Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Share Picks 2018

  • 27-12-2017 5:20am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ b4bmm


    Tawana resources. TAW Asx Lithium player. Tipped this a while back when it was mid 20s. Approaching 50c now and has a long way to run. Way undervalued compared to peers. Best mangement in the lithium space. Big year ahead.

    Nzuri copper. NZC, Asx cobalt/copper play. Being buying this from high teens and it ran hard before I could get all I wanted. It’s low 30s now which is similar to my average buy in price. Very good buy at this level. Lowest capital cost cobalt play on the asx. Located in Congo. Strong Chinese partners. Big exploration upside. This will go hard in 2018 is way undervalued compare to poor grade high capex asx cobalt peers. Management owns over 50% of compnay extremely tight register. Feasibility study already proven robust economics for the project now optimatstion studies being carried out which will take the NPV to a whole new level and the SP along with it hopefully. This is by far the best cobalt play on the asx right now imo.

    Wish everyone a prosperous 2018


«13456767

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭ crushproof


    Jumped into Taw earlier this year at .33c, a bit behind some of the b4bmm & folk here but the long term gains look to be fantastic and I'm looking forward to the rewards. There is some great money to be made on the ASX in 2018.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭ daheff


    https://www.bloomberg.com/features/companies-to-watch-2018/

    bloomberg 50 to watch.


    Personally have small holding in BASF


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,833 ✭✭✭✭ neris


    daheff wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/features/companies-to-watch-2018/

    bloomberg 50 to watch.


    Personally have small holding in BASF


    Interesting to see Fannie Mae & Freddie mac on that list. Was doing a stock screener on otc few days ago and they both popped up under the parameters I'd set.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 Shauny2010


    Any opinions on Banking stocks for 2018. Will we see a return to lofty share prices and glossy dividents again?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭ daheff


    Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Any opinions on Banking stocks for 2018. Will we see a return to lofty share prices and glossy dividents again?

    I'm a fan of banking stocks (not just irish)...can see a better year next year. More M&A, more FX (trump taxes) and more disposable income for people(more investment income).

    also rising interest rates will add to profits for banks.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭ Cute Hoor


    Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Any opinions on Banking stocks for 2018. Will we see a return to lofty share prices and glossy dividents again?

    Banco Santander (Current Price €5.48), hasn't made a loss in it's 200 year history, continued to pay dividends throughout the financial crisis, gifted Banco Popular by the EU authorities for €1 in June because they deemed it likely to fail, they have already sold off a Banco Popular subsidiary TotalBank for $528m, paying around 5% dividend.

    Would hope the SP increases by 10% at some stage during the year, the dividend will help while you're waiting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭ Mooooo


    daheff wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/features/companies-to-watch-2018/

    bloomberg 50 to watch.


    Personally have small holding in BASF

    Will the fire in Germany effect it much?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭ daheff


    Mooooo wrote: »
    Will the fire in Germany effect it much?

    Yes... But I think mostly priced in already

    Quick resumption of production/source other supplies & could see a bounce


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭ Thargor


    b4bmm wrote: »
    Tawana resources. TAW Asx Lithium player. Tipped this a while back when it was mid 20s. Approaching 50c now and has a long way to run. Way undervalued compared to peers. Best mangement in the lithium space. Big year ahead.

    Nzuri copper. NZC, Asx cobalt/copper play. Being buying this from high teens and it ran hard before I could get all I wanted. It’s low 30s now which is similar to my average buy in price. Very good buy at this level. Lowest capital cost cobalt play on the asx. Located in Congo. Strong Chinese partners. Big exploration upside. This will go hard in 2018 is way undervalued compare to poor grade high capex asx cobalt peers. Management owns over 50% of compnay extremely tight register. Feasibility study already proven robust economics for the project now optimatstion studies being carried out which will take the NPV to a whole new level and the SP along with it hopefully. This is by far the best cobalt play on the asx right now imo.

    Wish everyone a prosperous 2018
    Same to you and everyone else.

    TAW was a great tip, just hit 50c there, rare to get an opportunity to get in ahead of the crowd on a share like them and PLS.


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ b4bmm


    Thargor wrote: »
    Same to you and everyone else.

    TAW was a great tip, just hit 50c there, rare to get an opportunity to get in ahead of the crowd on a share like them and PLS.

    Ya a great start to the new year.
    Tawana Up 12% as I type.

    Nzuri up 4.5% as I write.
    Only $80M MC.
    Going through a consolidation phase and catching its breath at the moment. It will appreciate aggressively on a sniff of good news.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭ garrettod


    Hi,

    How do acquisition and sale costs compare for buying on the Australian exchange, compared with say buying Irish or UK equities ?

    Also, how do they treat dividends for tax purposes (ie is there withholding tax for non-residents etc.) ?

    Many thanks

    Thanks,

    G.



  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ b4bmm


    garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

    How do acquisition and sale costs compare for buying on the Australian exchange, compared with say buying Irish or UK equities ?

    Also, how do they treat dividends for tax purposes (ie is there withholding tax for non-residents etc.) ?

    Many thanks

    All I know is irish brokers are a total rip off compared to peers internationally. At least there were when I checked last a few years ago. But what else would you expect. Others here can comment better than me regarding irish costs but for my Australian brokerage you pay trade fee of $20 up to $10,000 trade value $30 up to $20,000 trade value and so on from there.

    Yes as far as I’m aware there is withholding tax for non residents on dividends. I think it’s 30% and maybe this can be mitigated through a DTA. Here it is if you want to look into more depth

    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tax-agreements/double-taxation-treaties/a/australia.pdf


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭ garrettod


    Thanks b4bmm,

    Yes, I'm wondering about charges through Irish brokers - had a quick look at my own, but can't find anything relevant at first glance.

    Thanks,

    G.



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭ LG1234


    garrettod wrote: »
    Thanks b4bmm,

    Yes, I'm wondering about charges through Irish brokers - had a quick look at my own, but can't find anything relevant at first glance.

    Degiro charge 10 euro per transaction to buy on the ASX


  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ plasmin


    Shares like NZC, PLS are also listed on Frankfurt exchange. Any thoughts on buying on FRA V ASX?

    Thanks in advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ b4bmm


    LG1234 wrote: »
    Degiro charge 10 euro per transaction to buy on the ASX

    Im surprised it doesn’t go on value.
    If it’s €10 flat thats very competitive and miles better than when I checked last time a few years ago. Not sure if I checked Degiro at the time though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 Lorelei Fancy Lifeguard


    Minor amendment to above. DeGiro fees for the ASX €10.00 + 0.05% (e.g. 1,000 EUR would cost EUR 10.50)

    FYI DeGiro appear to have added an 'estimated cost' on the final screen before you buy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ b4bmm


    Minor amendment to above. DeGiro fees for the ASX €10.00 + 0.05% (e.g. 1,000 EUR would cost EUR 10.50)

    FYI DeGiro appear to have added an 'estimated cost' on the final screen before you buy.

    That’s more like it. Very expensive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ thereality


    I think Bank of Ireland is a value stock. The new CEO should be good at reforming their IT systems which were supposed to be scheduled for a pricey upgraded. It is one of the most profitable retail banks in Europe. The Irish mortgage market is extremely uncompetitive and should offer good returns to shareholders. It is important to note, that even during the banking meltdown from 2011-2015. BOI probably could have gotten away without a bailout. Even today, their loan books are pretty good condition. They were a prudent lender during the boom. Even at the moment, they are being prudent with their lending in the overheating UK property market

    I think Green REIT has a fair bit of upside. They assets were valued at 166c per share back in June 2017. They are likely considerable more now if you look at the fact that the new NTMA building in IFSC, which is a spec similar to most of their buildings sold with a yield of 3.95%. Greens buildings are valued at a yield of 5%. So they could be sold tomorrow for a really decent price

    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/german-investor-fund-offers-over-160m-for-dublin-docklands-office-block-1.3312826

    If you consider IPUT, which as similar quality assets to them(a lot more retail though) sales for a premium over their asset price and Green is selling for about a 10% discount on its asset price. It appears to be a decently valued stock

    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=c755c396-6309-49c5-8db1-5eca08914e27

    Another stock I like is Synchrony Financial. It is a store credit card provider in the US, which over 40% of the store card market. It provides the store cards for Walmart, Lowes etc. AFAIK it is a spin off of GE. This stock caught my attention as Warren Buffet has just taken a new holding in it. Store cards tend to have customers with lower credit than more premium banks like Chase(SF has about 25% of their customers with below average credit ratings versus about 5% in Chase). So there is a risk of more delinquencies if the US economy sours. Although they have been proactively trying to improve the creditworthiness of their customer base in the last decade.

    IMO it is a classic long term Berkshire Hathaway stock. It is a company that has a decent level of market dominance, it offers something unique and it has been steadily growing. Their secret sauce is that everytime you use their card, the retailer can track the sales of customers which they can't do with a regular card. So retailers won't be a worry to get rid of their store cards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭ Dardania


    Very good ideas there thereality - might take a punt or two on BOI and Synchrony Financial - very solid reasoning. Any risk that the continued drip feed IPO of AIB might take from BOI?

    I’m long term investor in Green REIT since their IPO - got in at 1.05. Seem to be very promising - particularly with Brexit driving demand for office space.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ thereality


    Dardania wrote: »
    Very good ideas there thereality - might take a punt or two on BOI and Synchrony Financial - very solid reasoning. Any risk that the continued drip feed IPO of AIB might take from BOI?

    I’m long term investor in Green REIT since their IPO - got in at 1.05. Seem to be very promising - particularly with Brexit driving demand for office space.

    IMO AIB and BOI are very different banks. BOI never had the meltdown that AIB experienced, so they are in a different mindset. While AIB is still trying to manage their existing problematic loans. BOI are trying to grow their loan book. AIB is obviously trying to grow their loan book too. But it is easier to grow your business, when you aren't focusing on problematic loans

    Another thing about BOI is the fact they don't have a significant state shareholder to the same extent as AIB. Some people are of the opinion, banks are too slow to repossess properties here due to the state being a significant shareholder. It kinda makes sense. AIB repossessing a family home, puts a family on the street that the state has to house. It looks bad that a state owned back is putting people on the street. It appears some of the banks (I don't know AIB does it), just sell on the loan to a vulture fund to call it in. They are taking some of the value off the table.

    BOI on the other hand is buying subprime loan books and trying to find value in them! BOI is seeing value in things other banks refuse to engage in. I feel BOI is an Irish Bank with balls.

    There are reports that the ECB wants banks to sell off loan books of loans that were in default and now good, as they are still seen as bad loans in the eyes of the ECB. If that is the case, banks like PTSB will struggle. AIB might have an issue. Although I don't know to what extent. Although BOI doesn't have that issue

    I don't know how much longer the rally for Green REIT can continue. I think there is another year or so in it. But if the ECB starts hiking rates, they will be a less attractive investment. That is a while away


  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ butrasgali


    Any opinions on valeant shares at the moment..vrx


  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭ the goon


    b4bmm wrote: »
    Tawana resources. TAW Asx Lithium player. Tipped this a while back when it was mid 20s. Approaching 50c now and has a long way to run. Way undervalued compared to peers. Best mangement in the lithium space. Big year ahead.

    Nzuri copper. NZC, Asx cobalt/copper play. Being buying this from high teens and it ran hard before I could get all I wanted. It’s low 30s now which is similar to my average buy in price. Very good buy at this level. Lowest capital cost cobalt play on the asx. Located in Congo. Strong Chinese partners. Big exploration upside. This will go hard in 2018 is way undervalued compare to poor grade high capex asx cobalt peers. Management owns over 50% of compnay extremely tight register. Feasibility study already proven robust economics for the project now optimatstion studies being carried out which will take the NPV to a whole new level and the SP along with it hopefully. This is by far the best cobalt play on the asx right now imo.

    Wish everyone a prosperous 2018

    Apologies in advance for a stupid question but am complete novice with a keen interest but can I ask, what is the difference between buying Tawana Resources ASX $0.51 and Tawana Resources as on the Frankfurt exchange at €0.35?

    Any help appreciated and to keep on topic, if anyone can tell if its possible to buy off the KOSDAQ that would be great. Dongkuk S&C manufacture towers for wind turbines and have strong growth year on year. Would expect this to continue and expansion into new markets.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭ crushproof


    the goon wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for a stupid question but am complete novice with a keen interest but can I ask, what is the difference between buying Tawana Resources ASX $0.51 and Tawana Resources as on the Frankfurt exchange at €0.35? 
    I actually just realised the other day you could buy via Frankfurt rather than the ASX. I originally purchased TAW on the ASX however it does appear that a large number of ASX firms have listed on Frankfurt also. It is €10 to trade on the ASX but €2 to trade on Frankfurt... so I imagine it is more worthwhile


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭ Cute Hoor


    crushproof wrote: »
    I actually just realised the other day you could buy via Frankfurt rather than the ASX. I originally purchased TAW on the ASX however it does appear that a large number of ASX firms have listed on Frankfurt also. It is €10 to trade on the ASX but €2 to trade on Frankfurt... so I imagine it is more worthwhile

    Really low volume (from what I can see ) on Frankfurt, might be difficult to buy and sell


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭ Cute Hoor


    One rollercoaster ride yesterday for CNET, finished up 700% on the day, up 920% at one stage, 82.5m shares traded (12.4m shares outstanding, 7.6m public float), normally averages 270k traded per day.


  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭ Prezatch


    crushproof wrote: »
    I actually just realised the other day you could buy via Frankfurt rather than the ASX. I originally purchased TAW on the ASX however it does appear that a large number of ASX firms have listed on Frankfurt also. It is €10 to trade on the ASX but €2 to trade on Frankfurt... so I imagine it is more worthwhile

    Lower liquidity = worse bid/ask spreads so you would probably end up getting stung a lot worse than the 8 euro difference, depending on the size of your trades.


  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 22,619 ✭✭✭✭ beertons


    Cute Hoor wrote: »
    One rollercoaster ride yesterday for CNET, finished up 700% on the day, up 920% at one stage, 82.5m shares traded (12.4m shares outstanding, 7.6m public float), normally averages 270k traded per day.


    Wow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 socorobo


    Prezatch wrote: »
    Lower liquidity = worse bid/ask spreads so you would probably end up getting stung a lot worse than the 8 euro difference, depending on the size of your trades.

    So with TAW for instance could there be a situation where you simply couldn’t offload shares? Or assuming the share price continues to rise should it be okay?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭ Prezatch


    You'd have no problem selling, but the price you'd get or have to drop down to could be inferior when translated to AUD and you compare to what you could have gotten if sold on the ASX due to much greater volumes flowing through it, being the primary exchange for this aussie share.


Advertisement