hassle of travelling the import is looking more attractive

• Advertisement

If you have stud walls you can route the cable inside the wall and ceiling. The electrician will tell you no because he doesn't want the hassle but if you push them then they might do it.

It's fairly destructive as you can imagine as they'll need to cut holes in the walls and ceilings.

Another option would be to look out for any internal ducts for pipes or ventilation. They can give you a quick route to the outside

Really??? It's 38,234 on the website, assuming 1k delivery that takes us up to 39k, hope there isn't anything else

Even with the hassle of travelling the import is looking more attractive
    The vat reduction helped but yeah depending on the "delivery"

There is a list done a few pages back comparing the Irish first edition and the uk one and then the second editions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭eagerv

graememk wrote: »
    The vat reduction helped but yeah depending on the "delivery"

There is a list done a few pages back comparing the Irish first edition and the uk one and then the second editions

They quoted me €1500 delivery back a number of months ago, but I got the impression that the charge was easily negotiable..

eagerv wrote: »
    They quoted me €1500 delivery back a number of months ago, but I got the impression that the charge was easily negotiable..

A deal isn't done until it's done! Will also need to check where the Niro lies with the new Vrt rules and rebate in the new year. From memory it was in and around the tipping point where there wasn't much difference.

The infamous super valu voucher is back again! If anyone remembers last year!

I did get mine either at the end of Nov or start of dec last year.

Hi folks,

The main difference is the Infotainment screen. The MY19 had a 7" or 8" screen, while the MY20 has the 10.25".

There are several differences between the UK and Irish models though. The Irish MY20 has the 11kw AC charger while the UK has LED front lights, 7kw AC charger, JBL Stereo and a Heat Pump. I'm not sure about the differences on the MY19 specs.

I'd be very tempted in the MY21 "4+" UK spec in a few years time, which will have all the bells and whistles onboard it seems.

Certainly, buying an EV from the UK or elsewhere is a good option since you really just need a photo of the GOM at 100% charge. With EV's, they really either work or they don't !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Saw one being used as a taxi a short while ago. 201WX. Didn't have the bar across the top. Do taxis have to have that? Perhaps it was off duty or can they leave it off? Probably pretty bad for range.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Saw one being used as a taxi a short while ago. 201WX. Didn't have the bar across the top. Do taxis have to have that? Perhaps it was off duty or can they leave it off? Probably pretty bad for range.

I think they can take them off when they're not in service, seen a few without them around the place.

I'd say the range impact isn't that bad in the end. Aerodynamics aren't a major problem at low speeds and taxis tend to do local runs around town, so no high speed runs there.

If there was a 20% penalty from the sign, you'd probably still get 300-400km range. Doing a Dublin airport to Dublin city center run of about 20km, that gives you 10 round trips. Adding a 45 min fast charge gets you another 250km or 6 airport runs.

At about 45 mins per round trip, that's a 12 hour shift, plus charging stop brings it to almost 13 hours, enough to drive anyone crazy.

Assuming each airport run goes to a €25 fare, then that'll be €400 income for the day. Assuming the car was charged overnight at night rates and then topped up on an ESB charger this gives (64x0.07)+(37.5x0.305)=€15.91 cost of electricity for the car.

Gross profit before tax €384.09, not bad for a day's work.

4 working days a week for 50 weeks per year gives and income before tax of €76,818. Almost worth quitting the day job over

Anyone know what the current VRT is on an E-Niro? I can't find it on the Revenue calculator.

I'm guessing it's €0 after the rebate but just looking to confirm

Anyone know what the current VRT is on an E-Niro? I can't find it on the Revenue calculator.

I'm guessing it's €0 after the rebate but just looking to confirm

For a new one?

There will be no VRT upto about €36k but since the eNiro is ~€40k there will be some VRT.

Secondhand, probably none, as it would be below €36k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

New owners, I suggest you don't power on your e-Niro while it's charging. I did that in my very first charging session and then the car did not respect the remote control, wouldn't power off and would constantly beep while I couldn't lock, unlock or remove the charging cable. Only UVO worked. Had to lock / unlock the car via UVO and then it was all back to normal.
    I'll remember this forever.
    However, my wife didn't remember... ...and repeated the same.
    Again, only UVO helped. I'm glad UVO worked again otherwise I would have needed to call KIA Assistance.
    I'm hoping this goes away with the (ugly purple looking) software update at the 15k service.

Advertisement