Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Tester Recruitment Campaign 2017 – 2018 (closing - 5.30pm Friday 5th January)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Asha_Pip

Suaeva wrote: »
    Best of luck! I have booked a lesson to brush up on the rules of the road. I’ve never set foot in Tallaght,.. I hope that it won’t be too much of a disadvantage to have no local knowledge

Congrats to the both of ye.

Do you know if it was a member of the recruitment firm or the rsa that called to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Suaeva

Asha_Pip wrote: »

Do you know if it was a member of the recruitment firm or the rsa that called to book?

Thank you, Recruitment company I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Asha_Pip wrote: »

Recruitment company. Not sure why that matters tho!?

pajopearl wrote: »
    Recruitment company. Not sure why that matters tho!?

It doesn't just curious

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Just got a call this morning too. Test booked. Hoping the weather predicted this week won't effect the tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Denis1234

Anybody know if emails have been sent to those not into final stage ? i havent heard either way

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No news might be good news?

I think I'd prefer to know either way now, the waiting is torture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Think the people who got news might have been in assessment centre the first week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hmmmm. Not feeling so positive now.

Driving tests are scheduled for 1st- 15th March, which is an 11 working day window.

I hope the recruitment co. call everybody whether or not they've been successful, as the candidates put in a good bit of effort getting as far as they did.

• Advertisement

Got an email advising the test was cancelled due to the impending weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chapter2.0

You guys that got the call for arranging driving test - when did u do assessment and when did u get the call?? I done my assessment on the 13th Feb and hoping I'm on a queue to be called.....fingers crossed!

Chapter2.0 wrote: »
    You guys that got the call for arranging driving test - when did u do assessment and when did u get the call?? I done my assessment on the 13th Feb and hoping I'm on a queue to be called.....fingers crossed!

Did my assessment on 6th February. Got the call on Saturday. Why not give CMcN a call!?

Curiosity got the better of me and I called them.

They said they'll have contacted everyone with good news or otherwise before the end of this week.

Curiosity got the better of me and I called them.

They said they'll have contacted everyone with good news or otherwise before the end of this week.

Thanks for doing that, it's good to know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Suaeva

D Trent wrote: »
    Think the people who got news might have been in assessment centre the first week

I was in the first week alright. Test was meant to be tomorrow but cancelled of course. Wishing I could just get it over with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chapter2.0

Just received bad news via email. Gutted I didn't make it through but have requested assessment feedback to see where I went wrong. Best of luck to any of you going forward to the driving tests!

Didn't make the cut either. Oh well. Onwards and upwards and all the best to the remaining candidates. I'll ask for feedback too just to see where I need to improve.

Suaeva wrote: »

I was in the first week alright. Test was meant to be tomorrow but cancelled of course. Wishing I could just get it over with!

I differ, gives me more time to get prepped and to get an extra refresher lesson in. At €30 A pop it's money well spent I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Hi folks,

I didn't spot this thread until now. I'm through to the driving test round, due to have a test on Friday. I'm a bit nervous having sat my car test 15 odd years ago, and a bike test about 10 years back I'd say. Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the 2 year contract? I mean, is it an initial 2 year contract who will be renewed on performance etc, or is it 2 years and out the door, or re-apply for your job?

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

I didn't spot this thread until now. I'm through to the driving test round, due to have a test on Friday. I'm a bit nervous having sat my car test 15 odd years ago, and a bike test about 10 years back I'd say. Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the 2 year contract? I mean, is it an initial 2 year contract who will be renewed on performance etc, or is it 2 years and out the door, or re-apply for your job?

Its only a panel we will be going onto if we pass the test / Garda vetting. The last panel was made over 2 years ago and has just been exhausted according the recruitment agency. The panel is much larger this time too (they didn't tell me how many last time of this time) so we might not get a call out for 2 years maybe more to see if we want to start.

The job itself is 2 year fixed term then if everything is going ok I'd imagine you'll get offered another term or made permanent. You could be told to sling your hook and thinks for all your hard work but if you are good at the job then thats unlikely.

I found a driving instructor who was once a driving tester and some time booked with him. Hopefully he can give me some solid pointers.

Also not got a clue if they use a variance of the actual driving test route it but this youtube channel has up videos of the possible Tallaght routes from 3 years ago, might be worth watching guys.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFT9aKST4W0CjnOkvJOwo7w

IP freely wrote: »
    Its only a panel we will be going onto if we pass the test / Garda vetting. The last panel was made over 2 years ago and has just been exhausted according the recruitment agency. The panel is much larger this time too (they didn't tell me how many last time of this time) so we might not get a call out for 2 years maybe more to see if we want to start.

The job itself is 2 year fixed term then if everything is going ok I'd imagine you'll get offered another term or made permanent. You could be told to sling your hook and thinks for all your hard work but if you are good at the job then thats unlikely.

I found a driving instructor who was once a driving tester and some time booked with him. Hopefully he can give me some solid pointers.

Thanks. Yeah I'm aware of the panel and that it may not lead to anything immediately (or even at all!) but I guess I was considering not doing the test if it was 2 years and out the door as I'm currently permanently employed and couldn't leave that for 2 year contract with no chance of renewal. I've emailed them for clarification... I'm sure they will just send back a non committal rewording of what's stated in the information booklet.

Thanks for the link too, I found those videos last week so have been working through them. I had a driving lesson booked for yesterday but that got cancelled due to the snow, so I'll have to try book something in for the this week!

So you have to be available for 7 weeks training in Dublin (who pays for your accommodation etc?) and then you might never be called?

That's nuts. How could you hope to keep your current job?

So you have to be available for 7 weeks training in Dublin (who pays for your accommodation etc?) and then you might never be called?

That's nuts. How could you hope to keep your current job?

I assume you get offered a job subject to completing the training. They aren't going to train 400 people half of whichmight never be called for a job. They will probably train up 20 at a time, but you need to pass to take up the position.

That's my guess anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Has anybody done the driving test ??
    Do they ask you road signs and the like ?
    Or just hop in the car and away you go for the hour

Has anybody done the driving test ??
    Do they ask you road signs and the like ?
    Or just hop in the car and away you go for the hour

I have it tomorrow. I've been looking at the road signs and that, I assume they will ask.

Didn't get asked any road signs but got asked a few questions (how to check lights youself/if you indicate and it's flashing fast) controls when inside the car before setting off too.

Be prepared for the test. It's not easy. My driving part was over an hour long. Exhausting, my reverse around the corner was uphill and had to stop 3 times for traffic too.

Personally I think I messed up a few times, unfamiliarity with the area still lots of snow piles around the place and 3pm traffic didn't help me. The route I was taken on was not on any of the videos I seen on YouTube (except for through tallaght itself) and I was also brought into,I think based on signage, the square shopping centre car park and told to find the exit, which was hellish as I don't have a clue where I was.

According to my Google map location history (which doesn't seem accurate) I was mainly around tallaght but was also in firhouse, ballympunt and newlands cross.

Hope this helps anyone going to do the Test, good luck.

IP freely wrote: »
    Didn't get asked any road signs but got asked a few questions (how to check lights youself/if you indicate and it's flashing fast) controls when inside the car before setting off too.

Be prepared for the test. It's not easy. My driving part was over an hour long. Exhausted. Me reverse around the corner was uphill and had to stop 3 times for traffic.

Personally I think I messed up a few times, unfamiliarity with the area and 3pm didn't help me. The route I was taken on was not on any of the videos I seen on YouTube (except for through tallaght itself) and I was also brought into a shopping centre car park and told to find the exit...

Cheers for that. Very helpful. Did they tell you after whether you passed the test, like in the state test?

• Advertisement

pajopearl wrote: »

Cheers for that. Very helpful. Did they tell you after whether you passed the test, like in the state test?

Was told not to expect a response on how I got on until Tuesday or Wednesday fortnight.

Advertisement