Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Opportunities in Local Government 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Baby4 wrote: »

I'm one day behind you with the vetting so hopefully that means mine might clear today. Been refreshing the tracking page a ridiculous number of times so it would be great for my mental health if it got updated!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Congrats Just_Jake

Still no sign here of a letter from PAS to say I am completed with them and information sent to LA. Was hoping to be past that stage but the wait continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

I'm still waiting for garda vetting to start. Sent my info last Thursday. And was returned to me on Monday. No email saying it has started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Daisy89

Congrats Just_Jake

Still no sign here of a letter from PAS to say I am completed with them and information sent to LA. Was hoping to be past that stage but the wait continues!

I’m the same, Vetting and reference check all done by Monday morning so I thought id have got a letter by today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferney

Does anybody know the situation regarding pension entitlement for this role? As it's a three-year contract and I am not coming from a public sector background, I am not sure if I could become a member of Single Public Service Pension Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Ferney wrote: »
    Does anybody know the situation regarding pension entitlement for this role? As it's a three-year contract and I am not coming from a public sector background, I am not sure if I could become a member of Single Public Service Pension Scheme.

I'm actually not sure and would like to know the benefits myself as this point all I'm aware of is the salary and annual leave entitlements. Hopefully it'll be in our contracts (whenever we get them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I received my letter of recommendation from PAS this morning.

It's down to the local Council now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nyx122

Nearly a week since I got my letter & no word yet from LA.. reached out earlier in the week but no response yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

My letter has arrived

• Advertisement

Same here, called back the house there and the letter was there. Will wait (im)/patiently now for the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

My letter has arrived. Thought the day would never come!

And now my watch has ended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corvettenut

Anyone else serving public service, any indications on the process of secondment?

Anyone else serving public service, any indications on the process of secondment?

I'm an EO and on probation til Sept. But leaving for the local authority. No start date just yet. They may grant me secondment if I revert to CO as I've my probation for that is done!!

But Civil Service are eligible? I'm established with a few years but with all the various definitions of public sector, public service, etc I got the heebee geebee's that LA's old definition will only second from Old health boards, and other LA's. My understanding of Public Service Improvement is that all those old barriers were disabled in 2013? I'm probably overthinking this lol

But Civil Service are eligible? I'm established with a few years but with all the various definitions of public sector, public service, etc I got the heebee geebee's that LA's old definition will only second from Old health boards, and other LA's. My understanding of Public Service Improvement is that all those old barriers were disabled in 2013? I'm probably overthinking this lol

I'm civil service and the people I've been dealing with in HR of both local authority and civil service are willing to accomodate me. But nothing official until i request reverting back to CO and then officially requesting the secondment. To be honest I am kind of expecting something to stop it!!! Nothing ever goes.smoothly for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

But Civil Service are eligible?

the issue is that someone on probation is unlikely to be allowed go on secondment elsewhere

That's exactly how I feel, my own HR and line management all think its great and have been fully supportive. I'm not sure the LA's have been advised that these have been advertised as secondable though. I'm reading this correctly, right:

'Existing public sector (including Local Authority employees) that satisfy the eligibility requirements can also apply for consideration as graduate recruits. Public sector applicants will (if successful) need to secure line management approval for secondment to the Local Authority where they have been placed for the duration of the three year fixed term contract.'

Riskymove wrote: »
    the issue is that someone on probation is unlikely to be allowed go on secondment elsewhere

I'm not on probation but i think Bubsicle is for the EO contract.

I'm established for a good number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

i think Bubsicle is for the EO contract.

yes isn't that what we were discussing?

I am on probation in my EO contract. Will not be eligible for secondment as EO. But may be entitled to secondment if i revert to my CO grade

No, I had brought up the eligibility for secondment generally first. I had concerns that there is a certain 'vagueness' in the Eligibility Requirement in the Candidate Handbook for those of us recommended to a LA and already in CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Hi All

Has anyone else got a call from a Local Authority since with any sort of offer or start date?

Or is the letter from PAS (recommending appointment to LA) the furthest stage most people are at?

shineon23 wrote: »
    Hi All

Has anyone else got a call from a Local Authority since with any sort of offer or start date?

Or is the letter from PAS (recommending appointment to LA) the furthest stage most people are at?

I contacted mine to look for indication of timeline but was advised that even though I have received a letter from PAS, they have not and when they do receive it they will call to organise medicals etc. (along with garda vetting which I explained had already been done by PAS along with reference check).
    They advised not to hand in notice yet as there wasn't a time-frame they could give around start dates so looks like this could drag on for another while.

shineon23 wrote: »
    Hi All

I’m still waiting to hear from LA and I got my letter on 18th.. I emailed them a week ago also and no response.
    Manager I got my reference from keeps asking re. my notice...

Nyx122 wrote: »
    I’m still waiting to hear from LA and I got my letter on 18th.. I emailed them a week ago also and no response.
    Manager I got my reference from keeps asking re. my notice...

Ya, the same boat here, its 4 weeks ago today since I got the call and informed work and now they are putting me under pressure because they need me to hand in notice to begin looking for my replacement.
    The wait is getting hard now, I am just hoping that there is some more development this week of some kind.

The whole process seems to be totally chaotic, I was told the LA only received notice of candidates yesterday. They haven't been made aware of the conditions in the Candidates Handbook and that we are to be treated the same way as new hires regarding medical, references etc (despite the fact PAS have done all this Re: Medical self dec, e-Vetting, reference checking). This could go on for ages! Is there a standard proceedure for this? Does anyone know anyone who did this programme in 2014?

Ya, the same boat here, its 4 weeks ago today since I got the call and informed work and now they are putting me under pressure because they need me to hand in notice to begin looking for my replacement.
    The wait is getting hard now, I am just hoping that there is some more development this week of some kind.

Yea me too.. got the call 4 weeks ago.. it’s a very tough situation to be in when employers have been informed. I am hoping to hear something soon as getting very deflated.

• Advertisement

The whole process seems to be totally chaotic, I was told the LA only received notice of candidates yesterday. They haven't been made aware of the conditions in the Candidates Handbook and that we are to be treated the same way as new hires regarding medical, references etc (despite the fact PAS have done all this Re: Medical self dec, e-Vetting, reference checking). This could go on for ages! Is there a standard proceedure for this? Does anyone know anyone who did this programme in 2014?

That’s just crazy. I really hope after the wait we’ve been through and all our checks we won’t be going through all of that again. I doubt my management will give another reference without at least getting my notice first.
    Didn’t justjake get his offer/start date? It really seems to be a mess and huge lack of communication.

Advertisement