Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This time of the year must be hard for her when she hears the 'Holidays are coming' ad.

Silly jokes aside, I hope his medical career is kaput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

anna080 wrote: »
    Guess what, she could have held a knife to this throat and been threatening to kill him and I still think he would be solely to blame for kicking the living shlt out of her.

He punched her in the back to knock her the to floor..... She was waking /running away from him....your being ridiculous! Plus incredibly, not showing any sympothy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gozunda wrote: »
    As for the the next statement of

What if they were a same sex couple or it was the woman who followed/punched/ kicked their partner- would that make for a different judgement from you?

As for the rest- it really does not warrant any further comment tbh.

And you are a category mod? Wow....

she was being sarcastic.
    calfmuscle wrote: »
    He punched her in the back to knock her the to floor..... She was waking /running away from him....your being ridiculous! Plus incredibly, not showing any sympothy.

how so. she said he was to blame for what he did, and would still be even if his girlfriend put a knife to his throat.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think you need to reread my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'd respectfully suggest you read the story again. She put her hands on him.

Oh look it's our resident victim blamer. No matter what the situation is you always blame the woman, even calling rape victims prostitutes. If you really are a woman you have serious issues.

He slapped her first. Then she hit him back and tried to leave. Then he followed her around the house assaulting and verbally abusing followed by a last act of humiliation, before she called the guards. Do you really think that was a proportionate response to her shoving food into his face? do you really think she is at fault here? I suspect that if the genders were reversed in this situation you would be singing a different tune
    Moody was eating a takeaway and she pushed it into his shirt and face.

The defendant slapped his girlfriend in the face and she slapped him back, bloodying his nose.

He followed her to a bedroom, where he punched her in the back, knocking her to the ground.

While she was on the floor, he kicked her "numerous times" to the hip area and to the body, Gda Byrne said.

The victim got up and Moody pushed her onto the bed.

"He poured a can of Coke over her hair, her body and her clothes," the garda said.

She then left that bedroom and locked herself in another bedroom, but he kicked the door and continued to be verbally abusive to her.

She phoned gardai, who attended the scene.

The victim was taken by gardai to her friend's house that night and saw a doctor the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

she was being sarcastic.

Are you been sarcastic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Apologies, I miss read your post! My blood was boiling 😂 so relieved I got it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

From the account, she doesn't seem blameless at all but if your relationship is 'toxic', she chucks a takeaway over you and slaps are exchanged, you walk out and don't ever come back.

You don't proceed to give her a hiding and kick down the door?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gozunda wrote: »
    The only person anyone can blame for losing their temper is themselves. Each individual is the master of their own rational and their reaction to external events. 'Blaming' someone else for your behaviour is akin to a three year old saying "he/ she made me do it"

As for the the next statement of

What if they were a same sex couple or it was the woman who followed/punched/ kicked their partner- would that make for a different judgement from you?

As for the rest- it really does not warrant any further comment tbh.

And you are a category mod? Wow....

I'm not sure if you missed the sarcasm or if you got it and are arguing against it

• Advertisement

I really hate this backlash against feminism and people reaching for the whole "oh well if a woman throws a slap she deserves to get a slap back".

I'll continue to believe that any man who reacts to a woman throwing a dig in the same way is a scumbag, any man who reacts in the way set out in the OP is an utter utter scumbag who deserves jail time, and I'll still hold a door open for a woman and walk on the outside of the footpath. I know it'll provoke a reaction from a few here but meh, it's just the way I was brought up, I ain't gonna change at 44...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Some people think the answer to the apparent vilification of the male gender is to vilify the female gender in return.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

From the account, she doesn't seem blameless at all but if your relationship is 'toxic', she chucks a takeaway over you and slaps are exchanged, you walk out and don't ever come back.

You don't proceed to give her a hiding and kick down the door?

I agree and that is exactly how i would handle it. I would not stay with someone who resorted to violence when they lost their temper.

• Site Banned Posts: 15 Dancing Inferno

Am I supposed to feel sorry for her? Here's an idea, don't provoke people bigger and stronger than you.

• Site Banned Posts: 15 Dancing Inferno

RayM wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    You're completely skipping over what I'm actually saying in your desperation to make your preconceived point.

In what way do you think the victim shares any blame for the actions of a man who chased her into a room, punched her to the floor, repeatedly kicked her, and then - when she managed to lock herself in another room - proceeded to kick the door in? If you think the blame lies with anyone other than the attacker in this case, you are one seriously messed up individual.
    She shares the blame by starting **** in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Sesame wrote: »
    Typical, his future at stake, his reputation. Let's not give him a conviction. No mention of the girls future and trauma she will have to deal with in the future.
    I wouldn't let that man near me or my children in a mendical setting and will look out for his name in the future. You can be sure, as his precious career takes off, he will wipe his name from google history.

He should never be allowed onto the medical register.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Op must be friends with or related to this scummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

darkdubh wrote: »
    Op must be friends with or related to this scummer.
    Nope. Just my opinion is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

I really hate this backlash against feminism and people reaching for the whole "oh well if a woman throws a slap she deserves to get a slap back".

I'll continue to believe that any man who reacts to a woman throwing a dig in the same way is a scumbag, any man who reacts in the way set out in the OP is an utter utter scumbag who deserves jail time, and I'll still hold a door open for a woman and walk on the outside of the footpath. I know it'll provoke a reaction from a few here but meh, it's just the way I was brought up, I ain't gonna change at 44...

Has any man ever gotten laid by blindly defending women this way? Genuinely curious because in the real world I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Gijoseph wrote: »
    Has any man ever gotten laid by blindly defending women this way? Genuinely curious because in the real world I haven't seen it.

'cos getting laid is the reason for everything?! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

'cos getting laid is the reason for everything?! :rolleyes:

I just don't get the logic of women are always innocent even if they assault you. Hence why I came to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I just don't get the logic of women are always innocent even if they assault you. Hence why I came to that conclusion.

nobody has stated in this thread that women are always innocent even if they assault you.
    what has been stated is that a reaction must be proportionate to the original act. this chap did not do that, he violently asalted his girlfriend, a disproportionate reaction for what was a minor (all be it) unacceptible thing to do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Totally agree this lad went too far and didn't get the punishment deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Hoboo

nobody has stated in this thread that women are always innocent even if they assault you.
    what has been stated is that a reaction must be proportionate to the original act. this chap did not do that, he violently asalted his girlfriend, a disproportionate reaction for what was a minor (all be it) unacceptible thing to do.

Completely agree. What a proportionate reaction is is arguable. What isn't is no one should ever assault someone in any way no matter how trivial it is to them. Expect a reaction, and it may be disproportionate unfortunately.

It's not the most highbrow point I have seen...:D

Do you think the undercurrent of fear that violence brings to a relationship adds a nice frisson to "getting laid"? I wouldn't know, but genuinely curious and you have jumped to associating violence with "getting laid".

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Just for comparison I've found a similar case below.
    He's not a medical student or of a high up echelon in society. He was remanded in custody until sentencing. Didn't see the outcome but he was treated quite differently to the Hugh Moody case.
    The girlfriend was attacked and beaten. She was unconscious so maybe a more serious attack but treated very differently. Even the language in the article describe the man who "ferociously” beat his ex-girlfriend" compared to Hugh Moody who "knocked her to the floor" (almost as if it was an accidental elbow knocked her over). No mention of the first man's future either.

I really think journalist need to be aware of their preconceptions and judgements in these cases. Domestic violence knows nothing about bounds and covers all classes, races and ages.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-who-ferociously-beat-ex-girlfriend-over-new-partner-to-be-assessed-for-community-service-1.3000261%3fmode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Should he be deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Billy86 wrote: »
    Should he be deported?

Yeah, to Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Kicking her on the ground isn't a beating?

You need to look at this within the context of the law, not your emotions or societal taboos.

Does the law change when the sex of the perpetrator and/or victim is different? I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure it's applied the same across the board and sentencing guidelines are the same as well.

With that in mind let's just say that both parties were males. Male A comes home with a takeaway and sits down to eat it. Male B shoves it in his face and then hits him. Male A follows him into another room and gives him a dig, a few boots and pours a can of pop on him.
    What should be the punishment for male A?

I'm aware that in this case the parties were male and female and that hitting a girl/woman no matter what the provocation is taboo but does the law see it that way?

Is the punishment for assaulting a woman in exact the same way as assaulting a man the same or not?

I'm pretty sure booze was involved too. I'm sure both parties were drunk and held severe animosity/contempt for each other when pissed. I'm pretty sure the girl knew exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction. I've seen it before, petty, nasty, spiteful, vindictive behaviour by a female in a relationship doing things just to hurt or humiliate the male and force a reaction.
    Doesn't excuse him kicking her but if she was in a pub or restaurant and took it upon herself to throw a meal into another woman's face and then clattered that woman and the woman beat the sh1t out of her in retaliation most people would say that woman A got everything she deserved and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Chrongen wrote: »
    You need to look at this within the context of the law, not your emotions or societal taboos.

Does the law change when the sex of the perpetrator and/or victim is different? I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure it's applied the same across the board and sentencing guidelines are the same as well.

With that in mind let's just say that both parties were males. Male A comes home with a takeaway and sits down to eat it. Male B shoves it in his face and then hits him. Male A follows him into another room and gives him a dig, a few boots and pours a can of pop on him.
    What should be the punishment for male A?

I'm aware that in this case the parties were male and female and that hitting a girl/woman no matter what the provocation is taboo but does the law see it that way?

Is the punishment for assaulting a woman in exact the same way as assaulting a man the same or not?

I'm pretty sure booze was involved too. I'm sure both parties were drunk and held severe animosity/contempt for each other when pissed. I'm pretty sure the girl knew exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction. I've seen it before, petty, nasty, spiteful, vindictive behaviour by a female in a relationship doing things just to hurt or humiliate the male and force a reaction.
    Doesn't excuse him kicking her but if she was in a pub or restaurant and took it upon herself to throw a meal into another woman's face and then clattered that woman and the woman beat the sh1t out of her in retaliation most people would say that woman A got everything she deserved and more.

"Retaliation" will get you prison time. Proportionate self defense is legal, retaliation isn't.

Advertisement