Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Tester Recruitment Campaign 2017 – 2018 (closing - 5.30pm Friday 5th January)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Does anyone know the situation with the training? Where and how long that takes?

Nope. I responded to the initial garda vetting query with a few questions about job location etc. You have to attach a form and ID to this email.

The response I got was "thanks" My questions weren't even acknowledged!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Blackeyemac

Does anyone know the situation with the training? Where and how long that takes?

I recall the original information after applying saying the training period would be 7 weeks. Didn't mention a location though.

I recall the original information after applying saying the training period would be 7 weeks. Didn't mention a location though.

It said most likely Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jusayinisall

Thanks blackeyemac! I thought I read 7 weeks somewhere alright but wasn’t sure! I hope it’s not Tallaght, I couldn’t commute that distance and I’d hate to give up the opportunity 😡

Tanky89 wrote: »
    That could take ages for a 43 like me lol
    Wonder if they'll offer random positions and people will drop out

Just a thought but if they use their panel in the same way as the HSE did recently it might be a good thing for everybody especially for finding a location that suited..
    Instead of simply saying, right job no 1 is in Sligo so no 1 person on the panel must take it or no 2 will be offered it and no 1 told to go home, what the HSE did was put the job out to everyone on the panel and anyone interested expressed an interest. Highest number gets the position. Only gamble was taking a chance and accepting because next week a one closer to you might come up but you're off the panel as soon as you click accept. Like I said just a thought.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jusayinisall

Just a thought but if they use their panel in the same way as the HSE did recently it might be a good thing for everybody especially for finding a location that suited..
    Instead of simply saying, right job no 1 is in Sligo so no 1 person on the panel must take it or no 2 will be offered it and no 1 told to go home, what the HSE did was put the job out to everyone on the panel and anyone interested expressed an interest. Highest number gets the position. Only gamble was taking a chance and accepting because next week a one closer to you might come up but you're off the panel as soon as you click accept. Like I said just a thought.!

Sounds like a much better system!

Thanks blackeyemac! I thought I read 7 weeks somewhere alright but wasn’t sure! I hope it’s not Tallaght, I couldn’t commute that distance and I’d hate to give up the opportunity 😡

Would be tricky alright for some but I'd imagine there will be some kind of expencess available, if I were called I'd probably try stay up there 3 nights and commute Mon & Fri.. not looking like I'm gonna get a call at this stage anyway.. interesting though that their big headquarters is in Mayo and not Dublin, wonder if that will have anything to do with it. Best if luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Agent 43

Hi the chosen few...FYI... Yes training is in Tallaght, and sadly as I asked already no expenses are paid only the basic wage. Only 8 taken on for training because of number of trainers to train.. And sadly as far as I know it still stands as you could be offered anywhere in the country and if not taken thats it! Alot of testers do travel. The reason why now everything is waiting is Garda clearance and any current location vacancies were on offer to current testers closing was Monday just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanky89

Agent 43 wrote: »
    Hi the chosen few...FYI... Yes training is in Tallaght, and sadly as I asked already no expenses are paid only the basic wage. Only 8 taken on for training because of number of trainers to train.. And sadly as far as I know it still stands as you could be offered anywhere in the country and if not taken thats it! Alot of testers do travel. The reason why now everything is waiting is Garda clearance and any current location vacancies were on offer to current testers closing was Monday just gone.

So anyone high up in the panel could be waiting upto or over a year to be hired? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Agent 43

Who knows the drop out rate is suppose to be high, hence a large panel.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed, insurance is bleeding my soul dry

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sean3318

This might spped things up a little https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/driving-test-applications-set-to-surge-1.3473684?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A panel of 100 would also be put in place following a recent recruitment campaign, and the department is considering a plan from the RSA to recruit 67 additional testers and 17 support staff on a phased basis for between 12 and 18 months to manage the “possible surge” when an estimated 53,000 to 119,000 applications are expected once the legislation changes.

Well the offers are out. Training is due to start on May 28th in Tallaght for 8 prospective testers. They give 8 locations, you indicate your order of preference and they are assigned based on your position on the panel.

Cork
    Wicklow
    Galway
    Newcastle West
    Mallow
    Limerick
    Tallaght
    Navan

None of those are anywhere near me, so I have a bit of a decision to make! I have followed up with some questions to see if there will be more positions released this year, so I'll see what comes back.

That's interesting. They haven't given you much time to give notice to your current employers.

I hope it's not a case that you are off the panel if you say no. I hope they use the panel wisely or else the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

Hope it works out for you in the end and thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Well the offers are out. Training is due to start on May 28th in Tallaght for 8 prospective testers. They give 8 locations, you indicate your order of preference and they are assigned based on your position on the panel.

Cork
    Wicklow
    Galway
    Newcastle West
    Mallow
    Limerick
    Tallaght
    Navan

None of those are anywhere near me, so I have a bit of a decision to make! I have followed up with some questions to see if there will be more positions released this year, so I'll see what comes back.

Best of luck keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I just got an invitation to an assessment centre for the first two weeks in may pick a date

I got the dear john in the first round all hope is not lost yet

Bazzy wrote: »
    I just got an invitation to an assessment centre for the first two weeks in may pick a date

I got the dear john in the first round all hope is not lost yet

Noice so they must be building up a larger panel?

I have bowed out lads, best of luck to ye all with it. i'm lucky in that I'm currentyl employed, my employer doesn't want me to leave so we had a very productive conversation today and I'm happy with the outcome. I may not have a new job, but it's working out well enough!

Noice so they must be building up a larger panel?

Must be funny thing is I was reading an article about the bus and truck tests being cancelled in Galway and the email popped in then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puntypower

Bazzy wrote: »
    Must be funny thing is I was reading an article about the bus and truck tests being cancelled in Galway and the email popped in then !!

Lucky you Bazzy, what number are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

New call ups for assessment. Can’t see me going for it as none of those locations would suit... think I’ll bow out gracefully and best of luck to all who advance

wedger wrote: »
    New call ups for assessment. Can’t see me going for it as none of those locations would suit... think I’ll bow out gracefully and best of luck to all who advance

Is this the driving assessment or the role play/interview / group discussion assessment!?

Would it be worth my while calling them monday to put the feelers out

puntypower wrote: »
    Lucky you Bazzy, what number are you?

Hi , I dont remember ever getting a number , I done the online thing and then got a hard luck buck email came out of the blue as a shock yesterday

Will go along and see how I go if your not in you cant win!!

Is this the driving assessment or the role play/interview / group discussion assessment!?

its the role play interview group discussion thing

It's disappointing to see that they are not adopting the HSE model when it comes to managing a panel. It would serve them a lot better considering the amount of work it took to get on a panel.

I know Collins McNicholas had advised them to do it that way but obviously, they didn't listen.

sean3318 wrote: »
    It's disappointing to see that they are not adopting the HSE model when it comes to managing a panel. It would serve them a lot better considering the amount of work it took to get on a panel.

I know Collins McNicholas had advised them to do it that way but obviously, they didn't listen.

Have the RSA got a direct line to contact with queries

Have the RSA got a direct line to contact with queries

I don't think so. The letter was signed by someone from HR but no number.

sean3318 wrote: »
    I don't think so. The letter was signed by someone from HR but no number.

Anyone else offered a position yet?

No I haven't got any offer yet. I would guess that there will be no further offers until the first round of recruits are trained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

This is for interview and role play etc

Advertisement