Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Try take gender out of it for a minute. If it were another man the verdict would likely be the same. Hitting someone who has walked away from behind and kicking them while down is a scummy act of assault.

If it had stopped at the two of them slapping each other I'd probably agree both were at fault but this guy continued it. This is not a case of one law for the woman and another for the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Could be worse, he could have stabbed her and got away with it like that girl studying medicine in Oxford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

McGaggs wrote: »
    I haven't read the article, but I'm sure it ends with him being let off because he has such a good future in medicine ahead of him. Happens all the time when medical students end up in court.

I'm sure he'll make a fine Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

It's true to say she has been no angel in this case. Whatever bee was in her bonnet with him should never reached physical level in terms of dealing with it. Shoving the food in his face and her part of the slapping match shows that she doesn't know how to deal with conflict either.

It cannot be denied however, that he went above and beyond to ensure she got her comeuppance. Actually following her, continuing to kick and punch her.

I can tell you something for nothing. I wouldn't want him anywhere near me as a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Both in the wrong, he went way too far in retaliation. Hopefully they can both move on with lessons learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Estrellita wrote: »
    It's true to say she has been no angel in this case. Whatever bee was in her bonnet with him should never reached physical level in terms of dealing with it. Shoving the food in his face and her part of the slapping match shows that she doesn't know how to deal with conflict either.

It cannot be denied however, that he went above and beyond to ensure she got her comeuppance. Actually following her, continuing to kick and punch her.

I can tell you something for nothing. I wouldn't want him anywhere near me as a doctor.

This really is not a "both parties were at fault" scenario. His behaviour was completely disturbing and warped. He could have murdered her, if he had done so would you have made a similar post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Outside of throwing a takeaway at him I'm not sure what she did to deserve a beating...am I missing something?

I think she slapped him a few times too. But his behaviour was more out of line going by that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I think she slapped him a few times too. But his behaviour was more out of line going by that report.

Yes, just a smidge out of line is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Both in the wrong, he went way too far in retaliation. Hopefully they can both move on with lessons learned.

Hopefully he does six months in the joy at least. Dirt bag won't be feeling like a big man when he's taken out of Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

"Hugh Moody (23) attacked the trainee pharmacist when she pushed a takeaway meal in his face."

She started it, therefore he was right.

• Advertisement

Could be worse, he could have stabbed her and got away with it like that girl studying medicine in Oxford.

Different jurisdiction. It’s not really relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

maxsmum wrote:
    Or, maybe because there were mitigating circumstances and because he has never offended before. That happens all the time with most first offenders, actually. Read the article.

Yes..it used to be called a Drunken Domestic...and they can get out of hand if there's booze involved.
    Although the woman attacked first his reaction was over the top.
    Something similar happened me years ago where an ex tried to glass me...I shoved her backwards and she fell over,she wasnt injured but pretended to be,threatening all kinds of dire repercussions...ten seconds earlier she was trying to blind me with a broken glass....if I'd actually hit her I'm sure that little fact would've been overlooked in the hue and cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Vic_08

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Yes..it used to be called a Drunken Domestic...and they can get out of hand if there's booze involved.
    Although the woman attacked first his reaction was over the top.
    Something similar happened me years ago where an ex tried to glass me...I shoved her backwards and she fell over,she wasnt injured but pretended to be,threatening all kinds of dire repercussions...ten seconds earlier she was trying to blind me with a broken glass....if I'd actually hit her I'm sure that little fact would've been overlooked in the hue and cry.

Anybody that can't see the difference between a shove/slap during a fight and a sustained one-sided attack after the other party has retreated is either intentionally ignoring the facts to make a point or is a fukking idiot.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    This really is not a "both parties were at fault" scenario. His behaviour was completely disturbing and warped. He could have murdered her, if he had done so would you have made a similar post?

No where in my post did I say that both parties were at fault. I merely broke down the incident as I understand it happened. Next you'll be saying I'm indicating she deserved it. Your posts need to chill the fúck out.

Given how incredibly violent he was, the fact that he lost all control and pursued her to punch and kick her, trying to get to her when she was locked in another room, the petty nastiness behind emptying the drink all over her, I would happily bet that this won't be the last time he inflicts violence on some woman. He really should seek professional help to address the underlying cause for that level of rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Estrellita wrote: »
    No where in my post did I say that both parties were at fault. I merely broke down the incident as I understand it happened. Next you'll be saying I'm indicating she deserved it. Your posts need to chill the fúck out.

Why was there any need to comment on her conflict management? She's literally been through a serious trauma, I'm in no rush to be judging her.. Which plenty in this thread are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Instant karma.

Why was there any need to comment on her conflict management?
    What, are you the discussion board police? It's either pitch forks or get told off by a hysterical. He's a dangerous man. I get it.
    She's literally been through a serious trauma.

Yes, believe it or not I did actually read the article. Please, waste the rest of your Sunday picking someone else's posts apart, I've no interest in your drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

RayM wrote: »
    Tell me about it. Can't even punch a woman to the ground, repeatedly kick her, pour coke all over her, and then, when she manages to escape to another room, try to kick the door in without ending up in court. It's just so tough being a man these days. :(
    Totally agree, well said Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Adjourning the case, Judge Gerard Jones said he would treat Moody "very fairly" if he paid compensation to his 22-year-old victim.

A cop out from the judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is a no brainier for me. He is totally to blame. She pushed a take away in his face and gets the absolute shlt kicked out of her for it. To kick another person when they're lying on the ground is scumbag behaviour.

Worrying that people think she shares some of the responsibility for his disgusting actions towards her. Precarious times indeed but people are losing the ability to see right from wrong in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Have they broken up, or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

_Dara_ wrote: »

Different jurisdiction. It’s not really relevant.

Plus it doesn't fit the men bashing agenda of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this chap needs to be locked up for a long long time. he is a danger to society IMO.

absolutely she shouldn't have thrown a takeaway in his face but a "what did you do that for" is enough as a responce.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not at all. It's a different country. We don't know what sentence she would have received over here.

Can you explain what light sentencing in another jurisdiction has to do with this court case?

Do you not think that this guy deserves to be bashed based on the information provided? If not, why not?

It's man bashing. One man, who beat up his girlfriend and kicked her while she was on the ground then tried to break down the door of the room she locked herself in so he could do it some more.

Not men bashing, just the one guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Why was there any need to comment on her conflict management? She's literally been through a serious trauma, I'm in no rush to be judging her.. Which plenty in this thread are.

Are you forgetting the part where she escalated an argument to physical assault by shoving food in his face and slapping him. If I was the judge I'd have fined them both 5000. With the money going to male and female domestic violence charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

backspin. wrote: »
    Are you forgetting the part where she escalated an argument to physical assault by shoving food in his face and slapping him. If I was the judge I'd have fined them both 5000. With the money going to male and female domestic violence charities.

What a weird post

You think their actions were not merely comparable, but should result in the exact same penalty? That pushing food in someone's face is the exact same as a very violent and prolonged assault?

I disagree. Did he even make a complaint that he was assaulted? Did he look for her to be prosecuted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Boyz in fairness.....in no world is knocking someone to the ground and repeatedly kicking them anyway an appropriate response to someone throwing food into your face?

Advertisement