Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

What's the equity though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't know if you go down the bottom here and hit documents in English it gives the overview, not sure how you play it though as in buy or sell it https://beursproducten.vontobel.com/NL/EN/Product/DE000VA3Z6G2?ReturnUrl=%2fNL%2fEN%2fshowpage.aspx%3fpageID%3d750%26SearchTerm%3dTesla&FromPath=_Additional+Navigation--_Pages--Search+Result--

" Debt instrument represented by a global bearer security and registered in uncertificated book-entry form, governed by German law."
    Are those my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can someone explain what the feck the last few posts are and that chart are on about please?

Thargor wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the feck the last few posts are and that chart are on about please?

How to make the most money shorting Tesla on Degiro, the link above was the biggest moving short today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Final Fantasy VII Remake | TBA

Their she is, when that gets a date, buy square.

Lot of Q2s out today - any tips to buy for those that will release earnings after closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

I'd recommend buying Micron (MU) as it's executing well, is incredibly cheap and has a 10bn stock buyback starting later this year. It's price is at a recent low but I can see it going up over the next year

It's stats compared to others mentioned here:
    Price/Book
    Price/Earnings
    Micron 2.1
    Nvidia 19.3
    Twitter 4.3
    Intel 3.2

See articles below for further research

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/MU?s=mu
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4188687-great-wall-micron

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Made enough off them last year, wasn't going to haggle over a few cent. :)

I got em today :)

unkel wrote: »
    I got em today :)

Picked up a few more myself, took a small punt on Peugeot as well should have bought them months ago when I was thinking of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Must take a look at some of the car manufacturers. I do not have any in my portfolio.

Do you guys have a target price for Porsche or Peugeot?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Any of you been following $HMNY? Brutal stuff.

Must take a look at some of the car manufacturers. I do not have any in my portfolio.

Do you guys have a target price for Porsche or Peugeot?

Porsche somewhere around €75 by end of October, Peugeot I don't know but their fortunes have improved this year and new models selling well. I'd be happy with a 10% return in the next few months.
    I regret selling Ferrari at €100 I chickened out but was in around fifty.
    Volvo is another I want to have a closer look at.

DYOR but Hyundai look like they have very aggressive long term plans. They already have the highest margin of any car mass manufacturer (after BMW). I made a quick punt on them earlier this year when they were at a low and cashed out just a week later. Not sure what they are at now but could be a good longer term investment

If you look around you, there are Hyundais everywhere (and Kia - part owned by Hyundai and sharing platforms and technology)

I'd say there plan is to take over Toyota's position. Worldwide.

What do you think of Madza this new skyactive X engine looks promising.

I wouldn't put a cent into a company that doesn't do anything EV tbh :)

ICE are very fast on the way out

They are doing something in that space think a release in 2020...this engine is seemingly cleaner than a Tesla.

Cleaner than a zero emissions car powered up by 100% renewables? I don't think so :p

In Norway only full EVs are allowed to be sold from 2025. That's just 6 years away. The Netherlands the year after. All other countries will follow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What do you think of Madza this new skyactive X engine looks promising.

Any efficiency improvements in combustion engines is obviously great but it's just delaying the inevitable. EVs are where things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

They are doing something in that space think a release in 2020...this engine is seemingly cleaner than a Tesla.

:rolleyes: Better then Zero emissions so. Next you'll be telling us it purifies clean air, or is that a VW?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mazda haven't exactly said the engine is cleaner than an electric. They are comparing the emissions of their engine to the emissions used to generate the electricity you use to charge an EV. They have said their new engine is cleaner than an EV when the electricity for the EV comes from coal or petrol and that their engine comes close when the electricity comes from a mix of coal, petrol and gas. So, it's not quite as drunkmonkey said above. I kinda get their point but I think it's a flawed logic. Governments are increasing the amount of electricity we get from clean sources which means that an EV sold today will get cleaner as time goes by whereas a car with a skyactiv engine won't (or possibly will get worse, I'm not sure how engine age and use affects emissions but I'd say it does get worse).

Regardless, I still don't think it's going to make much of a difference. Even if engines like this were just as green as an EV, governments will still incentivise and push EVs and punish petrol/diesel cars. EVs are cheaper to run as well, so considering most people spend XX,000s on a new car just to save a few hundred a year on tax I can see them taking off big time once most of the concerns people have with EVs are ironed out whether they are better for the environment or not.

Elon delivered a Tesla to a customer in a combustion engined truck the other day. It's not dead any time soon, I'll probably see my hoverboard before a Tesla truck.

Wheel to wheel emissions, I think Mazda have a point in looking at the full picture https://www.evo.co.uk/mazda/20966/mazda-says-skyactiv-x-is-competitive-with-ev-emissions-till-infrastructure-improves

Elon delivered a Tesla to a customer in a combustion engined truck the other day. It's not dead any time soon, I'll probably see my hoverboard before a Tesla truck.

Wheel to wheel emissions, I think Mazda have a point in looking at the full picture https://www.evo.co.uk/mazda/20966/mazda-says-skyactiv-x-is-competitive-with-ev-emissions-till-infrastructure-improves

This new engine technology doesn't affect trucks. Regardless, large trucks and buses will eventually change to EV. It's already happening. It could happen quicker than the switch over in cars because of the cost savings for companies.

As for well to wheel emissions, there is some merit in looking at that but even still Mazda are saying their engines aren't as green as an EV they are saying the difference is about 10%. Most people don't care about emissions. Even if an EV produces more well to wheel emissions than a skyactiv x engine, the EV will still be cheaper to run and maintain. People will choose that over the greener car.

Governments are increasing the amount of electricity we get from clean sources which means that an EV sold today will get cleaner as time goes by

That's it in a nutshell. And even today in Ireland, the dirty man of Europe when it comes to emissions, we already have up to 75% of our electricity coming from wind at night (when most EVs charge)

Most of the EU will have 100% renewable electricity within a decade or so

This new engine technology doesn't affect trucks. Regardless, large trucks and buses will eventually change to EV. It's already happening. It could happen quicker than the switch over in cars because of the cost savings for companies.

As for well to wheel emissions, there is some merit in looking at that but even still Mazda are saying their engines aren't as green as an EV they are saying the difference is about 10%. Most people don't care about emissions. Even if an EV produces more well to wheel emissions than a skyactiv x engine, the EV will still be cheaper to run and maintain. People will choose that over the greener car.

It can effect them it's scalable so should find it's way into trucks. If EV's have a serious impact it should in turn lead to falling oil prices which should make a skyactive X a lot more appealing. Battery technology has to overtake the combustion engine before there's a serious uptake, even Apple with all it's billions can't make a phone last the weekend.
    I'm not convinced lithium batteries in there current capacity are the way forward, I think there dangerous and it'll become more of an issue as adoption grows and the stock ages.

This is a good read takes a few mins https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartphone-battery-life-lithium-ion-future
    Buy Sony for future battery tech play?

It can effect them it's scalable so should find it's way into trucks. If EV's have a serious impact it should in turn lead to falling oil prices which should make a skyactive X a lot more appealing. Battery technology has to overtake the combustion engine before there's a serious uptake, even Apple with all it's billions can't make a phone last the weekend.
    I'm not convinced lithium batteries in there current capacity are the way forward, I think there dangerous and it'll become more of an issue as adoption grows and the stock ages.

This is a good read takes a few mins https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartphone-battery-life-lithium-ion-future
    Buy Sony for future battery tech play?

Big trucks use diesel not petrol. They would change to EV sooner than petrol I'd say. Also, if petrol prices come down to the point they get even kinda close to the cost of running an EV, you can bet your ass governments will just add more taxes on to petrol to "encourage green technologies" which is always a great excuse to add a new tax.

There is nothing technologically stopping Apple making a phone that lasts longer, they could do it tomorrow if they wanted to. It would just have to be thicker to accommodate a larger battery. Apple are prioritising thinness over battery life as they believe that's what the market cares about more, it's working for them. There's nothing stopping a car manufacturer making a car with a much larger battery and therefore much larger range, than currently available. It would just be a lot more expensive. EV range is already as good as most people need it to be. A whole load of EVs have been released that can do a range of nearly 250 miles on a single charge. London to Liverpool is only 220 miles distance and it takes 4 hours. If you need to drive further than that, you're probably gonna stop and take a break anyway so you have time to charge. Even if you didn't want to stop, most people wouldn't be doing that distance more than once in a blue moon so probably wouldn't care too much either way.

EVs certainly don't work for all use cases currently but they do for most. I'm not saying petrol/diesel is dead right now but long term EVs are taking over.

even Apple with all it's billions can't make a phone last the weekend.

Apple has a lot of billions, but it doesn't spend much money on research :p

But seriously, a mobile phone lithium-ion battery typically has 2 or 3 cells. Lithium-ion cells die randomly. If one cell in the phone dies, you'd be annoyed as battery life is severely reduced. If 2 die, the phone is in the bin and it's time for an upgrade to the latest even more expensive iPhone. Apple don't really mind this :p

An EV has thousands and thousands of cells. You wouldn't notice any reduction in range until hundreds of batteries have died. Which is probably the best part of 10 years down the road

And what about hydrogen fuel cells lads... :pac:

Ah Ryanair my old friend. Down 20% in the last 10 days. Still heading south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Ah Ryanair my old friend. Down 20% in the last 10 days. Still heading south.

I was close to getting a few when it dipped under 14 but held off because of announced strikes that have gotten worse since. Still room to fall more I think.

Advertisement