Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Kia Niro EV

  • 09-01-2018 3:23am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    NiroEV_11-980x620.jpg

    niroev-12.jpg

    So... it begins. The crossover EV invasion. This is the Kia Niro EV Concept shown at CES tonight, previewing the production Kia Niro EV launching in Q3/Q4.
    Arriving in Ireland for the 191 Reg.

    380+km EPA (i.e. real world) range (rumors suggest two battery options (40kWh and 64kWh) and this is likely EPA range of the larger)
    150kW motor (FWD)
    100kW CCS rapid charging (Korea's Agency for Technology and Standards announced on Dec 21st they will officially adopt CCS as their rapid charging standard)


«134567170

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭ thierry14


    Nice motor

    I like that it has 200bhp

    The rumours of Hyundai using the Chevy Bolt LG drivetrain and battery pack might be true then

    Its just a pity it will probably be low volume

    0-60 6 secs, 400km range is perfect

    Hyundai warranty is the job too, usually 5 year unlimited mileage


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ grogi


    thierry14 wrote: »
    Hyundai warranty is the job too, usually 5 year unlimited mileage

    But it isn't Hyundai. I know they are sister companies, but Kia warranty despite 7 years long, is worse than Hyundai.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭ thierry14


    grogi wrote: »
    But it isn't Hyundai. I know they are sister companies, but Kia warranty despite 7 years long, is worse than Hyundai.

    Oh yeah always mix up the 2 :)

    7 year, 150k km is good too

    Even better for me as I do under 20k km per year

    Would get the full 7 years

    Tesla only give 4 year/ 80k km and Nissan a pathetic 3 year/ 100k km


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Looks nice but I would go for the Hyundai version, I always found the Hyundai had a better build quality if you compared to the Kia......


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    I guess this is the Kia version of the KONA? Will Kona be released before>


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    Shefwedfan wrote:
    I guess this is the Kia version of the KONA? Will Kona be released before>

    Not quite, the Kia version of the Kona is the Stonic. EV version of that on the way too.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    cros13 wrote: »
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    I guess this is the Kia version of the KONA? Will Kona be released before>

    Not quite, the Kia version of the Kona is the Stonic. EV version of that on the way too.

    Ok so the Niro will be a bit bigger to the Sonic?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    Shefwedfan wrote:
    Ok so the Niro will be a bit bigger to the Sonic?

    Yes


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    I believe the Niro is based on the Ioniq platform.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    The Niro might be worth a look at if bigger than Kona.....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    My understanding is that the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq have the same drivetrain and share a platform with the Kia Stonic

    Not sure what drivetrain the Niro uses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    KCross wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq have the same drivetrain and share a platform with the Kia Stonic

    Not sure what drivetrain the Niro uses.

    The Niro platform is the same as the Ioniq platform.
    The Kona & Stonic use a shortened version of that platform.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭ Dont be at yourself


    I know it’s only a concept, but looks so much better than the Kona. Performance and range look great too. Can see myself going for this when my financing is up on my Ioniq in 2019.

    Are Hyundai likely to release an equivalent? That’d be an EV Tucson I assume?


  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭ dee75


    Great looking vehicle. I'd definitely take a look at that in 2019.

    I have Kia Sportage from new since 2011 ad found their 7 year warranty very good. Have found my car to be very comfortable and reliable.

    Any idea what price range it's likely to be in?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

    The Sportage and Tucson are the same SUV so would be interesting if Hyundai just released a Tucson EV, it would clean up....

    Still can’t understand why Nissan have never bothered after all these years to not release a Qashqai EV


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    .
    Are Hyundai likely to release an equivalent? That’d be an EV Tucson I assume?

    Don't know, Hyundai don't have a direct equivalent.
    Some rumors of a proper EV Tucson on the way.
    dee75 wrote: »
    Any idea what price range it's likely to be in?

    In the €30-35k range.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

    Kia has committed to launching five BEVs in the next 7 years.

    1. Is the Stonic EV
    2. Is the Niro EV
    3. Is presumed to be the 2nd generation Soul EV
    4. Is rumored to be an EV Picanto
    5. Is an open question, with some rumors of larger SUVs and rumors about an EV version of the Kia Stinger
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Still can’t understand why Nissan have never bothered after all these years to not release a Qashqai EV

    Supposedly one on the way based on the B0+ based platform of the new Leaf. Will be slightly larger in all dimensions than the current Qashqai and sold as an EV-only new model.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13




  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects


    Is it actually going to look like that? Aren't they launching the Nero plug in hybrid in the next couple of weeks? It looks a lot more 'normal' than this, which I'd prefer.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Effects wrote: »
    Is it actually going to look like that? Aren't they launching the Nero plug in hybrid in the next couple of weeks? It looks a lot more 'normal' than this, which I'd prefer.

    Thats the concept, that will never make it to market


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 samih


    Concept=different wheels and plastic eyebrows on headlights. It looks like a production vehicle to me.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭ thierry14


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thats the concept, that will never make it to market

    Nah that's pretty real as said above, will make it to market

    VW ID

    They are concepts that will never make it to market, stupid looking things


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    thierry14 wrote: »
    Nah that's pretty real as said above, will make it to market

    VW ID

    They are concepts that will never make it to market, stupid looking things

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_yR-AP7aI

    You are very wise young padawan......:D

    Kia themselves are not even 100% sure if the guy can sit into the concept

    As per the interview, he didn't seem very certain about anything making it into production......

    Pointless comments about VW.....really you should test drive one:P

    P.S I do admit I watched that video before I posted first time, a little bit of research always helps before posting


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 samih


    OK, the interior will be changed from white to black too. An probably that steering wheel.

    ;-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    Effects wrote: »
    Is it actually going to look like that? Aren't they launching the Nero plug in hybrid in the next couple of weeks? It looks a lot more 'normal' than this, which I'd prefer.

    The Niro PHEV is available in the UK since Sept 2017, I think. Its the same as the existing Niro... with a plug obviously.

    This new Niro EV concept seems to be a very different looking car. I'd be surprised if we see it for 191.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭ Effects


    samih wrote: »
    Concept=different wheels and plastic eyebrows on headlights. It looks like a production vehicle to me.

    Yeah, when I look closer it does seem like stuff just tacked on to make it look futuristic.

    I had the plug in hybrid version for a few days this week. Quite liked it but then it's the first electric/hybrid I've driven.

    I signed up to GoCar just to try the BMW i3 but haven't got around to it yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    The Niro shares it's platform with the Ioniq. An EV version has been on the drawing board since day 1.

    Barring the interior, matte paint and fancy LED display on the front bumper this is basically the production car.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    cros13 wrote: »
    The Niro shares it's platform with the Ioniq. An EV version has been on the drawing board since day 1.

    Barring the interior, matte paint and fancy LED display on the front bumper this is basically the production car.

    Just go to kia.ie and look at the current Niro....you won't be far off what the electric version will look like...maybe a few small touchs but very similar, agree?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just go to kia.ie and look at the current Niro....you won't be far off what the electric version will look like...maybe a few small touchs but very similar, agree?

    Yup, grill blanked out but yeah...


  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭ denismc


    Called into a Kia dealer today and was told they will have the first EV Niro in a few months, so maybe it will be on sale by year end!!
    Also the Stonic is a much smaller car than the Niro, bit of a stretch calling it a SUV tbh


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ cros13


    denismc wrote: »
    Called into a Kia dealer today and was told they will have the first EV Niro in a few months, so maybe it will be on sale by year end!!

    I think whoever you talked to may be confused. The PHEV Niro will be in the Irish dealerships soon. The Niro EV won't be until the 191 reg.


Advertisement