Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options
  • 03-12-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

See link here.

Reading the circumstances of this, sounds like there were a pair of them in it. Yes, he kicked her when she was down but not sure why she wasn't charged with assault also?

I am a woman btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I guess men are supposed to walk away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's a woman's world these days, men are all bullies/potential rapists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I guess men are supposed to walk away

Or at least not follow her out of the room to knock her to the ground and kick her repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Following her to the bedroom after she walked away. Punching her to the ground, kicking her while she's on the ground. She locks herself in another room. He tries to kick the door in.

I'm all for pointing out double standards and inequality but doesn't really apply here. Only thing that'll annoy me here is that he'll get off lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Outside of throwing a takeaway at him I'm not sure what she did to deserve a beating...am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm sorry but for what he did he should getting more than a €500 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

€5000 compensation he has to pay her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

maxsmum wrote: »
    See link here.

Reading the circumstances of this, sounds like there were a pair of them in it. Yes, he kicked her when she was down but not sure why she wasn't charged with assault also?

I am a woman btw.

What started as a normal domestic turned brutal. So no. He was worse than her. And all he got was a 5,000 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Outside of throwing a takeaway at him I'm not sure what she did to deserve a beating...am I missing something?

Article says that they both slapped each other before he beat her. I'm not condoning his actions but it wasn't one sided for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I just think they both behaved disgracefully, there was clearly provocation in a heated relationship and yes he ended up behaving brutally but she certainly escalated it. He gets named and disgraced, she doesn't and both have careers that require Garda clearance and professional body approval.
    If I had behaved like that in the context of what sounds like a toxic relationship, I personally wouldn't have pursued a prosecution. I would never give him the time of day again but I too think it was a case of taking two to tango.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

She assaulted him first with the takeaway. Who then slapped first I wonder to escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Typical, his future at stake, his reputation. Let's not give him a conviction. No mention of the girls future and trauma she will have to deal with in the future.
    I wouldn't let that man near me or my children in a mendical setting and will look out for his name in the future. You can be sure, as his precious career takes off, he will wipe his name from google history.

She pushed it into his face and then slapped him, and a beating seems a bit of a stretch. Not defending the guy but I agree with op, they were both to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sesame wrote: »
    Typical, his future at stake, his reputation. Let's not give him a conviction. No mention of the girls future and trauma she will have to deal with in the future.
    But sure didn't she get a big wad of sweaty money off him, the cure to all ills.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

It's fairly clear he escalated the violence and this resulted in her needing to call the guards as her life felt at risk.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    She pushed it into his face and then slapped him, and a beating seems a bit of a stretch. Not defending the guy but I agree with op, they were both to blame

You are defending the guy. After the slaps here is what happened.

Moody followed her to a bedroom, where he punched her in the back and knocked her to the floor.
    He then kicked her "numerous times", said Gda Byrne.

When the victim got up, Moody pushed her on to the bed and poured a can of Coke over her hair, her body and her clothes.
    The victim then left the room and locked herself in another bedroom. When Moody started kicking and banging on the door, she phoned gardai, who arrived soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I haven't read the article, but I'm sure it ends with him being let off because he has such a good future in medicine ahead of him. Happens all the time when medical students end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

McGaggs wrote: »
    I haven't read the article, but I'm sure it ends with him being let off because he has such a good future in medicine ahead of him. Happens all the time when medical students end up in court.

Or, maybe because there were mitigating circumstances and because he has never offended before. That happens all the time with most first offenders, actually. Read the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Kicking her on the ground isn't a beating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

jeonahr wrote: »
    Article says that they both slapped each other before he beat her. I'm not condoning his actions but it wasn't one sided for sure.

He followed her to beat the living daylights out of her. Slapping while I oppose it is not remotely comparable. His behaviour veers into highly disturbing and unhinged. Sounds like he could easily have killed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a lesson to us all. Don't start fights you can't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

maxsmum wrote: »
    Or, maybe because there were mitigating circumstances and because he has never offended before. That happens all the time with most first offenders, actually. Read the article.

I was referring to this one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/25/oxford-student-judge-suggested-bright-prison-spared-jail-stabbing/

This lad would be €5k richer if he had a vagina.

It's a lesson to us all. Don't start fights you can't finish.

And don't waste a good bag of chips at 330am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Nothing on After Hours surprises me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I recall an older man giving advice to young men.
    He said when you come home with a skinful go straight up the stairs to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Sounds like you were there. Seem to know the exact sequence of events and the power of each slap, punch and kick. Not like you're unsubtly exaggerating her part and downplaying his part to fit your agenda.

His lawyer described it as a moment of madness. Wonder what he was capable of if she wasn't locked in a room.

Surely even if this wasn’t a relationship it’s still assault.

Person A slaps Person B.

Person B slaps back and knocks person A to the floor, kicking person A while down and throwing a drink over him or her. Person A escapes, hides in a locked room which person B tries to break into. In fear of his or her life person A calls the police.

That’s not proportionate self defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's a woman's world these days, men are all bullies/potential rapists

Tell me about it. Can't even punch a woman to the ground, repeatedly kick her, pour coke all over her, and then, when she manages to escape to another room, try to kick the door in without ending up in court. It's just so tough being a man these days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Fixed your post

Person A slaps Person B.

Person B slaps back. Person A leaves the room and is followed by Person B who then and knocks person A to the floor, kicking person A while down and throwing a drink over him or her. Person A leaves the room again, hides in a locked room which person B tries to break into. In fear of his or her life person A calls the police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Person A slaps Person B.

Person B slaps back and knocks person A to the floor, kicking person A while down and throwing a drink over him or her. Person A escapes, hides in a locked room which person B tries to break into. In fear of his or her life person A calls the police.

Person B then gets no conviction and treated very fairly by the judge if they pay compensation to person A?

Advertisement