Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I'm currently driving a hybrid corolla and thinking of switching to full electric.

I don't have the wallet for a Tesla, hence the corolla, so I'm wondering what my best options are.

Is this KIA a good buy, or is there anything better out there for a similar price? Mainly trips back and forth from Tipo to Dublin twice a week and then just city driving.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I'm currently driving a hybrid corolla and thinking of switching to full electric.

I don't have the wallet for a Tesla, hence the corolla, so I'm wondering what my best options are.

Is this KIA a good buy, or is there anything better out there for a similar price? Mainly trips back and forth from Tipo to Dublin twice a week and then just city driving.

It's a good car, so is the E-Soul but they are expensive and you risk huge depreciation, it's a 40K or close enough Kia.

When you think of it the base model 3 SR+ is only around 8 K more expensive.

If I were you and you do low mileage look out for cheap PCP deals, i.e low monthly payments and high balloon at the end, this means you pay as little as possible to drive the car for 3 years then at the end of year 3 you can decide what you want to do, if depreciation is a killer, flog it if not then you have the choice to refinance or pay the balloon.

I would expect the model 3 depreciation to be lower so at the end of year 3 there could be a lot less between the cost of the model 3 vs the Kia.

You could wait a year for a model 3 to come down in price, et a 2nd hand one for the cost of the new kia.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Ppl here will generally tell you the e-Niro is the best :)
    In any case, I think it's still the best buy today. This range, this size at this price is a unique combination currently.
    We'll see what options will there be next year, but today I wouldn't go for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Can you home charge at both ends (Dublin and Tipp) overnight? Assuming its 160km each way (320 total) it would be cheaper to get car with 160km range.

For example the 28kWh Ioniq used is about 20,000 euro and will reliably do 160km at motorway speeds. However it would need 4+ hours on a home charge before it could perform the return trip. You could stop at a public charger but only recommended if stuck.

Also what is your weekly mileage? You could factor in fuel savings of say 1000 per year in calculations. Then factor in depreciation. Then take a Niro used for 33,000 and you can do the round trip without charging, and probably 95% of longer trips. Is the extra 13,000 up front cost worth it? Depreciation is the main cost, maybe 2,000 per year on Ioniq, 4,000 on Niro?

The other thing is hassle factor. With the Ioniq you need to public charge more often, and public chargers are often broken, blocked or busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

Another option that is almost available is the VW ID.3.

In base form not as well equipped as a Niro, but not too shabby either. Also rear wheel drive. The base 1st ID.3 is about 7K less than the Niro.

When the series car is available to order it looks as though VW are going to be pricing aggressively so may have an impact on the prices of Kia, Hyundai etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

eagerv wrote: »
    it looks as though VW are going to be pricing aggressively so may have an impact on the prices of Kia, Hyundai etc.

That's what I'm hoping for when my PCP is up that prices crash by then.

Would be much cheaper to upgrade a 3 year old e-Niro that's only worth 10000 EUR to a brand new e-Niro/VW/etc... that costs 24000 EUR than upgrading a 3 year old e-Niro that's still worth 22000 EUR to a new e-Niro/VW/etc... that costs 44000 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd wait to see what the Skoda Enyaq is like

He'll always be waiting for the new ev just around the corner.

Until we know the depreciation on the korean cars after 3 years I would avoid paying close to 40K for a Kia as I said, the model 3 could end up being cheaper than the Korean cars if depreciation is high.

With software updates I can see the M3 hold it's value much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

He'll always be waiting for the new ev just around the corner.

Until we know the depreciation on the korean cars after 3 years I would avoid paying close to 40K for a Kia as I said, the model 3 could end up being cheaper than the Korean cars if depreciation is high.

With software updates I can see the M3 hold it's value much better.

I don't agree with you. In four years time Tesla depreciation will be more than Koreans, because of the warranty.
    TESLA
    "New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first."
    KIA
    "Kia warranty covers a period of 7 years from initial registration or 150,000 km, whichever comes first."

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Guys, silly question. Ive been driving around in my Niro for more than a month now but only getting free juice at my work place. Have never used fast charger yet.
    Do I have to register somewhere prior to using any of fast chargers, do I have to have a fob on hand or debit card is enough? Also is there a connection fee when you start charging, or flat charge per KW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭championc

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Guys, silly question. Ive been driving around in my Niro for more than a month now but only getting free juice at my work place. Have never used fast charger yet.
    Do I have to register somewhere prior to using any of fast chargers, do I have to have a fob on hand or debit card is enough? Also is there a connection fee when you start charging, or flat charge per KW?

Register with ESB and they then send out a card, although you can use the app once you have registered an account. It's a charge per Kw, with an overstay charge of €5 over 45mins

Arrived this morning from AliExpress - £30

Contrary to the instructions supplied, connect the ferrels to the bonnet brackets before connecting the brackets to the bonnet. You also need to unclip the small pin in the ferrel, connect it to the bracket and then re-insert the pin

523850.jpg
    523851.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

championc wrote: »
    Register with ESB and they then send out a card, although you can use the app once you have registered an account. It's a charge per Kw, with an overstay charge of €5 over 45mins
    if I register with EasyGo would it not work on all chargers or does it have to be ESB?

if I register with EasyGo would it not work on all chargers or does it have to be ESB?

Correct, you should not need ESB - just go with EasyGo and that permits ESB too

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Arrived this morning from AliExpress - £30

Contrary to the instructions supplied, connect the ferrels to the bonnet brackets before connecting the brackets to the bonnet. You also need to unclip the small pin in the ferrel, connect it to the bracket and then re-insert the pin

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=523850&d=1598093599
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=523851&d=1598093613

Nice one. Now just give it a reason to have those gas struts in the first place. ie. a frunk insert

Nice one. Now just give it a reason to have those gas struts in the first place. ie. a frunk insert

There's plenty of space for the charger cable where the heat pump would be, on the left side

There's plenty of space for the charger cable where the heat pump would be, on the left side

Interesting. So you could technically add a frunk for non cable stowage, and stow the cable where the heat pump should be. Though i'm not sure what would be suitable for there other than cabling. Smelly boots perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I registered for both.

DO Easy go chargers show up on the esb map ? probably not ?

Is there any single app that's accurate that has all chargers for Ireland ?

Multiple access methods, multiple apps for charger locations ? it's becoming a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Plugshare show them. I think Zap Map too, but maybe Plugshare is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

JohnC. wrote: »
    Plugshare show them. I think Zap Map too, but maybe Plugshare is better?

I had to add our local EasyGo charger to ZapMap so not sure if it'll show them all by default. I have the EasyGo app on my phone too, just in case.

I had to add our local EasyGo charger to ZapMap so not sure if it'll show them all by default. I have the EasyGo app on my phone too, just in case.

These are all the apps I have for my Niro

Is there any single app that's accurate that has all chargers for Ireland ?

EasyGo shows all of their chargers (albeit some installed in inaccessible customer premises) and all ESB chargers. I am assuming that Plugshare also include chargepoints installed by the likes of Hotels and Guesthouses - but possibly some private residences too

EasyGo shows all of their chargers (albeit some installed in inaccessible customer premises) and all ESB chargers. I am assuming that Plugshare also include chargepoints installed by the likes of Hotels and Guesthouses - but possibly some private residences too

It can show private residencies too, but simply filtered out.
    Very handy for showing hotels and bnbs with charge points. As well as saving you from checking multiple apps, and even those not in apps (apple green charge points)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

This was Kias response in relation to my JBL query

There was an error on our website regarding JBL speakers, this has since been rectified and the website now accurately reflects the spec sheet and the brochure that is available online to download and in each of our dealers, please also see attached.

We would like to apologise for our mistake and any inconvenience this has caused.

This was Kias response in relation to my JBL query

There was an error on our website regarding JBL speakers, this has since been rectified and the website now accurately reflects the spec sheet and the brochure that is available online to download and in each of our dealers, please also see attached.

We would like to apologise for our mistake and any inconvenience this has caused.

I just got the same email! They attached the proper spec sheet and nothing mentioned about the speakers. For the price I paid for the car, it's very disappointing they couldn't put a decent sound system in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

chewed wrote: »
    I just got the same email! They attached the proper spec sheet and nothing mentioned about the speakers. For the price I paid for the car, it's very disappointing they couldn't put a decent sound system in it.

Push back on them, this was my reply as its false advertising:

This is very disappointing.

I paid for a car that was advertised having a JBL system and turns out this was false advertising.

What can kia do to rectify this?

Push back on them, this was my reply as its false advertising:

This is very disappointing.

I paid for a car that was advertised having a JBL system and turns out this was false advertising.

What can kia do to rectify this?

Done, used different verbiage of course! Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

chewed wrote: »
    Done, used different verbiage of course! Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Same!

• Advertisement

I'm sure there is some kind of comeback on that alright, but better have proof. Screen shots etc.

Advertisement