Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has received any definitive news since last Friday. I haven't heard a peep.

I received my contract on Friday. Signed and returned it yesterday. Starting on Friday 29th. No word of medical at all for me. My reversion to CO and secondment were also sorted yesterday.

Have a feeling the training in July could be postponed if there are still so many people waiting to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

I have been asked to drop in my original listed qualifications, which I had already had sent to PAS but going to drop in with them in a little while and see if there is any further update.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

No. No news here either. The interminable wait goes on... will post if i have news...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Just got my start date there for early July and just waiting on forms to be emailed.
    Glad to get that and put the mind to rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

Got call, medical arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Allatsea

Try not to worry folks, Some people are starting on Monday 18th & have to receive any written information about the employment contract/terms & conditions etc. i.e. (the hours or location of the employment); Only where to be on Monday morning. If you received your start date verbally from the LA, then just go with that. Some LA's are looking for Medical's/Qualifications/Vetting verifications, while others are accepting the applicants word of those conducted by the PAS. It is however frustrating for everyone in what has been a very long process of application, to have such a chaotic/unstructured end to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Allatsea wrote: »
    Try not to worry folks, Some people are starting on Monday 18th & have to receive any written information about the employment contract/terms & conditions etc. i.e. (the hours or location of the employment); Only where to be on Monday morning. If you received your start date verbally from the LA, then just go with that. Some LA's are looking for Medical's/Qualifications/Vetting verifications, while others are accepting the applicants word of those conducted by the PAS. It is however frustrating for everyone in what has been a very long process of application, to have such a chaotic/unstructured end to the process.

I've settled down and raised a family since I first applied. My eldest is thinking of applying for the next intake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

shineon23 wrote: »
    I've settled down and raised a family since I first applied. My eldest is thinking of applying for the next intake :P

Haha this is so true!! :p

I finally got asked to do my medical today (scheduled for next week). I guess there is no ball-park as to how long the start-date announcement takes thereafter since most seem to still be awaiting theirs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukiluc

I've been informed that training days on July 10 and 11 will take place in Croke Park, by my Local Authority- not the LGMA...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

Are we all training in Croke Park then? Must sort out accommodation as I'm coming from down the country. Glad I've got a friend with a spare bed I should be able to get. Did anyone else hear Croke Park or are we training in different places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SaltandPeppers

Was waiting for my phone call and came home to my contract in the post, saying I’m starting in two weeks! I’m so surprised. Gonna ring them and say I need to give four weeks notice. Anyone told your local authority about holidays booked? I’ve just over two weeks in August! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Was waiting for my phone call and came home to my contract in the post, saying I’m starting in two weeks! I’m so surprised. Gonna ring them and say I need to give four weeks notice. Anyone told your local authority about holidays booked? I’ve just over two weeks in August! 😬

Yea, I’m away a week after I start. No issues from their side. Just a shame I’ll have used nearly all my days after a weeks work 😂

9Reeds wrote: »
    Are we all training in Croke Park then? Must sort out accommodation as I'm coming from down the country. Glad I've got a friend with a spare bed I should be able to get. Did anyone else hear Croke Park or are we training in different places?

Is this definitely everyone? For people who don’t live in Dublin I presume they would be covering travel and accommodation costs.

I dug this out online. It might be something like this in July I presume:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Local_Gov_Update.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I got my Letter of Recommendation on 22nd May. That's over three weeks ago.

Unfortunately there is no news from the Local Authority. I made contact and was instructed to wait for an update.

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    Is this definitely everyone? For people who don’t live in Dublin I presume they would be covering travel and accommodation costs.

I’m not sure if this is for everyone. When scheduling my medical for early next week i was asked to give a start date which with my notice after these dates, to which I was told fine & they didn’t mention this at all.

Nothing major but I wonder if anyone has been re-imbursed for the medical? I was surprised when asked to pay €75 as I wasn’t expecting to be charged !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Nothing major but I wonder if anyone has been re-imbursed for the medical? I was surprised when asked to pay €75 as I wasn’t expecting to be charged !

The last medical I took was covered by the employer "on account". No cash changed hands.

Most employers have a panel of preferred GPs that you must attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Had mine last week and cost was covered by the local authority.

shineon23 wrote: »
    Had mine last week and cost was covered by the local authority.

This was set up by my LA at their preferred location and the receptionist surprised me by asking me to pay. I was expecting it to be covered on account as it should be!

• Advertisement

Mine was twice the price of yours Sharon!! & paid for myself, think we can claim it back tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

I was told in email that I'd have to pay but you can claim it back when you start the job. And I've no other updates.

Was also told accommodation would be arranged on my behalf for the trip to the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Nyx122 wrote: »
    Mine was twice the price of yours Sharon!! & paid for myself, think we can claim it back tho.

Was it a very thorough medical? 150 euro sounds alot

Lovelemons wrote: »
    Was it a very thorough medical? 150 euro sounds alot

Yea thorough enough like but nothing completely out of the ordinary, couldn’t believe it myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Did absolutely everyone have to do a medical or is it up to the local authority themselves whether they want you to or not? I only got my offer quite late, in fact my Garda vetting only came back last week so I'm hoping there isn't too much more that will delay it, especially if there is training in the 2nd week of July as people have said

tgdaly wrote: »
    Did absolutely everyone have to do a medical or is it up to the local authority themselves whether they want you to or not? I only got my offer quite late, in fact my Garda vetting only came back last week so I'm hoping there isn't too much more that will delay it, especially if there is training in the 2nd week of July as people have said

I didn't have to do one.

Does anyone know if there are opportunities for working your way up in the civil service after this 3 year contract?I'm confused if it's part of the civil service because the civil service recruited us.I'm hoping there are good prospects!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9Reeds

My vague plan is to work really hard only on this for the first 2 years and then in the 3rd year apply for other higher payed civil service jobs I feel qualified for. At the same time I will be asking my council their plans for me for the end of that year. Better to get ahead of the end of the 3rd year rather than starting the search the day you find out there is no place for you where you are.

Does anyone know if there are opportunities for working your way up in the civil service after this 3 year contract?I'm confused if it's part of the civil service because the civil service recruited us.I'm hoping there are good prospects!

I was told the job finishes after 3 years. If the job is still needed I will have to interview for the job. But there is no guarantee that the Local Authority will require the role after 3 years.

• Advertisement

I’ve just been informed re the training dates 10/11th & also told she was unsure whether I would be reimbursed for the cost of accommodation to attend.

Advertisement