Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I know I've asked before, but has anyone managed to install a dash cam in their eNiro? Just wondering what make, size and location would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Damn, you got me, lol. Still haven't found a proper solution for the i3. :(

Would a suction base not cover most, if not all, cars?

Would a suction base not cover most, if not all, cars?

I'm looking into it just can't seem to find anything except this but can't find a review and I'd have to get it from the states.

Sorry for thread hijacking.

NMO-SC-LG.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

chewed wrote: »
    I know I've asked before, but has anyone managed to install a dash cam in their eNiro? Just wondering what make, size and location would be best.
    Dealer moved the Phillips one from our Sportage to the Niro, we have it just to the left of the mirror.

It's wired into one of the fuses, it turns on as soon as you come close to the car, (when the wing mirrors fold out).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I moved my blackvue 430 over from hybrid -> e-niro. I had issues in the hybrid with the camera randomly rebooting when I had it wired in.. I ended up getting their battery pack to cover parking mode if I'm parked some where etc. I have the front camera on the left hand side of the mirror housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Haven't seen my car in a week <sniff> since it was towed away by the man in the yellow van. The problems started about 10 days ago, where there was no life from the 12V battery two days in a row. Quickly rectified by a call to Kia Assist (the AA) who promptly turned up and jump-started it back to life (twice), but it has since been lead away. Kia Assist were really good about the whole thing and we've had a replacement car since. Problem has been traced to issues with the 'radio' (I'm thinking infotainment system) draining power from the 12V battery. I'd have thought that the EV battery would keep it topped up, but not in this case. Did get a few 'caution' signs from the battery icon in the UVO app, but otherwise no indications that anything was wrong. Experience with the Kia dealerships has been quite.... varied... Let's just say that the principle that you buy your car in one Kia garage and can get it services in another, doesn't hold up to a lot of scrutiny.

Have you tried running "utility mode"? apparently it charges up your 12V battery. and I have been advised to do so once a month anyway to avoid dissapointments down the road.

Stefs_42 wrote:
    Have you tried running "utility mode"? apparently it charges up your 12V battery. and I have been advised to do so once a month anyway to avoid dissapointments down the road.

What's utility mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Utility mode seems to allow you to use things like air conditioning, entertainment system, draw current from charging points etc., from the EV battery (rather than the 12V battery) even when the car isn't powered on. Handy for things like picnics, or long stops, where you want to power something, and don't want to wear down the 12V battery. In our case, the car was shut-down, nothing operational. The only thing that was different from our usual usage patterns was that I'd sent a UVO instruction to the car the night before to max out the AC charging at 80%. My guess is that there's a software bug on the car firmware side, that keeps the mobile communication channels open after receiving an instruction, in specific conditions. Entirely speculative - could of course just been a dud 12V battery, or as suggested by the garage, some kind of current draw from the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Urgh, I’ve got long light scratches on the paint from a ditch. Any way to remove them?

Urgh, I’ve got long light scratches on the paint from a ditch. Any way to remove them?

I noticed a few minor scratches on my car and only had it a month. No idea how they got there as I've been quite careful (new car anxiety!!!). I find the paint on the eNiro very susceptible to scratches.

What colour is your car? Halfords have scratch removal kits in various colours.

• Advertisement

I noticed a few minor scratches on my car and only had it a month. No idea how they got there as I've been quite careful (new car anxiety!!!). I find the paint on the eNiro very susceptible to scratches.

Yeah I get that impression too, it's the platinum graphite (or something like that). You're right though, it's just new car anxiety, scratches are inevitable and all that. Still though, it bugs me!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

Halfords doesn't have your colour scratch removal kit. Go direct to Kia and order correct one by registration number for around €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I was in to look at an E-Niro today for a first EV. Looks quite a lovely car. I was weighing up Kona vs Niro vs Model 3 because I want around 400+ km range so I'm not sweating range in most of my typical journeys.

Is it a good decision. I was half keeping an eye for Ford Mach-E and Peugeot 2008-E aswell but neither have really materialised and I think i'd like to get this switch done.

Any drawbacks or things to consider? (read some of the posts on here but it's 217 pages :P )

I was in to look at an E-Niro today for a first EV. Looks quite a lovely car. I was weighing up Kona vs Niro vs Model 3 because I want around 400+ km range so I'm not sweating range in most of my typical journeys.

Is it a good decision. I was half keeping an eye for Ford Mach-E and Peugeot 2008-E aswell but neither have really materialised and I think i'd like to get this switch done.

Any drawbacks or things to consider? (read some of the posts on here but it's 217 pages :P )

I love it, I spent *ages* researching EV's and Kia was great for millions of reasons. The newer (i.e. current) model has with the expanded display is lovely. It's a pleasure to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

All YouTube reviews are correct - it's an awesome machine.

The boot of an e-Niro is bigger than the Kona. I'm not sure what AC charger the Kona has but the 11kw gives decent topup on a slow charger if you only had access to one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

I love it, I spent *ages* researching EV's and Kia was great for millions of reasons. The newer (i.e. current) model has with the expanded display is lovely. It's a pleasure to drive

like most of us here, I spent good bit of time researching EV before committing in favor of Niro. I do not regret a single moment spending over 40k, even tho I know there will be better options for EV selection in years to come. + 7 year warranty is too tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I was in the same boat as you in terms of range and car choice. Picked up my new E Niro yesterday and delighted. It's a delight to drive, lovely to sit in with all gadgets ergonomically placed on the really well put together dash, and it really is pretty on the outside too.

Thanks all. I may indeed pull the trigger. at 41 versus 62 and part exchange Kia will give me 9 for my current car were Tesla are offering 3. It makes the gap 26k and I just don't know if I'm wowed enough by the Tesla to part with 26k more. The centre screen is really nice on the Tesla, features like Sentry mode are novel and interesting but I don't know how much i "need" it.

Might need to go get a second test drive and maybe pull a trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thanks all. I may indeed pull the trigger. at 41 versus 62 and part exchange Kia will give me 9 for my current car were Tesla are offering 3. It makes the gap 26k and I just don't know if I'm wowed enough by the Tesla to part with 26k more. The centre screen is really nice on the Tesla, features like Sentry mode are novel and interesting but I don't know how much i "need" it.

Might need to go get a second test drive and maybe pull a trigger.

its not really a fair comparison

the kia niro is great but its a sensible family crossover - small suv , the tesla model 3 is a performance car , albeit a modest one compared to other tesla like X

im not saying the niro isnt the right choice but it surely involves more than a price comparison to reach a conclusion ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its not really a fair comparison

the kia niro is great but its a sensible family crossover - small suv , the tesla model 3 is a performance car , albeit a modest one compared to other tesla like X

im not saying the niro isnt the right choice but it surely involves more than a price comparison to reach a conclusion ?

Oh it does, The car is definitely sleeker, more performant but I won't be racing anytime soon :) and I don't need temptation to go stupid fast on a motorway so speed isn't a massive pull for me.

I like the idea of Sentry mode. I like the clean internal cabin of the Tesla. The screen is cool and it's nice that you can do netflix etc. I think it drives really well. I don't think the Niro was much different in drive but I wasn't pushing either car hard. The visual appeal I tip to Tesla but I don't dislike the look of the Niro either.

I think from entertainment perspective for the difference of 26k I'd rather buy the latest ipad and pay for a yearly SIM and keep the extra 24k.

Money has to play a big factor but I'm trying to see the features that would help me bridge the gap. If you've any suggestions I'm totally all ears.

• Advertisement

A lot of cash either way for a car, perhaps if doing low mileage then it makes better sense but for me I'm kinda fecked because with the new job working 5 days a week and not on shift I'm doing a lot more Kms so depreciation is going to be a killer no matter what I get.

If I were doing low mileage or the national average which is around 12,000 Kms then the 49K for the M3 would be much more attractive. But the M3 might also hold it's value a lot better than the Kia electrics. I'll be driving now around 45-50K Kms now a year.

I might keep the i3 until I can get a 2nd hand M3 Performance at a decent price but will most likely have 80,000 Kms before I can get one for 35K because spending more on a car at my mileage is mad.

The i3 is still a great car and puts a smile on my face every day which says a lot about it.

You'd also love RWD or AWD compared to FWD electric which can be a right pain in the ass especially on damp and wet roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Exciting times, new Niro EV just registered with revenue, hoping to pick it up Friday! Excited to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Exciting times, new Niro EV just registered with revenue, hoping to pick it up Friday! Excited to get it!

I feel your excitement, I'm joining the club and picking mine up this week also! Nice to be able to avail of the 2% vat reduction from today.

Been researching EVs for the past 3 years (largely lurking here!) so it's almost a relief to have finally taken the plunge!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Redlim wrote: »
    I feel your excitement, I'm joining the club and picking mine up this week also! Nice to be able to avail of the 2% vat reduction from today.

Been researching EVs for the past 3 years (largely lurking here!) so it's almost a relief to have finally taken the plunge!

Oh yeah, forgot about the VAT thing. What's the new e-niro price at the lower VAT level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Oh yeah, forgot about the VAT thing. What's the new e-niro price at the lower VAT level?

Looks like a reduction of 795 from the previous price list.

Updated September price list from Kia lists it as 38,700 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭fafy

Had a look across multiple cars, including electric cars, and the vat reduction, equates roughly to a €200 reduction, for each €10,000 of the original Pre September 1st price, so a 30k EGolf, has dropped about €600, 40k eNiro, has dropped about €800 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

ethernet wrote: »
    Looks like a reduction of 795 from the previous price list.

Updated September price list from Kia lists it as 38,700 now.

Is that on the road price? When I was looking a few months ago they had a hefty delivery fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭fafy

eagerv wrote: »
    Is that on the road price? When I was looking a few months ago they had a hefty delivery fee.

That price, is before delivery. Metallic paint costs €600, i would expect delivery to be around a similar amount.

https://www.kia.com/api/bin/docDownload?program=brochure&locale=ie&path=%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fkwcms%2Fkme%2Fie%2Fen%2Fassets%2Fcontents%2Futilty%2Fbrochure%2Fprice-list%2FPrice-List-September-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

fafy wrote: »

Have they dropped their prices by more than 2%? I was quoted €41500 incl delivery and related prices just pre covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have hopped aboard the eNiro train also - picking up on Saturday.

Advertisement