Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I ever get in trouble for decking a bloke in a drunken fight I'm calling you as character witnesses.

Sure I have a rack therefore I'm never guilty eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I ever get in trouble for decking a bloke in a drunken fight I'm calling you as character witnesses.

WTF??

How did yous pull that conclusion out of this??

To go off rails altogether....why not use example of a toddler what throw food at someone....could you condone chasing them down,knocking them over and kicking them??

WTF??

How did yous pull that conclusion out of this??

To go off rails altogether....why not use example of a toddler what throw food at someone....could you condone chasing them down,knocking them over and kicking them??

No because the toddler may not know better.

However you would of course explain that actions have consequences and if you start a fight you may end off worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

jeonahr wrote: »
    Since he had just come home from a night out what's the likelihood that he was drunk? If so, it changes things slightly, especially since he's a first time offender and was initially provoked.

Then perhaps he needs to look at himself and his behaviour after a few pints. Being drunk is no justification. If that were the case I'd have a skin full tomorrow and knock over the local Post Office. Christmas is coming after all, times are tight. And sure, I was drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

sabat wrote: »
    Given that there's no mention of any injuries or medical attention being required, I'd say the assault wasn't as bad as some people here are inferring.

Eh, the judge literally specifies.
    "What this woman went through is horrific," said the judge.

Even if, physical injuries are limited. There's clearly gonna be a psychological impact from such an event. People seem to desperate to diminish the seriousness of his actions...

• Advertisement

However you would of course explain that actions have consequences and if you start a fight you may end off worse.

Again, he didn't raise the defence that she started it.

We have to be very careful. Words like "manipulation" don't help, as it suggests she contrived and controlled the situation to achieve an end she wanted, which seems unlikely. A word like "provocation" might be less inflammatory...but again he didn't he say that. There is no suggestion whatsoever from the accused that she did anything that contributed in any way to the sustained violence to which she was subjected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

sabat wrote: »
    Given that there's no mention of any injuries or medical attention being required, I'd say the assault wasn't as bad as some people here are inferring.

She attended a doctor the next day according to the herald.ie article

In fairness, the description given in the article sounds pretty bad. No one is "inferring" anything.

Again, he didn't raise the defence that she started it.

We have to be very careful. Words like "manipulation" don't help, as it suggests she contrived and controlled the situation to achieve an end she wanted, which seems unlikely. A word like "provocation" might be less inflammatory...but again he didn't he say that. There is no suggestion whatsoever from the accused that she did anything that contributed in any way to the sustained violence to which she was subjected.

I'd respectfully suggest you read the story again. She put her hands on him.

And he slapped her back. If you think fair is fair then that's where it ends.

She walked away, he followed her and assaulted her.

In the entire history of law, "putting hands on someone" is not per se a defence to being accused of punching and kicking to the ground.

There are related defences, like self defence, or mitigating issues like provocation. Neither was raised in this case.

I'd respectfully suggest you get some grasp of the issues you raise.

• Advertisement

The verdict hasn't indicated any sort of 'manipulation'.... Even the very idea that a person could be manipulated to do what he did is indicative of him being a pretty awful individual. This is not the story of a man who is suffering unfair consequences, it's too restrained a punishment if anything.

This makes what follows somehow less serious in your eyes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

And he responded by... uh... chasing her around the house and "putting his foot on her", repeatedly and with force. Your posts are so weird and illogical, I'm not even sure what kind of point you're trying to make.

This makes what follows somehow less serious in your eyes??

Is that what I said ? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The pouring of the coke over her actually disgusts me. The whole thing is sickening but that is truly vile.

What are you trying to say?

So why mention it??

So why mention it??

Because another poster was trying to say it never happened.

I had the misfortune to know a woman like this many years ago. She boasted how she'd hit her boyfriend, "I own him and he can't do anything".

I suggested once that he could go to the police and she very confidently stated "they'd believe me not him".

She was right them and she'd be even more right in the current world. My own gender sicken me at times.

I had the misfortune to know a woman like this many years ago. She boasted how she'd hit her boyfriend, "I own him and he can't do anything".

I suggested once that he could go to the police and she very confidently stated "they'd believe me not him".

She was right them and she'd be even more right in the current world. My own gender sicken me at times.

You've got a phenomenal amount of experience of women being sexist. Phenomenal. You've a relevant anecdote for all these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You don't need to lose any sleep it seems, over your sickening gender or sickening victims in general:
    A Garda Inspectorate report detailed particular problems with attitudes towards domestic violence within the force, finding some complaints were treated as a waste of time.

Some members of the force displayed "negative attitudes" towards domestic violence by referring to calls as problematic, time-consuming and a waste of resources, the findings which were published today reported.

The investigation found domestic crime incidents recorded under non-crime categories.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-report-details-problems-in-force-with-attitudes-to-domestic-violence-30736992.html

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »

You've got a phenomenal amount of experience of women being sexist. Phenomenal. You've a relevant anecdote for all these threads.

She was very passive aggressive also. You'd get on well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Uboat wrote: »
    "Hugh Moody (23) attacked the trainee pharmacist when she pushed a takeaway meal in his face."

She started it therefore he was right.

Seriously - what age are you?

Judging by this, you're something of a master yourself!

Honestly based on many of your posts, it seems like you have it in for women in general. Trying to vilify whenever you have the chance.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Honestly based on many of your posts, it seems like you have it in for women in general. Trying to vilify whenever you have the chance.

Strangely enough I actually think that poster is a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bluewolf wrote: »
    She probably provoked him into it. Women should definitely take the blame for everything and anything that happens to them. Probably a stupid feminist who thinks men should be 2nd class citizens anyway.

The only person anyone can blame for losing their temper is themselves. Each individual is the master of their own rational and their reaction to external events. 'Blaming' someone else for your behaviour is akin to a three year old saying "he/ she made me do it"

As for the the next statement of
    bluewolf wrote:
    Women should definitely take the blame for everything and anything that happens to them

What if they were a same sex couple or it was the woman who followed/punched/ kicked their partner- would that make for a different judgement from you?

As for the rest- it really does not warrant any further comment tbh.

And you are a category mod? Wow....

This had literally zero to do with this case?

There is noone anywhere implying this woman was abusing her boyfriend here

There was no action this wan took/done what justified getting knocked,kicked and chased about the house?

They were living together 3 weeks...there is nothing here to imply a sustained pattern of abuse...

..have you perhaps taught of therapy if your willing to apply actions of one person and damn an entire gendar for it....as this is essentially the flip side of extreme feminism??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Collie D wrote: »
    Strangely enough I actually think that poster is a woman.

She claims to be, but she's been very vocal in the recent abuse threads, always finding faults in female victims - a typical "I'm with the guys" cool girl persona.

To push food in someone's face is a nasty and shameful thing, but she got it right back and more the moment he started with the slaps. And nothing justifies what happened later when he went after her in a full psycho mode. How could anyone focus on the victims actions is beyond me. For the record, I'd say the same about a "a lad gets in someone's face in the chipper, is beaten up and glassed in response".

Peter Parker the irony of your posts is that you yourself actually stand for the very thing you seem to think you're the anthesis of.
    You're just reversing the genders.

• Advertisement

Guess what, she could have held a knife to this throat and been threatening to kill him and I still think he would be solely to blame for kicking the living shlt out of her.

Advertisement