Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Switching offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dk1979

Took this offer and had BB installed on Saturday - All Good so far - Cannot fault it.

Was with Virgin before taking this offer. Does anyone know whether it is Eir or Me that needs to contact Virgin to cancel original broadband.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

I think it was a mistake to sign contract with Eir.

tried to contact them via online chat - "Sorry, chat is not currently available"

email - "We are currently upgrading our email platform in order to improve the service provided to you. During this essential upgrade, the “Contact Us” email function will be temporarily disabled. If your query is urgent or you are looking to follow up on a logged issue, please contact us through our contact channels listed above."

Finally chat is online -"Sorry we not able to help -call to 1901 or 1800503303"

fu**ing circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

dk1979 wrote: »
    Took this offer and had BB installed on Saturday - All Good so far - Cannot fault it.

Was with Virgin before taking this offer. Does anyone know whether it is Eir or Me that needs to contact Virgin to cancel original broadband.

Thanks

You do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

You do.

If contract has expired you don't need to contact. There is no obligation, same as when switching electricity and gas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People generally don't post when they're happy with something.
    There are a lot of stories of problems here.
    My story started off with no issue for the first five months but then things started to go wrong and it kept getting worse.
    If you had one or two complaints it wouldn't be a major concern but there are loads of them. People are only posting here to help others make an informed decision.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    If contract has expired you don't need to contact. There is no obligation, same as when switching electricity and gas etc.

No no no no no no no no.

It is NOT the same as switching electricity.

If you switch from Virgin to Eir, YOU MUST cancel with Virgin and YOU MUST give them 30 days notice, even if you are out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

No no no no no no no no.

If you switch from Virgin to Eir, YOU MUST cancel with Virgin and YOU MUST give them 30 days notice, even if you are out of contract.

In the case of Vodafone and if you are out of contract, you do not have to tell them you are switching. I just moved to Eir. When Eir took over the line, my Vodafone account stopped. Very simple.

I would have thought all providers are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

jonnyha wrote: »
    In the case of Vodafone and if you are out of contract, you do not have to tell them you are switching. I just moved to Eir. When Eir took over the line, my Vodafone account stopped. Very simple.

I would have thought all providers are the same.

Vodafone and Eir use the same phone line / cable, Virgin is a different cable. Nothing stopping you having both Eir and VM broadband independent of each other.

You have to cancel VM yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

No no no no no no no no.

This +1!!

In the event you're moving from Virgin to Eir you MUST contact Virgin to cancel your existing subscription. It is not the same as moving from Vodafone to Eir or Sky to Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dk1979

Thanks for your feedback on this.

When I queried the signup procedure with Eir chat last month, they told me the following:

"Once your broadband gets installed, Automatically virgin connection will be terminated. installation will be in 5-7 working days"

To be safe I sent an email to Virgin to cancel. Not sure if info from Eir above is entirely true?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your feedback on this.

When I queried the signup procedure with Eir chat last month, they told me the following:

"Once your broadband gets installed, Automatically virgin connection will be terminated. installation will be in 5-7 working days"

To be safe I sent an email to Virgin to cancel. Not sure if info from Eir above is entirely true?

No, it's not even remotely true.

Eir can cancel your Sky broadband/phone because they both use the same lines and the same UAN number. That is like switching your electricity, you only have one Meter Number, so you can't have two providers.

Virgin is completely separate because it uses a totally different system. It would be like switching electricity provider and asking them to cancel your travel insurance while they're at it.

If you don't get explicit confirmation from Virgin that they got your email and your 30-day notice period has begun, call them on 1901.

edit: from Eir's own website: https://www.eir.ie/support/just-joined/Switching-to-eir/
    If moving your phone and broadband from Sky or Vodafone, we will be able to switch the line over to eir once you provide us with the UAN number with no break in service.

Virgin customers will be required to cancel the service with Virgin Media and have an eir line installed/re-activated as part of their order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

I still haven't got Christmas 50e cashback. Contacted reps here 2 days ago so hopefully they will help. Not really sure why I should keep trying to get it. I mostly switched for that 50e

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Have been with Eircom/Eir for longer than I care to admit.

Live in single site house 'in the country' so broadband was never too good - 1.5Mb/s on a v. good day - over Christmas it was mostly non-existent. Anyway got 'bing bong' at the door recently and told by Eir engineer that Fibre in the home now installed in the area and should call the Eir sales people.

Called last week - feck all discount as I am existing customer, put through to loyalty department and still feck all discount. Anyway decided to go with an offer made over the phone and gave bank details to get direct debit discount. Agreed date and time for engineer to call. Have to add was not entirely happy with the conversation but was advised I would get an email - they asked for my email address.

Got two letters and a text over the past day:

1. Letter confirming contract details does not match what I was offered on the phone.

2. Separate letter confirming the account details for DD and the account details are incorrect. Letter advises I have seven days from date of letter to correct any errors - letter is undated.

3. Got text confirming engineer appointment to install fibre cable and it is neither the agreed date nor time of appointment (morning or afternoon).

4. No email to date.

They have made a mistake in every material part of the transaction. There is no email address on the contract offer letter and the (poorly drafted) section in the letter to cancel the contract has to be posted.

As an Eir engineer is coming tomorrow, I contacted Eir talk this evening and neither of two groups of people on Eir chat (I was passed around) could cancel the order until I have a correct contract offer. I was advised to call 1901 in the morning but as the account is in my wife's name we will both have to be present on the call. She starts work at 8am and Eir 1901 line only opens at 9am. Earliest we can call will be about 4pm by which time engineer may have called.

Open to suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks

You, the phone will cancel if you port the number but you still need to cancel the broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

mkov wrote: »
    I still haven't got Christmas 50e cashback. Contacted reps here 2 days ago so hopefully they will help. Not really sure why I should keep trying to get it. I mostly switched for that 50e

I got the €50 cashback on Monday. Installation date was 28th Nov so took roughly 6 weeks to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

No no no no no no no no.

I never contacted Vodafone when I switched to eir, it was all done by them, received a last letter from Vodafone and that was it

No no no no no no no no.

I never contacted Vodafone when I switched to eir, it was all done by them, received a last letter from Vodafone and that was it

Aaand I've just seen the other posts explaining why, my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Just finished up a multitude of chat and call fob offs with this company. Never in my life have I experienced such unprofessionalism, outright lies and bullsh@t mixed in with incompetence.

First they changed the agreed installation date. The contract stated 18 months instead of 12. On contacting Chat I was fobbed off by people with poor understanding of basic English all while reading from their robotic script. Eir's and graces 1901 phone number wouldn't even recognize my allocated account number! This meant I couldn't even talk to a rep. Eventually I got another number from the Chat team which was connections. They connected me to puffs of Eir while postponing my installation date much further afield. After a long hold they put me through to a pleasant enough young lady who was more interested in giving me another number to be placed on hold again than deal with these issues. Guaranteeing me and not guaranteeing me a future morning connection in the same breath. Basically lying to me. I cancelled the whole installation or hope I did. I wouldn't put anything past this bunch. I've had my dealings with Virgin in its various guises over the years but never faced this sort of incompetence met from Eir. I pity anyone who has a future issue and has to deal with this company. For now I'll stick with Virgin and their six months half price deal.

I still haven't gotten sorted with my €917 bill, keep being told over the phone that they know this is an incorrect sum, but does whichever system used to collect direct debits know this?
    They told me that the app doesnt update the correct bill as quickly because it's a separate system but logging into their website gives the same bill!
    They totally refuse to send any confirmation by email that I am being incorrectly charged,
    I have contacted them again and told I would receive a response within two working days, nothing in a week.

I bought items off Ali express and when I had issues, they responded right away and sorted everything out, but a crowd a few hours up the road are impossible to deal with!!!
    Will be hoping I have grounds to cancel my contract after this, worst customer service ever

Customer service agent promised that sale team representative will contact me in 2-3 days, 5 days passed, still silence.
    They all the time lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Well at least anyone reading material here cannot say they have not been forewarned re dealing with eir. Unfortunately a lot of people have no choice but to deal with them, but that's the great little corrupt country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was with Eir on the unlimited broadband package and I got hit with a €62.50 excess usage charge on my bill this month. I have switched to Sky, €35 a month and truly unlimited. 4K tv can use 7gbs an hour, Eir has a fair usage policy of 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DonJose wrote: »
    4K tv can use 7gbs an hour

You can bet your bottom dollar if everyone was using that much data the unlimited would end very quickly. There's only so much bandwidth available. Virgin Media have a massive amount of 500GB but they know most people probably barely use 100GB

The companies still have to pay for the bandwidth - it's not free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

fritzelly wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar if everyone was using that much data the unlimited would end very quickly. There's only so much bandwidth available. Virgin Media have a massive amount of 500GB but they know most people probably barely use 100GB

very easy to go over 1tb nowadays if u have a 4k tv streaming netflix,kids watching youtube,iptv etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Did anyone go through the SuperValu real rewards site and successfully get points?

Was told I didn't have a 'click through'...

Still waiting on the 50 quid too.

I still waiting for the €50 too.

1 week ago customer service agent promised -3-6 working days max.

still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

boege wrote: »
    Have been with Eircom/Eir for longer than I care to admit.

Live in single site house 'in the country' so broadband was never too good - 1.5Mb/s on a v. good day - over Christmas it was mostly non-existent. Anyway got 'bing bong' at the door recently and told by Eir engineer that Fibre in the home now installed in the area and should call the Eir sales people.

Called last week - feck all discount as I am existing customer, put through to loyalty department and still feck all discount. Anyway decided to go with an offer made over the phone and gave bank details to get direct debit discount. Agreed date and time for engineer to call. Have to add was not entirely happy with the conversation but was advised I would get an email - they asked for my email address.

Got two letters and a text over the past day:

1. Letter confirming contract details does not match what I was offered on the phone.

2. Separate letter confirming the account details for DD and the account details are incorrect. Letter advises I have seven days from date of letter to correct any errors - letter is undated.

3. Got text confirming engineer appointment to install fibre cable and it is neither the agreed date nor time of appointment (morning or afternoon).

4. No email to date.

They have made a mistake in every material part of the transaction. There is no email address on the contract offer letter and the (poorly drafted) section in the letter to cancel the contract has to be posted.

As an Eir engineer is coming tomorrow, I contacted Eir talk this evening and neither of two groups of people on Eir chat (I was passed around) could cancel the order until I have a correct contract offer. I was advised to call 1901 in the morning but as the account is in my wife's name we will both have to be present on the call. She starts work at 8am and Eir 1901 line only opens at 9am. Earliest we can call will be about 4pm by which time engineer may have called.

Open to suggestions?

Interested in how you got on with these crowd after. Seems like if you were able to contact them to direct them to listen back to your recorded phone call then it may have sorted a many problems.

I had a similar issue after signing up to vodafone mobile a few months back, only vodafones incompetence resulted them in issuing free credit that wasn't due.

I was only after discovering the record phone call setting on my Xioami Redmi 4 and so was able to quote what the rep had said to me. It is frightening to think that customers should have to rely on such technology to get what was promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fritzelly wrote: »

All Virgin media unlimited (home) broadband has no FUP. Same with old UPC packages bar a tiny number of legacy 30mb packages from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

For ppl waiting for cashback - there is no chance that anyone will get in before cooling period will finish(14 days).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

loki7777 wrote: »
    For ppl waiting for cashback - there is no chance that anyone will get in before cooling period will finish(14 days).

we know that, most of us have been waiting more than 4 weeks and still nothing

Advertisement