Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

[QUOTE=xboxdad;115171713]New owners, I suggest you don't power on your e-Niro while it's charging. I did that in my very first charging session and then the car did not respect the remote control, wouldn't power off and would constantly beep while I couldn't lock, unlock or remove the charging cable. Only UVO worked. Had to lock / unlock the car via UVO and then it was all back to normal.
    I'll remember this forever.
    However, my wife didn't remember... ...and repeated the same.
    Again, only UVO helped. I'm glad UVO worked again otherwise I would have needed to call KIA Assistance.
    I'm hoping this goes away with the (ugly purple looking) software update at the 15k service.[/QUOTE]

Is your first service at 15K? My first one at 20K.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

vidukasp wrote: »

Is your first service at 15K? My first one at 20K.

I'm under the impression it's 15k for me (MY20).

xboxdad wrote: »
    I'm under the impression it's 15k for me (MY20).

My is 202. very strange.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My is 202. very strange.

Yeah I think mines meant to be at 15k. Must get it in for a kick the tyres service lol

Also I've powered the car on loads of times while charging with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm hoping this goes away with the (ugly purple looking) software update at the 15k service.
    I doubt it, that's only for the infotainment system, nothing to do with the cluster or any other system software.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I doubt it, that's only for the infotainment system, nothing to do with the cluster or any other system software.

Is there no update for the other systems since March, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah I think mines meant to be at 15k. Must get it in for a kick the tyres service lol

Also I've powered the car on loads of times while charging with no issues

Same here, no issues.

icom wrote: »
    Same here, no issues.

Strange. We only ever did it twice and got into that same situation both times. I read it once or twice on the UK e-Niro FB page, but not everyone gets it there either. (did 11k+ in the car already, no other weirdness)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is there no update for the other systems since March, do you know?
    I've not heard of any, but there might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Be aware that the latest update appears to remove the three sector display off the infotainment screen

• Advertisement

Re: 1st service

Joe Duffy says 1st service is at 15k (they didn't know my reg, so it's the same answer from them to any e-Niro).
    150 EUR. Is it a good price BTW?

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Joe Duffy says 1st service is at 15k (they didn't know my reg, so it's the same answer from them to any e-Niro).

150 EUR for what? First services on EVs are generally just an inspection. Seems a complete rip off.

150 EUR for what? First services on EVs are generally just an inspection. Seems a complete rip off.

Do you have any recommendation in Dublin?

Someone in here posted in the early part of this year that they got it done in a Kia Dealership down in possibly Portlaoise or Athlone for €80.

My memory was that it was about an hour from Dublin, heading westerly direction.

championc wrote: »
    Someone in here posted in the early part of this year that they got it done in a Kia Dealership down in possibly Portlaoise or Athlone for €80.

My memory was that it was about an hour from Dublin, heading westerly direction.

Thank you. Well, it might be a Dublin vs everywhere else thing again. (I got prices like 145/150/199 so far in Dublin and it only includes the routine checkup plus pollen filter replacement)

My first service is at 20k. Was told €80 for it. Newgate, Navan, Co. Meath

That's so weird. All these Dublin based companies got back to me saying 1st service is at 15k. Also the MyKia app shows my 1st service is at 15k (just registered to MyKia a minute ago)

So what is the ACTUAL story regarding services and warranty ? I'm assuming that UK is still operating under European law and it seems that the only mandatory essential EV service is the 3rd year. There also appears to be a situation too where services only need to be done by a competent garage and not specifically by a Kia dealer. And it certainly seems that you don't have to go anywhere near the garage you bought from.

So what is the ACTUAL story regarding services and warranty ? I'm assuming that UK is still operating under European law and it seems that the only mandatory essential EV service is the 3rd year. There also appears to be a situation too where services only need to be done by a competent garage and not specifically by a Kia dealer. And it certainly seems that you don't have to go anywhere near the garage you bought from.

The garage I bought it from never even responded to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd be careful with that. Service it at 20k, something happens & they could claim it wasn't serviced in accordance with the schedule & deny warranty.

It's an expensive tyre kicking exercise but you need it done on a new vehicle, to maintain full warranty benefits.

€150+ for a first EV service is indeed, a rip off.

Funny how they also insist on 15k service intervals too on most EVs, with 90% less moving parts, no oil, filters, belts, plugs etc. My PHEV has a 30k service interval, a turbocharged petrol engine, yet costs less to service from a main BMW dealer, including oil, oil filter, air filter etc.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    My PHEV has a 30k service interval, a turbocharged petrol engine, yet costs less to service from a main BMW dealer, including oil, oil filter, air filter etc.

At KIA, even PHEV has a 15k interval..
    One of the responses I got:
    "The service interval for all Niro (Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid & EV) is 15,000kms or 12 months whichever comes first"

A little vague as it doesn't state when is the 1st one.. ..but all the others said explicitly it was at 15k.

At KIA, even PHEV has a 15k interval..
    One of the responses I got:

Not denying it, we had a new Hyundai Ioniq with the same requirements, had to service it 3 times in approx 12 months (45k on it).

There's something wrong when it costs less to service, at a main dealer, a new €70k BMW turbocharged petrol PHEV (inc. filters, oil etc.), than a Hyundai/Kia BEV, with no engine (no parts at all required).

It actually cost us more to service the Ioniq (check the 4 wheels were still on it) than charge it/fuel it :eek:.

Actually, looking at it, it would cost TWICE as much to service a Kia/Hyundai BEV over 5 years/100,000km as a 5 series BMW PHEV!

I'm still puzzled. Do you actually NEED to have it serviced
    a) at all
    b) by A. N. Other garage
    c) a Kia Dealership Service Centre

I'm still puzzled. Do you actually NEED to have it serviced
    a) at all
    b) by A. N. Other garage
    c) a Kia Dealership Service Centre

To maintain warranty, yes, you need it serviced in accordance with the manufacturer schedule. I'd imagine only a Kia approved independent (probably aren't any) or main dealer would suffice.

To maintain warranty, yes, you need it serviced in accordance with the manufacturer schedule. I'd imagine only a Kia approved independent (probably aren't any) or main dealer would suffice.

Above you said "they could claim it wasn't serviced in accordance with the schedule & deny warranty", which appears to indicate that servicing is therefore somewhat optional, but that you could have a fight on your hands ???

I'd be careful with that. Service it at 20k, something happens & they could claim it wasn't serviced in accordance with the schedule & deny warranty.

It's an expensive tyre kicking exercise but you need it done on a new vehicle, to maintain full warranty benefits.

€150+ for a first EV service is indeed, a rip off.

Funny how they also insist on 15k service intervals too on most EVs, with 90% less moving parts, no oil, filters, belts, plugs etc. My PHEV has a 30k service interval, a turbocharged petrol engine, yet costs less to service from a main BMW dealer, including oil, oil filter, air filter etc.
    There is a sticker on my windscreen: 20k or one year. I was told that too.

There is a sticker on my windscreen: 20k or one year. I was told that too.

I just found that sticker in my car.
    It says 1 year or 15k for me. (hand written)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I just found that sticker in my car.
    It says 1 year or 15k for me. (hand written)

I'd be tempted to contact Kia Ireland directly (not the garage) and query that.

Surely the service intervals are in the manual, anything above that and Kia should supply a reason?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Surely the service intervals are in the manual, anything above that and Kia should supply a reason?

I did e-mail Kia Ireland about the service interval. I received no reply.

• Advertisement

It seems pretty clear though.
    Everybody says 15k (including 3-4 garages and the MyKia Web page & app) except one single hand-written sticker in one owner's car.
    I wouldn't risk doing it at 20k if it was me.

Also, contacting KIA directly:
    If you try to contact any dealer via the Irish KIA web site, you might get contacted by Joe Duffy.
    So it seems it's just one of the biggest dealers posing as "KIA".

Advertisement