Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

championc wrote: »
    I did indeed take it off after my photo. Yep, it's generic crap.

TBH, I'm not overly impressed with the sound in the car, so I'm not surprised it's generic.

Did you say you were going to replace them? Is it an easy job?

So Kia advertise JBL and there's no JBL ? That's insane.

The speakers do look like generic muck but they should be easy replace.

I did indeed take it off after my photo. Yep, it's generic crap.

I've ordered spacer adapters for 6.5" speakers. They are en-route from China, along with LED interior bulbs, the bonnet gas struts and a boot spring (whatever that is for)

Good stuff. Keep us posted on the updates. I'd be curious to know how easy it is to replace speakers, including all the bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Redlim

So Kia advertise JBL and there's no JBL ? That's insane.

The speakers do look like generic muck but they should be easy replace.

They removed any mention of JBL from the website only in the last week or so as shown in my before and after screen shots.

Maybe this was after chewed from here queried it with Kia directly - and was actually told by Kia that JBLs were indeed installed!

Redlim wrote: »
    They removed any mention of JBL from the website only in the last week or so as shown in my before and after screen shots.

Maybe this was after chewed from here queried it with Kia directly - and was actually told by Kia that JBLs were indeed installed!

Maybe more of us should contact them to ask the same question!

https://www.kia.com/ie/contact/form/#/

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Maybe more of us should contact them to ask the same question!

https://www.kia.com/ie/contact/form/#/

Yep I'll send them a message also

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I completed a 6500km road trip with the e-Niro. What a solid car!
    Only used Ionity apart from 3-4 occasions. (returned just in time before Ionity increased their prices to 73.11 ct/kWh on MainGau)

xboxdad wrote: »
    Only used Ionity apart from 3-4 occasions. (returned just in time before Ionity increased their prices to 73.11 ct/kWh on MainGau)

Wow, that's some trip! Where did you go?

Nice! Was the car fully loaded up for the trip? Any roof box attached? Would be interested in rough efficiency figures if you have them.

Hadn't realised Maingau was increasing the price already.

Wow, that's some trip! Where did you go?

Italy (drove through a lot of countries of course - so self-isolating).
    It was the MainGau card that saved me on the Enel X chargers where their own app and all my charging cards (approx 8 of them) failed. So it's sad to see Ionity pulling the lower prices from MainGau.

• Advertisement

Italy (drove through a lot of countries of course - so self-isolating).
    It was the MainGau card that saved me on the Enel X chargers where their own app and all my charging cards (approx 8 of them) failed. So it's sad to see Ionity pulling the lower prices from MainGau.

Great stuff. Coincidentally I just watched 2 videos about Mr EV's experience driving from England to Italy in the Niro. The fact he had a kid and dog with him added to stress!

Nice! Was the car fully loaded up for the trip? Any roof box attached? Would be interested in rough efficiency figures if you have them.

3 adult sized ppl + fully loaded trunk. Top speed is 180 as per the speedometer, tried legally a few times just to find out. Car accelerates to 180 pretty easily, so I believe it's a software limitation.

No roof box.

Ah, I don't have efficiency figures as I was as careful as I had to be based on the next Ionity charger's distance from me. (sometimes 150km away, sometimes 280km away)
    Mountains are scary as your available range appears to disappear while you're driving uphill for a lot of kms, but then it works out pretty OK on average when you finish with the mountain.

In any case, I can tell you that I always reserved 21kWh for 100km and it never failed me at 130km/h.
    It's a long enough drive to do 2-300km in one sitting anyways. You're not going to do 130km/h on average in most cases even if you're on motorways (road works all over Europe, narrow lanes with speed limits, etc...)
    I did keep a very close eye on my actual consumption so that I could tune back on my style if it was getting much worse than anticipated.

Cruise control in the e-Niro is amazing. I felt like a passenger most of the time, not a driver. (I did steer, I don't like auto-steering of any sort)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

Good stuff. Keep us posted on the updates. I'd be curious to know how easy it is to replace speakers, including all the bits and pieces.

It's a doddle. Just remove two screws from in the door handle and the door handle coin holder, then pull the inside door panel off the door frame, which is held in place by about 8 clips

3 adult sized ppl + fully loaded trunk. Top speed is 180 as per the speedometer, tried legally a few times just to find out. Car accelerates to 180 pretty easily, so I believe it's a software limitation.

No roof box.

Ah, I don't have efficiency figures as I was as careful as I had to be based on the next Ionity charger's distance from me. (sometimes 150km away, sometimes 280km away)
    Mountains are scary as your available range appears to disappear while you're driving uphill for a lot of kms, but then it works out pretty OK on average when you finish with the mountain.

In any case, I can tell you that I always reserved 21kWh for 100km and it never failed me at 130km/h.
    It's a long enough drive to do 2-300km in one sitting anyways. You're not going to do 130km/h on average in most cases even if you're on motorways (road works all over Europe, narrow lanes with speed limits, etc...)
    I did keep a very close eye on my actual consumption so that I could tune back on my style if it was getting much worse than anticipated.

Cruise control in the e-Niro is amazing. I felt like a passenger most of the time, not a driver. (I did steer, I don't like auto-steering of any sort)

Great info, thanks. Not a bit jealous 😉

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Great stuff. Coincidentally I just watched 2 videos about Mr EV's experience driving from England to Italy in the Niro. The fact he had a kid and dog with him added to stress!

The man can NOT do units. I've seen an eNiro video where he's looking at abetterouteplanner and he's using km not miles and doesn't realise. Only made it 6 minutes into the first video above and he says his first charge cost £18.38 or €16.83. I'd love that exchange rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Yep I'll send them a message also

Sent them a message now also

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Done Dublin - Kerry return trip with a roof box. Dublin to Cashel was around 17kWh/100km. Cruise set to 111km/h.

Off motorway Cashel to Killarney was about 15kWh/100km at lower but varying speeds. Getting quite good efficiency since due to driving carefully and not really over 120km/h.

SW Kerry to Cashel leg of return trip was 206km and used 50% SoC. 15.5kWh/h climbing from sea level through the Ballaghisheen Pass, which is a beautiful drive by the way.

damn shame it can't charge faster......

damn shame it can't charge faster......

Yeah, I think we should only start paying petrol prices for Ionity when it charges at petrol speed. End-to-end. No matter who's fault it is we're not there yet. ...but we're not there yet. ...except with the pricing. Probably 5-10 years too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Yeah, I think we should only start paying petrol prices for Ionity when it charges at petrol speed. End-to-end. No matter who's fault it is we're not there yet. ...but we're not there yet. ...except with the pricing. Probably 5-10 years too early.

Good point

Grand paying €40 ( 73c per kWh if not an Ionity member car ) to fill a 60kWh Niro if it took 10 mins

Paying €40 and having to wait guts of an hour isn't too enticing

For the guys like Mad_Lad with hyrbids/rex's make's even less sense charging

Would cost him €15 and 30 mins or so to get 100km motorway range on Ionity

Petrol will cost him €7 and 2mins to get 100km motorway range

Thought with all those millions in EU grants and renewables wind/solar electric etc charging would be cheaper than petrol at large service stations

Makes no sense to me

I suppose a 350kW EV charging station does more than my house lol

• Advertisement

Won't be petrol speeds, but I guess Ionity has its place. In a Kona/eNiro maxing out at ~75kW vs ESB at 50kW it's not a huge speed increase for the cost increase, but a model 3 SR+ for example should charge around 150kW until ~25%, then taper down to 100kW up to ~60% all the way to 50kW somewhere over 75% battery where it charges around the same as a kona/niro.

Super rough maths (using fastned graphs, which are power from the unit, not what the car consumes, so the times will be longer than below, maybe 10% more).
    From 25% to 80% that's ~ 17 minutes in the Model 3 at ionity. ~40 minutes at ESB.
    From 25% to 80% that's ~ 30 minutes in the eNiro. ~42 minutes from ESB.

For the amount of times i'd use ionity and have to pay that premium, if I had a model 3 SR+ i'd probably prefer to save myself 20+ minutes. I'd probably spend more in the shop in those 20+ minutes than the price difference between ESB and Ionity.

Won't be petrol speeds, but I guess Ionity has its place. In a Kona/eNiro maxing out at ~75kW vs ESB at 50kW it's not a huge speed increase for the cost increase, but a model 3 SR+ for example should charge around 150kW until ~25%, then taper down to 100kW up to ~60% all the way to 50kW somewhere over 75% battery where it charges around the same as a kona/niro.

Super rough maths (using fastned graphs, which are power from the unit, not what the car consumes, so the times will be longer than below, maybe 10% more).
    From 25% to 80% that's ~ 17 minutes in the Model 3 at ionity. ~40 minutes at ESB.
    From 25% to 80% that's ~ 30 minutes in the eNiro. ~42 minutes from ESB.

For the amount of times i'd use ionity and have to pay that premium, if I had a model 3 SR+ i'd probably prefer to save myself 20+ minutes. I'd probably spend more in the shop in those 20+ minutes than the price difference between ESB and Ionity.

Based on this logic where do you reckon prices will be when cars & stations will be able to charge 10x faster than today? 5x-10x of the cost of a tank of petrol?

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Good point

Grand paying €40 ( 73c per kWh if not an Ionity member car ) to fill a 60kWh Niro if it took 10 mins

Paying €40 and having to wait guts of an hour isn't too enticing

For the guys like Mad_Lad with hyrbids/rex's make's even less sense charging

Would cost him €15 and 30 mins or so to get 100km motorway range on Ionity

Petrol will cost him €7 and 2mins to get 100km motorway range

Thought with all those millions in EU grants and renewables wind/solar electric etc charging would be cheaper than petrol at large service stations

Makes no sense to me

I suppose a 350kW EV charging station does more than my house lol

@ mins to get me 100 kms ? well maybe a but more if you count going in to pay for petrol but I can fill the little tank in around 8-10 seconds. :D That would get me 100-130 alone on Petrol.

But you're right, unless I have to stop and eat I won't use the chargers, there's no point but if I need around 18 Kwh/100 Kms average that would cost 5.94 compared to Petrol @1.30 x 8 litres =10.40 so on the ESB chargers it's cheaper than Petrol in the rex by around half.

I wouldn't however wait in a queue. One of the greatest reasons I'm thinking of keeping the Rex is due to the poor charging infrastructure, that and to make the car earn me money for a few years for a change, I'm doing too many kms and the battery is doing great, I will have to rely on the Rex more in Winter for my commute now because I don't have work charging any more and I don't want to have to slow down to get home.

It will be good and interesting to see Hyundai release 800 volt tech next year and probably available to buy end of 2021.

I don't use the public infrastructure much but I would pay for a good fast and abundant network, it would be a pain in the ass to have to wait 1 hr then have to pay for charging. That's one thing I never have to worry about with the rex.

For those interested in a speaker upgrade the JBL's - https://m.blog.naver.com/callmeho/221477116663

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

For those interested in a speaker upgrade the JBL's - https://m.blog.naver.com/callmeho/221477116663

Are you going to change yours? Be interesting to see what difference you think it makes

Are you going to change yours? Be interesting to see what difference you think it makes

The difference I had on my Bimmer was enough to make me look into this so soon on the e-Niro. I've spacers coming from China via AliExpress, but it was difficult to tell if they are the size I need. You cannot really butcher up the existing speakers. I'm no speaker guru so I'll just go with the JBL GX600C's unless someone else has another recommendation.

Decent upgrade to undertake, though my knowledge of audio wiring is pretty non existent. Not sure i'd have the stones to do it following a translated Korean guide. Is he wiring everything back to that controller in the door? The passengers side door? The tweeter on the dash (at the charging lights)? Or are there 2 of those controllers (1 per door)?

Decent upgrade to undertake, though my knowledge of audio wiring is pretty non existent. Not sure i'd have the stones to do it following a translated Korean guide. Is he wiring everything back to that controller in the door? The passengers side door? The tweeter on the dash (at the charging lights)? Or are there 2 of those controllers (1 per door)?

The "controllers" are called crossovers, and subdivide the audio signal between the main speaker and the tweeter. It's not clear from the photos as to where the tweeter wiring goes but irrespective of where is might go now, the tweeter will need to be wired down from the dash to the crossover mounted on the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The "controllers" are called crossovers, and subdivide the audio signal between the main speaker and the tweeter. It's not clear from the photos as to where the tweeter wiring goes but irrespective of where is might go now, the tweeter will need to be wired down from the dash to the crossover mounted on the door.

Isn't that why he put new tweeters on the A pillar door trim; so that he can keep the wiring in the door? It looks like they wire back to the unit fitted in the door.

Some interesting stuff at that site. :)

Advertisement