Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I was close to getting a few when it dipped under 14 but held off because of announced strikes that have gotten worse since. Still room to fall more I think.

Traffic is up 4% regardless of the strikes.

unkel wrote: »
    I got em today :)

Old smokey VW dragging us down, not worried VW seem underpriced at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

#dieselgate might prove to be a blessing for VAG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Gangu wrote: »
    Any views on Ten Cent? Holding a few share but was thinking of increasing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/forget-faangs-heres-the-bigger-dip-to-buy-in-big-tech-2018-08-02

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Cleaner than a zero emissions car powered up by 100% renewables? I don't think so :p

In Norway only full EVs are allowed to be sold from 2025. That's just 6 years away. The Netherlands the year after. All other countries will follow.

Companies that will be able to recover and recycle batteries could be a bet

• Advertisement

Maybe, maybe not. Quite likely car manufacturers will mostly do this themselves. Nissan and Renault already do. And Tesla sells the power wall. Lucrative market for home attached electricity storage.

Risky area too, when or if there is a breakthrough in battery technology the old tech batteries could be worth a lot less quite quickly. That might happen tomorrow, or it might not happen for several decades...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe, maybe not. Quite likely car manufacturers will mostly do this themselves. Nissan and Renault already do. And Tesla sells the power wall. Lucrative market for home attached electricity storage.

Risky area too, when or if there is a breakthrough in battery technology the old tech batteries could be worth a lot less quite quickly. That might happen tomorrow, or it might not happen for several decades...

For over 10 years I've been reading about how this new amazing battery technology will completely revolutionise things and it's only 2-3 years away from being market ready. So far it hasn't happened. Most improvements in battery technology have been incremental no real big bangs that completely blow everything else out of the water. I'd love to see it happen but I can't see it changing any time soon.

Like I said, it could happen now, or it mightn't happen for decades. Risky to gamble either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Bob Harris wrote: »

Was looking at Tencent recently but wasn't able to buy. Do you need to buy in lots of 100 on the HK exchange on Degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

paulers06 wrote: »
    Was looking at Tencent recently but wasn't able to buy. Do you need to buy in lots of 100 on the HK exchange on Degiro?

I don't know that, I hold IQ quoted on the NASDAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Bought a measly two shares in Apple a few months back and am sitting on nearly 100 quid profit. Raging I didn't buy a few more but they are so damn pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Bought a measly two shares in Apple a few months back and am sitting on nearly 100 quid profit. Raging I didn't buy a few more but they are so damn pricey.

When Forest Gump came out around 1994, his Apple shares gave him $95million and people watching at the time thought 'wow he made a load of money'. If he held and sold them today it'd be well over $8 Billion !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Apple still has room to grow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Sabre Man wrote: »

But they're doing nothing, just so many idiots willing to throw away a grand for a phone made for a couple hundred....if that.

Surely these idiots are gonna cop on eventually?

Kuva wrote: »
    Surely these idiots are gonna cop on eventually?

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Too risky for me to pick either gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I am really surprised that google and amazon are didn't reach the 1tn before apple. There is so much more scope in the other 2 with integration into so many businesses all over the world.
    Amazon are going to be the new IBM with AWS - will have a ton of companies by the balls in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

retalivity wrote: »
    I am really surprised that google and amazon are didn't reach the 1tn before apple. There is so much more scope in the other 2 with integration into so many businesses all over the world.
    Amazon are going to be the new IBM with AWS - will have a ton of companies by the balls in a few years.

Anyone thinking about the implications of Amazon moving into the health space?
    First fulfill prescriptions and delivery to your door; then just produce a few generic medications/medical devices themselves! There's rich pickings to be had considering the margins which pharma/medical device companies enjoy.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/28/amazon-pillpack-pharmacy-acquisition-cvs-walgreens-walmart/741209002/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Anyone thinking about the implications of Amazon moving into the health space?
    First fulfill prescriptions and delivery to your door; then just produce a few generic medications/medical devices themselves! There's rich pickings to be had considering the margins which pharma/medical device companies enjoy.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/28/amazon-pillpack-pharmacy-acquisition-cvs-walgreens-walmart/741209002/

My shares in Wallgreens dropped 10% on this news but have recovered almost all of it back now. They say that physical premises is very important in their business . Even so I'll sell them after the dividend in a few weeks and take my profit elsewhere.

I have shares in Teva (generics) but I think these are safe for a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

Like I said, it could happen now, or it mightn't happen for decades. Risky to gamble either way...

I would think it could be as much as 10-15 years....based on what I can gather (admittedly very limited info) about the development of graphene and other 2D materials for energy storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Anybody think nvidia is a good play to get in now or do people think it might drop a bit? Earnings in 2 weeks I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Anybody think nvidia is a good play to get in now or do people think it might drop a bit? Earnings in 2 weeks I think

Shield sales alone....yea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kuva wrote: »
    Shield sales alone....yea.

I doubt the shield has sold well enough to have any effect on their share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Ah Ryanair my old friend. Down 20% in the last 10 days. Still heading south.
    Might be a good time to get in I'm thinking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hope so! I'm in :pac:
    TheSheriff wrote: »
    Might be a good time to get in I'm thinking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Tesla anyone? Jokes. Gut feeling is it will tank in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

My gut feeling is that your gut feeling is wrong.

Yup he just distracted people from the problems yesterday just like the surfboard before earnings, all a pr stunt.
    He's goosed if the share price doesn't hold at these levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

$EKSO has crazy upside potential at the moment.
    Ford starting to roll out the suits in their factories along with Boeing testing them too.

With those big firms on board, only a matter of time until other big manufacturers start to put orders in too.

Not to mention the potential in the medical field with veterans and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Skelet0n wrote: »
    $EKSO has crazy upside potential at the moment.
    Ford starting to roll out the suits in their factories along with Boeing testing them too.

With those big firms on board, only a matter of time until other big manufacturers start to put orders in too.

Not to mention the potential in the medical field with veterans and such.

and reanimated police officers in 1980s Detroit killed in the line of duty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Sabre Man wrote: »

When Apple still grows in November.....

Advertisement