Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Thanks all,

I called the LA and got a similar response, that they haven't heard back from PAS. I was asked if a medical was completed and I said I had just been vetted that there was no mention of a medical from PAS (From what I seen anyway). So no rough timeframes or anything given, when I asked about start dates or when they hoped to make contact. Lady I spoke to did mention sending out contracts when I asked about next stage after PAS contacts them

I'll be holding off on notice for the minute so, I am eager to hand it in but it could cause major hassle and awkwardness if this drags on much longer.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

Is there a POC in PAS that can be contacted? Like it is very unfair to put successful candidates in private sector in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Nyx122 wrote: »
    That’s just crazy. I really hope after the wait we’ve been through and all our checks we won’t be going through all of that again. I doubt my management will give another reference without at least getting my notice first.
    Didn’t justjake get his offer/start date? It really seems to be a mess and huge lack of communication.
    Just_Jake wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got a call from the county council today and agreeded my start date. My vetting came back last Thursday so a quick turn around. They basically called made a formal offer and asked about how much notice I needed to give. They wanted me to start by mid June. From the conversation I would say it will vary from county to county but if your vetting is done and references checked I’d expect a call shortly. I’m set to start the 11th of June in the business support unit. Best of luck :)

Yeah Justjake's (post above) is only mention of a start date I've seen so far on here, was hoping someone else got word in the meantime

I only got my letter on friday. No call from the LA yet. Thanks to everyone on the forum for updating people.If it wasn't for this forum I'd have no idea what to expect!The uncertainty of the last few months hasn't been fair on anyone.Good luck to everyone and I hope we get our start dates soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Got call off LA last week with official offer in post too. Just need medical and to give my projected start date.

Also I mentioned that references and vetting was already done to the HR person, he contacted PAS and said that would count and I didn’t need it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Got call off LA last week with official offer in post too. Just need medical and to give my projected start date.

Also I mentioned that references and vetting was already done to the HR person, he contacted PAS and said that would count and I didn’t need it again.

Thanks for this info.

So strange how some LAs are on a totally different track with this than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I'd completely given up on this job, then today I got a call offering me Wicklow! It wasn't on my list of preferences but they must not have anybody for it, i had all Dublin in mine. I'm in 2 minds what to do, living in Artane so don't know if it's a manageable commute

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Midlandian

Lads I'm really starting to freak out about this now. I got the call 4 weeks ago saying I got my first choice, and was told on phone and by email to contact my council for info about the start date. I immediately rang and spoke to the HR guy, he said he had no idea and had heard nothing from PAS. My employer has been contacted for references etc. Got the letter from PAS last week so rang the council HR guy again, again he said he had still received no info, no names, no idea of start dates. The interviews for my replacement at my current job start next week! Looks like I'll be signing on for a few weeks!

Midlandian wrote: »
    Lads I'm really starting to freak out about this now. I got the call 4 weeks ago saying I got my first choice, and was told on phone and by email to contact my council for info about the start date. I immediately rang and spoke to the HR guy, he said he had no idea and had heard nothing from PAS. My employer has been contacted for references etc. Got the letter from PAS last week so rang the council HR guy again, again he said he had still received no info, no names, no idea of start dates. The interviews for my replacement at my current job start next week! Looks like I'll be signing on for a few weeks!

Oh that’s terrible. :(
    I’m freaking out myself here to be honest, work is quiet & there’s talk about getting rid of someone (not me) so I was hoping I got the notice in before they do something drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

tgdaly wrote: »
    I'd completely given up on this job, then today I got a call offering me Wicklow! It wasn't on my list of preferences but they must not have anybody for it, i had all Dublin in mine. I'm in 2 minds what to do, living in Artane so don't know if it's a manageable commute

If it was Bray or Greystones, the DART would give you a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Midlandian

Nyx122 wrote: »
    Oh that’s terrible. :(
    I’m freaking out myself here to be honest, work is quiet & there’s talk about getting rid of someone (not me) so I was hoping I got the notice in before they do something drastic.

Oh god, that's an awful predicament too! Really not too impressed with how this played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

Midlandian wrote: »

I’m the same, my manager keeps asking “When are you going?” and it’s getring a bit embarrassing now saying “I don’t know”. I really thought this would have moved a long a lot smoother than it has or that we would have some kind of information about general ideas of start dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

I received a call back from my LA, following on from my call to them this morning, to say that they had received the recommendation from PAS.
    I was advised that I would need to complete a medical but that they couldn't give any date as they want to talk to other new starters as well and for us to be done at the same time so they would send on information once they were all received from PAS.
    I was told that there was a possibility of a late June/early July start date but that was not to be taken as definite yet. Further to this, it was mentioned that there would be some training with the IPA collectively in Dublin, more than likely in July but again there was nothing definite there date wise.
    I explained that I would have notice to work once I handed my notice in my present job.

The waiting is driving me mad but just have to keep waiting until I hear further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

I'm getting nervous now. I have annual leave booked for July but from the sounds of some people above may not even have a start date by then.
    I agree it is awkward at work for all involved because like others mentioned above the replacements are being interviewed and no idea when we will be leaving and starting. I always thought that reference checks were done at the same time as issuing a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Got my letter 15 minutes ago could not be happier. Now to pick one of the 6 affordable houses in tipperary to rent.

Would anyone happen to know if 'Flexible Working' policy is available for us?

In terms of school drop-off in the morning, it would be a great assistance.

Anyone else get any more feedback today?

Anyone else get any more feedback today?

Nothing since my letter of last Thursday

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If it was Bray or Greystones, the DART would give you a chance.
    The guy on the phone said Blessington, but the main office is wicklow town and there's another in Bray so I rang back today to see if he could find out for definite. Bray would be ideal, Blessington I could manage. Wicklow town I'll have to say no. I'll wait and see

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Would anyone happen to know if 'Flexible Working' policy is available for us?

In terms of school drop-off in the morning, it would be a great assistance.

As per above, I actually asked the guy on the phone about this as well because I'd probably need a bit of leeway for Blessington. He just said he didn't know that it would basically be up to the council themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

Does anyone have any idea of the dates of training/ induction that we are all meant to attend? I'm hoping not mid-July as I have a trip booked...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

lukiluc wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of the dates of training/ induction that we are all meant to attend? I'm hoping not mid-July as I have a trip booked...

Well if it’s approaching the last day of June and they still haven’t asked us if we have any holidays planned that’s their problem really! It certainly couldn’t be held against people who have genuine plans I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Phoebeleft

I've two weeks holidays booked in July since January in my present job so I'm sticking with that plan regardless. We won't be the only ones who have planned July holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

My LA was in touch today through email to tell me that my contract will be posted in the next few days and once I have a read of it I should contact them again and we will agree a start date.

Daisy89 wrote: »
    My LA was in touch today through email to tell me that my contract will be posted in the next few days and once I have a read of it I should contact them again and we will agree a start date.

That’s great Daisy, at least you’ve gotten somewhere :)

I have just heard about my start date. Its early July and the training is on the 2nd week of July.

Lovelemons wrote: »
    I have just heard about my start date. Its early July and the training is on the 2nd week of July.

Congrats, did they call you or was it a letter in the post?

Thanks I'm delighted. I tried to call but there was no answer so I sent an email to the hr department and they were very prompt with their reply and all the dates. Salary details etc.
    I have to complete a medical and they will be in touch but my main thing was I wanted to be able to let the current employer have a bit of notice.

• Advertisement

Hey guys! I rang my LA today and they said that they will be in touch soon about a medical and once the results of that come back they will be in touch with a start date.This campaign seems like a very slow process. Does anyone else have to do a medical?

Advertisement