Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Is there anyone on this thread who has heard nothing about a Start Date yet?

My contact with the Local Authority so far has been... we're awaiting guidance from PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

No, no start date yet. But PAS gave impression it's out of their hands now- and up to local authority to work out start dates, contracts, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

tgdaly wrote: »
    Did absolutely everyone have to do a medical or is it up to the local authority themselves whether they want you to or not? I only got my offer quite late, in fact my Garda vetting only came back last week so I'm hoping there isn't too much more that will delay it, especially if there is training in the 2nd week of July as people have said

I didn’t have to do a medical either!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Just on the phone to my council there. I was told my start date may not be until the 1st or 2nd week of August, basically because the person who will be my line manager is only starting next week and they want to give her a while to bed in. I also have to do a medical, send on an original birth certificate (which I just had to order online) my original degree scroll (which I'll have to try and root out), and send on references again. More bloody red tape!

tgdaly wrote: »
    Just on the phone to my council there. I was told my start date may not be until the 1st or 2nd week of August, basically because the person who will be my line manager is only starting next week and they want to give her a while to bed in. I also have to do a medical, send on an original birth certificate (which I just had to order online) my original degree scroll (which I'll have to try and root out), and send on references again. More bloody red tape!

Surely they know that PAS already completed a full suite of e-Vetting and reference checks.....

Do you still attend the 10th and 11th July Croke Park induction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Surely they know that PAS already completed a full suite of e-Vetting and reference checks.....

The recruiter in my LA advised me that the training is indeed scheduled for 10th & 11th July but not all graduates will have started by that date, so there may be further training dates scheduled. She said if you have started before then you will more than likely be sent on the training in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    The recruiter in my LA advised me that the training is indeed scheduled for 10th & 11th July but not all graduates will have started by that date, so there may be further training dates scheduled. She said if you have started before then you will more than likely be sent on the training in July.

I won’t have started by the training but they asked me to go if I can, which I’m trying to arrange.

Anyone have any idea re the accommodation? It is very expensive in Dublin as summertime & to be just told they’re not sure if I can claim it back isn’t good enough really.

Nyx122 wrote: »
    I won’t have started by the training but they asked me to go if I can, which I’m trying to arrange.

Anyone have any idea re the accommodation? It is very expensive in Dublin as summertime & to be just told they’re not sure if I can claim it back isn’t good enough really.

I would also like to know and I have emailed the woman in personnel who's handling my contract etc asking about this and I haven't had a response yet. Will post if I do.

Yea I emailed too so will let you know if I get a respsonse also.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Yeah still have to go those days for training, lucky enough my current employers seem to ok with it. Although the lady did say to me that they were fairly sure there would be a repeat of the training sometime in August because of all the delays, so worst case scenario if people are still waiting for start dates or can't go have holiday etc hopefully there's another opportunity

• Advertisement

I was just called by my LA and asked when I am available to start- I said asap. I was not unfortunately given a start date. I'm hoping they get back to me with one soon. I'll attend the training in July whether I've started work already or not...

I am starting July 12th. It would have been earlier but my line manager has a holiday planned. Thwyre making my official first day the 10th as I’ll be attending the training in Dublin. No idea what the arrangement for that is yet. Have asked if I’m supposed to sort accommodation myself and have had no response yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MazElmo

This thread is basically the only thing keeping me sane with this whole process. I have an appointment for a medical next Wednesday - do the LA usually contact you pretty quickly after your medical is completed, in yer experience? If I have to go to Dublin I'll have to start budgeting this week to stay up there

MazElmo wrote: »
    This thread is basically the only thing keeping me sane with this whole process. I have an appointment for a medical next Wednesday - do the LA usually contact you pretty quickly after your medical is completed, in yer experience? If I have to go to Dublin I'll have to start budgeting this week to stay up there

Yeah thank god for there being others in the same boat to track updates!

I was asked to come in to sign a contract the day after my medical. The doctor should tell you there and then that you’re being marked as fit to work and it’s just a case of someone in admin then sending the cert along to your LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MazElmo

Oh brilliant thanks! I'm definitely gonna have one of those frenetic 'need office shoes' shopping trips coming up so, good to know that it can be that quick
    Yeah thank god for there being others in the same boat to track updates!

I was asked to come in to sign a contract the day after my medical. The doctor should tell you there and then that you’re being marked as fit to work and it’s just a case of someone in admin then sending the cert along to your LA.

Hi guys, thanks for all updates here some updates from my side:

My LA are still getting contracts organized.

My start date is after the induction days but I will be attending them.

Told to hang onto receipts for accommodation so should be covered.

Medical scheduled for this week.

Expected Start Date is in mid-July.

Forward momentum :)

I just got an unconfirmed start date of July 9th. Hurray! So just before the training dates. Very good- looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

9 July as well :D See ye all at training.

Has anyone had luck sourcing reasonable accommodation for the training?

• Advertisement

Has anyone had luck sourcing reasonable accommodation for the training?

I got a b&b nearby as I was told there’s a maximum rate that would be paid & all the hotels over it

Nyx122 wrote: »
    I got a b&b nearby as I was told there’s a maximum rate that would be paid & all the hotels over it

Yeah I went a bit over budget with the hotel I eventually booked but at least I’ll be getting the majority back!

Yeah I went a bit over budget with the hotel I eventually booked but at least I’ll be getting the majority back!

Yea I actually just did the same after I posted last time as reading bad trip advisor reviews on the other place so cancelled, have to pay a bit myself but worth the comfort. Dublin is so outrageous.

If you want a cheap room that's near Croke Park (walking), Gardener Street might be worth a look.

Caution: it will be hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Training dates are staying the same 10th and 11th but they have changed the place to Havelock Suite in the Aviva Stadium. Don't know why.

9Reeds wrote: »
    Training dates are staying the same 10th and 11th but they have changed the place to Havelock Suite in the Aviva Stadium. Don't know why.

Any idea of a dress code? Public Sector tends to be smart casual or business casual.... but it might be a suit day

Any idea of a dress code? Public Sector tends to be smart casual or business casual.... but it might be a suit day

I was wondering the same myself. My best guess would be along the lines of smart casual. If you take a look at the training days from the last lot of graduates in 2014, here’s what they were wearing:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Local_Gov_Update.pdf

Well that’s annoying after booking a hotel near Croke Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

The Royals are visiting Dublin and are visiting croke park I think. So security would be a nightmare!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Allatsea

Butlers Townhouse is not bad, its only a few euro above the accommadation allowance @€;140.00 (room only price) on hotel.com or ebookers.com. However, They do have a free small carpark (1st come, 1st served) for overnight guests. Its located only across the road from the Aviva Stadium. You can also use the meal rate towards your accommodation; for those that are eligible.

Advertisement