Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I looked this cretin up on Facebook out of curiosity and nosiness. He's shared several quotes from Nigel Farrage.

I didn't need the help making my mind up about him...but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Chrongen wrote: »
    And I will say otherwise. I stated that most people would say that a woman in the scenario that I described got everything she deserved.

If a mother neglects, beats, tortures or even kills her children and is sent to prison then I would say she got what she deserved just as much as if a father did the same thing. There's nothing deep-rooted or misogynistic about that as you claim is your opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion but in this case, quite frankly, your opinion is inane.

So mysoginistic tendencies are the norm according to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Deserves everything they get, really? The law says otherwise anyway but do you really think that?

I might be missing something here but yes, I do believe that anyone who uses psychological or physical abuse to a partner on a sustained, unprovoked basis does deserve absolutely everything the law can give them.

They seem to rarely get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Makes sense, and I'm not condoning the reaction. But not all perpetrators of violence are dangers to society. Case in point would be a bullying victim. He/she may snap one day and pummel the tar out of their tormentor in a fit or uncontrollable rage but they would never dream of hurting anyone else ever. I don't think this guy is a danger to society either. Maybe an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal if he adheres to certain conditions such as attending some anger management sessions, is squeaky clean for the next couple of years, etc.

I'm loathe to give guys a pass just because they have a "bright career" ahead of them and certainly I despise seeing rich kids get sprung because daddy has influence like those scum who killed the guy outside annabel's nightclub. But by the same token I don't see how society is served by handing this guy a conviction that will effectively put an end to his medical career. The woman also assaulted him. Should they both be convicted and stricken from the medical register or whatever the Pharmacist equivalent is?

The woman instigated the altercation, I don't think you'll find someone who can or would argue otherwise. However, he did not press charges for assault, so she can't be charged.
    In my mind this incident is in two stages.
    Stage 1 she throws chips and a slap, he throws a slap. At this point someone has to make a choice to de-escalate the situation so she leaves the room. At this point she has slapped him and for want of a better expression "got her comeuppance"
    stage 2
    he follows her punches her, knocks her to the ground, kicks her, pours coke on her, follows her again when she leaves and tries to break down the door of the room she's hiding in.
    There are 5 actions he took in this stage, he had the opportunity to stop and de-escalate 5 times and didn't. He's not a victim here.

Stage 1 should never have happened, but it's not an excuse for a sustained attack. It should have ended when he slapped her and she walked away. Had that happened there would be no case she hit him, he hit her back had they called the police then he could have pressed assault charges and claimed self defence. it is arguably fair, and in that scenario she'd have a criminal record and it would impact her career.

He made the choice to follow her and further escalate the situation, and so is to blame for everything that happened after that and should be held accountable for it, I have a big problem with the idea that you can beat the crap out of someone and if you can afford to pay them compensation then that's it. I'd like to see perpetrators of this nature with a record of assault, mandated anger management, and some community service. Buying his way out of the scenario isn't going to serve him or society in the long run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I might be missing something here but yes, I do believe that anyone who uses psychological or physical abuse to a partner on a sustained, unprovoked basis does deserve absolutely everything the law can give them.

They seem to rarely get it though.

Ah you meant everything the law can give them? I thought you meant like in a physical beating way, that it's ok to beat the **** out of someone because they started it. I don't have anything against violence being returned when necesarry but within a similar level if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Ah you meant everything the law can give them? I thought you meant like in a physical beating way, that it's ok to beat the **** out of someone because they started it. I don't have anything against violence being returned when necesarry but within a similar level if you know what I mean.

Totally!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The woman instigated the altercation, I don't think you'll find someone who can or would argue otherwise. However, he did not press charges for assault, so she can't be charged.
    Stage 1 she throws chips and a slap, he throws a slap. At this point someone has to make a choice to de-escalate the situation so she leaves the room. At this point she has slapped him and for want of a better expression "got her comeuppance"
    stage 2
    he follows her punches her, knocks her to the ground, kicks her, pours coke on her, follows her again when she leaves and tries to break down the door of the room she's hiding in.
    There are 5 actions he took in this stage, he had the opportunity to stop and de-escalate 5 times and didn't. He's not a victim here.

Stage 1 should never have happened, but it's not an excuse for a sustained attack. It should have ended when he slapped her and she walked away. Had that happened there would be no case she hit him, he hit her back had they called the police then he could have pressed assault charges and claimed self defence. it is arguably fair, and in that scenario she'd have a criminal record and it would impact her career.

He made the choice to follow her and further escalate the situation, and so is to blame for everything that happened after that and should be held accountable for it, I have a big problem with the idea that you can beat the crap out of someone and if you can afford to pay them compensation then that's it. I'd like to see perpetrators of this nature with a record of assault, mandated anger management, and some community service. Buying his way out of the scenario isn't going to serve him or society in the long run.

He slapped her first, she slapped him back. Then the sustained attack started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I might be missing something here

A sense of perspective, maybe?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He slapped her first, she slapped him back. Then the sustained attack started

Oh! The indo article doesn't specify who went first. I just read it on the Herald now. He doesn't deserve to get away with only a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

So mysoginistic tendencies are the norm according to you?

No they're not. Are you going out of your way to get the wrong end of the stick or are you just being immature by playing games?

Are you trying state that if a person thinks it's a good thing that Myra Hindley wound up behind bars, or Molly Martens Corbett or Amy Fisher then they are a misogynist?

Please, don't waste my damn time.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I might be missing something here

A sense of perspective, maybe?

Any need for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

No they're not. Are you going out of your way to get the wrong end of the stick or are you just being immature by playing games?

Are you trying state that if a person thinks it's a good thing that Myra Hindley wound up behind bars, or Molly Martens Corbett or Amy Fisher then they are a misogynist?

Please, don't waste my damn time.

So you are projecting mysoginistic tendencies on the masses on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

stage 2

You make very good points. It appears he did lose the rag and go overboard. I don't think he should be rewarded for what he did but by the same token I don't think this should ruin his life. I would be in favour of a sealed record so that while there is no visible conviction to destroy his medical career any further transgressions down the line and the seal is opened and the conviction implemented and made public. That to me would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Doc07

Just to clarify one factor as the article doesn't make it clear:

This man a medical student at some stage but did not graduate as a doctor and was never on the medical register.

I looked this cretin up on Facebook out of curiosity and nosiness. He's shared several quotes from Nigel Farrage.

I didn't need the help making my mind up about him...but still.

there are several threads about him on twitter from ex-housemates and schoolmates, none are positive.

He is apparently well known in his hometown for leaving 'you look ugly' comments on random girls instagram pictures, as well as using multiple Facebook accounts to send messages to people about their dead relatives. Old housemates say he has no ability to talk to or form relationships with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

It's a man pushing food into a woman's face.

Whereas you've directly posted that a woman pushing food into a man's face is nothing.

Fine, blindly carry on white knighting.
    There is zero justification for his behaviour. If it was two men, I would have the exact same feelings. People have died as a result of similar events. You have a seriously messed up view of the case but this seems to be par for the course given your remarks on rape and sexual harassment. It's a deeply worrying attitude.
    You make very good points. It appears he did lose the rag and go overboard. I don't think he should be rewarded for what he did but by the same token I don't think this should ruin his life. I would be in favour of a sealed record so that while there is no visible conviction to destroy his medical career any further transgressions down the line and the seal is opened and the conviction implemented and made public. That to me would be fair.

If he killed a woman the next time then he could have his good name tarnished instead? His behaviour was entirely warped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's a man pushing food into a woman's face.

Whereas you've directly posted that a woman pushing food into a man's face is nothing.

Fine, blindly carry on white knighting.

This is the funniest post on this whole thread. YOU PP are accusing people white knighting?

I don't know what I would call what you're doing but I would say it's even worse than of white knighting.

It's just screaming out, "I'm a woman but I think the rest of them are all bitches and men are saints". It's either for male attention or you're a WMO.

Can't figure out which.

Not at all. But would you call what she did "assault"? Forget about what HE did. We can all agree that his actions amounted to assault.

Should she be charged too with some degree of assault or affray or some reduced charge? She did after all slap him as well. Should she be convicted and stricken from the register?

Did he complain? Is there some suggestion that he went to the police and said he was the victim of an assault and they questioned her about the food-pushing aspect, or the slap?

Sure if he didn't regard himself as having been assaulted, and she wasn't charged with assault, the issue is all very moot. Isn't it? You say "she did after all slap him". I'm not sure that was ever put to her in the case at all. We can't make any presumptions about her conduct, she wasn't in the dock.

"All women are bitches....except me. I'm cool like you guys. Totally got your back."

Candie wrote: »
    "All women are bitches....except me. I'm cool like you guys. Totally got your back."

All my friends are men too.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    All my friends are men too.

Girls are just soo bitchy, I can't stand being around them. So shallow and entitled.

I'm like one of the guys, really.

Why? I think he should be held accountable for his actions. If we were talking about a parking fine or other minor misdemeanour, a sealed record would be grand, but a violent assault on another human especially when this man wants to work in a caring profession, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

She should have read her Machiavelli

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please.
    If you start a fight, be it physical, verbal, or emotional, you might not find it as easy to withdraw as you might like. You may find you bit off more than you could chew, and suddenly have to deal with the consequences of your actions. And that can get ugly very quickly.

http://philosiblog.com/2012/10/06/wars-begin-when-you-will-but-they-do-not-end-when-you-please/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

dresden8 wrote: »
    She should have read her Machiavelli

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please.

http://philosiblog.com/2012/10/06/wars-begin-when-you-will-but-they-do-not-end-when-you-please/

Why in the name of Christ are you behaving as if it was deserved? It reads almost as if you're gloating about a violent assault. He committed an extreme form of violence alongside humiliating her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Why in the name of Christ are you behaving as if it was deserved? It reads almost as if you're gloating about a violent assault. He committed an extreme form of violence alongside humiliating her.

Where did I say she deserved it.

But the fact remains, she waited up until 3.30 am to start a fight. And she got one. She made the first move. Should have read her Machiavelli.

+1

Think about it logically - we wanted equality. No one would bat an eyelid if two men had a bit of a barney so why is there such a catastrophe when it happens to a woman ??
    /QUOTE]

Of course they would, someone on this thread mentioned the attack outside Annabels over which there was plenty of public outcry.

Do you think nobody would care if this was a case of him and his boyfriend and he assaulted him in this way? guess what, he'd still be an animal and deserving of any punishment the courts doled out to him

dresden8 wrote: »
    Where did I say she deserved it.

But the fact remains, she waited up until 3.30 am to start a fight. And she got one. She made the first move. Should have read her Machiavelli.

Well if she made the first move then sure why didn't he go ahead and finish her off? what did she expect? few chips in the face, sure that's worthy of a beating. Machiavellian Justice! let's dispense with the courts altogether!

Well if she made the first move then sure why didn't he go ahead and finish her off? what did she expect? few chips in the face, sure that's worthy of a beating. Machiavellian Justice! let's dispense with the courts altogether!

Worthy of a killing if you ask me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh! The indo article doesn't specify who went first. I just read it on the Herald now. He doesn't deserve to get away with only a fine
    If he hit her first it sounds to me like he took umbrage at her slapping him back and decided to teach her a lesson.

Should she have thrown/pushed food in his face, of course not. But it should have ended there or when they'd each gotten a slap in. She walked away and he went after her with the intention to do serious damage.

• Advertisement

Gijoseph wrote: »
    I was responding to your post that stated all women are innocent delicate flowers that wouldn't hurt a fly.

Yeah, except that wasn't a post?

Advertisement