Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

What a weird post

Not in the slightest. She needs to learn that she can't shove food in someone's face and slap people and he needs to learn he can't punch and kick people.

I'm a little concerned that so many people seem to gloss over her part in the whole incident.

Here is a good rule of thumb for everyone men and women, don't physically assault anybody. Control yourself and use words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

backspin. wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. She needs to learn that she can't shove food in someone's face and slap people and he needs to learn he can't punch and kick people.

I'm a little concerned that so many people seem to gloss over her part in the whole incident.

Here is a good rule of thumb for everyone men and women, don't physically assault anybody. Control yourself and use words.

I believe it was using words that escalated it to violence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yes they both behaved disgracefully but he brougjt it to a new level behaving like he did.
    Would he havw have gotten off so lightly if he wasnt a med student. Is that supposed to make a person be judged differently?

But you don't even know if a complaint was made.

I mean, did he go to the Gardai to make a statement and press for her to be prosecuted? If he has glossed over her role, why are you equating the matters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He followed her to beat the living daylights out of her. Slapping while I oppose it is not remotely comparable. His behaviour veers into highly disturbing and unhinged. Sounds like he could easily have killed her.

Ah ffs grow up
    Killed her is a mad escalation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The boundaries and dynamics in abusive relationships are often totally off. A lot of time the victim is goaded into violence and verbal abuse also which the abuser can then use to blame them for "retaliating", which is usually completely out of proportion to the original offense. They deserved it, they are just as bad or even they are in fact the abuser etc. It's all part of the manipulation

So, I don't think that she deserved this in anyway or played any part in being assaulted. Id put money on her behaviour being a result of being in an abusive relationship and part of a wider pattern of abuse

Also pouring the coke on her after beating her was purely for humiliation. This guy is a nasty bastard, I'm glad she got away from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The boundaries and dynamics in abusive relationships are often totally off. A lot of time the victim is goaded into violence and verbal abuse also which the abuser can then use to blame them for "retaliating", which is usually completely out of proportion to the original offense. They deserved it, they are just as bad or even they are in fact the abuser etc. It's all part of the manipulation

So, I don't think that she deserved this in anyway or played any part in being assaulted. Id put money on her behaviour being a result of being in an abusive relationship and part of a wider pattern of abuse

Tbh the article sort of reads like she was thick/cross (for whatever reason)

and waited up for him to come in from night out and row escalated from there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

maxsmum wrote: »
    See link here.

Reading the circumstances of this, sounds like there were a pair of them in it. Yes, he kicked her when she was down but not sure why she wasn't charged with assault also?

I am a woman btw.

Because:
    Moody followed her to a bedroom, where he punched her in the back and knocked her to the floor.
    He then kicked her "numerous times", said Gda Byrne.

The charge is for assault causing harm, not simple assault. If the genders were reversed, I'm pretty sure the law would be applied in exactly the same way.

So, I don't think that she deserved this in anyway or played any part in being assaulted.

Food in face? Slapping him? No part you say??

Are you seriously saying she was justified in doing that? Are you saying woman can hit men when angry but it's up to men to control themselves and never retaliate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are you seriously saying she was justified in doing that? Are you saying woman can hit men when angry but it's up to men to control themselves and never retaliate?
    He slapped her first, it says so in an evening herald article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

He wouldn't be safe to left alone with a female patient in a room

Tired from a long shift, you wouldn't know what he'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nobody is saying she was right. she was wrong for what she did. however, his reaction outweighs anything she did by miles.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I'm saying that manipulative abusers know exactly how to wind up their victim so that they can justify their abuse of them and even blame them for it (that applies to both males and females btw) I would view her behaviour through the lens of an abusive relationship. I highly doubt this was the first violent incident. She is not to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'm saying that manipulative abusers know exactly how to wind up their victim so that they can justify their abuse of them and even blame them for it (that applies to both males and females btw) I would view her behaviour through the lens of an abusive relationship. I highly doubt this was the first violent incident. She is not to blame

Id view it through the lens of an abusive relationship too. If she pushed food in his face so easily, maybe it wasn't the first time she did something like that? Maybe she'd done similar before and never had a reaction. Now what he did was OTT, but maybe it was her doing the long term abuse? Is she the manipulative abuser, winding up her victim so she can justify it, and blame him?

If you're gonna go around pushing food in peoples faces, or being physical, its gonna come back on you, male or female. She won't do that again.

Patww79 wrote: »
    From the sounds of it she did all the manipulating for the incident to happen. What you say is probably true, you just have the wrong person.

Yes, the person who was kicked and punched after trying to get away and then had a can of coke poured over her as she was lying injured is clearly the abuser in this situation.

Get a grip

Hoboo wrote: »
    Is she the manipulative abuser, winding up her victim so she can justify it, and blame him?

Can't see that suggested in the coverage.

Can you point to where it was said or argued? I mean, he was facing a serious charge, presumably if he was in fact the victim he could have used it in his defence.

If not, it seems to be harsh to imply blame to the victim of a savage assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

I'm assuming drink had been consumed by one or both people before this incident. If not then they have issues that need to be addressed.
    As the saying goes What stays inside sober comes out drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Can't see that suggested in the coverage.

Can you point to where it was said or argued? I mean, he was facing a serious charge, presumably if he was in fact the victim he could have used it in his defence.

If not, it seems to be harsh to imply blame to the victim of a savage assault.

Im replying to another post :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ah, "pushing his buttons", was she? You even use the language of an abuser. You seem like some piece of work.

She is not to blame

I have never raised my hand to anybody in my life, man, woman or child. So I can not imagine ever shoving food in someone's face or beating someone up. I know there are violent people out there so the best course of action is to never assault anyone.

He was a brute doing what he did but she was not blameless. Shoving food in someone's face is a disgusting thing to do. And nobody should be surprised at things turning violent from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just a fancy way of saying ‘she was asking for it’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You were talking about instigation. The person who acted first and was pushing buttons. There's a lot more to it than your man bad woman good tripe.

I'm not seeing how you can manipulate someone into pouring drink over you after they've beaten you to the ground after a chase. Regardless of their gender. One must be a seriously messed up individual to be capable of it. It's not a random single punch situation.
    This person should be kept away from medical professions (as should be the infamous student from UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Do you think she should, in some way, be blamed for getting punched to the ground and repeatedly kicked?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Im replying to another post :rolleyes:

I know you were.

In your reply you raised the possibility that she was abusive.

It's not something that was remotely suggested in the case. We can certainly analyse his conduct, he was in the dock pleading guilty to a very serious assault. She wasn't.

A test for people. Go down to your local chippy tonight after the nightclubs have closed. Find some drunk guy much bigger than you and shove his curry chips in his face. Let me know how things go for you?

• Advertisement

But he was entitled to raise the claim that she instigated it.

He didn't. Why would we?

Advertisement