Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

icom wrote: »

Interesting figures, thanks for posting.

The Niro deserves to do well, overall a great car.
    The Golf also has been selling well, better than I expected.
    Surprised that the Ioniq hasn't made a showing, seems to be selling well in other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Girl 2011

chewed wrote: »
    Maybe, but I've charged it 100% twice now and both occasions it stayed at 100% for a few kms before reducing down. It only seems to happen on 80%. I'll try it again later in the week.

Is there reason only charging to 80% rather than 100%?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Girl 2011 wrote: »

Better protects the battery, or so they say. Batteries don't like staying at a high state of charge for long periods so people have come to the conclusion that charging to 80% might help this. This being said, batteries have an upper and lower battery buffer built in, so when the car says 100% full, that's probably 96% of the actual battery capacity so you never actually charge to 100%. Though charging to 100% every now and then should help balance the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

BUT

Consider only charging to 80% on Fast DC charging, simply because the charge rate drops off massively in the mid 70's, so it would take ages to charge that last 20% when compared to the first 80%.

AC charging appears to be constant throughout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

championc wrote: »
    BUT

Consider only charging to 80% on Fast DC charging, simply because the charge rate drops off massively in the mid 70's, so it would take ages to charge that last 20% when compared to the first 80%.

AC charging appears to be constant throughout

Absolutely correct. That last 20-25% is pointless on DC fast charging really. Unless you absolutely need it.
    Kiae-Niro_022020.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Girl 2011 wrote: »

Pretty much no. When using an AC charger you may as well charge to 100%, the batteries management system is built to handle any potential degradation effects. As mentioned you may as well stop before 80% on a DC charger when the charge rate starts to drop off, but this is to save your time.

There was an interview with Hyundai when the Kona 64 came out (same battery as Niro), they introduced the cap setting primarily for people who live up hills/mountains as regen can't be as strong when the battery has a high state of charge.

liamog wrote: »
    There was an interview with Hyundai when the Kona 64 came out (same battery as Niro)

Just an FYI - while batteries are the same size, they are actually made by different manufacturers. The Kona is made by LG Chem while the Niro is made by SK Innovation. But you are correct in that both batteries are built with just over 67kw I believe - so each has a 3kw buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

I contacted Kia Ireland to ask if the speakers were JBL and this is their response...

"Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. Your vehicle is fitted with JBL Speakers, the speakers are mounted behind the door card so you may not see any labelling.

If you suspect that there is any problem with the audio system in the vehicle, please make an appointment with your Kia dealer who will be happy to investigate any concerns."

I reckon Kia have now realised the Irish website was incorrectly stating that JBL speakers were included as they've actually removed it. Below are the before and after screen shots I took, first one is from a few weeks ago and the second is from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Redlim wrote: »
    I reckon Kia have now realised the Irish website was incorrectly stating that JBL speakers were included as they've actually removed it. Below are the before and after screen shots I took, first one is from a few weeks ago and the second is from today.

Hmmmm. interesting. So, they're lying about having JBL?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Copy paste gone wrong!, at least they actually updated it when pointed out.

graememk wrote: »
    Copy paste gone wrong!, at least they actually updated it when pointed out.

Not really! If you read my previous post, Kia Ireland actually pointed out that Niro has JBL speakers installed. I had contacted them to ask, because there are no JBL logos on the speakers themselves. So, either they're lying or they don't know!

Not really! If you read my previous post, Kia Ireland actually pointed out that Niro has JBL speakers installed. I had contacted them to ask, because there are no JBL logos on the speakers themselves. So, either they're lying or they don't know!

Maybe they genuinely didn't know but upon investigating further after you queried it they realised and corrected their error - without informing you though!

For maximum longevity the idea is to charge to 70 or 80% but the main issue is keeping the battery over 80% for extended periods, batteries are stressed the longer they are kept at a high and low soc, those who charge to 100%, drive 2k to the shop come back and plug in every day will most likely see faster degradation and it might even invalidate the warranty.

I remember Nissan warned in the 2015 manual that leaving the battery over 80% for more than 2 weeks could effect warranty or something like that.

If you need to charge to 100% then do if you don't and if the car's charging timer menu makes it easy to charge to 80% or ever 70% then I see no reason why you wouldn't want to use this feature especially if you do not need the range every day.

But battery degradation isn't as much of an issue with a 350 Km EV than it was with a 100-110 Km Leaf and larger batteries are cycled less this is why there was so much of an emphasis on taking more care of the battery that is beyond the ability of any cars battery monitoring hardware/software. But if you intend to keep your ev a long time then it's wise to go the extra mile.

Maybe they genuinely didn't know but upon investigating further after you queried it they realised and corrected their error - without informing you though!

Maybe! I've just contacted them again to enquire about the JBL references being removed from the Niro webpage. I'll keep you posted.

Maybe! I've just contacted them again to enquire about the JBL references being removed from the Niro webpage. I'll keep you posted.

Great stuff, thanks. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say!

Lads, surely there's a VIN decoder ye can use to see exactly what the spec of the cars is ?

Here's a photo of the front drivers door speaker. As far as I know, I think the JBL's might have been in the PHEV, so that could have been a source for confusion.

I had a proper set of JBL's in my old Bimmer and I was considering swapping them over

523372.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dummy question :o I want to get a longer cable for convenience of my awkward driveway/laziness to park a different way.. it’s 3 phase type 2... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

tk123 wrote: »
    Dummy question :o I want to get a longer cable for convenience of my awkward driveway/laziness to park a different way.. it’s 3 phase type 2... right?

If you're just looking for a cable for home charging and don't have 3 phase at home, then a normal type 2 will be fine. If you want to use the same cable to charge at 11kW on the public network, then 3 phase is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you're just looking for a cable for home charging and don't have 3 phase at home, then a normal type 2 will be fine. If you want to use the same cable to charge at 11kW on the public network, then 3 phase is needed.

Thanks it’s just for at home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

tk123 wrote: »

More importantly make sure it’s a 32A cable regardless of whether it’s 1ph or 3ph.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    More importantly make sure it’s a 32A cable regardless of whether it’s 1ph or 3ph.
    Yeah a single phase 32amp would be much easier to handle than a three phase one... And cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

I wonder how Kia would look at these while under warranty?

Is the frunk insert allowed?
    For the cost on Ali express, if you have a frunk, those struts would be a no brainer.

Got in touch with my KIA dealer, asked about would it void my warranty if hydraulic struts installed, response was, "as long as bonnet can be opened and closed it doesnt void any warranties"

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I haven't bought it yet but this small attachment for cleaning the rear camera of rain and stuff looks good: https://camwipe.com/index.html#!/products/kia-niro-rear-camera-wiper, there be a video of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2TKG2J-Ak

Lads, has anyone not yet taken the speaker off to see if there's a JBL mark of any kind ?

IF not then I expect it's generic crap.

Anyone tried a VIN decoder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I haven't bought it yet but this small attachment for cleaning the rear camera of rain and stuff looks good: https://camwipe.com/index.html#!/products/kia-niro-rear-camera-wiper, there be a video of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2TKG2J-Ak
    I've got one. It works fine, but the finish isn't great. Looks like it's been 3D printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Alun wrote: »
    I've got one. It works fine, but the finish isn't great. Looks like it's been 3D printed.

It has. :D I've downloaded the file, but haven't printed it yet. I can't make up my mind about it.

It probably can be sanded and polished to look much better.

Lads, has anyone not yet taken the speaker off to see if there's a JBL mark of any kind ?

I did indeed take it off after my photo. Yep, it's generic crap.

I've ordered spacer adapters for 6.5" speakers. They are en-route from China, along with LED interior bulbs, the bonnet gas struts and a boot spring (whatever that is for)

• Advertisement

I didn't receive any response from Kia to my query about them removing the JBL references on the Niro webpage.

I tried a few VIN decoders, but nothing comes up. A few decoders told me my car was a Kia Carens!!!!?

Advertisement